Cash Available:
Payment Requested:
Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

Citi 40,000 bonus points ($400 GC) for opening Gold checking

4 of 7
Sashinator00
7/13/12 12:08 PM
I just got this offer in the mail and am strongly considering it. Does anyone know how long you need to keep this open and whether you can convert it to a free or lower fee account after you get the bonus? If its 6 months of $30 charges that would suck.

Also why is everyone afraid of this offer because of the possibility of a 1099? I will likely use my points for flights so at worst the 33% bonus for airfare would cancel out the 1099 tax effect and its a free $400, at best it's a free $532 for a flight.
tracyinca
7/13/12 3:21 PM
I just did this deal for the 40,000 points recently and only kept the account at the the citigold level for 3 months. Then I converted to the basic checking (only requires a $1500 balance to avoid a $10 monthly fee) until I received the points. It did take about 2 months once I completed the requirements for the points to post. I can also confirm that an ACH push from another bank will work for the direct deposit requirement. You can close the account once you receive the bonus, but be sure to redeem the points within 60 days or they will be forfeited.
teammjs
7/13/12 7:52 PM
has anyone gotten points on an offer like this *without* being targeted?
niniss
7/30/12 6:38 AM
What a nightmare. I guess I should have listened to "teammjs" advice. Had to apply twice due to some stupid errors and now i still don't know if it went through or not. The first time got error after i tried to use my citi cc ID and PW and the second time is after i tried to fund with my local bank acct. It says they will make 2 trial deposits, but then just gave me the stupid blank page again.
DonJuan
8/5/12 4:16 PM
I was NOT targeted. After seeing the vague 20K TYP with online app, I applied by phone 866-583-6712 with CYYK code (Rep confirmed 40K TYP), and somewhat smooth sailing so far:

Applied: 7/17 - bit the bullet and gave bank info for initial deposit.
Welcome package with acct #, postmarked: 7/18 - Rec a few days later.
Faxed in signature card: 7/24
Initial deposit transfer: 7/27
Rec box of checks: 8/4
ATM/Debit card: Not yet

Account is live, but need card to sign up online/use ATM.
mjoply
8/5/12 5:59 PM
DonJuan said:   

I was NOT targeted. After seeing the vague 20K TYP with online app, I applied by phone 866-583-6712 with CYYK code (Rep confirmed 40K TYP), and somewhat smooth sailing so far:

Applied: 7/17 - bit the bullet and gave bank info for initial deposit.
Welcome package with acct #, postmarked: 7/18 - Rec a few days later.
Faxed in signature card: 7/24
Initial deposit transfer: 7/27
Rec box of checks: 8/4
ATM/Debit card: Not yet

Account is live, but need card to sign up online/use ATM.

You may want to give them a ring. My mom signed up and it took three tries to finally receive the card. They claimed each time it was sent out but they never showed up.
FW949
8/6/12 11:07 AM
I didn't actually use the offer code (just found it today) but I did open the CitiGold account right before 7/31. Their website is so whack though that it's totally plausible that it didn't go through. I've emailed them anyway and told them that I used that and asking why I don't see the points credited. Do you think it's likely they will go along with this? I think they want my 50K.
FW949
8/7/12 10:14 PM
FW949 said:   

I didn't actually use the offer code (just found it today) but I did open the CitiGold account right before 7/31. Their website is so whack though that it's totally plausible that it didn't go through. I've emailed them anyway and told them that I used that and asking why I don't see the points credited. Do you think it's likely they will go along with this? I think they want my 50K.

Answering my own question. I talked to them via E-mail and they did some magic, and now the reps confirm that my account is coded for the 40K promo!!

Thanks FW!! you made an account I was already going to open a much better deal!
tanguy6969
8/8/12 5:45 PM
I did this deal back in March or April, and I already got the 40K bonus. On top of that I was never charged the $30 monthly fee even though I should have been, and a week after I got the points I switched to the basic checking with no problems......
good deal......
cKGunslinger
8/8/12 10:12 PM
So..

• Open Citi Gold Checking
  • Enroll account in TYP
  • Set-up direct deposit (enough to cover cell phone bill)
  • Set-up bill-pay to pay cell phone
  • Apply for Chase Slate
  • Re-allocate Chase balances to Slate
  • Xfer 80% of slate CL to existing Citi card
  • Ask for credit refund to Citi checking account
  • Write self check from Citi account
  • Wait ~3 months
  • Cancel Citi Checking
- - - - - -
  • + $400 Gift Cards
  • + 15-month/0% APR cash advance
  • - 1099 for rewards
  • - $30 for 1 month Checking Fee (maybe)

Sounds like a plan. Time to get out the old Excel & Google Calendar..
4 of 7
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.