The USAA Bank Thread, Version 3.0

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Since the previous two "ultimate" USAA Bank threads (the original thread by GoCowboys and the 2.0 thread by DaveHanson) are closed, I took the liberty to open this one, version 3.0. Below is the extract from the previous thread. Hope it helps. USAA checking and savings accounts are now open to general public.

GENERAL INFORMATION:

To gain access to the full website, you need a member number. There is no obligation, and this will allow you to see USAA's full product range. Call 1-800-531-2265 if you are elligible to do so.

Routing Number: 314074269

Eligibility Requirements
- Property and Casualty Insurance: To get property or casualty insurance from USAA, you have to have a military affiliation.
- Banking: Open to general public

Features of Checking Accounts

T&C: link

General
- No monthly service fees and no minimum balance required
- Free bill pay (no balance or direct deposit requirements)
- Free checks for the life of the account (custom blue USAA non-duplicate checks, one box per order)
- $25 to open. New accounts can be funded by mailing a check, by initiating an ACH transfer from another bank, or by using a credit/debit card ($500 maximum on credit/debit cards; may be treated as "cash advance").
- Next-day single-party check deposits via most UPS stores (free envelopes). "Easy Deposit" This deposit method allows members to send checks overnight via UPS for posting the next day. Dropping off a free envelope at any UPS store before the UPS cutoff time will get funds posted the next day.
- Deposit checks instantly with a computer and scanner with or from an iPhone™ or Android™ smart phone (must have military affiliation to qualify).

ATM
- Free Debit MasterCard
- "Free ATMs nationwide." USAA Bank refunds up to $15 in other banks' ATM usage fees each month and does not charge a fee for the first 10 ATM withdrawals. Subsequent transactions will be charged $2.00 each. (The ATM surcharge rebates and Debit Card rebates are deposited into your account automatically at the end of the statement cycle; you do not have to mail in ATM receipts for the ATM surcharge rebate.)
- A 1% foreign transaction fee applies to ATM withdrawals outside the United States.
- You cannot make deposits at a non-USAA ATM.

ACH
- USAA has an ACH transfer capability which allows you to electronically transfer funds from any of your other bank accounts at other financial institutions. The service is very fast.
- ACH transfers into a USAA account requested before 8:00 p.m. Central Time will be used to pay checks the same night.
- ACH transfers involving non-USAA accounts are limited to an aggregate $5,000 per day, including future/scheduled transfers. These limits can be increased upon request and review by the bank. Also, larger amounts can be moved on a per-request basis by speaking with representatives or their supervisors.
- DaveHanson cautions people from using USAA simply to transfer funds to and from other bank accounts. There are several reported cases of USAA closing accounts when they determine they are being used simply as "transfer accounts."

Bill Pay
With Bill Pay, there are 3 different ways that a payment could be made (remember that "Payment Date" means the date you want the payee to receive the payment):
- Electronic Payment - the funds for the bill payment are withdrawn from your account on the Payment Date.
- Check Payment - funds are withdrawn when the payee cashes the check.
- "Guaranteed Funds" Check Payment - funds are withdrawn on the Payment Date.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I received the letter several weeks ago, and yes, I can confirm I now am able to use remote deposit. Was never able to a... (more)

bksavings (Jul. 16, 2013 @ 10:39a) |

Thanks bksavings! I never would have gone back to try again, except for your post. I just tried again (see above - I t... (more)

civ2k1 (Jul. 16, 2013 @ 10:48p) |

I was able to successfully use mobile deposit, and I'm not eligible for P&C... yet.

jb0506 (Jul. 17, 2013 @ 9:58a) |

Question to those who have USAA checking: they say "USAA Bank refunds up to $15 in other banks' ATM usage fees each month and does not charge a fee for the first 10 ATM withdrawals;" is it for U.S. ATMs only, or they refund international ATM surcharges worldwide within this $15 monthly limit?

ymf said:   Question to those who have USAA checking: they say "USAA Bank refunds up to $15 in other banks' ATM usage fees each month and does not charge a fee for the first 10 ATM withdrawals;" is it for U.S. ATMs only, or they refund international ATM surcharges worldwide within this $15 monthly limit?

