• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I remember someone mentioning retail banks that allow cashing them out?

Here's some links to check balances for those in my situation

AMEX:

https://www279.americanexpress.com/GPTHBIWeb/logout.do

Parago:

https://www.fsvsecurecard.com/fsv/websites/prepaidcard/silver/

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
yep, had a clueless teller today that wanted to call. It's about 500$ worth of cards so I don't wanna pay fees/ waste ... (more)

vickh (Jul. 31, 2012 @ 6:39p) |

Just use Amazon Payments.

billrubin (Jul. 31, 2012 @ 6:54p) |

It's a simple override. After the override, the computer prompts for a number (I think that it's an authorization number... (more)

rawman1 (Jul. 31, 2012 @ 10:54p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Bigger banks will let you "cash advance" a Visa or Mastercard. Smaller institutions like credit unions may only do one of Visa or Mastercard. The problem is, more and more of the rebate debit cards are starting to block or decline such transactions.

mapen said:   Bigger banks will let you "cash advance" a Visa or Mastercard. Smaller institutions like credit unions may only do one of Visa or Mastercard. The problem is, more and more of the rebate debit cards are starting to block or decline such transactions.

Thanks. I'll try chase or BOA next week..

Have a bunch of parago visa debit cards.... do they decline?

I also have a bunch of AMEX ones. Guess I'll pay the 2.75% @ square or Amazon GC unless someone has a better idea?

Amazon payments or Serve by AMEX.

I tried McAfee and Trend Micro rebate cards at PNC and it kept saying to ring a number to proceed. They said Verizon rebate cards go through but these must be different.

I just loaded them onto Serve and surprisingly there was no one dollar hold like usual. That is a free, easy way to get it done.

mjoply said:   
I just loaded them onto Serve and surprisingly there was no one dollar hold like usual. That is a free, easy way to get it done.

have card readers like square?

vickh said:   mjoply said:   

i'll try serve. But that just converts to AMEX GC right?

Any other free ways??

Seriously?

If these are from parago/rebateshq you can call to cancel them and get a check instead. McAfee seems to be the only exception. You can load the full balance from the card to your Serve account and transfer money from Serve to your bank account via ACH. There doesn't seem to be any $1 test authorizations for Visa prepaid cards. You can load $100/day and 250/month.

vickh said:   mjoply said:   

i'll try serve. But that just converts to AMEX GC right?

Any other free ways??

No, you load your Serve account with the GCs you have and them you can transfer to a linked bank account with no fee. I believe there is a $250/no limit on loading $ from cards. Amazon Payments is $1000/mo.

NM

Currently I can...

Send & Receive up to$2500 / Mo

Receive up to $1000 per day, up to $2500 / Mo
Send up to $1000 per day, up to $2500 Max
Make purchases with your Serve card
Withdraw funds via transfer to your bank account, participating ATMs or request a check

Read this thread, there's a risk that Serve will close your account or reverse ACH cash-outs:

Easily combine VISA/MC/Amex/Disc Gift Cards to one Serve account

mapen said:   Read this thread, there's a risk that Serve will close your account or reverse ACH cash-outs:

thx for the heads up!

Have about 20 cards to cash out so i'll try spacing them out? any other guidelines ?

vickh said:   
Thanks. I'll try chase or BOA next week

Chase

Alcibiades said:   vickh said:   
Thanks. I'll try chase or BOA next week

Chase

Thx!

have business and personal accounts with them and the managers always calling to see if he can help me

No fees right?

Will risk serve for my 8 AMEX GCs, although it seems to be placing a $1 hold when adding the card to account

Is there a better way to enter it?

Us that to pay for cellphone bill maybe easier.

sensia said:   Us that to pay for cellphone bill maybe easier.

and give up my CC points, never!

A lot of utility bills will allow one-time payments by credit card - that's what I use. Some car insurance companies allow the same. Check your bills and see what lets you make an any-time payment.

Not so much a cash-out, but you can always purchase Amazon gift certificates -- those are nearly as good as cash for me.

And +1 to those that recommended using it to make a one-off payment to utilities/cellphone companies, etc. I've done this a number of times paying part of my Verizon Fios bill by small gift card to use it up.

vickh said:   Will risk serve for my 8 AMEX GCs, although it seems to be placing a $1 hold when adding the card to account

They do that only for AMEX GC's.

If they are relatively small gift cards, I either buy an Amazon gift card or use it to reload my Starbucks card balance. Amazon places a $1 hold & Starbucks does not.

I use mine at the gas station. You can't pay at the pump. I go to the cashier and tell them the exact amount I want charged on the card, as credit not debit.

thx for all the usage tips guys but I'm specifically looking for cash out, not just spending it...

sorry for the stupid question, but how do u cash the cards out at a bank? do u use an atm?

vickh said:   Will risk serve for my 8 AMEX GCs, although it seems to be placing a $1 hold when adding the card to account

I thought it was reported here that AMEX does NOT do the $1 hold?

