Error

The message you are trying to link to is not in this topic.

• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I basically copied Gutterwench's postpost from last year and tweaked it with different info, and added some comments. Pretty similar deal, with different links, and a different spending requirement.

This deal is valid for both the personal and business card versions. I have repeated signup bonuses on the personal AMEX. HOWEVER, my last card was CLOSED for 24 months before my new application. You can sign up for both the personal and business cards. Currently, AMEX says "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months.". I read that to mean you're eligible for the bonus if you closed your card more than 12 months ago.

Offer good until September 4th.

personal link
business link

Key Points for Both Offers:
- Annual Fee waived for the first year ($65)
- 10k Bonus Starpoints after first purchase
- 20k Bonus Starpoints after $5,000 spend in first 6 months
- business card also enrolls you in AMEX OPEN Savings

Key Card Features:

- Starpoints can be exchanged for airline miles in a very large variety of programs. Most have an exchange ratio of 1:1, but if you exchange 20k Starpoints they will give you a 25% bonus so you end up with 25k airline miles for only 20k Starpoints. (1.25 miles/pt)
- Cash and Points program allows you to pay significantly reduced rates on hotel nights. (I get between 2 and 5 cpp)
- Redeem Starpoints for free nights at over 1,000 hotels in nearly 100 countries and free flights on more than 350 airlines, all with no blackout dates (I get between 1.8-3.2 cpp)
- Get at least 4 Starpoints for every dollar you spend at Starwood Preferred Guest Hotels and Resorts
- Enjoy no annual fee for the first year, then $65 each year thereafter
- Found out yesterday - 14,000 points gets you a $150 Amazon gift card (1.07 cpp)

To be eligible to receive 10,000 bonus Starpoints, referred individual(s) must make their first purchase with the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card within one year of Card approval. Bonus points will appear on their Starwood Preferred Guest statement 8-12 weeks after their first purchase.

In order to receive additional 20,000 bonus Starpoints, you must use their Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card to complete $5,000 of eligible spending by the end of their first six months of Cardmembership, based on the date of their Card approval. 20,000 Starpoints will be credited to your account 8 to 12 weeks after you reach the spend threshold (thought I have found the points usually are credited at the end of the cycle when you meet the spending requirement)
Pay no annual fee for the first year. The annual fee after the first year is $65

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I see the current offer is 25k points.

Is this the standard offer?
Would it be worth the wait for the 30k to rollback arou... (more)

KYBOSH (Feb. 06, 2013 @ 1:59a) |

That is a function of the SPG program. If you transfer in increments of 20K SPG you get the 5K bump when you transfer ... (more)

Sesq (Feb. 06, 2013 @ 8:21a) |

Seeing this thread raises the question of whether one or both cards should be canceled now to have the possibility of ap... (more)

ProfessorEd (Feb. 08, 2013 @ 6:58p) |

This offer is expired - topic moved back to finance (from expired deals) to discuss any issues with point awards etc.

blah

outtawhack said:   Dead
No it's not, read my OP, which says
"NOTE - at the time of this posting, the landing pages work, but when you click through to the application page, you get an error message. If you navigate through the AMEX site, the landing pages work, and the application pages don't. I will update this when the application links are working."

It was announced by AMEX today for noon. My guess is the links will work in 1 hr 50 minutes.

edited OP - links live, and that note has been removed.

Both applications state "† Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months."

Edit: my interpretation is that if you closed your card by July 2011, you ought to be eligible for bonus.

I can see the 10,000 for first purchase, but I don't see the terms for the 20k with 5k purchase. Anyone see something that I don't?

ReticentRancor said:   I can see the 10,000 for first purchase, but I don't see the terms for the 20k with 5k purchase. Anyone see something that I don't?I'm looking at the Business app right now:

Earn up to 30,000 bonus Starpoints: Receive 10,000 Starpoints after your first purchase and an additional 20,000 bonus Starpoints when you spend $5,000 within first 6 months of Cardmembership

Personal app does not show 30,000 points.

kjgco said:   ReticentRancor said:   I can see the 10,000 for first purchase, but I don't see the terms for the 20k with 5k purchase. Anyone see something that I don't?I'm looking at the Business app right now:

Earn up to 30,000 bonus Starpoints: Receive 10,000 Starpoints after your first purchase and an additional 20,000 bonus Starpoints when you spend $5,000 within first 6 months of Cardmembership

does this work with FW CashBack?

For those that only see 10k. Make sure you are completely logged out of AmericanExpress.com, clear cookies, or copy and paste link to in-private browsing.
Verybadengineer- what CashBack offer are you talking about?

Or it's possible I copied the wrong link in for the personal. I will double check the link when I'm back at my desk.
I got to the landing page via "view all card offers" earlier today.

Personal link worked for me, saw 30k.

Thanks. Cleared cookies and the personal link works now!

imbatman said:   Or it's possible I copied the wrong link in for the personal. I will double check the link when I'm back at my desk.

imbatman said:   Or it's possible I copied the wrong link in for the personal. I will double check the link when I'm back at my desk.