They refund my ATM withdrawal fees here in Turkey. Foreign currency conversion fees were not refunded, however I am mostly able to find ATMs that allow you to not convert. Still shows up on USAA in USD, but without the added conversion fee. YMMV.

wow, FWF being read from Turkey! The Net has changed the world.

Time to remake movie Midnight Express.

ymf said:   Question to those who have USAA checking: they say "USAA Bank refunds up to $15 in other banks' ATM usage fees each month and does not charge a fee for the first 10 ATM withdrawals;" is it for U.S. ATMs only, or they refund international ATM surcharges worldwide within this $15 monthly limit?

I regularly withdrew dollars and euros from BoA ATMs on Germany/Italy installations with a USAA Debit card. Never was assessed a fee. The $3 fee from third-party ATMs was always refunded the following month.

Thanks for taking this over, ymf.

That reminds me, I have friend who had their accounts with USAA closed a couple years back. He assures me no bounced checks, losses, or fraud--he thinks it was just too much activity on the account, too agressive with features like check deposits, et cetera. Says he never got a clear explanation, just a form letter.

So, I thought I'd ask if anyone whose accounts were closed by USAA were ever able to open new ones after a certain period of time? I'm thinking that since we all have member numbers that are tied to our SS, that might not work as well there as with other banks...

For amouunt over $5K cheque,Easy Deposit at selected UPS store is way better to send by mail. You need bring your USAA ATM/Debit MasterCard with you. Not sure if non-member could do it.

Just wanted to drop a note. Saw last week on my USAA AMEX there is a new balance transfer offer for 0% with no fees until July 2013. Few days later I got a convenience check in the mail to use with the offer. Check must hit my account between June 12 and July 4 to be eligible.

rechtien, where did you see this offer on the website? TIA!

FW10001 said:   wow, FWF being read from Turkey! The Net has changed the world.

I've read FW from Asia, Europe, South and Central America and also the Caribbean for the last 7 years. For the picky ones; I was under another membership name back then.

BradisBrad said:   rechtien, where did you see this offer on the website? TIA!
In my experience it's intermittently offered for EXISTING USAA MasterCard cardholders.
I've never seen it as a signup promo offer.

Have always been pleased with USAA (which is a pretty unusual thing to say about your bank).
Phone reps are usually able to resolve any issues I have without having to transfer me and always make me feel like they're truly trying to help (as opposed to just trying to get me off the phone).
USAA also tends to be on the cutting edge with their new products. They've been rebating ATM surcharges for years on their standard accounts (which still isn't common with most bank accounts) and their deposit by computer/phone feature was available at no charge before being offered on consumer accounts by most major banks.

imbatman said:   BradisBrad said:   rechtien, where did you see this offer on the website? TIA!
In my experience it's intermittently offered for EXISTING USAA MasterCard cardholders.
I've never seen it as a signup promo offer.

I have 2 USAA Mastercard's but haven't ever seen or even heard of a BT promo offer, which is why I was curious. I've still got a 4% promo rate from my deployment so I might break the #1 rule of FWF and call to see if any other promo's are existing, without mentioning I read about some dude who got one.

ymf said:   USAA checking and savings accounts are now open to general public.

- Banking: Open to general public

- Deposit checks instantly with a computer and scanner with or from an iPhone™ or Android™ smart phone (must have military affiliation to qualify).

Is the instant deposit really not open to all members? This seems odd... Wondering if this is old info copied from the thread before they opened up to all.

I have always heard that they are a great bank but were restricted to military. Good news. Thanks, OP!

You have to have a credit card with them to use Deposit @ Home or @ Mobile. For instance, my husband and I have a joint USAA checking and Savings. He has a credit card with them; I don't. He can use D@H or D@M, I cannot (on my login). He is not military...in fact, the feature did not appear for him until he opened the credit card, and he confirmed that the card is what opened that feature.

