• filter:
  • 1 23458
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I recently applied for and received a business AMEX gold card for both my wife and myself. The reward is 75,000 membership reward points after the 10K spend. Hence, I should end up with 170,000 membership reward points in total once the deal runs its course ((75k x 2) + (10k x 2)).

I'd appreciate your input on the best way to use those points. I have a daughter in grad school and I would like to convert as many points as possible to cash to provide her with tuition support. I've thought a bit about the numerous opportunities to sell points but that seems risky at best.

I apologize if this topic has been covered extensively before. What is the best way to maximize the amount of cash received for 170,000 membership reward points?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
No one has answered that questions since the major AMEX changes a couple months back.  The process completely changed an... (more)

nic3456 (Oct. 10, 2014 @ 8:34a) |

Since you aren't a new member I'll answer it.

Nothing has changed on the BUYER's side.  Lots have changed on the Sellers ... (more)

forbin4040 (Oct. 10, 2014 @ 12:06p) |

Do y'all fly so little that you can't easily spend your Amex points on awards at a reasonable valuation? Or do you manuf... (more)

TravelerMSY (Oct. 10, 2014 @ 4:02p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I am in the same boat. If you like you can try 40% british airways avios / miles option. it is ending around end of Sep.

rated:
It's not cashing out per se, but the highest value redemption option at this time, I feel, is to convert to BA for the bonus. This is especially effective if you live in an AA city, like Miami, Chicago, Dallas, etc.

rated:
Home Depot worked pretty well for me last time. Paid for a new fridge. Resell isn't bad on like Plastic Jungle either.

rated:
You're not going to do much better (if better at all) than 1 cent per point for cash/gift card options.

My personal favorite is to convert to Singapore airlines KrisFlyer, then redeem on United (star alliance partner) - 60k KrisFlyer miles gets first class United ticket anywhere in US to Hawaii. (for me that's a $2000-2500 ticket, or 3-4 cpp). That's not a great option for folks that want cash tho.

edit: I stink at math, corrected the cpp value

rated:
AA flights via BA redemption is terrible.

I still have 75k of 100k BA miles left from a promo 2+ years ago.

Finding an open seat on AA via BA redemption is nearly impossible.

centrifuge41 said:   It's not cashing out per se, but the highest value redemption option at this time, I feel, is to convert to BA for the bonus. This is especially effective if you live in an AA city, like Miami, Chicago, Dallas, etc.

rated:
vegas4x4 said:   AA flights via BA redemption is terrible.

I still have 75k of 100k BA miles left from a promo 2+ years ago.
There has to be MilesAAver availability for it to work. And for the price to be right, it has to be direct. That's why living by LAX, MIA, ORD, DFW, etc (or needing to go to those places) is key.

rated:
Home Depot gift cards. IN addition to home improvement items (obviously) HD is also good for cleaning supplies and other household items.

If you have to have cash, let your friends and family know that you're doing a fundraiser for your college-bound daughter and are selling $100 HD gift cards for $95. You'll sell out quickly.

rated:
I've been stuck in this same situation a few times. While flights are probably the best deal, I've found that selling them via rewards2cash (.com) is a way better redemption rate than gift cards and for far less hassle. I've had 2 successful transactions with them in the past (for a total of ~150k points) and am currently waiting to get the check for a third (will keep the thread updated). I was cautious and skeptical at first but have been impressed so far.

rated:
I have seen plenty of flights with MilesAAver awards available, but still cannot be redeemed with BA awards. The BA awards seem even more restrictive than the MilesAAver. This changed some point in the past, if you google it you'll see other people complaining about the same issue.

centrifuge41 said:   vegas4x4 said:   AA flights via BA redemption is terrible.

I still have 75k of 100k BA miles left from a promo 2+ years ago.
There has to be MilesAAver availability for it to work. And for the price to be right, it has to be direct. That's why living by LAX, MIA, ORD, DFW, etc (or needing to go to those places) is key.

rated:
mindbowels said:   I've been stuck in this same situation a few times. While flights are probably the best deal, I've found that selling them via rewards2cash (.com) is a way better redemption rate than gift cards and for far less hassle. I've had 2 successful transactions with them in the past (for a total of ~150k points) and am currently waiting to get the check for a third (will keep the thread updated). I was cautious and skeptical at first but have been impressed so far.

