The USAA Bank Thread, Version 3.0

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Thanks for the responses. No Windows partition on my Mac, and I'm not sure I want to put much more effort into this. USAA is not my primary account, so I'll wait until I hear from them again and will post an update here.

Update: no message from USAA, but login now works fine, no question about registering my computer, etc.

Since I have changed nothing on my end, it's safe to say that it was a problem on their end, and that it's now fixed.

Just had a checking account closed at USAA with no warning prior to or even after it was closed. The account did have a zero balance. I called a CSR and they could find no record of the account and said they could not reopen the account under the same number. They only offered to open another account with a different number - not what I wanted. I understand banks wanting to closeout unused accounts, but with no warning before or after the closure?!?!?!?! Come on!

That closing with a zero balance thing happened to my daughter. If there is a 0 balance for so many days (72? 90?) it is irrevocably closed, according to the CSR.

rooms222 said:   That closing with a zero balance thing happened to my daughter. If there is a 0 balance for so many days (72? 90?) it is irrevocably closed, according to the CSR.

A few years ago I had a USAA savings account disappear like that also. I wasn't using it anymore so I didn't even bother calling them.

Isn't this standard bank practice? I know I have had similar experiences with bank accounts that I left dormant. AFAIK, no bank ever sent me a courtesy letter first.

My USAA checking account stopped accepting new ach links with other bank accounts. It no longer sends out trial deposits and outside account status turns "restricted" right after entering request.

Uhh, thanks for the warning, but why mention it? It doesn't seem like this is widespread behavior for others (and definitely not for my account with USAA). Did you try calling them for an explanation?

Or more bluntly - were you using your USAA as an ACH clearing house rather than as an actual bank? That will get you on a restricted list very quickly.

Do you have signature authorization on the account that you added? If not, the account will remain restricted for 4-5 days. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you're seeing that.

Since I'm not able to search the other two archived threads, I figured this would be a safe place to ask my questions (and yes I did read this entire thread) - is there a hard credit pull for opening the checking account? Does USAA offer next day ACH transfers for new customers, or is there some sort of waiting period? And is there a limit to the number of accounts you can link for ACH? I'm down to either USAA or Fidelity for my new main checking account, and it seems the only difference is the fast ACH times.

USAA auto and property insurance is not available due to membership eligibility requirements. New Hampshire and North Carolina residents who are not eligible for membership may be able to obtain USAA auto insurance by calling 1-800-531-USAA (8722) to determine eligibility as defined by these state's mandatory coverage laws.

Former members who established group membership with USAA by purchasing an auto or property insurance policy while in an eligible category may reactivate membership at any time despite current military status. Previous members must be in good standing and meet underwriting guidelines in order to re-establish membership.

The following products are available to former USAA members who previously purchased an auto or property insurance policy:
All Insurance Products
All Banking Products
All Investment Products
All Shopping & Services Discounts

robbierob03 said:   Since I'm not able to search the other two archived threads, I figured this would be a safe place to ask my questions (and yes I did read this entire thread) - is there a hard credit pull for opening the checking account? Does USAA offer next day ACH transfers for new customers, or is there some sort of waiting period? And is there a limit to the number of accounts you can link for ACH? I'm down to either USAA or Fidelity for my new main checking account, and it seems the only difference is the fast ACH times.

I'm not sure if USAA does a hard pull, but if you have $X>$2000 of securities in a margin account at Fidelity then you can ACH transfer up to $X of cash in and out the same day (so if you want to transfer between two external accounts, for example, you can initiate both transfers today so that they both clear the external accounts by tomorrow) which as fast an ACH you will ever find.

Only downside to Fidelity is that you can't schedule ACH transfers for future dates or on a recurring basis without mailing in a paper form (you have to manually initiate each transfer on the day of execution), but all-in-all I still prefer Fidelity to USAA because at Fidelity you don't have to worry about being interrogated or having your account closed due to your usage pattern not matching the right profile. Banks don't want unprofitable banking customers, but I think brokerages like Fidelity pass on the benefit of less onerous regulations to their customers in addition to having a willingness to accept losses on banking services as part of the cost of advertising their more profitable brokerage services.

robbierob03 said:   I'm down to either USAA or Fidelity for my new main checking account...
Sorry I can't answer your specific questions about ACH transfers, but I will say I prefer Fidelity over USAA.

