• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
dscline said:   The app says "card expires in 6 months". Does that mean you have to get 10 punches within six months, or does that mean it expires after six months of inactivity (i.e., the 6 months resets after every punch)? I only get gas once a month, so it doesn't make sense for me to even bother with gas if I have to get 10 punches within 6 months.

All you have to do is spend $200 dollars worth of gas in 6 months as the max you can get back per merchant is $20. So $20 x 10 = $200. I'm sure your fillup cost more than $20, so spread it out to couple times per month instead of once per month. If all you spend is $200 in 6 months for gas, I don't know why you even have a car.

You guys broke it... the site is down now...

nevermind... came back up.

starcrossed said:   You guys broke it... the site is down now...

nevermind... came back up.

Still down here. Likely related to an attack on GoDaddy; a whois reveals that GoDaddy is the host for punchcard.com.

EDIT: It's back up for me.

roadwarrior313 said:   dscline said:   The app says "card expires in 6 months". Does that mean you have to get 10 punches within six months, or does that mean it expires after six months of inactivity (i.e., the 6 months resets after every punch)? I only get gas once a month, so it doesn't make sense for me to even bother with gas if I have to get 10 punches within 6 months.

All you have to do is spend $200 dollars worth of gas in 6 months as the max you can get back per merchant is $20. So $20 x 10 = $200. I'm sure your fillup cost more than $20, so spread it out to couple times per month instead of once per month. If all you spend is $200 in 6 months for gas, I don't know why you even have a car.

Chevy Volt? According to commercials, that be efficient enough not to spend $200 in 6 months with 10 punches...

roadwarrior313 said:   I'm sure your fillup cost more than $20, so spread it out to couple times per month instead of once per month. If all you spend is $200 in 6 months for gas, I don't know why you even have a car.
I never said I only spend $200 in 6 months, I said I only get gas once a month. I get gas at Kroger, using my plus card. That saves me anywhere from $.40/gallon to $2/gallon ($2 lately, with their gift card promotions), on up to 35 gallons. When I get gas, I fill up my car AND some gas cans, which allows me to maximize the savings. Lately, I've been saving $70 per trip. If I instead went twice per month, I'd lose a lot more in the guaranteed Kroger savings than I'd gain in this less certain Punchcard savings.

The question is simply: does the 6 month counter start from the first punch, or does it reset with every punch? If visiting a vendor 10 times in six months is a requirement, that doesn't seem like an insignificant detail. There are places that we go to fairly frequently, but there are a LOT of places that I shop less often than an average of every 18 days. I eat out a lot, but not necessarily the same places to the extent that each one gets visited at least 20 times per year. If that's a requirement, there's no need to bother tracking purchases from places that will never quality. I've written them, but haven't received an answer yet.

dscline said:   roadwarrior313 said:   I'm sure your fillup cost more than $20, so spread it out to couple times per month instead of once per month. If all you spend is $200 in 6 months for gas, I don't know why you even have a car.
I never said I only spend $200 in 6 months, I said I only get gas once a month. I get gas at Kroger, using my plus card. That saves me anywhere from $.40/gallon to $2/gallon ($2 lately, with their gift card promotions), on up to 35 gallons. When I get gas, I fill up my car AND some gas cans, which allows me to maximize the savings. Lately, I've been saving $70 per trip. If I instead went twice per month, I'd lose a lot more in the guaranteed Kroger savings than I'd gain in this less certain Punchcard savings.

The question is simply: does the 6 month counter start from the first punch, or does it reset with every punch? If visiting a vendor 10 times in six months is a requirement, that doesn't seem like an insignificant detail. There are places that we go to fairly frequently, but there are a LOT of places that I shop less often than an average of every 18 days. I eat out a lot, but not necessarily the same places to the extent that each one gets visited at least 20 times per year. If that's a requirement, there's no need to bother tracking purchases from places that will never quality. I've written them, but haven't received an answer yet.

If it's all Kroger, how about using some grocery receipts to make up the rest?