Anyone else use this website? I have a ton of Delta Skypesos leftover from last year's AMEX point gifting frenzy and 50% transfer to Delta bump (of course was a couple of days too late to convert to AMEX gift cards at preferable rates) and it looks like penny a point redemptions for those on the site. Not sure how they can afford to do that.

rated:
I do know of a better way (see similar thread about Chase points), but would rather keep it private. Feel free to PM me.

rated:
wait till holidays AMEX had promos almost every week on facebook. I picked up 1/2 off cheesecake factory giftcards 2500pts for $50 also they had opentable AMEX giftcards which worked at most restaurants that took AMEX think it was 6700 points per 100. The ba offer is great but only if you have plans on using them. Never know when BA will change redemptions

rated:
mindbowels said:   I've been stuck in this same situation a few times. While flights are probably the best deal, I've found that selling them via rewards2cash (.com) is a way better redemption rate than gift cards and for far less hassle. I've had 2 successful transactions with them in the past (for a total of ~150k points) and am currently waiting to get the check for a third (will keep the thread updated). I was cautious and skeptical at first but have been impressed so far.

Thanks for letting us know about this site.. i just checked it out and its pretty cool.. I used to think Chase used to give the best return for their points, but this beats even chase..

rated:
centrifuge41 said:   It's not cashing out per se, but the highest value redemption option at this time, I feel, is to convert to BA for the bonus. This is especially effective if you live in an AA city, like Miami, Chicago, Dallas, etc.

From my experience you can't book AA's anytime fares with BA points. Which means even if you're willing to spend double miles for the same seat, you still can't do it.

rated:
This is one of my sock drawer cards, have about 850 points and am open to redeem. Thanks for this thread OP.

rated:
BA Avios points are amazing for short hops, not long ones... Have been very valuable hopping around South America... 9000 points round trip from Lima to Cusco for Machu Picchu is a great redemption...

rated:
cheapdad00 said:   mindbowels said:   I've been stuck in this same situation a few times. While flights are probably the best deal, I've found that selling them via rewards2cash (.com) is a way better redemption rate than gift cards and for far less hassle. I've had 2 successful transactions with them in the past (for a total of ~150k points) and am currently waiting to get the check for a third (will keep the thread updated). I was cautious and skeptical at first but have been impressed so far.

Anyone else use this website? I have a ton of Delta Skypesos leftover from last year's AMEX point gifting frenzy and 50% transfer to Delta bump (of course was a couple of days too late to convert to AMEX gift cards at preferable rates) and it looks like penny a point redemptions for those on the site. Not sure how they can afford to do that.
I'm also curious how this is a viable business model. Which is why I don't trust it.

rated:
+1 to BA for flights within the first mileage band in Coach. For example, MSY-DFW is only 9k Avios r/t. Where else can you get 10 roundtrips for 100k miles?

rated:
I don't want to come off as an extreme rewards2cash apologist but in terms of business model, I've got to assume they are acting as travel agents. (Buy 100k BA or something points for $1000 and then sell that first class ticket for $2000.)

And like other points have mentioned, some BA points are definitely worth holding on to for short haul (or west coast to hawaii) flights.

rated:
centrifuge41 said:   It's not cashing out per se, but the highest value redemption option at this time, I feel, is to convert to BA for the bonus. This is especially effective if you live in an AA city, like Miami, Chicago, Dallas, etc.

BA has huge fuel surcharges on "FREE" tickets. Have you ever used your BA points/miles? They also charge alot more for redemptions. The fuel surcharges are on US-Europe flights. If you can book AA domestic with those miles that might be ok.

rated:
Correct. You don't want to redeem BA Avios for BA metal due to insane fuel surcharges. You want to redeem for direct flight shorter distance availability on AA MilesAAver, on LAN, etc. You can only redeem for partners at the lowest mile tier. Ironic, but true.

