• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Punchcard.com
Disclaimer
LINK

Just found out about a loyalty/rewards service launched earlier this year called Punchcard.

It's a digital loyalty program that works everywhere. You take a photo of your receipts at any business with their mobile app, and on every 10th visit to that business, you get the average of your past 10 purchases, up to $30. So, from what I understand, this is effectively 10% Cash Back.

TechCrunch Review

-Ryan Goldstein

EDIT: It appears that Punchcard has since reduced the maximum payout from $30 (as mentioned in the TechCrunch article) to $20.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
That's funny. Based on "user feedback", people would rather have a chance to win something than actually get something? ... (more)

kranky (Jan. 25, 2013 @ 6:13p) |

I have a question for u when do u get a check from this companies?? And how do u get it? So far I punched 11 times@ targ... (more)

carolinatorres (Mar. 13, 2013 @ 2:22a) |

Those resturaunt.com vouchers are so cheap they are literally given away.
I saw a sale where you get a $50 (i think) one ... (more)

KYBOSH (Mar. 13, 2013 @ 5:53a) |

Cash Back is in the form of a restaurant.com gift card. Nothing to see, move along.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Would like to hear a real review from someone here at Fatwallet who has tried this. As people point out in the TechCrunch comments, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of legitimate testimonials for this.

can we download apps to wifi tablets ?

BondGamer said:   Would like to hear a real review from someone here at Fatwallet who has tried this. As people point out in the TechCrunch comments, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of legitimate testimonials for this.
I would too. For what it's worth, it has positive reviews and a good rating in the iTunes app store, and I've seen blog posts and such that say that they have received the checks as promised. Also, the About Us page on the site seems legit, with the real name of the founders (unlike Envaulted, where the names of the executives had to be hunted down).

vickh said:   can we download apps to wifi tablets ?
Yes, according to the app listing in the iTunes App Store (here), it's compatible with iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. I'd imagine it's the same for other mobile platforms.

How can I sign up? I do not see anywhere to create an account.

woodsley said:   How can I sign up? I do not see anywhere to create an account.
Download the app onto your mobile device. You sign up through there (you can either make a new account or link to an existing Facebook account).

I'm missing how this is remotely sustainable. Get ready for the envaulted...errr...punchcard kicked my dog amd left the toilet seat up posts.

I've been using this app since quite sometime now.. And so far i've already received checks totaling more than $50. I'd highly recommend this app.

Gave it a shot this afternoon.
Seems incredibly buggy. I get "Congrats" on first punchcard, value $0 (!?!). Close app, reopen and punchcard is gone. wtf? One of the reviews noted this exact problem so apparently I'm not the only one.

Maybe I'll return to this one if/when it actually works.

Still green for OP for introducing this app despite the fact that I won't (or can't) use it.

kintro said:   Gave it a shot this afternoon.
Seems incredibly buggy. I get "Congrats" on first punchcard, value $0 (!?!). Close app, reopen and punchcard is gone. wtf? One of the reviews noted this exact problem so apparently I'm not the only one.

Maybe I'll return to this one if/when it actually works.

Still green for OP for introducing this app despite the fact that I won't (or can't) use it.

Thanks for the green.

I haven't experienced that problem myself, but from what I've read, deleting the app, reinstalling, and logging back in will restore the punchcards.

Could someone comment on the business model of this company, so that we have an idea how this data is going to be used? With the financial backing that the company has, I am assuming there is some concrete plan for all this data. Can anybody enlighten us on that?

Submitted a 7/11 purchase for a 200$ MoneyPak, came out blurry, but we'll see.

