ShareBuilder $200 Bonus

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Email offering $200 bonus for $10,000 deposit (apparently cash only), code JUNE200.
*edit*
According to customer service reps there's a hard pull for margin accounts, otherwise a soft pull.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Why wouldn't it? The T&C only require a deposit and say nothing about how long it has to stay there. They even point o... (more)

dl73 (Aug. 06, 2012 @ 12:37p) |

What are they going to say? "Feel free to withdraw the money the next day"? My take is that since the T&C seem to be so ... (more)

billrubin (Aug. 06, 2012 @ 1:04p) |

Sweet ... OptionsXpress did not charge any outgoing ACAT fee as full amount showed up, and am on track to receive $100 @... (more)

invisible (Aug. 06, 2012 @ 9:26p) |

• Also categorized in:

Is this for new accounts only? Is there a minimal amount of time you need to leave the money in there?

How long you need to keep $10K in your account?

chaddi said:   How long you need to keep $10K in your account?

I signed up with this promotion a couple of weeks ago. The terms don't say anything about how long the $10k needs to stay in the account, and Sharebuilder confirmed via email pretty quickly that I had satisfied the promotion requirements. Once that confirmation came through I withdrew most of the funds without any consequences.

dbl118 said:   Is this for new accounts only? Is there a minimal amount of time you need to leave the money in there?

www.sharebuilder.com/em/june200

2 You must open a new ShareBuilder account and deposit $10,000 or more to be eligible for this promotion. Initial deposit must be completed by 6/30/12. ING DIRECT Investing will deposit a $200 bonus approximately 4-6 weeks after your first $10,000 deposit. The $200 bonus offer is available for Individual, Joint and Custodial accounts only. Offer not valid for IRAs or ESAs. The $200 bonus is not available for withdrawal for 120 days after it is awarded to your account. This offer is not valid with any other offers and is non-transferrable. Limit one ShareBuilder account bonus per unique customer or custodial beneficiary. We reserve the right to terminate this offer at any time and to refuse or recover any promotion award if we determine that it was obtained under wrongful or fraudulent circumstances, that inaccurate or incomplete information was provided in opening the account, or that any terms of our Account Agreement have been violated. Offer expires 6/30/12.

OK, I know I'm an idiot, but I used to be good at reading the T&C.

I'm still unclear if it's possible to get this bonus if you took advantage of a past one (like the December/January ones).

On one hand: "You must open a new ShareBuilder account" is different than "you must be a new customer".

On the other hand: "This offer is not valid with any other offers and is non-transferrable. Limit one ShareBuilder account bonus per unique customer or custodial beneficiary." could be literally interpreted to mean if you EVER received a bonus before, you're SOL... or just that you can't get this one more than once or with an ongoing current offer.

Am I the only one unclear if there is an exclusion now if opening an old account got a bonus in the past?

Any ides on how I can stack this offer with some sort of referral bonus or business partner offer(e.g. airlines etc?

Kempman said:   chaddi said:   How long you need to keep $10K in your account?

I signed up with this promotion a couple of weeks ago. The terms don't say anything about how long the $10k needs to stay in the account, and Sharebuilder confirmed via email pretty quickly that I had satisfied the promotion requirements. Once that confirmation came through I withdrew most of the funds without any consequences.

Exactly how many weeks did you keep your initial deposit (USD 10000 or more) in your account, before you pull it all out ?

thanks!

OK, I think I can report some info...

I logged onto my wife and my accounts. It appears that any previous promo credit on the account type (individual, joint, custodial, etc.) will invalidate this, because when you go to open an account (once already logged in), it won't accept the code.

However, since we had a joint account where I was primary (my SSN), could not add the account that way, BUT would accept under my wife trying to open a joint account with herself as the primary.