Zaos said:   

They list Kroger Fuel and Kroger grocery separately, and the receipts are different (one says Kroger Fuel), but I suppose I could try. Regardless, I still think the basic question is important. Outside of the grocery store and just a few favorite restaurants, there aren't that many places I reliably go 10 or more times per six months. The answer will change whether I bother to use this everywhere I go, or just a few select places.

Here come the Vikings...

Lots of weasel words on the site. Punchcard works nearly everywhere. Use Punchcard at [list of stores] and almost anywhere else. Rewards come in the form of free stuff or Cash Back. Value caps may vary by location.

So my takeaway is it may not work for every store, my reward might be a free cup of coffee instead of 10% Cash Back, and/or my 10% Cash Back could be capped at $5. I'm not saying it's a dud but before I structure purchases to maximize a $20 Cash Back rebate across 10 purchases I think I'd want more concrete info.

If this stays afloat I will cave and get an android phone!

It doesn't say you have to keep the stuff you buy

dscline said:   The app says "card expires in 6 months". Does that mean you have to get 10 punches within six months, or does that mean it expires after six months of inactivity (i.e., the 6 months resets after every punch)? I only get gas once a month, so it doesn't make sense for me to even bother with gas if I have to get 10 punches within 6 months.

it appears to be 6 months of inactivity. the expiration date updated to a later date when i entered my second punch.

mike212 said:   
it appears to be 6 months of inactivity. the expiration date updated to a later date when i entered my second punch.

Good to know, thanks! I had expected (or at least hoped) that was the case, as 10 punches in six months did seem somewhat limiting. I emailed them yesterday morning and asked, but haven't received a response.

dscline said:   Zaos said:   

They list Kroger Fuel and Kroger grocery separately, and the receipts are different (one says Kroger Fuel), but I suppose I could try. Regardless, I still think the basic question is important. Outside of the grocery store and just a few favorite restaurants, there aren't that many places I reliably go 10 or more times per six months. The answer will change whether I bother to use this everywhere I go, or just a few select places.

Is there no way to pay at Korger grocery, get some sort of token, and use that at gas to get gas?

No, they are separate from that perspective. They are even categorized differently by CC companies (I get CB at "grocery" rates in the store, and at gas rates out at the fuel center). But since it's been confirmed that the expiration date updated with each punch, it's moot.

Success (or any) stories please!!!

So far we have only one reply from a member with a total of five messages, and that one sounds like an employee/interested party:
pt3004 said:   I've been using this app since quite sometime now.. And so far i've already received checks totaling more than $50. I'd highly recommend this app.

neophyte said:   Success (or any) stories please!!!

So far we have only one reply from a member with a total of five messages, and that one sounds like an employee/interested party:
pt3004 said:   I've been using this app since quite sometime now.. And so far i've already received checks totaling more than $50. I'd highly recommend this app.

Several receipts were approved. Three expired ones were rejected.

also note I think their fine print says it may take a couple of months to get a check. So I'm not getting too excited

dscline said:   mike212 said:   

Good to know, thanks! I had expected (or at least hoped) that was the case, as 10 punches in six months did seem somewhat limiting. I emailed them yesterday morning and asked, but haven't received a response.

Heh, well, I got a (rather unclear) reply:

Carmen from Punchcard said: The card will expire on the date stated, that might be 6 months or whatever the merchant may have chosen as the expiration date. We hope that you continue using Punchcard and appreciate you being a user. If you have more questions, please let me know. Happy Punching!

Maybe big brother is really the one who wants the information. They have unlimited money to print / borrow, and they love to know every detail of every person's life...

At a limit of 1 punchcard a day, this is too much work for getting $20. Do they think we're morons, eagerly scanning 1 receipt a day every day in hopes that everything will go smoothly and we might receive the $20?
Seriously, just get a job that pays $6/hr and work 4 hours and you're better off.

If you are buying items anyway, it takes 20 seconds to scan and send it in. I will gladly take the free money. Also, with 2 people buying gas on different days in 2 large cars, it makes this very easy.