If you want to learn about maximizing BA Avios, read up on The Points Guy. This includes the links below the Conclusion.

rated:
robertw477 said:   centrifuge41 said:   It's not cashing out per se, but the highest value redemption option at this time, I feel, is to convert to BA for the bonus. This is especially effective if you live in an AA city, like Miami, Chicago, Dallas, etc.

BA has huge fuel surcharges on "FREE" tickets. Have you ever used your BA points/miles? They also charge alot more for redemptions. The fuel surcharges are on US-Europe flights. If you can book AA domestic with those miles that might be ok.


Have you ever tried calling BA and redeeming miles on aer lingus flights from Boston to Dublin?
No fuel surcharges.
There are other ways around it.you just have to do some homework.

rated:
Last time posting in this thread... just wanted to update that yes, did receive the check mentioned earlier from rewards2cash. That makes 3 transactions over the last 6 months without any issues.

rated:
Thanks for the confirmation.

I would pay slightly more than they do at times when I need the points/miles, and I know a few other FWF members who would as well.

rated:
mindbowels said:   I don't want to come off as an extreme rewards2cash apologist but in terms of business model, I've got to assume they are acting as travel agents. (Buy 100k BA or something points for $1000 and then sell that first class ticket for $2000.)

And like other points have mentioned, some BA points are definitely worth holding on to for short haul (or west coast to hawaii) flights.

Just learnt about rewards2cash site. Is it for real ? Kinda sounds too good to be true. For those who tried, how is it all happening ? Do you just transfer points to some personal account they give you ?
How much of your personal info you need to give up ? Do the card issuers / airlines even know about this going on ?
I get that this type of deals might work OK on some personal one time basis, but if it gains popularity, won't they come after you, like closing you down / taking away all the remaining points ?

This site also lists some other tempting offers like 1.20 cent per AA mile, etc. But doesn't it cost like 1.5 cent per mile to transfer miles to somebody else ? Or, do you end up booking a flight for another person ? Sounds kinda risky from AA T&C point of view ...

rated:
You need to give them your user name and password for the frequent flyer miles and they book the flights right from your account. They pay you once the flights are booked.

rated:
Thrilla said:   You need to give them your user name and password for the frequent flyer miles and they book the flights right from your account. They pay you once the flights are booked.

What about AMEX points ?

By the way, this whole deal sounds completely illegal to me. Not that I am necessary against it , like I said, it may work OK on person-to-person level, but having this exposed to the complete strangers through unknown middle man ... If airline figures this out (say, someone turns you/them in), you are going to be on the hook.

rated:
Huh? You do not need to give anyone any passwords. You can transfer points to THEIR frequent flyer accounts.

rated:
EugeneV said:   Huh? You do not need to give anyone any passwords. You can transfer points to THEIR frequent flyer accounts.

I think, they need it for AA or similar programs (they charge a lot for transfer).

rated:
nik12ia said:   EugeneV said:   Huh? You do not need to give anyone any passwords. You can transfer points to THEIR frequent flyer accounts.

I think, they need it for AA or similar programs (they charge a lot for transfer).


You can't transfer AMEX MR to AA.
unless A = Aeromexico

rated:
imbatman said:   nik12ia said:   EugeneV said:   Huh? You do not need to give anyone any passwords. You can transfer points to THEIR frequent flyer accounts.

I think, they need it for AA or similar programs (they charge a lot for transfer).


You can't transfer AMEX MR to AA.
unless A = Aeromexico


It's about transferring AA to somebody else ...

rated:
nik12ia said:   imbatman said:   nik12ia said:   EugeneV said:   Huh? You do not need to give anyone any passwords. You can transfer points to THEIR frequent flyer accounts.

I think, they need it for AA or similar programs (they charge a lot for transfer).


You can't transfer AMEX MR to AA.
unless A = Aeromexico


It's about transferring AA to somebody else ...