So, the bad news is that if you opened an account type in the past and got the bonus, you can't now. The good news is that you can test this out once logged in, and have a pretty good idea you will in fact qualify ahead of time if you try a selection and it allows you to apply the bonus code!

www.sharebuilder.com/em/june200

2 You must start a new ShareBuilder consideration and first deposit $10,000 or more to be qualified for this marketing. Preliminary first deposit must be accomplished by 6/30/12. ING DIRECT Committing will first deposit a $200 extra roughly 4-6 several weeks after your first $10,000 first deposit. The $200 extra provide is available for Personal, Combined and Legal records only. Offer not legitimate for IRAs or ESAs. The $200 extra is not available for drawback for 120 times after it is granted to your consideration. This provide is not legitimate with any other provides and is non-transferrable. Restrict one ShareBuilder consideration extra per exclusive client or custodial successor. We source the right to stop this provide any time and to reject or restore any marketing prize if we figure out that it was acquired under inappropriate or bogus conditions, that incorrect or imperfect details was offered in starting the consideration, or that any conditions of our Account Contract have been disregarded. Offer comes to an end 6/30/12.

I opened several accounts in the past, all with promo codes, but the results were spotty. A few qualified and the rest never happened even though all codes were initially accepted. All had small initial deposit requirements. This one is different because of its large initial deposit requirement. All data points are welcome!

Folks don't be fooled by the fact that your account took the code. When you contact them for the promo not having been credited yet (after months and months) they will tell you that the code was targeted and even though your account accepted it you were not meant to receive it. As a courtsey they will offer to ship you free of charge a bag of sand to pound on!

The offer does not appear to be on their general webpage and people are specifically getting the email (targeted) and the offer is being posted on several other deal sites....I don't see this one ending well.

Short version: You can't use this unless you received the targeted email. I chatted with an online ShareBuilder rep to ask specific info.

Also, ShareBuilder only does a soft pull as long as you aren't applying for margin borrowing.

Long Version - Chat Session - Names changed, obviously.

Hang on and we'll introduce you to a real live Customer Service Associate. While youíre waiting, here are some quick disclaimers: All chats are recorded, donít provide personal info and remember that we canít offer any advice.

ShareBuilder is here to help you out.

ShareBuilder: Hello! How can I help you?

Me: Hello, I was hoping you could tell me if the june200 promo code is available for everyone or if it is only a targeted offer. I don't want to sign up and then be told later that since I didn't receive the promo in an email that I am not allowed to get the $200

Me: The URL for it is here: http://www.sharebuilder.com/em/june200 and basically says that after a $10,000 deposit, you get $200

ShareBuilder: I'm taking a look at the promotion. It will take a few minutes.

Me: Ok, take your time. Thank you

ShareBuilder: That promotion is available to the people who received the offer via email.

ShareBuilder: How did you receive the promotion?

Me: I found the URL on a website that talks about trading stocks. I was hoping it was available to everyone.

ShareBuilder: I'm afraid not. You can find our current offers on the Home page of the ShareBuilder website under the Special Offers section.

Me: I appreciate your help. I'll hold off on opening the account for now.

ShareBuilder: If you have any questions, please donít hesitate to contact us again.

Me: Perfect. One more thing I'd like to know in case I am ever emailed an offer like this... does ShareBuilder do a soft or hard pull of the credit report?

ShareBuilder: We will only do a hard credit check if you apply for margin borrowing. There is a soft pull for opening the account.

Me: Great information. Thanks again for your help. Have a great day

One bonus per customer's lifetime. New accounts only, per individualized e-mail back from Customer Service.

snork615 said:   One bonus per customer's lifetime. New accounts only, per individualized e-mail back from Customer Service.

... action postpone until someone can find a way to go from main site to http://www.sharebuilder.com/em/june200 w/o external link
Surprised not being discussed over at the 'other' deal site ...

The other thing is IF this were open to all, but it was one per customer, i wonder if closing accounts for some period of time allows you to be a "new" customer in their system.

I have a couple accounts from the prior bonus open I don't need-- I'm going to try to close a couple of those and then see if the code works after a couple days (still may not get the bonus if targeted, but might be useful for future public offerings-- especially if they do annual promos like ING).