I am using USAA prem. credit monitoring service so I believe I have USAA membership, just wondering if opening checking/saving accounts will result in hard pull? After opening these banking accounts, would it possible for me to apply for their credit card products? I don't know if it matters but I am PenFed member but no affiliation with Military.

TIA

Pobre said:   You have to have a credit card with them to use Deposit @ Home or @ Mobile. For instance, my husband and I have a joint USAA checking and Savings. He has a credit card with them; I don't. He can use D@H or D@M, I cannot (on my login). He is not military...in fact, the feature did not appear for him until he opened the credit card, and he confirmed that the card is what opened that feature.

You need to be eligible for insurance. I have had a credit card with them for years but never had access to the Deposit@Home feature. This is one of the reasons I've just maintained the account out of habit but given the proliferation of deposit/scan options for home use by other institutions I don't find USAA to be as competitive any more.

Lurker1999 said:   Pobre said:   You have to have a credit card with them to use Deposit @ Home or @ Mobile. For instance, my husband and I have a joint USAA checking and Savings. He has a credit card with them; I don't. He can use D@H or D@M, I cannot (on my login). He is not military...in fact, the feature did not appear for him until he opened the credit card, and he confirmed that the card is what opened that feature.

You need to be eligible for insurance. I have had a credit card with them for years but never had access to the Deposit@Home feature. This is one of the reasons I've just maintained the account out of habit but given the proliferation of deposit/scan options for home use by other institutions I don't find USAA to be as competitive any more.

Insurance alone will not give you access. We have had insurance with them for a long time. It wasn't until the CC was opened that we gained access to D@H.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/bank_deposit

Pobre said:   Lurker1999 said:   Pobre said:   You have to have a credit card with them to use Deposit @ Home or @ Mobile. For instance, my husband and I have a joint USAA checking and Savings. He has a credit card with them; I don't. He can use D@H or D@M, I cannot (on my login). He is not military...in fact, the feature did not appear for him until he opened the credit card, and he confirmed that the card is what opened that feature.

Insurance alone will not give you access. We have had insurance with them for a long time. It wasn't until the CC was opened that we gained access to D@H.

I think you're missing the point. You have insurance with them, so although you are not military, someone in your family was and therefore allowed you to buy insurance through USAA. You can therefore gain access to deposit@home by simply opening a credit card. If you do not have insurance and are not eligible for insurance it does not matter if you have a credit card with them, they will not give you access to deposit@home or mobile.

Lurker1999 said:   Pobre said:   Lurker1999 said:   Pobre said:   You have to have a credit card with them to use Deposit @ Home or @ Mobile. For instance, my husband and I have a joint USAA checking and Savings. He has a credit card with them; I don't. He can use D@H or D@M, I cannot (on my login). He is not military...in fact, the feature did not appear for him until he opened the credit card, and he confirmed that the card is what opened that feature.

I think you're missing the point. You have insurance with them, so although you are not military, someone in your family was and therefore allowed you to buy insurance through USAA. You can therefore gain access to deposit@home by simply opening a credit card. If you do not have insurance and are not eligible for insurance it does not matter if you have a credit card with them, they will not give you access to deposit@home or mobile.

Again, insurance alone will not give you access. You need a combination of CC AND insurance. And, yes, by default, you need to be eligible for insurance. I have never disputed that. But, in order to use D@H or D@M, you need a combination (see link I provided).

Pobre said:   

Again, insurance alone will not give you access. You need a combination of CC AND insurance. And, yes, by default, you need to be eligible for insurance. I have never disputed that. But, in order to use D@H or D@M, you need a combination (see link I provided).

Thanks for answering my question and providing the links.

FW10001 said:   wow, FWF being read from Turkey! The Net has changed the world.

Absolutely! Its helped me in a multitude of ways. I'm starting the process of buying a home at our next duty location (in the U.S.) and trying to do almost all of it while still living in Turkey. It's going to be a fun learning experience

edit: Which reminds me of another USAA perk. They work with a number of third party insurance carriers to provide insurance coverage on your vehicle while stationed overseas. Using myself as an example, USAA handles the front end and the local Turkish insurance carrier takes care of the back end. Customer service, selecting coverage amounts, making payments ,etc.. is handled directly through USAA and is no different than using them in the states. They also take care of any additional requirements needed for insurance in the country. We shopped around after settling in and found local insurance providers were cheaper, albeit not by much.

