• 1891011 12
  • Page
  • Text Only
hope you bought the no fee GC du jour

for opening a new checking account needing a direct deposit, if I x-fer $500 from say Capital1360 to Citizens, would that count (push)?
found my own answer here http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/432086/
sweet!

Just following up, I'm happy to report that my day 110 purchases still gave me 10%. I didn't attempt anything after day 110. Best wishes to everybody still participating.

dbl118 said:   Just following up, I'm happy to report that my day 110 purchases still gave me 10%. I didn't attempt anything after day 110. Best wishes to everybody still participating.

Why not? Go for it until you stop seeing 10% bonuses. You would only lose small amount of churn related fees if you didn't get the bonus but you would GAIN 10% if you did!

KYBOSH said:   dbl118 said:   Just following up, I'm happy to report that my day 110 purchases still gave me 10%. I didn't attempt anything after day 110. Best wishes to everybody still participating.

Why not? Go for it until you stop seeing 10% bonuses. You would only lose small amount of churn related fees if you didn't get the bonus but you would GAIN 10% if you did!

He's already well past the theoretical 3 year cap, as well.

KYBOSH said:   dbl118 said:   Just following up, I'm happy to report that my day 110 purchases still gave me 10%. I didn't attempt anything after day 110. Best wishes to everybody still participating.

If I was around on day 111, I might have tried $500 as an experiment, but I've been off the grid for a while, and it's now day 115, and I haven't even restored my credit line. Somebody else can do that experiment...

I called in to verify what day my promotion ends (it's this Wednesday). They also noted the transaction must occur by Wednesday, but can post later in the week.

Data point: My 110 day mark was 07/31. I got 10% for a 07/30 purchase and only 1% for an 08/03 purchase. So, the 110 day cut-off is pretty accurate, IMO. All told, I grossed $1205 with my measly $500 CL... a tad better than my initial projection. It was still very much worth the time and effort to me.

s3riously said:   Data point: My 110 day mark was 07/31. I got 10% for a 07/30 purchase and only 1% for an 08/03 purchase. So, the 110 day cut-off is pretty accurate, IMO. All told, I grossed $1205 with my measly $500 CL... a tad better than my initial projection. It was still very much worth the time and effort to me.

So you did your CL about 60 times in 110 days? I'm impressed.

jewsus said:   s3riously said:   Data point: My 110 day mark was 07/31. I got 10% for a 07/30 purchase and only 1% for an 08/03 purchase. So, the 110 day cut-off is pretty accurate, IMO. All told, I grossed $1205 with my measly $500 CL... a tad better than my initial projection. It was still very much worth the time and effort to me.

Your math is off.

dbl118 said:   jewsus said:   s3riously said:   Data point: My 110 day mark was 07/31. I got 10% for a 07/30 purchase and only 1% for an 08/03 purchase. So, the 110 day cut-off is pretty accurate, IMO. All told, I grossed $1205 with my measly $500 CL... a tad better than my initial projection. It was still very much worth the time and effort to me.

Your math is off.

Correct. I did my CL about 24 times. I only missed a couple days of available credit, throughout. Towards the end I relied on Constant Velocity Services for convenience, which we know takes an extra day or so to post, compared to other merchants.

the max possible (i think) is 2 X CL per week, or 30 times total in 110 days. In his case he did 24X limit which is pretty close to max.

theeipi said:   the max possible (i think) is 2 X CL per week, or 30 times total in 110 days. In his case he did 24X limit which is pretty close to max.

Our posts were virtually simultaneous lol

dbl118 said:   jewsus said:   s3riously said:   Data point: My 110 day mark was 07/31. I got 10% for a 07/30 purchase and only 1% for an 08/03 purchase. So, the 110 day cut-off is pretty accurate, IMO. All told, I grossed $1205 with my measly $500 CL... a tad better than my initial projection. It was still very much worth the time and effort to me.

Your math is off.

You're absolutely right. I was using an assumption of 4% return (I currently have the 5% card). Completely forgot you guys have that beautiful 10%er.

theeipi said:   the max possible (i think) is 2 X CL per week, or 30 times total in 110 days. In his case he did 24X limit which is pretty close to max.

Max is 5 x CL per two weeks. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Tuesday, Thursday...repeat.

only if the charges post that fast. my charges always took 3 days to post.

theeipi said:   only if the charges post that fast. my charges always took 3 days to post.

That depends on what store you use. Presumably if you were working with a limited credit line you'd want to focus exclusively on stores that post the next day... Rite-Aid and Walgreen did for me.

so now i got the checking acct, and will make $150 off it. is there a way to bait the targetted offer? I turned on paper billing...

rismoney said:   so now i got the checking acct, and will make $150 off it. is there a way to bait the targetted offer? I turned on paper billing...

When you opened the account, did they do a hard pull?

I was told (twice) my promotion ended Aug 7th. But it looks like it either I was told wrong or they did bad math.