I got an email about this, but not sure how long I have to keep the 10K balance there

srtrooper said:   I got an email about this, but not sure how long I have to keep the 10K balance there

I did not get email but if I were you, I would leave it there until I got the bonus before asking them citing no restrictions in promo terms

The wife and I got an email code for May "200MAY". Signed us both up. $200 showed up within a week for both accounts.

signed up 6/14, and received $200 6/18

now the question is when I can transfer the $10k out?

srtrooper said:   signed up 6/14, and received $200 6/18

The terms at the bottom of the promo page only mention that the $200 must stay for the 120 day duration, so you should be good. You may want to chat with a representative and ask about what would happen if you withdrew a large portion for an unforeseen reason to see their scripted answer.

Thank you. I will contact them.

MrMBS said:   srtrooper said:   signed up 6/14, and received $200 6/18

The terms at the bottom of the promo page only mention that the $200 must stay for the 120 day duration, so you should be good. You may want to chat with a representative and ask about what would happen if you withdrew a large portion for an unforeseen reason to see their scripted answer.

Please no.
You just do whatever you want, but do not talk to them.

quickfingerz said:   The wife and I got an email code for May "200MAY". Signed us both up. $200 showed up within a week for both accounts.

Were you a new or existing customer when you signed up?

srtrooper said:   signed up 6/14, and received $200 6/18

did you get an email from them with the offer?

Thanks, OP! Received my bonus. I was an old customer who had closed my account. So my username / password still worked but got the bonus with a new account.

echip said:   quickfingerz said:   The wife and I got an email code for May "200MAY". Signed us both up. $200 showed up within a week for both accounts.

Were you a new or existing customer when you signed up?

We were both new Sharebuilder customers (Old ING Direct Customers, though)

invisible said:   snork615 said:   One bonus per customer's lifetime. New accounts only, per individualized e-mail back from Customer Service.

... action postpone until someone can find a way to go from main site to http://www.sharebuilder.com/em/june200 w/o external link

NO Email Needed. Mission Accomplished !

Found a way out that will likely work for many. Very verbose steps:

1. Go to OP's deal link. Then click on RHS on invest & get $200 bonus link. From there instead of applying, first initiate online chat with sharebuilder CSR. You need to do this for chat as normal site only has has phone/email options as far as I could see
2. tell you are exploring brokerages as you are interested in investing $10K or more and checking if any promotions are active that you can use, as many other brokerages have $200 to $300 deals going on (vary the theme) for large investments
3. they may say none or refer you to $100 or $50 promos
4. slip in the deal link from OP to ask if this is applicable that you found elsewhere
5. most likely they will say yes right away, or check internally and come back to say yes go ahead!
6. ask if you can have them create a reference number of this chat to reference in case of any issues.
7. Note this number, format is SB-XXXXXXXX where X's are an 8 digit #. Save PDF of the chat.
8. apply from the OP's link fearlessly !

The last step #6 is Crucial, #2 is essential in lieu of just cold asking if 200 promo link works as MrMBS did.

So in 4 2 brand new accts w/no prior history, opened both accts mid-late last week, already got $200/each )

After acct opening got quick confirmation of the promo being active on the account as well. In fact got twice, and then notification on deposit

Maybe they are desperate...
Maybe you do not even need the chat...
Maybe it will all work out as is...
But why take a chance....
This was easy 200/acct

Everyone doing same steps may make them suspicious once each chat person gets multiples of these so vary the theme! After all I did not have to say anything untrue, did invest $10k and may even keep the acct now that they were so straight forward and use them for the intended purpose to trade away ...

Green to ShareBuilder ! Thanks to OP !!

invisible said:   invisible said:   snork615 said:   One bonus per customer's lifetime. New accounts only, per individualized e-mail back from Customer Service.

NO Email Needed. Mission Accomplished !

Found a way out that will likely work for many. Very verbose steps:

1. Go to OP's deal link. Then click on RHS on invest & get $200 bonus link. From there instead of applying, first initiate online chat with sharebuilder CSR. You need to do this for chat as normal site only has has phone/email options as far as I could see
2. tell you are exploring brokerages as you are interested in investing $10K or more and checking if any promotions are active that you can use, as many other brokerages have $200 to $300 deals going on (vary the theme) for large investments
3. they may say none or refer you to $100 or $50 promos
4. slip in the deal link from OP to ask if this is applicable that you found elsewhere
5. most likely they will say yes right away, or check internally and come back to say yes go ahead!
6. ask if you can have them create a reference number of this chat to reference in case of any issues.
7. Note this number, format is SB-XXXXXXXX where X's are an 8 digit #. Save PDF of the chat.
8. apply from the OP's link fearlessly !