Pobre said:   

Actually your link says you must BE QUALIFIED FOR a CC, not that you have to actually have one.

I have home+auto insurance with USAA, savings+checking with USAA. I DO NOT have a USAA CC. I have USAA mobile deposit on my iPhone and use it all the time.

I have received mailings saying I am pre-approved for a USAA CC, so apparently I am qualified for one, but I have never opened one.

IamN41 said:   Pobre said:   

Actually your link says you must BE QUALIFIED FOR a CC, not that you have to actually have one.

I have home+auto insurance with USAA, savings+checking with USAA. I DO NOT have a USAA CC. I have USAA mobile deposit on my iPhone and use it all the time.

I have received mailings saying I am pre-approved for a USAA CC, so apparently I am qualified for one, but I have never opened one.

Interesting, when I signed up earlier in the year I was told by the phone rep I needed a USAA CC or loan account to get mobile deposit (I opened CC). I do qualify for insurance through them but don't actually have it.

I am not even a US citizen and I was able to get a checking and savings account with them. They have great Android and iOS apps too. It's the best bank I have dealt with. As I have no US army affiliation, I do not get insurance, CC, loan services or the deposit by phone feature. And yes I happen to make use of their ATM refund feature about once or twice a month. I don't need to worry about any fees any more

USAA is also the only bank with a Windows Phone app that's got any feature parity with the other platforms. In the last few weeks the app has started crashing pretty regularly but I am still able to use the app to do what I need and the Deposit@Mobile feature works without any issues.

As for mysterious account closures, I did get my account frozen awhile back when I was using it to deposit a bunch of checks and transfer the amounts to savings. I was annoyed because it's my primary bank (i.e. not used solely as a "transfer hub") and I've had it open and active without any derogatory events for many years. I also have insurance and a credit card with them. Particularly annoying was that they didn't notify me that the account was frozen, I just discovered it by accident when I realized that my credit card ACH auto-payments were suddenly being rejected and I could no longer transfer funds on the website. It took multiple calls, escalations, and several hours on the phone to get it undone, but they did end up unfreezing the account.

okwiater said:   USAA is also the only bank with a Windows Phone app that's got any feature parity with the other platforms. In the last few weeks the app has started crashing pretty regularly but I am still able to use the app to do what I need and the Deposit@Mobile feature works without any issues.

As for mysterious account closures, I did get my account frozen awhile back when I was using it to deposit a bunch of checks and transfer the amounts to savings. I was annoyed because it's my primary bank (i.e. not used solely as a "transfer hub") and I've had it open and active without any derogatory events for many years. I also have insurance and a credit card with them. Particularly annoying was that they didn't notify me that the account was frozen, I just discovered it by accident when I realized that my credit card ACH auto-payments were suddenly being rejected and I could no longer transfer funds on the website. It took multiple calls, escalations, and several hours on the phone to get it undone, but they did end up unfreezing the account.

That much time trying to get a problem resolved is an irritant. USAA has been my bank for years and I utilize all of their services. Thankfully I have never been locked up.

liquidh2o said:   ymf said:   Question to those who have USAA checking: they say "USAA Bank refunds up to $15 in other banks' ATM usage fees each month and does not charge a fee for the first 10 ATM withdrawals;" is it for U.S. ATMs only, or they refund international ATM surcharges worldwide within this $15 monthly limit?

They refund my ATM withdrawal fees here in Turkey. Foreign currency conversion fees were not refunded, however I am mostly able to find ATMs that allow you to not convert. Still shows up on USAA in USD, but without the added conversion fee. YMMV.

My experience internationally has not been as successful for ATM fees.