Nightrush said:   If you are buying items anyway, it takes 20 seconds to scan and send it in. I will gladly take the free money. Also, with 2 people buying gas on different days in 2 large cars, it makes this very easy.

This is what I'm doing. I have a 25 mile commute to work, and my wife has a 40 mile commute. We also live approximately 1 minute from a gas station that we pass on our way in/out. Rather than filling up, it's just as easy to get $20 every other day or so. I'll have 10 receipts within 2 weeks.

And yes, the photo/uploading takes 20-30 seconds. If the site is legit, I make $20; if the site flakes, all I'm out is 5 minutes of time spread over 10 days. Risk-reward looks good to me on that one.

I heard about punchcard through a friend, and started trying it out a few months ago. I haven't gotten up to 10 punches for any one location, so I haven't received any money, but my friend said he received a couple of checks. What they do is they take the average of your 10 purchases, so if any receipt is less than $20, then the check you receive won't be $20, but it will be less. I figure there's not much to lose for taking a photo of my receipt and punching it in...it's stuff that I need to buy anyhow.

So far, my experience with the Punchcard app, appears to be good. The receipt photos have all been approved the next day. The expiration date on each card seems to be 6 months from the first purchase. It does not appear to get extended with each additional purchase. So, you have 6 months to make 10 purchases at the same place.

requested 2 check yesterday, one for ~$15, and one for ~$7.

We'll see if they show in a couple months.

The fact that their camera app doesn't use my phone's autofocus makes it completely useless. Nothing is legible.

expired said:   The fact that their camera app doesn't use my phone's autofocus makes it completely useless. Nothing is legible.
Which phone do you have? It works fine on the iPhone for me. You may want to report this issue to them.

Go to http://punchcard.com/aboutus/ and click the 'Click Here' button under "For Customer Support".

expired said:   The fact that their camera app doesn't use my phone's autofocus makes it completely useless. Nothing is legible.

works fine on gs3

HTC amaze and iPhone 4s worked fine, try tapping the screen to focus where you want.

They haven't approved any of my new punches for a few days now. Anyone have their punches approved lately?

tedteddy said:   They haven't approved any of my new punches for a few days now. Anyone have their punches approved lately?
My most recently approved punch was submitted on 9/27 and approved on 9/30. They do seem to be taking longer to approve punches than they were a few weeks ago.

There doesn't seem to be a tap to focus function on my Android Gingerbread 2.3 based Motorola phone. Still quite useless. Switching to the regular camera app, and take pics activate autofocus and have quite clear receipts.

Filed a support ticket 6 days ago, and had zero response. Decided to take a couple blurry photos just to see what would happen. All my cards average zero, so either non are approved or they haven't gotten to it yet.

tedteddy said:   They haven't approved any of my new punches for a few days now. Anyone have their punches approved lately?

I just had a punch from 9/29 approved this morning.

expired said:   There doesn't seem to be a tap to focus function on my Android Gingerbread 2.3 based Motorola phone.Are you running a stock phone or is it rooted? I have no issues with my original Motorola Droid running 2.2.3

I had noticed that my receipt captures weren't nearly as clear as my check captures I get from my bank's remote deposit app. I just assumed they were capturing at a really low rez, but perhaps it is lack of autofocus. I'm on a Galaxy Note, still on Gingerbread, fwiw.

i've found the quality of the pics is helped on my old iphone 3gs when I tap the screen to focus it. doh.

What's frustrating about some of these punchard/discount/couponing apps that I've run into is that they don't let you see beforehand what businesses are participating. What the heck does "almost anywhere else" mean? They go out of their way to mention all these chains but if I use it at some random indie coffee shop or the vegan gluten free bakery or the anarchist book store is this going to work?

I believe they use FourSquare - so any businesses listed on FourSquare should work.

safeway and Techo (gas) worked for me. Important to note that $20 max is per transaction, not as the payout. So break up your transactions accordingly (I started out doing like $28 gas followed by $12 gas trying to get it to average out).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014