The linked application is good. We just need to open the url in chrome incognito mode.

I just canceled my SPG Business last month, and never had an SPG personal card. Will I get the bonus if i get the SPG personal card? Does "have had this product" mean any SPG, or a Biz and Personal are different in this sense?

got approved instantly using your pesonal link, thanks!

first starwoods card

weeeeeeee said:   I just canceled my SPG Business last month, and never had an SPG personal card. Will I get the bonus if i get the SPG personal card? Does "have had this product" mean any SPG, or a Biz and Personal are different in this sense?
You should be able to get the Personal bonus.
AMEX considers Biz and Personal cards to be separate products.

Note though that the 30K points are not after your first purchase...20K of the points you won't get until you spend $5,000 within the first 6 months.

MrVietnam said:   Note though that the 30K points are not after your first purchase...20K of the points you won't get until you spend $5,000 within the first 6 months.

Yea. . . that's mentioned in the OP. . . .twice

Good find, thanks OP. This is one of my favorite cards.

Anyone cancelled their card when they still had SPG points? If so, what happened to the points?

robodukie said:   Good find, thanks OP. This is one of my favorite cards.

Anyone cancelled their card when they still had SPG points? If so, what happened to the points?

SPG account is independent from AMEX account (unlike the membership rewards points which are linked to AMEX account). As soon as the points hit your SPG account, they're yours forever (or until they expire). If you cancel the card before they are credited to your SPG account, you will lose them.

Good find, thanks OP. This is one of my favorite cards.

robodukie said:   Good find, thanks OP. This is one of my favorite cards.

DW and I have each cancelled a biz card; the points remained in our SPG accounts.

Any chance an app. for the business Starwoods card would trigger a financial review?

Anyone successfully churned this one? How long between apps? It would be measured in years.

BTW, the travel bloggers are pushing this one *hard*. Anyone know how much the affiliate bonus pays?

TravelerMSY said:   Anyone successfully churned this one? How long between apps? It would be measured in years.

I think 12 months between apps

Can anyone comment on redeeming SPG points for flights? What are redemption rates like?

rmf1981 said:   Can anyone comment on redeeming SPG points for flights? What are redemption rates like?
Your best bet is to convert 20k pts to 25k airline miles and redeem them that way. You can convert to all the big airline alliances.
Then the redemption rate is whatever you value your airline miles.

anyone applied both and got approved both?

Can anyone tell me what other gift cards might be available besides Amazon? Anything like best buy, Sears, WalMart,etc. Also if you have a link to that info would be great. I couldnt even find anything that showed Amazon cards as a redemption option. Thanks for your help!

Redemption options link. There aren't many retailer options
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/account/starpoints/...

joeylita said:   Can anyone tell me what other gift cards might be available besides Amazon? Anything like best buy, Sears, WalMart,etc. Also if you have a link to that info would be great. I couldnt even find anything that showed Amazon cards as a redemption option. Thanks for your help!

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/account/starpoints...

thanks VERY much for the rapid reply! that was EXACTLY the info i was looking for. The Amazon makes it worthwhile to me !!

imbatman said:   rmf1981 said:   Can anyone comment on redeeming SPG points for flights? What are redemption rates like?
Your best bet is to convert 20k pts to 25k airline miles and redeem them that way. You can convert to all the big airline alliances.
Then the redemption rate is whatever you value your airline miles.

this is one way, but i'd compare using miles to using SPG points for flights. all depends on the route.

but no matter which way you use it, i think this is one of the best points programs out there.
a lot of good options!

traveldealer said:   The Ops link didn't seem to work for me on the personal , but [

I'm fairly certain this is a referral link that will give traveldealer 5k SPG points.
and the link in the OP works just fine.

If you have a personal card, and you want to refer a friend, you'll get an extra 5k SPG points. Your friend will get the same 30k after 5k spend in 6 months offer.
Good way to get an extra 5k points if you already have the card.
NOTE: you can only refer the product you have - if you have the personal, you can send a referral for personal. If you have biz, you can refer the biz card.
If you have the personal, you cannot refer the biz card.

TravelerMSY said:   Anyone successfully churned this one? How long between apps? It would be measured in years.

BTW, the travel bloggers are pushing this one *hard*. Anyone know how much the affiliate bonus pays?

There are referral offers. I bet each blogger gets 5k SPG points each time someone is approved using the link on their site.

Getting an error on the personal app now but I swear it was working earlier today. Looks like an AMEX server issue though.

Skipping 87 Messages...
traveldealer said:   TravelerMSY said:   Anyone successfully churned this one? How long between apps? It would be measured in years.

I think 12 months between apps

Seeing this thread raises the question of whether one or both cards should be canceled now to have the possibility of applying for another card in the future. The business can get "Open" that that is not worth a lot. Both can earn the occasional point to keep the Starwood points account open and might be used if there is another small business day where you earn a credit for using your card. If this is to be done, it might be wise to use the card once so a few points are earned before it is canceled.

Any advice?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014