Net-net - I bought 221 $500 gift cards (~111,372.95), plus other things - and have made $10,422.19 in rewards.
I should have made $11,199.60 in rewards
I'll be talking with Citizens once the month ends on why our math doesn't match.

But all in all, it was a great summer!

camiolo said:   I was told (twice) my promotion ended Aug 7th. But it looks like it either I was told wrong or they did bad math.

Net-net - I bought 221 $500 gift cards (~111,372.95), plus other things - and have made $10,422.19 in rewards.
I'll be talking with Citizens once the month ends on why our math doesn't match.

The mismatch is about $600 + some recent purchases that have not posted (yet included into your spend total) ... did you account for 2x $300 checks you've already received?

$175 bonus offer
Disclaimer

$175 bonus details
Disclaimer
rismoney said:   so now i got the checking acct, and will make $150 off it. is there a way to bait the targetted offer? I turned on paper billing...

When I visit their page there is a popup for $175 bonus. Has been there for quite some time. Still there as of today.

camiolo said:   I was told (twice) my promotion ended Aug 7th. But it looks like it either I was told wrong or they did bad math.

Just let it go. There is no need to bring extra attention to what's going on.

Remember you have not received all the rewards yet. Why would you bring yourself any unwanted attention and risk it?

Can anyone confirm if the 10% CB is still available? I read about the 5% CB a few weeks ago. Has anyone had any luck opening a checking account if they reside outside the business area? I am in DC but my parents live in upstate NY near Citizen's banks. Could I apply in branch with an out of state license next time I go to visit? Any PM's would be greatly appreciated

I moved internationally, and left a U.S. address on my Citizens account to continue to receive the monthly rebates. Can someone help me and tell me whether the checks have the "cash within 90 days" language on them? Also, anyone sign up to receive these checks internationally? Do they say only valid in the U.S.? I haven't been daring enough to try and can't remember exactly what was printed on them.

I just received a check. It says "expires February 6, 2014".

Today is day #110 for my 5% card and I see transactions posted 2 days ago didn't earn the 5% so I am stopping with my full CL open. The two week vacation in Bora Bora turned out to be very costly. My 5% card and spouse's 10% card sat idle for 14 days. To make the matters worse right before I returning home I started pushing large payments from citizen's checking to the CC and for some reason anything large than 5K caused 8 day holding. Thanks OP for the opportunity and now looking for more rounds of excitement.

Ah, this one was particularly sweet for me, since they messed up a checking account for me two years, closed it out and made me run all over town to figure out what happened. But, for some reason, they kept me on their mailing list and targeted me for this promo.

$84K of spend (but only 104 days, sadly) later, I've hit the end. It was good while it lasted and I have my annuity for the next 25 months.

I got very lucky on this one. The first couple of purchases generated calls from Citizens's fraud department. I told the second guy that I talked to that I would be making a lot of purchases at pharmacies. I'm sure he thought I was buying expensive drugs or something, so he raised the amount that would trigger a call from fraud. I never heard from them again. Likewise, I have five CVS's in a few blocks radius from my office, so there was a steady supply of reloads.

The one problem is that Citizens is entirely bass-ackwards. I'm convinced that they keep track of purchases on an excel spreadsheet. There was no rhyme or reason as to when purchases or payments would show up, even though the payments were being transferred from my Citizens bank account. Fortunately, I was anal about my spreadsheet, so I always had a running total of how much I had spent and what my credit line situation was. Good thing, too, since I had no intention of calling them and potentially alerting a CSR to my spending patterns.

Mike

FYI - They give a small balance credit of $0.99.

I did an in-branch cash payment for the first time on 9/12.  The payment posted 9/13 but the credit still hasn't freed up.  A hold on even cash payments!  

I guess I'll stick to online transfers which I never saw a hold.  I was just trying to time it a little better since you have to wait days for purchases to post (have a balance) before you can initiate the online transfer.

My available credit has been on hold for over 5 days since payment posted.

Avoid large payments (online transfer or cash pay in branch). The system seemed to automatically hold the limit if payments are large. So instead of one 8K payment do 4K twice in two days.

My 4k payment posted but took 10 days for credit limit to increase back, all other 2k and 1k payments posted and credit limit reverted in 2 days.

I opened a Charter One account in April when they were running the checking promo. Used AP that showed up as a direct deposit, and did the bill pay transactions. Should have gotten $150 ($50 for DD, $50 for Billpay, and $50 bonus for doing both), only got $50 from them for the promotion.

Guys, just checking in.  What is your plan for this card as you wait for all of your $300 checks to come in.  You planning to make any purchases?  Anybody planning to close out bank account?  I assume it might make sense to make a purchase now and then to keep this account active.

dbl118 said:   Guys, just checking in.  What is your plan for this card as you wait for all of your $300 checks to come in.  You planning to make any purchases?  Anybody planning to close out bank account?  I assume it might make sense to make a purchase now and then to keep this account active.
  Actually switched to using Citizens as my Primary bank.  Was getting tired of BOA anyway - and the branches here have great hours.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014