• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
citi promo 40,000 thank you points is a SCAM, i had everything in 90 days. i had contacted them multiple times they make up all kinds of errors for you at first. after calling them several times, they said it was awarded already. nothing so i called again now they said they can't look in the file its too long. Then they make up another story they said the account enrollment is the first day, not your first day of statement, so i missed the deadline. pffffffffff f u. STAY AWAY!!!

I got mine without issue

not 100% of people will have problem, but many will if they can get anything on u they will. bunch of slime balls never again

Status reports?

Family opened up 4, only one was mid-July, others were later July.

No 40k points on any yet, despite 3 accounts getting 9000 points for 3 straight months (one missed the DD cut-off on the 1st month) consistant with the DD and bill pay requirements.

Also, none are getting hit with the fees so far, despite very minimal (slightly above $100) DDs and nominal bill pays.

I guess in theory they have 90 days from when the qualifications were met, which was mid-August on 3 of them.

Edited to add: 3 of the accounts were also directly solicited (including the 3 that have been credited for DD/bill pay since July), 1 account was not.

c3 said:   rickt86 said:   Reported to IRS as misc income form 1099-misc, if over $600 in the year total reward value.

Citi isseued a 1099 of almost $800 for my 40,000 points.

Humm. Wondering if there is a way to avoid getting a 1099 (AND still get over 70,000 points)?

They say these promo reward points are good for 3 years. Maybe cashout some this year, some next year, etc.? Or maybe they will not give a 1099 for some gift cards? (They certainly will give a 1099 if you receive over $700 in cash from them. But it's your choice how many points you use when.)

I heard they only report in the year of redemption, so I guess we should not cash in at one time.

Gauss44 said:   c3 said:   rickt86 said:   Reported to IRS as misc income form 1099-misc, if over $600 in the year total reward value.

Citi isseued a 1099 of almost $800 for my 40,000 points.

Humm. Wondering if there is a way to avoid getting a 1099 (AND still get over 70,000 points)?

They say these promo reward points are good for 3 years. Maybe cashout some this year, some next year, etc.? Or maybe they will not give a 1099 for some gift cards? (They certainly will give a 1099 if you receive over $700 in cash from them. But it's your choice how many points you use when.)

[deleted]

OK, so 2 of the family accounts posted the 40k on 10/17. The other two haven't yet. THe 2 that posted were opened up first, but not by much. One that posted, called a few weeks ago to inquire and got the brush-off, the other no contact, so at least there's a fair chance they will post automatically.

teammjs said:   OK, so 2 of the family accounts posted the 40k on 10/17. The other two haven't yet. THe 2 that posted were opened up first, but not by much. One that posted, called a few weeks ago to inquire and got the brush-off, the other no contact, so at least there's a fair chance they will post automatically.

May i ask when those two were opened? I opened on 7/30th and sent them a secured message last week and was told the points will be posted at end of Jan the earliest. I have a feel she didn't know what she's talking about though.

niniss said:   teammjs said:   OK, so 2 of the family accounts posted the 40k on 10/17. The other two haven't yet. THe 2 that posted were opened up first, but not by much. One that posted, called a few weeks ago to inquire and got the brush-off, the other no contact, so at least there's a fair chance they will post automatically.

May i ask when those two were opened? I opened on 7/30th and sent them a secured message last week and was told the points will be posted at end of Jan the earliest. I have a feel she didn't know what she's talking about though.

See my post above. 1 was the mid-July, the other was late July. However, the 3 in last July were opened near simultaneously (although maybe there is an issue when Citi set the accounts up or approved the application).

Let me know if/when you get your 40k, and I will as well on the other 2.

teammjs said:   niniss said:   teammjs said:   OK, so 2 of the family accounts posted the 40k on 10/17. The other two haven't yet. THe 2 that posted were opened up first, but not by much. One that posted, called a few weeks ago to inquire and got the brush-off, the other no contact, so at least there's a fair chance they will post automatically.

See my post above. 1 was the mid-July, the other was late July. However, the 3 in last July were opened near simultaneously (although maybe there is an issue when Citi set the accounts up or approved the application).

Let me know if/when you get your 40k, and I will as well on the other 2.

Thanks. Not sure why i missed your earlier post.

Totally Agree with you, I was so frustrated with them and I was about to write to Citi's CEO(vikram.pandit@citi.com who quit or forced to quit). They are so disorganized that one hand doesn't know what other hand is doing. I own citi stocks as well (another mistake). Still waiting for 20K points though.

teammjs said:   I f'ing hate Citi-- I don't know another bank that seems more screwed up in trying to open a checking account. They sucked in the past, and still suck.

OK, so my point, a few observations from family member 1 trying this that might help you folks-- keep in mind this member was targeted for the bonus.

1. Even after going to the offer.citibank.com and inputting the bonus (CYYL), the b*stards by some stupid default showed a regular checking account on the left for the lesser bonus. Knowing from previous aps Citibank will not allow an option to choose later, I realized this default was going to need to be dealt with in another way. So, I just went to the regular homepage, selected to open a Citigold checking account, which spit some other generic code by default. I altered the URL at the top to override the generic with CYYL, and hit refresh just to be safe. The CYYL code showed up, I continued, and the terms of the offer showed up to print later. Success.

