• Go to page :
  • 1 2 34
  • Text Only
I've added both a AMEX Platinum personal card and AMEX Gold Business in the past 12 months. I applied for both the personal and business SPG cards under this promo. The personal card application was listed as "in processing" for 2-3 days after applying, but was then approved with no effort on my part. At the end of the business card application process, it asked me to call in to confirm some information. I called in and was approved during the call.

GTFan said:   Getting an error on the personal app now but I swear it was working earlier today. Looks like an AMEX server issue though.
works ok for me. try inprivate browsing.

Just an FYI for those who already have either biz or personal and are applying for the other.

Last year when this promo was running I signed up for the biz card, I have had a personal card for years. AMEX fought me on releasing the 10k welcome bonus saying that I had previously been given the bonus on my personal card a number of years earlier. They did give me the spend bonus without an issue.

After going back and forth through e-mail I finally had to threaten to cancel my cards($50k+ annual spend) to get the 10k bonus points. Last years promo made no mention of previously receiving the bonus making you ineligible, this years does. Just a word of warning.

aldihelper said:   Just an FYI for those who already have either biz or personal and are applying for the other.

Last year when this promo was running I signed up for the biz card, I have had a personal card for years. AMEX fought me on releasing the 10k welcome bonus saying that I had previously been given the bonus on my personal card a number of years earlier. They did give me the spend bonus without an issue.

After going back and forth through e-mail I finally had to threaten to cancel my cards($50k+ annual spend) to get the 10k bonus points. Last years promo made no mention of previously receiving the bonus making you ineligible, this years does. Just a word of warning.

Last years promo was Actually For "First time American Express Starwood Preferred Guest cardmembers can earn up to 30,000 bonus points. "

Is it one pull if you apply to both on the same day?

AMEX had a limit of 4 cards if I'm not mistaken? 2 personal, one business, one corporate. Is it still the case?

Yoksel said:   

AMEX had a limit of 4 cards if I'm not mistaken? 2 personal, one business, one corporate. Is it still the case?

No, I Have 4 personal. My wife had 4 personal and 1 biz til last week.
WHat's the diff between biz and corporate?

imbatman said:   Yoksel said:   
AMEX had a limit of 4 cards if I'm not mistaken? 2 personal, one business, one corporate. Is it still the case?

No, I Have 4 personal. My wife had 4 personal and 1 biz til last week.
WHat's the diff between biz and corporate?

There're cards that say Business on them and others say Corporate. In the previous UI they showed them separately. I believe Corporate cards are those opened via big corporations that may have their own agreements with AMEX.

Yoksel said:   imbatman said:   Yoksel said:   
AMEX had a limit of 4 cards if I'm not mistaken? 2 personal, one business, one corporate. Is it still the case?

No, I Have 4 personal. My wife had 4 personal and 1 biz til last week.
WHat's the diff between biz and corporate?

There're cards that say Business on them and others say Corporate. In the previous UI they showed them separately. I believe Corporate cards are those opened via big corporations that may have their own agreements with AMEX.
Yes, corporate cards are used by companies. Also, I believe AMEX has some limit on how many charge & credit cards you can own (doesn't matter if it is personal or business). I have 2 personal, 3 business (2 credit cards + 1 charge card) and 1 corporate.

I have 2 personal, 4 business (3 charge). I applied for another personal with promo and I got didn't get instant approval. But I never get instant approval for anything anymore.

Thx for the tip about Cache-clearing / private browsing. First attempted to apply using my existing AMEX login and was told offer no longer avail. Than did a vanilla long-form app and got approved instant for the 30k. Thx all for the hive intelligence.

Yoksel said:   Is it one pull if you apply to both on the same day?

AMEX had a limit of 4 cards if I'm not mistaken? 2 personal, one business, one corporate. Is it still the case?


this is not strict. YMMV

last year, I was told I am only allowed 4 AMEX cards( personal+biz), so my 5th AMEX application was declined. But, I applied for another AMEX card earlier this year and got approved, so I have 5 AMEX cards now.

Decided to sign up after reading the reviews and looking at the huge value in booking hotel rooms. Thanks OP!

The cash and points rates are good. You get a rate approaching PL rates but get elite credit and benefits on the stay.

bobopig1 said:   Yoksel said:   Is it one pull if you apply to both on the same day?

AMEX had a limit of 4 cards if I'm not mistaken? 2 personal, one business, one corporate. Is it still the case?


this is not strict. YMMV

last year, I was told I am only allowed 4 AMEX cards( personal+biz), so my 5th AMEX application was declined. But, I applied for another AMEX card earlier this year and got approved, so I have 5 AMEX cards now.


On the other hand, I just had a call from AMEX saying that the limit was 4 cards, and they could only give me this card if I closed one of the others. I chose to close my little used Hilton (which may make me eligible to later reapply and get another bonus). This got me the new card with a limit equal to that of the closed card.

