• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
OP edited.
The original post was before 7/20/12 (date the card became available).
The intent of this thread it to allow folks to discuss the new card from Discover. However, it's fairly similar to the Discover More card.
It has been reported that if you would like to switch to the Discover it card, you can do so without a hard pull.

application link

It does have 0% interest for 15 months with a 3% BT fee. No signup bonus.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Looks like it

jatan1986 (Jul. 20, 2012 @ 12:45p) |

Yes, same quaterly 5% rewards calendar as other Discover cards.

imbatman (Jul. 20, 2012 @ 12:56p) |

The card features may not be new -- however, Disoover is sending out targeted mailings with a 0% fee and 0% APR for 12 m... (more)

UncAl (Aug. 11, 2012 @ 1:39a) |

The benefits of the Discover IT card are similar to Discover More card link. The 5% rewards categories are identical as well.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Is that the card with the creepy clown reaching out of the sewer? I heard the sign up bonus is free candy, but the penalties are pretty brutal.

Lol. If it was the it clown, I'd get it just to annoy the wife.

discover homepagehas an image of the card (you might need to just type in discover.com as that link sends me to an applicaton page)

If anyone's interested and wants to call for more info, they're inviting folks to do so via twitter

Looks to me they have spent sign-up bonus money on TV advertisement. Lame.

anyone call?

debtinator said:   anyone call?
Yea, I did. It's a waste of time. Spoke to 4 people. None of them had any information other than that the card and more info will be available on the 20th.
One person said I could get on an email list to get information as soon as it was available. When I was transferred to the department responsible for doing that, they said there's no such way to do it.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-IT/td-p/14...

Found this thread with what may be a legit image describing it... nothing in the way of details re: sign up bonuses or Cash Back offers, though. Perhaps a card eliminating the $3k spending req to get to 1% CB?

I wish they would have put chip and pin on this card since they have now eliminated International Transaction Fees and with
the JCB/DCI/CUP links, the card is accepted in a lot more places internationally.

Or..give it as an option on their regular cards. Oh well.

Rasheed

Child-like CL's... leper-like merchant acceptance... pass.

Sounds a little like Citi Simplicity: http://creditcardforum.com/blog/discover-it-card-review/

centrifuge41 said:   Sounds a little like Citi Simplicity: http://creditcardforum.com/blog/discover-it-card-review/
It does if you have a reason to believe this guys' description.
I think he's guessing.
If hes right, I will prolly stay away from the card.

I never thought I'd see the day when a new credit card launch was a campout worthy launch date akin to star wars (and now batman) tickets, apple launches, game system launches, and certain concert tix... maybe I'm just really old... or really young?

I am waiting to see if they offer any amount in sign up bonus

It's a trap!

skarydrunkguy said:   I never thought I'd see the day when a new credit card launch was a campout worthy launch date akin to star wars (and now batman) tickets, apple launches, game system launches, and certain concert tix... maybe I'm just really old... or really young?

If Chase AARP had been pre announced it would have developed its cult of followers much earlier.

application page is online

I'm not glad I waited. Can someone explain to me how this is different than the Discover More card? It has the same 5% rotating categories with the same quarterly limits. still gives 0.25% on the first $3,000 in purchases every year.

The difference is probably in the fees (late payment). . . oh, and it looks like you'll get expedited UPS delivery!

They're still doing the .25% CashBack for first $3K in purchases? Absurd. Absolutely absurd.

So much for doing a product change...

EDIT: Looking at this link, it looks like they've merely rebranded the Discover more card (with the exception of the Student More card - if you go to the "other cards" tab, the More isn't there anymore.

So they've basically picked a design with no embossing on it and put the numbers on the back, called it "Discover it", and that's pretty much it.

Meh. It does look nice on the site, but who knows how the design looks in person.

No foreign transaction fees, which is nice. I think that is different from the Discover More (which was 2% if I remember correctly). With an increasing acceptance rate in Asia, might be a good option for a little bit of extra Cash Back for frequent overseas travelers (to countries where Discover has been picked up in the last few years).

hempcamp said:   No foreign transaction fees, which is nice. I think that is different from the Discover More (which was 2% if I remember correctly). With an increasing acceptance rate in Asia, might be a good option for a little bit of extra Cash Back for frequent overseas travelers (to countries where Discover has been picked up in the last few years).

Discover actually cut it out on the More at the end of last year. November or December. I remember getting a message about it when I logged in.

EDIT: Effective 11/06/2011

funny,
I had a e-chat with customer service. He said he couldn't discuss the details with me.
He got confused when I gave him the link to the application page. Even with that, he still wasn't permitted to talk about the details of the card.

poor show Discover...
poor show.

I have never heard of this "City" Simplicity that they speak of, is it anything like the Citi card? They should have compared with the Citi Dividend instead. They are also incorrect about Chase having an over the limit fee and not earning cash on every purchase; yes they are points but they are cash since it is a 1:1 ratio when redeemed for it. Funny they don't have a category that says: "Earn an amazing .25% CashBack on the first $3000 you spend." That would have given them something else no other issuer has.

The zero percent rate for fifteen months is very nice though so that is worth a lot of points for them.

citi simplicity card is similar - 0% for 18 months, you probably haven't heard about it's not a great rewards card:
Earn 5 ThankYou PointsŪ per dollar for purchases at gas stations and drugstores for 12 months, and one ThankYou Point after that
Earn 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend everywhere else

A Discover chat CSR stated, "once the Discover IT card comes out which is tomorrow you are more than welcome to convert your current card to that." I won't have to waste a hard pull.

imbatman said:   citi simplicity card is similar - 0% for 18 months, you probably haven't heard about it's not a great rewards card:
Earn 5 ThankYou PointsŪ per dollar for purchases at gas stations and drugstores for 12 months, and one ThankYou Point after that
Earn 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend everywhere else

I was really just pointing out the fact that they spelled Citi as "City". I did not know it had rewards though, last time I looked at it it was just a low interest card.

The CS gave me a weird response when I asked about features. "BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!" Anybody figure out a way to abuse the Float?

mattun said:   The CS gave me a weird response when I asked about features. "BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!" Anybody figure out a way to abuse the Float?

what?

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/index-beyond.html?ICMPGN=M...

REWARDS: We will send full terms and conditions with your card. Earn .25% CashBack Bonus on your first $3000 in annual purchases and on all warehouse purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, discount stores and their affiliates. Earn 1% on purchases over $3000. Each quarterly 5% program has a cap on category purchases. The amount of the cap may change. 5% category purchases over the quarterly cap earn up to 1% CashBack Bonus. Warehouse and 5% category purchases do not count towards your first $3000. Click here to see the current 5% program details.

Same to assume the 5% categories are the same as the regular Discover card?

mattun said:   Same to assume the 5% categories are the same as the regular Discover card?Looks like it

jatan1986 said:   mattun said:   Same to assume the 5% categories are the same as the regular Discover card?Looks like it
Yes, same quaterly 5% rewards calendar as other Discover cards.

The card features may not be new -- however, Disoover is sending out targeted mailings with a 0% fee and 0% APR for 12 months on BTs for new customers; I'd started to think the 0/0 BT offer was extinct. No signup bonus, though.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014