• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I received a postcard in the mail today from Western FCU which states that they'll give you $100 when you open a checking account.

The URL is http://www.western.org/joinwesternfcu

The T&C says:

"Promotion valid until October 15, 2012 and subject to change without notice. Checking account offer: Available to non members who open a Western Checking account at same time as establishing membership. $100 bonus will be deposited one business day after account opening. One checking bonus per member. Fees could reduce yield on accounts. Normal membership and checking criteria applies. Member will be responsible for all applicable taxes. Western employees, volunteers, and family members are not eligible. Western reserves the right to change the program rules at any time. Not valid with any other offer."

When I go to that link, it redirects to:

https://www.western.org/applications/membership_promo.aspx

It also states that Western FCU will also cover the initial membership fee to the Surfrider Foundation.

--

Anybody here know if Western FCU does a hard pull when opening a checking account?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
ACH deposit posted to checking yesterday. $100 bonus to savings posted today.

BingBlangBlaow (Nov. 22, 2012 @ 9:06p) |

Which bank did you use? Thanks.

infogirlgeek (Dec. 04, 2012 @ 1:55a) |

GLCU.

BingBlangBlaow (Dec. 04, 2012 @ 6:11a) |

FREE Checking
For members who want a hassle-free checking account.

No balance requirement
No monthly fees
No Direct Deposit requirement
No per-check fees
Easy to open with only a $25 deposit

eChecking
Perfect for members who use other eServices and want FREE ATM4 access anywhere, anytime. Requires logging into Online Banking once a month, eight posted Debit Card transactions a month6 and eStatements.

FREE ATM4 access anywhere
No Direct Deposit requirement
No balance requirement
Easy to open with only a $25 deposit
Earns variable monthly dividends3
Provides a .25% rate discount on new Western Consumer Loans1
FREE Corporate Image Checks
No per-check fees
$0 monthly service fee if all requirements are met5
FREE American Express Traveler's Cheques, Cashier Checks, Official Checks and Gift Checks

Our eChecking product requires the following: Logging into Online Banking a minimum of once a month, eight posted Debit Card transactions each month, and having eStatements.

Premier Checking
For members who want a checking account with perks.

Earns variable monthly dividends when monthly average daily balance is $2,0002
Provides a .25% rate discount on new Western Consumer Loans1
FREE Corporate Image Checks
FREE Overdraft Protection
No per-check fees

Right Start Checking
For members who would like a second chance to have a checking account, but this account is also a good option for first-time checking account holders to help them get the right start.

No balance required
Low monthly fee
No Direct Deposit required
No per-check fees
Can open with only a $25 deposit
Complimentary online educational course required to help member start off right
  • Also categorized in:

do they allow online check deposit?

Do they offer a free checking account? What are other terms & conditions (possible pitfalls, requirements, fees, etc.)?

After filling out the 5 page crappy application, the site sent me to an error page. What a waste of time.

" I hereby make application for membership in Western Federal Credit Union and agree to conform to the bylaws and amendments thereof. I authorize Western Federal Credit Union to check my credit history, as well as obtain and provide additional credit information to and from others. I understand that membership is contingent on satisfactory account verification. ..."

Definitely a pull, don't know hard or soft yet.

Sounded like an ok deal but failed for me, maybe someone else will have a different experience.

Crappy application! The system would not take my birthdate?? or my drivers license expiration. Enter valid date? BS!

Error Page

We apologize at this time we are having difficulties loading this page. Please select the link provided to return to the home page

Please report back which credit bureau they pull and whether it was hard or soft. Thanks!

MADWAD said:   Please report back which credit bureau they pull and whether it was hard or soft. Thanks!

We would if their application even worked...

mindbowels said:   MADWAD said:   Please report back which credit bureau they pull and whether it was hard or soft. Thanks!

We would if their application even worked...

Please report back on free checking account, fees, etc. ...

I just tried the link and it worked and took me to the application page.

The URL it redirects to is https://www.western.org/applications/membership_promo.aspx

Also, if you're getting an error message on their web page, try clearing your browser. I did, and it worked.

I called their call center at 877-254-9328 and spoke to a representative about this offer.

Basically it was sent to households in Fairfax County, VA (Northern VA suburb) in order to get more new customers but she didn't elaborate if this was just limited to a specific geographical area.

$25 minimum deposit required to open an account. No fees or minimum balances required for the free checking.

No hard or soft pull, Chex system.

Hope this helps.

From your description, sounds like this could be limited to specific geographical areas, not nation-wide.

dOES ANYONE HAVE A COPY OF THE sURFRIDER mEMBERSHIP cARD, SINCE IT ASKS THAT WE SEND IN A COPY
The invitation process is quick and easy.

You will need your Social Security Number and driver license or government issued photo identification information.
Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).
After submitting the application, use the "Print This Page" button to print a copy to be submitted with the required documents.
Use the "Print This Page" button again to print a copy for your records.
Use the "I Have Finished" button to close the invitation window.