I've been with USAA 45 years (!!) and opened a checking account when they started their bank (early 80s?). This was my primary account for many years but now I only use the account to pay my USAA insurance bills, for PayPal, to deposit small checks by scanning, etc.

I've been with Fidelity for 15+ years, it's my financial hub, primary checking account as well as my primary investment account. No forex fees on cash withdrawals outside the US, free int'l wire transfers, no limit on ATM fee refunds, larger ACH limits, 2% ca$hback credit card, etc.

Both places have great customer service in my experience.

USAA told me today (got a knowledgable rep) that your base rate before discounts will be lower if you have more assets with them. Not necessarily the multi-product discount, but the base rate due to the risk of an insured doing a negligent act will be lower if an insured has xxx assets. Not sure the cut offs or the validity, anyone care to add in on this? I believe it makes sense, but not sure how much it makes a difference. He said it's a large difference with 6 figure assets with USAA. Can't verify anything though....

Anyone else getting the "Get $10 back when you make 5 purchases" monthly deals? I got the offer on my USAA AMEX card in December, January, and now February. I got it in the mail but it also shows up under "Account Details" online.

USAA said: Get $10 back when you make 5 purchases during February.
Enjoy $10 on us when you use your USAA American Express Credit Card for anything you want.
To get $10 back, simply make 5 or more purchases of at least $25 each from February 1, 2013 to February 28, 2013.
  • Use your USAA American Express Credit Card to shop for gas, groceries, movie tickets, meals out or anything else—every purchase of $25 or more counts.
  • No registration is required—just use your card 5 times during January.
  • Your $10 reward will be automatically credited on your account statement.

Good find, thanks.

USAA has under My Account Tools, Credit Cards, an option called Credit Card Cash Advance. It used to be open to all members but now just those with Military Affiliation. Has anyone ever successfully used it to drain a Visa prepaid debit card? I once used it years ago to put money in my account using my Chase debit card (not a prepaid) and it went through with no fees from either side but never tried it on a prepaid card.

Cannot be done.
Zoot said:   USAA has under My Account Tools, Credit Cards, an option called Credit Card Cash Advance. It used to be open to all members but now just those with Military Affiliation. Has anyone ever successfully used it to drain a Visa prepaid debit card? I once used it years ago to put money in my account using my Chase debit card (not a prepaid) and it went through with no fees from either side but never tried it on a prepaid card.

MasterCard only, but can be debit or credit card.

I received a marketing mailing/application for the USAA Wounded Warrior Mastercard. It appears to be the same as the regular USAA rewards mastercard, but Wounded Warrior gets 0.3% of each purchase through June 2015.

Does anyone have this card? I'm not sure if establishing a USAA card would give me a discount on auto/home insurance, might be worth it for that, but it seems like one would be able to provide more assistance to Wounded Warrior by just using a better rewards card and making donations themselves.

I've just requested a new Chip & Pin MasterCard from USAA. In doing so, I mentioned that if they didn't charge a 1% foreign transaction fee, I might use their card more. (My primary card for outside the US is Cap One.)

In their response, they said that the 1% fee was MasterCard, not them:
Keep in mind, when you make a card transaction with a merchant in a foreign country, MasterCard charges a 1% transaction fee not USAA, whether the transaction is originally made in U.S. dollars or converted from a foreign currency. The 1% fee is included in your monthly statement once it has been submitted for processing. The 1% fee includes all amounts charged on foreign transactions.
Does anyone have experience with this? The MasterCard/Visa fee, in my experience, comes out to a lot less than 1%. On your USAA MC statement, is there a separate line item for the 1% fee? Is it a full 1%?

any referral or opening account bonus for opening a usaa account? I was considering opening an account

Does anyone know how to get PenFed to sync up with USAA BillPay? PenFed's system is so old, sucks.

UncaMikey said:   
Does anyone have experience with this? The MasterCard/Visa fee, in my experience, comes out to a lot less than 1%. On your USAA MC statement, is there a separate line item for the 1% fee? Is it a full 1%?