2. The part where you can supposedly log-in to save time at the beginning of the ap process? Forget it if you just have a credit card and no banking/mortgage products. You just get spit out to a credit card sign-on page that doesn't retain your info, populate it, or allows you to apply for a banking product once logged in.

3. Even though you attempt to fund initially through another bank, I don't think that ever goes through! Instead, when you get account access (with a $0 balance), you can set up a transfer account and link from there to a place to fund.

4. Regarding #2, you probably want to do this than ACH push into Citi, because until you pass some long security phase with Citi, the trail deposits AND withdraw, may send your account negative since Citi won't recognize the availability of the deposit side, but will the withdraw. I will say at least Citi is fast with the set-up this way.

5. Don't forget you have to sign-up for Thank You Rewards as part of the offer. Technically, you may (by the wording) have to do this first before getting credit for the deposits/bill pay. Anyway, here's what you do: just go to the link once signed on to banking that says to register. Then wait several days. Don't try to go and look-up your TYP number at the TYP website. After some days, you'll then see a link to check points that will show you points and your TYP account number.

6. When you get your check and debit card, even if you don't plan to use, past memory was you better just make sure they're active or they could start getting pissy with your account/access.

7. I did send an SM once logged on to the account to verify the bonus, and got a fast response telling me my account is too new to confirm, but I should be able to add it later if necessary. He also gave me the routing number to try to get the DD requirement out of the way.

8. Finally, Citi would put most spy services to shame. If you're opening an account for a family member, better have them within proximity (or know every car they've driven in the last 10 years, age and location of their family, what state issued their SSN, etc.) because I had to enter different background challenge questions: 1) when applying, 2) when setting up my ACH pulls, and 3) when trying to pay a bill!

My guess is Citi is so disorganized it will probably be possible to get the bonus without the card, since it doesn't say the TYP has to be linked to your qualifying credit card, and in fact by default isn't. However, I know on the American Airline miles offers, they don't ever ask for your frequent flyer number, because it's in their system and gets linked later automatically through miracle of miracles.

Of course, maybe someone had better experiences.

Another month closed yet still no bonus points. Oh, the first monthly fee ($30) just kicked in.

When do they post the 40K TYP? At the same time as statement close or just randomly in between?

I got my points on 11/28 and my Statement closed on 11/30.

I did my second direct deposit on 9/14 and was told to expect the points by 12/29 in a response from their online messaging.

Sashinator00 said:   I got my points on 11/28 and my Statement closed on 11/30.

I did my second direct deposit on 9/14 and was told to expect the points by 12/29 in a response from their online messaging.

So are you getting the $30 monthly charge, or you maintain the required balance to avoid it?

niniss said:   

So are you getting the $30 monthly charge, or you maintain the required balance to avoid it?

You can think of it as $17 since you get 1300 ThankYou Points a month if you do a direct deposit and bill payment for the month, along with a savings account and automatic savings.

mjoply said:   niniss said:   

You can think of it as $17 since you get 1300 ThankYou Points a month if you do a direct deposit and bill payment for the month, along with a savings account and automatic savings.

oh, i didn't know that. Plus, i don't have savings account with them.

After you get the bonus can you convert the account to some other sort of account that doesn't have such a high balance requirement? To something that doesn't have a monthly fee, either..

niniss said:   Sashinator00 said:   I got my points on 11/28 and my Statement closed on 11/30.

I got my first $30 monthly charge a few days after the points. Already cashed them all out for $400 in gift cards and a $25 mortgage check. So really only out $5.

Silverthunder said:   After you get the bonus can you convert the account to some other sort of account that doesn't have such a high balance requirement? To something that doesn't have a monthly fee, either..

I was told by online chat that you can close the account without penalty after 60 days. So no need to convert, just close it when you get the points.

deal's back. offer code CMEG.

This 1099 business is a mess.

KYBOSH said:   This 1099 business is a mess.

Did anybody get one for 2012?

I might do this. I previously had accounts with promos in 2009 and 2011. I know the second time it was harder to get a bonus and I had to get them to credit the points via secure message. 40,000 is a nice offer plus a new year, could take the plunge assuming I can still get the points for a new offer.

c3 said:   KYBOSH said:   This 1099 business is a mess.

Anyone got hit with this?

Finally got 40K TYP on 1/1/13. After messaging them, them started an 'investigation' and was approved with points in next statement date.
I was hit with monthly fees twice, but they removed it after messaging them to waive.

DonJuan said:   c3 said:   KYBOSH said:   This 1099 business is a mess.

Anyone got hit with this?

Finally got 40K TYP on 1/1/13. After messaging them, them started an 'investigation' and was approved with points in next statement date.
I was hit with monthly fees twice, but they removed it after messaging them to waive.

Wow, i was hit with monthly fee 3 times before i got the points but I never thought of having them waive the fee as it was clearly stated in the term agreenment.

is this promotion still going on? closing a house using citimortgage, so i was hoping to open a citigold account and get the bonus while i do it!

columbiazulu said:   is this promotion still going on? closing a house using citimortgage, so i was hoping to open a citigold account and get the bonus while i do it!

It's over

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.