Return the following by mail or to your local branch: this application completed and signed if your membership is eligible through Surfrider, then a copy of your membership card a legible copy of your driver license or government issued photo identification a check, cashier's check or money order to fund your new account

Mailing Address:
Western Federal Credit Union
Attn: Account Services
PO Box 10018
Manhattan Beach, CA 90267-9969

Any CA residents applied for this?

I'm in CA and want to join, but I don't want to pay with a hard inquiry on EX so I'm waiting for a couple more reports of no hard pull before I bite the bullet.

foeplay said:   I'm in CA and want to join, but I don't want to pay with a hard inquiry on EX so I'm waiting for a couple more reports of no hard pull before I bite the bullet.

No hard pull. Welcome packet arrived today. Checked account online and $100 bonus is already there.
Thank you OP.

I signed up. Did you have to send in your copy of your membership card to the Surfrider foundation? I didn't get any during the application process.

I'll also report back about a hard or not. I live in PA.

I live in NJ and I signed up; they just needed a copy of my licensee (and of course a check to open the account).

DWooley said:   foeplay said:   I'm in CA and want to join, but I don't want to pay with a hard inquiry on EX so I'm waiting for a couple more reports of no hard pull before I bite the bullet.

No hard pull. Welcome packet arrived today. Checked account online and $100 bonus is already there.
Thank you OP.

Are you in CA? Are you in their target area (Fairfax County, VA (Northern VA suburb))? Or you just applied (a generic application)?

They seem to have raised min. deposit amount to $35:
I am mailing a check, cashier's check or money order in the amount of: $ (minimum amount of $35 or $2,010 if choosing Premier Checking)...Source of funds is required. Please a dollar amount to mail. Minimum deposit is $35.

Yes it is but not because of the premier checking. They have added $5 to a savings account as well

Did anyone figure out their checking account number?

Is it the Member number?

Thanks. Opened and got my $100 without a hard pull!

MADWAD said:   Did anyone figure out their checking account number?

302000(member number)

onedollarinmywallet said:   It also states that Western FCU will also cover the initial membership fee to the Surfrider Foundation.Just to emphasize, this makes you a member not only of the credit union but also of the Surfrider Foundation and the credit union gives the Surfrider Foundation some of your personal information:we will initiate your Surfrider Foundation membership and cover your initial membership fee. Please note that to do this, we will need to supply the Surfrider Foundation with certain information about you (name, address, phone number, etc.)Membership in the Surfrider Foundation costs $25 a year, according to their site.

DWooley said:   MADWAD said:   Did anyone figure out their checking account number?

xxxxxx(member number)
This can't be real...

I'm sure a senior member of Fatwallet wouldn't be so foolish as to tell us all his account number. I assume that he means the account number is made up of those numbers prepended to the membership number.

Good call.

granjero said:   I'm sure a senior member of Fatwallet wouldn't be so foolish as to tell us all his account number. I assume that he means the account number is made up of those numbers prepended to the membership number.
Thanks for benefit of doubt. I promise to spoonfeed next time.

How soon can you close the account without the money being taken out?

Is there any min days req to keep the a/c open? I would like to take up this bonus offer and close the a/c ASAP without incurring any early a/c closing fee.

Anyone else get charged a 1.00 "paper statement fee" despite opening freechecking/esavings and being signed up for e-statements? This should be interesting..enough reason there to close the account as soon as possible.

Yes, I got that fee too, which doesn't make sense since it's applied well before you can ever gain access to online banking, which is where you enable e-statements (it should default to that anyway--it didn't for me--since it's a requirement of the eSavings account in the first place). You can do a chat with them to get the charge reversed.

They refunded it quickly enough but its irritating b/c its so petty they expect many won't notice/bother.

Anyone able to connect with Mint. Mint is telling me "Your bank uses an authentication method that prevents Mint from adding your account."

BingBlangBlaow said:   Anyone able to connect with Mint. Mint is telling me "Your bank uses an authentication method that prevents Mint from adding your account."

Western just updated its systems or something and I believe you have to call them and sign up again for your online banking password.

I can access my account (I actually just signed up for it tonight). It just won't connect to Mint.com. I'm getting that error. You think I have to call Western and they can fix it?

Hmm. I haven't bothered setting up my new login info. So I assumed mine wasn't connecting for that reason. Western might be blocking mint, and it might have something to do with the upgrade. I'd call them and see if they can tell you anything further.

BingBlangBlaow said:   I can access my account (I actually just signed up for it tonight). It just won't connect to Mint.com. I'm getting that error. You think I have to call Western and they can fix it?

I do not want to make you seem inept, but did you attempt to delete and add the account again? Sometimes I find that that helps to get it to go through.

Received a snail mail Offer from WFCU to get 100 USD for setting up a DD for exiting account holder.
Main T & C as follows.

1. Should have joined WFCU since jul-2012
2. The dd should be for min 400
3. DD should be deposited by 28-Feb-2013
4. Bonus will be posted to primary savings within 5 business days of DD

Skipping 7 Messages...
GLCU.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014