I will belatedly answer my own questions, FYI. I used the USAA MC chip/pin card once during a recent trip to Portugal. The card worked flawlessly as expected, but there was a 1% line item for a foreign transaction fee. I am still skeptical that the line item charge is from MC and not USAA, but I'll use the card as a backup when traveling for when a chip/pin card is absolutely required.

A few people I know have gotten emails from USAA in the last few days saying they now have access to remote deposit. They are not full members. Maybe they finally opened it up to everyone? .I've had it for years due to a closed loophole. I have a pending message in with USAA asking about it.

Can anyone confirm (who didn't previously have access) that they can now deposit/scan checks?

Nummerkins said:   A few people I know have gotten emails from USAA in the last few days saying they now have access to remote deposit. They are not full members. Maybe they finally opened it up to everyone? .I've had it for years due to a closed loophole. I have a pending message in with USAA asking about it.

Can anyone confirm (who didn't previously have access) that they can now deposit/scan checks?

I got the email. I then tried using the mobile deposit feature but it said I wasn't eligible. I was confused and went back to the email. It said:

USAA email said: Depositing checks just got a whole lot easier because you can now use one of our most convenient deposit services - Deposit@Mobile®!* ...... *To qualify for Deposit@Mobile, members must be eligible for USAA auto or property insurance, be 18 years old or older and exhibit financial responsibility with their USAA Bank accounts by avoiding situations like over drafting an account or having insufficient funds.

You'd think they would have targeted those emails only to people who actually qualify. Very confusing.

Just tried to use deposit at home and it told me I was not eligible because I couldn't get home or property insurance.

Update: USAA says the email was sent in error. I wonder if they sent it to the entire customer base.

CSREwallet said:   USAA auto and property insurance is not available due to membership eligibility requirements. New Hampshire and North Carolina residents who are not eligible for membership may be able to obtain USAA auto insurance by calling 1-800-531-USAA (8722) to determine eligibility as defined by these state's mandatory coverage laws.
Just saw this, has anyone in NC or NH who hasn't previously been eligible for P&C been able to sign up for USAA auto insurance? If so, what were the eligibility requirements? And were the rates sufficiently low to warrant switching?

Is there any way to deposit canadian cash to a usaa account? I want to deposit 1500 and avoid using those currency exchange places by the border.

You would get better exchange rates at the border.

esoterica said:   CSREwallet said:   USAA auto and property insurance is not available due to membership eligibility requirements. New Hampshire and North Carolina residents who are not eligible for membership may be able to obtain USAA auto insurance by calling 1-800-531-USAA (8722) to determine eligibility as defined by these state's mandatory coverage laws.
Just saw this, has anyone in NC or NH who hasn't previously been eligible for P&C been able to sign up for USAA auto insurance? If so, what were the eligibility requirements? And were the rates sufficiently low to warrant switching?

I'm sure you're allowed to get a quote without switching. Please report back. I would guess they use one of their subsidiaries for that, not the main USAA.

Nummerkins said:   A few people I know have gotten emails from USAA in the last few days saying they now have access to remote deposit. They are not full members. Maybe they finally opened it up to everyone? .I've had it for years due to a closed loophole. I have a pending message in with USAA asking about it.

I received the letter several weeks ago, and yes, I can confirm I now am able to use remote deposit. Was never able to access it before, used to get the message saying that I was ineligible.

Also what's up with the new "My Accounts" page? Is that a Yodlee creation?

bksavings said:   Nummerkins said:   A few people I know have gotten emails from USAA in the last few days saying they now have access to remote deposit. They are not full members. Maybe they finally opened it up to everyone? .I've had it for years due to a closed loophole. I have a pending message in with USAA asking about it.

I received the letter several weeks ago, and yes, I can confirm I now am able to use remote deposit. Was never able to access it before, used to get the message saying that I was ineligible.

Also what's up with the new "My Accounts" page? Is that a Yodlee creation?

Thanks bksavings! I never would have gone back to try again, except for your post. I just tried again (see above - I tried before and was not eligible), and I'm able to access Mobile Deposit now!

Woohoo!

Hopefully they will open up insurance to civilians in the future too (doubtful).

I was able to successfully use mobile deposit, and I'm not eligible for P&C... yet.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014