Well, OP had provided an interesting link, but he also made some large conjectures for the sake of publicity: in fact Punchcard nowhere mentions 10% off everything ; overall they're very sketchy on T&Cs - nothing but a very short FAQ

Maybe I missed it - please prove me wrong, I'd be happy to peruse the service

neophyte said:   Well, OP had provided an interesting link, but he also made some large conjectures for the sake of publicity: in fact Punchcard nowhere mentions 10% off everything ; overall they're very sketchy on T&Cs - nothing but a very short FAQ

Maybe I missed it - please prove me wrong, I'd be happy to peruse the service

I based those claims on the TechCrunch article I posted. I share your concerns about a lack of details on their website. I just found it today, so I'm not sure if they used to have more and removed them. I have a hunch that they are purposely vague so that they can change their model at some point to a more sustainable one without causing too much of a commotion.

papamicd said:   Could someone comment on the business model of this company, so that we have an idea how this data is going to be used? With the financial backing that the company has, I am assuming there is some concrete plan for all this data. Can anybody enlighten us on that?

It looks like Punchcard is trying to become a provider that companies outsource their loyalty reward programs to. These initial rewards are a way to get users and thus to prove to said companies that customers will use them and such.

For now the data is probably just used to decide how much to reward users and also probably to show said companies what type of customers are likely to be part of a loyalty program. Later the data will be used for everything that it's used for in today's loyalty programs.

qwerty12345otron said:   I'm missing how this is remotely sustainable. Get ready for the envaulted...errr...punchcard kicked my dog amd left the toilet seat up posts.

10% is easily sustainable by businesses, they just jack prices by 10% in the long run :-p.

But seriously, unless it gets gamed like every other rewards system gets gamed, a 10% back isn't unsustainable and it won't cripple stores, especially given that you need to shop there a bunch in order to get that 10% back.

I might check it out for my businesses, looks like an interesting way to drive repeat customers.

technolich said:   
But seriously, unless it gets gamed like every other rewards system gets gamed.

It's going to get gamed....

technolich said:   qwerty12345otron said:   I'm missing how this is remotely sustainable. Get ready for the envaulted...errr...punchcard kicked my dog amd left the toilet seat up posts.

10% is easily sustainable by businesses, they just jack prices by 10% in the long run :-p.

But seriously, unless it gets gamed like every other rewards system gets gamed, a 10% back isn't unsustainable and it won't cripple stores, especially given that you need to shop there a bunch in order to get that 10% back.

I might check it out for my businesses, looks like an interesting way to drive repeat customers.

Is the business paying the ~10% or is "punchcard"???

alamo11 said:   Submitted a 7/11 purchase for a 200$ MoneyPak, came out blurry, but we'll see.

Paying that FBI virus off are you?

Sucker

rhino850 said:   Is the business paying the ~10% or is "punchcard"???
Punchcard pays the 10%. Their business, according to the TechCrunch article posted above, is selling analytics services to businesses for $29/month or $99/month to get granular insight about their customers' purchase behaviors, as well as enrollment in a marketing program to encourage repeat business from their customers. Also according to that article, they partnered with KDA Group, one of the largest local marketing agencies, which has begun selling Punchcard's analytics to their network, including major retailers and chains with around 300,000 locations.

stiltner said:   alamo11 said:   Submitted a 7/11 purchase for a 200$ MoneyPak, came out blurry, but we'll see.

Sucker

No dumbass I am CashBack churning. Buy the Pak with 5% card and call moneypak for check refund. They even refund the fee! If this punchcard thing is legit I am golden!

Looks interesting. Hope they stick around long enough for me to visit a place 10 times.

alamo11 said:   stiltner said:   alamo11 said:   Submitted a 7/11 purchase for a 200$ MoneyPak, came out blurry, but we'll see.

Sucker

No dumbass I am CashBack churning. Buy the Pak with 5% card and call moneypak for check refund. They even refund the fee! If this punchcard thing is legit I am golden!

I thought all GreenDot vendors were strict about not allowing MoneyPak purchases with credit card. Does this work at all 7/11's near you or did you have to shop around?

Not trying to be a dumbass, just genuinely curious.

dbond79 said:   alamo11 said:   stiltner said:   alamo11 said:   Submitted a 7/11 purchase for a 200$ MoneyPak, came out blurry, but we'll see.