Oh.
in that case.
Off topic.

rated:
EugeneV said:   Huh? You do not need to give anyone any passwords. You can transfer points to THEIR frequent flyer accounts.

Rewards2Cash said: First of all congratulations to you for getting more cash out of your rewards points, and thank you for visiting and trusting Rewards2Cash.com.

UA miles are actually not transferable as worldpoints, Chase rewards or AMEX membership rewards, so the way it works is that we need to access your account to book flights. Please change your password to an easy one, and let us know your account number and password so that we can access it. we respect your privacy and won't use or change your personal info in the account(expect that few times we change email address in the account temporarily to avoid too many itineraries harassing you). Half of the payment will be made once we have access to the miles account, and the rest will be paid after miles are used which is estimated at 2-4 weeks. Please keep in mind that rewards2cash is trustable proven by 0 issues in past 12000000 points.

We totally understand it if you feel uncomfortable with that. In this case it's totally fine to inform us to cancel the order. Please kindly let us know which way to proceed.


Got the above message when I tried Mileageplus. Got the same message for AA.

rated:
Thrilla said:   EugeneV said:   Huh? You do not need to give anyone any passwords. You can transfer points to THEIR frequent flyer accounts.

Rewards2Cash said: First of all congratulations to you for getting more cash out of your rewards points, and thank you for visiting and trusting Rewards2Cash.com.

UA miles are actually not transferable as worldpoints, Chase rewards or AMEX membership rewards, so the way it works is that we need to access your account to book flights. Please change your password to an easy one, and let us know your account number and password so that we can access it. we respect your privacy and won't use or change your personal info in the account(expect that few times we change email address in the account temporarily to avoid too many itineraries harassing you). Half of the payment will be made once we have access to the miles account, and the rest will be paid after miles are used which is estimated at 2-4 weeks. Please keep in mind that rewards2cash is trustable proven by 0 issues in past 12000000 points.

We totally understand it if you feel uncomfortable with that. In this case it's totally fine to inform us to cancel the order. Please kindly let us know which way to proceed.


Got the above message when I tried Mileageplus. Got the same message for AA.


I got similar response from them. Wow, amazing, how they managed to keep it going for so long (at least, a few months) and not get caught.
Interesting, why don't they just ask you to book the flight (with the required name, details) and send it to the specific e-mail address ?
They can easily confirm with the airline that the reservation is OK and exactly what they need and then send you the payment. I don't feel they tell the full story here ...
I am sure not giving them any passwords

Funny detail from their FAQ page:


Bottom line is, the issuer of these rewards are huge financial companies who can protect your rewards well -- if Rewards2Cash (.com) doesn't pay you cash for the rewards you transferred (this is just assumption; it won't happen), you may complain at issuer which means big trouble for Rewards2Cash (.com).


Right, go ahead and tell them what you've done. I don't think, it is only Rewards2Cash who is going to be in trouble.

rated:
In that case we are still discussing off topic, as AMEX MR do not transfer to UA or AA. Personally, I would not give access to my frequent flyer account to a stranger, but please let's stick to MR.

rated:
Does rewards2cash work for AMEX business gold card? I am in the same position as the OP but when I was looking on their site it says points from business cards are not accepted because they do not transfer. Does anyone have any experience with rewards2cash using specifically an AMEX business card?

rated:
apollo2203 said:   Does rewards2cash work for AMEX business gold card? I am in the same position as the OP but when I was looking on their site it says points from business cards are not accepted because they do not transfer. Does anyone have any experience with rewards2cash using specifically an AMEX business card?Their site says that this only affects "a few business cards". I don't think they are talking about the business gold since it earns regular Membership Reward points which should be transferable.

rated:
It does work with AMEX Business Gold card... I did this after spending 10k on the card. Cashed out the 85k points for ~$1050... super easy transaction, definitely the best way to redeem these points.

Skipping 267 Messages...
rated:
Do y'all fly so little that you can't easily spend your Amex points on awards at a reasonable valuation? Or do you manufacture them in such size that you have more than you'll ever spend?

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014