For Amazon, it has been reported in earlier threads (of which there are many) that if you enter the wrong expiration date when defining the card that they will NOT be able to do the $1 hold. Then you correct the expiration date when using the card and can use the full amount.

It would be so nice to have one master thread so this doesn't have to be rehashed every month.

I believe there is a thread or two about how people have cashed out rebate cards. Ill look around for it.

i load my Amazon account with a gift card for the strange amount ($18.58 or whatever is remaining), then just use the balance next time i'm buying something. Or I'll go into a gas station and prepay for gas to get rid of them.

Anybody tried cashing out symantec (norton) rebate cards and worked ?
I tried to do this last time around and it says the bank to call the number at back of card for authorization when doing cash advance
I didnt go ahead and said i need to rush, will come back later. What happens if they call ?
Please provide your inputs.

"Put the cards down on your bills

2tiger said:   "Put the cards down on your billsWhat does that mean?

vickh said:   mapen said:   Read this thread, there's a risk that Serve will close your account or reverse ACH cash-outs:

thx for the heads up!

Have about 20 cards to cash out so i'll try spacing them out? any other guidelines ?

I vote for letting the balance sit in the serve account for a week or so. I probably haven't cashed out as much gift cards as some others (close to 500.00) in the last several months but I've transferred all of it to my bank account and not gotten shut down. Adding and removing too many credit/debit cards in a short period of time might also get the account looked at. I'd also try withdrawing less than your balance depending on the size. Just my 2 cents.

infogirlgeek said:   I vote for letting the balance sit in the serve account for a week or so. I probably haven't cashed out as much gift cards as some others (close to 500.00) in the last several months but I've transferred all of it to my bank account and not gotten shut down. Adding and removing too many credit/debit cards in a short period of time might also get the account looked at. I'd also try withdrawing less than your balance depending on the size. Just my 2 cents.The only concern I'd have is their deciding that they didn't like what you were doing and freezing the funds. I think most people would prefer to get it out of the intermediate site as quickly as possible.

American-Express will mail you a check for prepaid balances upon request. Plan on plenty of time on the phone with the CSR though.

I usually redeem the rebate/gift cards at supermarkets. Supermarket debit transactions pay almost nothing in interchange fees to the issuers (according to the Visa fee schedule), so if everyone did this, those cards would probably go away. This assumes that a primary motivation for the card is to collect interchange fees and monthly fees if you don't use them quickly.

Another bonus is that you can request a store card in any amount and store cards don't expire, so it's a great to clean out the cards. Yes, I lose a little bit of potential Cash-Back at the supermarket, but it makes my life easier and I don't have to worry about losing card value.

gizmosun said:   If these are from parago/rebateshq you can call to cancel them and get a check instead.Have you done that recently? I used to do it all the time but when I last tried it, probably a year ago, they told me they could no longer issue checks.

NEDeals said:   American-Express will mail you a check for prepaid balances upon request. Plan on plenty of time on the phone with the CSR though.

I usually redeem the rebate/gift cards at supermarkets. Supermarket debit transactions pay almost nothing in interchange fees to the issuers (according to the Visa fee schedule), so if everyone did this, those cards would probably go away. This assumes that a primary motivation for the card is to collect interchange fees and monthly fees if you don't use them quickly. .

Which AMEX cards? The rebate ones?

Also I think that the reason for sending out debit cards is to cash in on the unspent funds when they expire in 6 months.

billrubin said:   NEDeals said:   American-Express will mail you a check for prepaid balances upon request. Plan on plenty of time on the phone with the CSR though.
Which AMEX cards? The rebate ones?

Yes, I was referring to the topic. Just received a check for a rebate prepaid debit card last week. It took about 12 days to arrive after requesting.

Also I think that the reason for sending out debit cards is to cash in on the unspent funds when they expire in 6 months.

Checks usually expire in six months too (sometimes 90 days), so I don't see the advantage there.

Since it has been mentioned that you can cash them out at a Chase teller, I decided to ask when I was at the branch today (I forgot to bring cards with me). The teller told me that so long as the card has my name on it, they will do a cash advance against it. I'll see if I can try some tomorrow.

i've tried at Chase and sometimes the cash advance won't go through because the card doesn't allow it.

Skipping 13 Messages...
It's a simple override. After the override, the computer prompts for a number (I think that it's an authorization number). It's either the 3-digit security code or tracking number. When the person enters the correct number, the transaction goes through.

vickh said:   rawman1 said:   You can usually get a cash advance at most banks on AVG cards without any problems.
Chase can do a cash advance on most rebate cards, but it requires a manual override from the bank teller when the computer prompts the teller to call. Good luck in getting a teller to do this at a branch that is following protocol.

yep, had a clueless teller today that wanted to call. It's about 500$ worth of cards so I don't wanna pay fees/ waste pt.s

Is it simply a override? I'll go in to another chase branch where I know the manager who's always calling me to see if he can help!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014