The representative on the phone was unable to move lines from other cards to the new one or to other reallocations.

she could transfer me to a customer service representative who was able to do a reallocation from a little used Delta Options to my Blue Preferred, but she could not do anything to increase the limit on the new Starwoods, because it was not yet in the system. I took the gamble that they did not pull a new report for this reallocation (nor did she ask permission to do so)figuring the one that had just been pulled would be available. I may call back in to try to reallocate more to the Starwoods. The goal would be to make the percentage utilization lower while making the spending needed for the bonus, and also to be covered if a vacation or such led to heavy use of the Starwood.

Possibly I should have closed the card earlier to save work when applying for a new card and to make it more likely that I would qualify for any new promotions on the Hilton (I had kept it open so I could do occasional spending to keep the Hilton points account alive).

Those with 4 personal accounts might want to close little used ones (especially when the fee becomes due) to leave room for the next application.

Also, if I had planned ahead, I might have made a small purchase (to earn a few points to keep he Hilton account active) and then paid it off immediately. The reason for paying it off quickly is that it appeared she might have had trouble closing the account and transferring the full limit if it had a balance on it.

Just a data point - I applied and was instantly approved on August 9. I already have an AMEX Costco and a Blue. I got the congratulations letter from AMEX today and it includes this:

We noticed that you also have the Blue Card with us and we have transferred some of the available credit from your Blue Card to your Starwood Pref Guest(R) Card to ensure your new Card has a credit limit that that will meet your needs.

- The credit limit on your Blue Card is $7100.00.
- The credit limit on your new Starwood Pref Guest(R) Card is $9100.00.

If you would like to reallocate the credit limits between your Cards, please call us at 1-800-852-1328 after you receive your new Card. Please note we are unable to extend any additional credit beyond the credit limits listed above at this time.


The old Blue limit was $14K so I did pick up $2.2K overall.

how long does it take for the bonus points to show up after first purchase?

AMEX will say 6-8 weeks. If you send them a secure message you can usually get them at the close of the statement when the qualifying purchase was made.

the biz card is requiring FED ID (TIN)- How are individuals applying for it? Any workarounds?

prastogi said:   the biz card is requiring FED ID (TIN)- How are individuals applying for it? Any workarounds?
for sole proprietorship, for business name, check your state laws. In my state (GA), my business name = my legal name
my Tax ID number is your SSN. in the form, it's a 2-7 format, instead of 3-2-4. So if your SS is 1234567, enter 12-34567 on the first page, then enter your normal SS# on the 2nd page.

prastogi said:   the biz card is requiring FED ID (TIN)- How are individuals applying for it? Any workarounds?I just applied (and was instantly approved) for the Biz card a couple of hours ago. The app specifically stated that a Fed ID wasn't required for a sole proprietorship.

kjgco said:   prastogi said:   the biz card is requiring FED ID (TIN)- How are individuals applying for it? Any workarounds?I just applied (and was instantly approved) for the Biz card a couple of hours ago. The app specifically stated that a Fed ID wasn't required for a sole proprietorship.

thanks for the replies... I got it working via IE.

On Chrome, the FED ID/TIN was still required even if sole proprietorship.

dup!

Any data points on credit score recommended for this card? My EX is up in the mid-740s (lender pull from CLI) and only a couple random inquiries almost a year ago (but not so long ago that I can wait for them to pass the year mark and still app in time for the 30k starpoints).

concededpenguin said:   Any data points on credit score recommended for this card? My EX is up in the mid-740s (lender pull from CLI) and only a couple random inquiries almost a year ago (but not so long ago that I can wait for them to pass the year mark and still app in time for the 30k starpoints).YMMV of course, but DW and I were both instantly approved with similar scores and 4 EXP inquiries each.

Great, thanks for the info. Going on a work trip in two weeks that would allow me to both hit the spend requirement and use it all on hotel and flights for extra points. I'll app for the SPG tomorrow and see what happens.

concededpenguin said:   Any data points on credit score recommended for this card? My EX is up in the mid-740s (lender pull from CLI) and only a couple random inquiries almost a year ago (but not so long ago that I can wait for them to pass the year mark and still app in time for the 30k starpoints).

creditboards.com will be a better resource for that question. Click "credit pulls" on top right, search American Express and your state.
I just did it for my state (GA), they pulled experian, say a score of 665, 677, 708 got approved for card.

Nice, did a search for "spg" and "starwood" and got a number of data points from the card. Looks like everyone with a 700+ score was pretty much approved and only denial reasons were high utilization, too many inquiries, and previous bad things on the credit report.

Can you refer someone (for 5k points) and then that person is still eligible for the 3k bonus?

rashdogg said:   Can you refer someone (for 5k points) and then that person is still eligible for the 3k bonus?

you mean 30k bonus,
and yes.