Sucker

I thought all GreenDot vendors were strict about not allowing MoneyPak purchases with credit card. Does this work at all 7/11's near you or did you have to shop around?

Not trying to be a dumbass, just genuinely curious.

It's pretty hard to find a place that takes credit cards or MoneyPaks, I had to shop around a bit.

On my first store punch it said value has a max limit of $20, not much benefit to buying $200 moneypaks or $500 visa gift cards.

Start collecting receipts from trash cans.

no way this business model is sustainable, it will go bankrupt after it burns through all the ventual capital money.

Did you say "ventual capital money? " Sounds like you really know what you are talking about.

I can see you have been down this road many times before.

Some limitations:

-Receipts must be less than 5 days old. No go on my stack of old Lowes receipts from August.
-Only one punch per day, so it will take at least 10 days before you're eligible for payout.

Don't know any more than the rest of you, but my guess would be that the every 10th purchase free anywhere offer will be around for a very limited time. Their research probably tells them that they have at least a few months before most users hit that 10th purchase, with the assumption that this will be enough time to bridge the gap to whatever their real model is.

Will be interesting to see how they respond to a large percentage of FW members who are trying to cash out a couple times a week!

I'm gonna try it. I shop at CVS almost every single day!

THey use foursquare, so in theory you can get a fictional business listed and make your own receipts to submit.

Does this work on gas stations?

roadwarrior313 said:   Does this work on gas stations?
I believe so, as long as the gas station appears in the Punchcard app. As a reminder, as stated in the original post and in the app, the maximum payout for each 10th visit to a business is $20.

ryangoldstein said:   roadwarrior313 said:   Does this work on gas stations?
I believe so, as long as the gas station appears in the Punchcard app. As a reminder, as stated in the original post and in the app, the maximum payout for each 10th visit to a business is $20.

So let me get this straight. I can pump gas for $20 dollars x 10 times at Mobil and I will get $20 back from this business. Then I can pump gas for $20 at Shell gas x 10 times and get $20 back from this business. etc.... This will be 15% CashBack on gas using the pendfed 5% gas Cash Back card.

diljs said:   Some limitations:

-Receipts must be less than 5 days old. No go on my stack of old Lowes receipts from August.
-Only one punch per day, so it will take at least 10 days before you're eligible for payout.

Only one punch per day, but do all your receipts have to be from different days? If so, my plan to tell the inside gas station clerk I "need a reprint from pump 1" isn't going to be too easy.

roadwarrior313 said:   ryangoldstein said:   roadwarrior313 said:   Does this work on gas stations?

So let me get this straight. I can pump gas for $20 dollars x 10 times at Mobil and I will get $20 back from this business. Then I can pump gas for $20 at Shell gas x 10 times and get $20 back from this business. etc.... This will be 15% CashBack on gas using the pendfed 5% gas Cash Back card.

Their rules state that only one punch per day is permitted. Theoretically, filling up $20 per day should work, but not multiple times in one day.

Filling up $20 at one gas station, then $20 at a different one (different company) on the same day should also work, at least according to my interpretation of their rules.

ryangoldstein said:   roadwarrior313 said:   ryangoldstein said:   roadwarrior313 said:   Does this work on gas stations?

Their rules state that only one punch per day is permitted. Theoretically, filling up $20 per day should work, but not multiple times in one day.

That is fine. I don't use $20 worth of gas in a day.

The app says "card expires in 6 months". Does that mean you have to get 10 punches within six months, or does that mean it expires after six months of inactivity (i.e., the 6 months resets after every punch)? I only get gas once a month, so it doesn't make sense for me to even bother with gas if I have to get 10 punches within 6 months.

Skipping 73 Messages...
Those resturaunt.com vouchers are so cheap they are literally given away.
I saw a sale where you get a $50 (i think) one for $4.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014