I withdrew money from many ATMs in different foreign countries/banks I know I accepted an ATM fee, but it was lumped into the larger transaction. I never got the ATM refund.

recent experiences: Japan, Mexico, mid-east, Singapore, Italy (Rome)

It might just depend on the foreign bank and how they write their transactions.

m

runaway76 said:   

I withdrew money from many ATMs in different foreign countries/banks I know I accepted an ATM fee, but it was lumped into the larger transaction. I never got the ATM refund.

recent experiences: Japan, Mexico, mid-east, Singapore, Italy (Rome)

Interesting. I've never seen an ATM in Italy that charges a surcharge. Was it in a very touristy area?

Did you question USAA on their policy vs. your experiences?

Since USAA recently changed (improved?) their online security, their website is not recognizing my computer. Every time I log on, I am asked a security question, then I get an email notifying me that I've registered a new device.

Mac OS X 10.6.8 on two different computers, an iMac and a MacBook. I've tried several browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Camino), cleared and reset cookies, and all have the same problem.

I've contacted USAA and so far have only gotten the form response (make sure you accept cookies, blah blah blah).

Anyone else having problems with logging in to USAA lately?

UncaMikey said:   Since USAA recently changed (improved?) their online security, their website is not recognizing my computer. Every time I log on, I am asked a security question, then I get an email notifying me that I've registered a new device.

Mac OS X 10.6.8 on two different computers, an iMac and a MacBook. I've tried several browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Camino), cleared and reset cookies, and all have the same problem.

I've contacted USAA and so far have only gotten the form response (make sure you accept cookies, blah blah blah).

Anyone else having problems with logging in to USAA lately?

Your PC should be set to accept and keep the cookies from USAA for you to be able to be recognized w/o having to answer security questions every time. Ensure your browser isn't set up to clear history on exit and to keep the USAA cookies.

fattywallace said:   Your PC should be set to accept and keep the cookies from USAA for you to be able to be recognized w/o having to answer security questions every time. Ensure your browser isn't set up to clear history on exit and to keep the USAA cookies.
As I said, it's not working the way it's supposed to.

UncaMikey said:   fattywallace said:   Your PC should be set to accept and keep the cookies from USAA for you to be able to be recognized w/o having to answer security questions every time. Ensure your browser isn't set up to clear history on exit and to keep the USAA cookies.

I'm having the exact same issue. And yes I've checked cookie settings.

scubasteve said:   UncaMikey said:   fattywallace said:   Your PC should be set to accept and keep the cookies from USAA for you to be able to be recognized w/o having to answer security questions every time. Ensure your browser isn't set up to clear history on exit and to keep the USAA cookies.

I'm having the exact same issue. And yes I've checked cookie settings.

I do not experience the issue you describe using Internet Explorer, Safari, or Chrome.
When you answer the security question, are you checking "Yes. This is a computer that I trust and use regularly"?
Is your IP address changing from one USAA login to another?

mm04 said:   I do not experience the issue you describe using Internet Explorer, Safari, or Chrome.
When you answer the security question, are you checking "Yes. This is a computer that I trust and use regularly"?

All the simple and obvious things have been repeatedly checked, but as I said, it's not working properly. This is a problem only with USAA, only since they've "improved" their security protocols.

Fortunately, I can't try IE because I'm using a Mac.

OK, I tried one last time, with Opera, same problem, more emails telling me I've registered a new device.

Maybe it's a Mac problem?

UncaMikey said:   OK, I tried one last time, with Opera, same problem, more emails telling me I've registered a new device.

Maybe it's a Mac problem?

Do you have a Windows partition on your mac by chance? If so, you could try that. Inconvenient, but you would know..

UncaMikey said:   mm04 said:   I do not experience the issue you describe using Internet Explorer, Safari, or Chrome.

All the simple and obvious things have been repeatedly checked, but as I said, it's not working properly. This is a problem only with USAA, only since they've "improved" their security protocols.

Fortunately, I can't try IE because I'm using a Mac.

I too use a MacBook Pro (OS-X 10.8.1. Safari Version 6.0). Sorry I can't help.

Skipping 35 Messages...
I was able to successfully use mobile deposit, and I'm not eligible for P&C... yet.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014