• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
flaster910 said:   I just talked to customer service and two people from HSBC said this $12 fee is only for wire transfers, not regular bank to bank transfers. Hopefully they will be sending out a clarification. But according to both of these reps, the bank to bank transfers are still free.

This is what I suspected, but the email (and the link in the email) are completely unclear. Expect that there'll be a follow-up email... or lots of account closured... or both.

rumpletzer said:   This is what I suspected, but the email (and the link in the email) are completely unclear. Expect that there'll be a follow-up email... or lots of account closured... or both.

Yeah I made clear to both reps that people were completely misunderstanding this email and that they should send out a clarification ASAP. Hopefully they will soon.

Thanks I recently closed my account for the same reason. Thanks though

The lady told me they had an emergency meeting to clarify this I might still move money out- HSBC vs local credit union, we all know where good Karma lives, especially if rates are the same..

Do people think Eesh Bansal got beaten up at the emergency meeting?

reagle said:   The lady told me they had an emergency meeting to clarify this I might still move money out- HSBC vs local credit union, we all know where good Karma lives, especially if rates are the same..

They're crazy for not sending a clarification. I already transferred every $ out of my HSBC account. No way I was going to risk those crazy fees even for a second.

Someone should get fired for this. HSBC is an international bank! How on earth they let this kind of mistake happen?! Don't they proofread before sending out mass emails????

I think they are clearly trying to eliminate efforts to market this type of account that used to be easy to attract new cash to the bank and are demonstrating that they don't want customers to stick around anymore, especially those not "active" enough. They already sold a huge chunk of their retail customers to first niagra in most of the northeast. This email was also really poorly laid out and worded. I would love to see how much cash was moved out by all customers as a result of this single email. I bet it was in the millions...

You'd think they'd want to keep customers in HSBC accounts but in reality, these might be small potatoes accounts that cost more than they earn from deposits by the bank and actually be an intentional move to reduce accounts. Might look toward ING or other possibilities...

I think everyone should call and see what HSBC has to say. I'm sure we will hear 50 different stories!

I'm surprised ANYONE has stayed with this dump after the account freeze fiasco a couple of years ago. The bank is run by morons, plenty of much better alternatives out there.

yep, time to move out!

kesco said:   reagle said:   The lady told me they had an emergency meeting to clarify this I might still move money out- HSBC vs local credit union, we all know where good Karma lives, especially if rates are the same..

They're crazy for not sending a clarification. I already transferred every $ out of my HSBC account. No way I was going to risk those crazy fees even for a second.

I think you guys are over-reacting a bit by transferring money out same day as email. At first glance, the transfer fees are fishy for an ONLINE acct and it isn't scheduled to take place unit Sept 23.

Relax and let them sort it out first, if not, you still have until 9/23.

I got this email at 11:23 pm est and its still wrong based on this thread. Closing the account anyway due to the errors and cutbacks lately.

Got it too.. Their rates stink so it doesn't really matter.

I just got the email at 11:53pm, no clarification yet. Well if the fees only apply to transferring money to HSBC, and not the other way around, then it's not a big deal. After all, considering how low their rate is now, I have no intention of putting any more money in there. Strange that my wife hasn't received the email yet (we each have an account there)

samiam68 said:   I'm surprised ANYONE has stayed with this dump after the account freeze fiasco a couple of years ago. The bank is run by morons, plenty of much better alternatives out there.

What account freeze fiasco are you referring to? I must have missed that thread.

flaster910 said:   I just talked to customer service and two people from HSBC said this $12 fee is only for wire transfers, not regular bank to bank transfers. Hopefully they will be sending out a clarification. But according to both of these reps, the bank to bank transfers are still free.

I presumed as much, but they really need to clarify this in an official email. Imagine all those people with direct deposit of their paycheck or social security that now think they will get dinged every two weeks!

does that mean i have to pay for a fee for direct deposit?

Yeah, an incoming transfer fee is just nuts. At least it sounds like this was just a unintentionally vague email and it doesn't apply to ACH.

reagle said:   Hmm, so first they lower the rates to almost nothing and now they want to tax me every time I put money in?! Screw them. Anybody got a better place to suggest?

Alliant Credit Union.

We moved everything there months ago - awesome service, very good rates, slick website, faster ACH than HSBC, Ally, etc.

I'm reading this thread as I use hsbc to do some monthly sch deposits.I agree with previous posts that this bank message is 1. Poorly written and 2. Will scare off deposits. If needed I will switch to ally or a newcomer Barclay's.

Glad to hear it was probably a mistake. $12 for an incoming ACH is insane.

All savings account/money market APYs suck right now, but with this latest email regardless of it being a mistake or not, I think I'll take the time to move on. Might try Ally bank since the APY is a little higher and they are more committed to low or no fees. HSBC seems to be frogboiling customers into lower and lower rates every 6 months

this similar issue is why I'm also looking to leave TD Bank. As Commerce bank they truly had the lowest checking fees and were the most convenient, but every few months introduced new fees to keep your money.

I transfered my 90% of money last week to Barclays will do the rest by this week and followed by closure of account.

Isn't HSBC Bank now Capital One? Or is that just for HSBC credit cards?

wotus said:   Isn't HSBC Bank now Capital One? Or is that just for HSBC credit cards?