I applied for both the Personal and Business card the same day.

Instantly approved for the Personal card. Business card app shows pending. When I called in to ask why, I was told by 2 separate CSRs that it's because I tried to apply for the same card twice in the same day, the system needs to approve me in 4 days. Guess I have to wait...

Any tips on what AMEX's normal limits are for total cards per person? I already have 3 AMEX credit cards (not charge), and am not sure what my chances of success are for this card. Does AMEX allow reconsideration via reallocating existing credit lines?

Thanks.

MidnightLight said:   Any tips on what AMEX's normal limits are for total cards per person? I already have 3 AMEX credit cards (not charge), and am not sure what my chances of success are for this card. Does AMEX allow reconsideration via reallocating existing credit lines?

Thanks.
Limit is 4 credit cards. I had similar scenario. I had 2 personal + 2 business CCs and had to close the SPG Business to get the SPG Personal. They moved the whole credit line as is to the new card. I just called the application status number to get the new card approved.

elBulli said:   Nice, did a search for "spg" and "starwood" and got a number of data points from the card. Looks like everyone with a 700+ score was pretty much approved and only denial reasons were high utilization, too many inquiries, and previous bad things on the credit report.

The approval letter I received listed my Experian score as 707 noting it was used to determine CL (8K) and interest rate.

I was approved for Chase SW and Citi Hilton Reserve a month before with a couple of other inquiries in past year and utilization in low 30%s.

ucfzf10 said:   MidnightLight said:   Any tips on what AMEX's normal limits are for total cards per person? I already have 3 AMEX credit cards (not charge), and am not sure what my chances of success are for this card. Does AMEX allow reconsideration via reallocating existing credit lines?

Thanks.
Limit is 4 credit cards. I had similar scenario. I had 2 personal + 2 business CCs and had to close the SPG Business to get the SPG Personal. They moved the whole credit line as is to the new card. I just called the application status number to get the new card approved.


My wife had 3 personal credit, 1 personal charge and added a biz credit no proble(5 cards)

BrlDsguise said:   elBulli said:   Nice, did a search for "spg" and "starwood" and got a number of data points from the card. Looks like everyone with a 700+ score was pretty much approved and only denial reasons were high utilization, too many inquiries, and previous bad things on the credit report.

The approval letter I received listed my Experian score as 707 noting it was used to determine CL (8K) and interest rate.

I was approved for Chase SW and Citi Hilton Reserve a month before with a couple of other inquiries in past year and utilization in low 30%s.


Thanks for the anecdote!

Actually, I went ahead and apped for the personal version. Approved immediately. Don't have my CL yet, but they told me over the phone while reading disclosures that my EX score was a 765, which was surprisingly high. Utilization was 11% and the HP has already hit my report.

I have applied a biz version 3-4 days ago and application status is still in pending! I have a very low utilization but very high # of inquiries (10) during the past 12 months. I already have SPG personal and 2 other personal AMEX credit cards. Does anyone applied and approved under similar circumstances? I still have 770+ Fako scores (via USAA credit check) across three agencies.

JuNooNi said:   I have applied a biz version 3-4 days ago and application status is still in pending! I have a very low utilization but very high # of inquiries (10) during the past 12 months. I already have SPG personal and 2 other personal AMEX credit cards. Does anyone applied and approved under similar circumstances? I still have 770+ Fako scores (via USAA credit check) across three agencies.

My wife got approved under similar circumstances. Status went from pending to approved after 4 days

imbatman said:   ucfzf10 said:   MidnightLight said:   Any tips on what AMEX's normal limits are for total cards per person? I already have 3 AMEX credit cards (not charge), and am not sure what my chances of success are for this card. Does AMEX allow reconsideration via reallocating existing credit lines?

Thanks.
Limit is 4 credit cards. I had similar scenario. I had 2 personal + 2 business CCs and had to close the SPG Business to get the SPG Personal. They moved the whole credit line as is to the new card. I just called the application status number to get the new card approved.


My wife had 3 personal credit, 1 personal charge and added a biz credit no proble(5 cards)
Yes, the limit was for credit cards not maximum number of cards that you can hold. You can have 2 charge cards on top I think. I have now 6 total cards - 4 credit cards + 1 charge card + 1 corporate.

imbatman said:   

My wife got approved under similar circumstances. Status went from pending to approved after 4 days


After I posted the message, I got a call from AMEX, confirmed few things and got approved. Here comes my nights and flight option!

imbatman said:   rashdogg said:   Can you refer someone (for 5k points) and then that person is still eligible for the 3k bonus?

you mean 30k bonus,
and yes.

Anyone know where the referral link is? I got my card and logged in, but couldn't find it...thanks.

nevermind...I did a search from the AMEX search box for refer a friend and it came up



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014