The last step #6 is Crucial, #2 is essential in lieu of just cold asking if 200 promo link works as MrMBS did.

So in 4 2 brand new accts w/no prior history, opened both accts mid-late last week, already got $200/each )

After acct opening got quick confirmation of the promo being active on the account as well. In fact got twice, and then notification on deposit

Maybe they are desperate...
Maybe you do not even need the chat...
Maybe it will all work out as is...
But why take a chance....
This was easy 200/acct

Everyone doing same steps may make them suspicious once each chat person gets multiples of these so vary the theme! After all I did not have to say anything untrue, did invest $10k and may even keep the acct now that they were so straight forward and use them for the intended purpose to trade away ...

Green to ShareBuilder ! Thanks to OP !!

Are they identifying/matching the bonus by email id?

You missed the point. I never received any email.

<sigh>

Thanks, invisible. I'm in the process of trying this, and I have my chat saved as a PDF as backup, along with the reference number just in case. We'll see what happens after my deposit goes through.

invisible said:   You missed the point. I never received any email.

<sigh>

I understood your point, but once you had the chat, did they make anything linked to your email with which you started the chat.

Did you use the same email to create your account that you provided at the time of chat.

MrMBS said:   Thanks, invisible. I'm in the process of trying this, and I have my chat saved as a PDF as backup, along with the reference number just in case. We'll see what happens after my deposit goes through.

MrMBS your chat gave me the idea, so thanks to you too !

In separate chat also confirmed w/ref# that ok to take out $10K but bonus $200 needs to be left in for 120 days, and that otherwise no fees or min balance apply-- calendared final w/d date already

BTW anyone else had their posts go into pending in this thread ? Mod says keyword was "reference" or "refer" -- of course that means this one will be reviewed

GreedyEbayerApprentice said:   invisible said:   You missed the point. I never received any email.

<sigh>

I understood your point, but once you had the chat, did they make anything linked to your email with which you started the chat.

Did you use the same email to create your account that you provided at the time of chat.

No email mentioned within chat but provided at start of chat.

Not sure they connected those two or not, hard to tell but better to be safe and use the same email to open acct.

In fact prior to chat tried emailing CSR previous day with same question/link to which they had responded negatively saying no offers (email reply came after said chat, lol!)

Not long after my chat session and signing up, I also received an email with the subject "Your Promotion Code has been Accepted", so that may be a good sign.

By the way, invisible, I also had the same problem with my post going into moderation. It must have been the word/words you mentioned because your response to me didn't show up until after I posted the message above, so I edited this post to avoid double posting.

Anyone apply for options and/or margin and get a hard pull? Customer service was not clear on this.

They told me that applying for a margin would be a hard pull. I didn't specifically ask about options. The regular account is a soft pull according to the reps and reports from other sites.

MrMBS said:   They told me that applying for a margin would be a hard pull. I didn't specifically ask about options. The regular account is a soft pull according to the reps and reports from other sites.

Yes, it seems that margin is a hard pull but not options.

Skipping 24 Messages...
invisible said:   Getting another $100 for full ACAT account transfer from my idle optionsxpress.com account from last year's deal, MINUS the $50 fee for outgoing ACAT transfer = $50

Just had to increase balance to 500+ before the transfer: http://content.sharebuilder.com/mgdcon/jump/consumer/transfer/in...

Note that bonus will be held for 180days. Not a problem ...so in 4 2 x $50

Many here may have idle accounts from optionshouse or optionsxpress from last year's wonderful deals, so put them to good use folks !

Sweet ... OptionsXpress did not charge any outgoing ACAT fee as full amount showed up, and am on track to receive $100 @ SB as transfer completed w/o issues

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014