Just credit cards, I believe.

gremln007 said:   wotus said:   Isn't HSBC Bank now Capital One? Or is that just for HSBC credit cards?

Just credit cards, I believe.

Ah ok, thanks!

I've been on hold for 30 minutes now trying to close my account, i'm opening an account at ally.com, hsbc has been annoying with their low rates and even if the email is misunderstood, they seem like a bunch of idiots why would i want to store my money there?

I got the same message. For those considering new accounts, I opened Ally and it took under 5 minutes. I've already linked my bank accounts and have also linked my HSBC account and made a small transfer. Once that goes through, I plan on transfering the rest on the first of the month after interest posts.

Ally is at .89% compared to .4% for HSBC and also doesn't take 4 days to transfer like HSBC. The interface seems nicer as well.

Saved me a phone call. I got the same e-mail last night too. Now that all of HSBC's are First Niagara here, and there is no retail presence in town, even though HSBC tower is still the tallest buiding in town, there would have been no way to manage HSBC online account without ability to move money for free.

Quite frankly, I am surprized that I am still with HSBC, since all of local customers were supposed to migrate to First Niagara in the take over, but probbaly because I was an online customer first, and then became a "local" cusotmer by adding checking account, I ended up with HSBC.

Other than their free account aggergation software, there is no real reason to stay with them. I just keep a little bit (<$10,000 in their accounts), since we travel, and HSBC is a global bank.

This sucks.

Fees for checking account holders too....HSBC is insane!!

Effective 9/23/12, the following Choice Checking account fees are changing:
Monthly Maintenance Fee-$15 (criteria to avoid Monthly Maintenance Fee is
unchanged), Funds Transfer-Out, per outgoing transfer-$35 each, Foreign
Currency Draft (DD Commission)-$30 each.
A Choice Checking account opened less than one year as of September 23,
2012 will not be charged a Monthly Maintenance Fee until its twelve-month
anniversary.

I got this on my HSBC choice checking statement. HSBC is insane!

Effective 9/23/12, the following Choice Checking account fees are changing:
Monthly Maintenance Fee-$15 (criteria to avoid Monthly Maintenance Fee is
unchanged), Funds Transfer-Out, per outgoing transfer-$35 each, Foreign
Currency Draft (DD Commission)-$30 each.
A Choice Checking account opened less than one year as of September 23,
2012 will not be charged a Monthly Maintenance Fee until its twelve-month
anniversary.

The stupid email gave me the push I needed to close my HSBC savings account which I've had since 2006. The interest rate keeps dropping; ACHs are slow; I get a lot of junk snail mail and yesterday's badly phrased email. More than enough reasons to say good-bye HSBC.

blueiedgod said:   Saved me a phone call. I got the same e-mail last night too. Now that all of HSBC's are First Niagara here, and there is no retail presence in town, even though HSBC tower is still the tallest buiding in town, there would have been no way to manage HSBC online account without ability to move money for free.

Quite frankly, I am surprized that I am still with HSBC, since all of local customers were supposed to migrate to First Niagara in the take over, but probbaly because I was an online customer first, and then became a "local" cusotmer by adding checking account, I ended up with HSBC.

You hit on exactly why you're still with HSBC instead of First Niagara. At many banks, the first half of your account number indicates the branch at which you opened your account. If your branch number is one of the ones that got moved to First Niagara, your account got moved, otherwise it didn't. If you opened it online, your branch code could be one that stayed with HSBC.

I had the same thing happen with FleetBoston. A bunch of their branches were divested because of the merger, and most of my colleagues who used BankBoston got moved to the new bank because the local branch switched over, but I didn't because I had opened my account online.

Thanks HSBC, this was the push I needed.
I called customer service, and closed my account.
They will mail me the check.

scotto777 said:   I got the same message. For those considering new accounts, I opened Ally and it took under 5 minutes. I've already linked my bank accounts and have also linked my HSBC account and made a small transfer. Once that goes through, I plan on transfering the rest on the first of the month after interest posts.

Ally is at .89% compared to .4% for HSBC and also doesn't take 4 days to transfer like HSBC. The interface seems nicer as well.

I plan on doing the same. I've created a Barclays account and currently transferring over.

jmally said:   All savings account/money market APYs suck right now, but with this latest email regardless of it being a mistake or not, I think I'll take the time to move on. Might try Ally bank since the APY is a little higher and they are more committed to low or no fees. HSBC seems to be frogboiling customers into lower and lower rates every 6 months

this similar issue is why I'm also looking to leave TD Bank. As Commerce bank they truly had the lowest checking fees and were the most convenient, but every few months introduced new fees to keep your money.

This is my take too. This thread, even though people are overreacting, reminded me that I'm wasting time by having to administer yet one more bank account that is giving me no benefit. I know this is a fee for wire transfers, but there's no point in maintaining my relationship with HSBC at this point. I already use Alliant and other credit unions, but keep a token amount on deposit at HSBC as a historical artifact.

What is the best way to close the HSBC account? Is calling the only option?

PollyG said:   What is the best way to close the HSBC account? Is calling the only option?

I read that you can just transfer all your money out of the account, then use BankMail to ask them to close the account for you. If there is any outstanding interest, they are supposed to mail you a check for it. I plan to try closing my account this way, but I've decided to wait until the beginning of Sept after they've posted the interest.

OP updated with clarification statement posted on HSBC website.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014