• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just received a new Serve card in the mail, didn't request it. I called and verified/activated it over the phone. Logged online and added $25.

Stated on the flyer..."we noticed that you haven't been using your Serve account, so we've sent you a new Serve prepaid card from American Express.

Get $25 when you add $25. Get $25 account credit when you add $25 or more to your existing account through December 31, 2012.

Offer only valid for solicited AMEX Prepaid Cardmembers. Must post to your existing Serve account on or before Dec 31, 2012. Person-to-person will not satisfy the account funding requirements."

**Started this thread minutes after adding my $25. When I submitted this post, checked my Serve iPhone app and already have the $25 matched, showing $50 available balance.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
From the Serve FAQ:

How much money can I add, send, or request each month?
You can add up to $1,000 per day via an ACH tra... (more)

idfubar (Dec. 24, 2012 @ 1:37p) |

Such a deal! Thanks!!!

equinoxrox (Dec. 31, 2012 @ 1:09p) |

What CC's are considered as purchase and not cash advances a source of funding on Serve?

I have PENFED, DISCOVER, CHASE, ... (more)

fattywallace (Dec. 31, 2012 @ 7:05p) |

Does this apply to all existing AMEX Serve account holders -- adding $25 and getting a matched $25 right away? That simple?

OP - please add "Targeted" to title.

Obviously it's for idle accounts, us active users are excluded - can't complain through, Serve had been good to us recently.

i have an account that's never used but didn't get the offer.

Didn't get the flyer either. Maybe tomorrow is my lucky day.

Mailing with new ATM card arrived today. Added $25 to get $25 bonus.

I got the offer today in CA. The back of the promo insert says offer valid in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Florida, Houston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St Paul, NYC tri state area, northern California, Philadelphia and Phoenix.

I don't live in any of those areas buy still received the offer. The fine print also says that the offer is only valid for solicited members.

tjguitar85 said:   I got the offer today in CA. The back of the promo insert says offer valid in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Florida, Houston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St Paul, NYC tri state area, northern California, Philadelphia and Phoenix.
Kind of odd that it's a list of cities, and ALL of Florida?

Wife got offer, but I did not.

Difference may be my account had been canceled, but not hers.

Wonder if I open a new account I would get such an offer. Perhaps she should send me a little money and then I open an account to receive it. They might be tempted to send me such an offer to get me to actually become a user. However, just opening an account can be a hassle.

Transfered $25 from bank account to Serve. $50 was deposited. $50 withdrawn to bank account.

Got one of these in the mail today, so they're still sending them out. Watch your mail.

I noticed one peculiarity in using my new Serve, which I do not remember from earlier.

In adding a credit card they offer you a choice as to whether to use this as a backup funding source, and if so with what limit.
Since I could not initially think of how this might be used, and could imagine it being a security risk. A card which you thought had only a little money on it could be used for much more than one on it. In fact this might defeat on of the reasons for using it, being able to give it to a teen and knowing he could not spend more than what you had put on it, or leaving in the car or on your person with a small sum for emergencies. Thus, I initially did not mark it as usable for back up. When I tried to send money using a credit card it would not accept it.

It turns out that if you intend for the money sent to be charged to a credit card, you must designate it as usable for backup funding. Then it became possible to use it to send the usual small amounts.

There may be one or two cases where this feature could be useful. You want to use x card (possibly one with a large limit)to pay for something, but do not want to give out the number (and lack virtual numbers). You could use the Serve with a low limit, and avoid having it used for larger amounts. After the one time use, you remove the backup funding and anyone who stole the Serve information can not use it to steal money.

For instance, this might be done with a teen or college student going on a trip. He has a card he can use (and you can even raise the limit if needed if he calls in with an emergency), but their or limits to what he can spend.

You might do this when traveling a high crime country. The Serve is stolen, or taken at gunpoint. You have lost only the upper limit of backup funding,or the small amount on the card. You could quickly cancel the card, or reduce the limit when you could reach a phone or computer.

Of course, other cards can be canceled also, but that may leave you without use of the card until you get a replacement. This way, you still have your credit card to use (which may be in the safe in the hotel or secured in a money belt, etc.)

I opened an account a couple of months ago, foolishly did not get any bonus for signing up. I think I've gotten a mailing from them but did not have any $25 offer on it. Has anyone tried to get them to offer it to you by asking? I still don't have anything on the card.

billrubin said:   I opened an account a couple of months ago, foolishly did not get any bonus for signing up. I think I've gotten a mailing from them but did not have any $25 offer on it. Has anyone tried to get them to offer it to you by asking? I still don't have anything on the card.

I opened an account for myself and funded it with a credit card for $100 (even though I only needed to fund it with $25 but I wanted the credit card loyalty points -- $100 is the daily add funds limit with a credit card) and the bonus posted automatically in minutes. I then opened an account for my wife and funded with $25 with a debit card and no $25 bonus posted. I called customer service and they posted the bonus manually. I just now opened yet another account for my mother and funded $25 using a checking account and the bonus did not get posted automatically and neither did the $25 in added funds. I think when you fund by a checking account it takes a few days to process. So if I don't get the bonus for my mother's account in a few days I will call and get it manually credited like I did for my wife. This promotion is not limited to one per household, but rather one per person. The important thing is that when you open tha account you open it by clicking on the promo link: https://serve.com/load25/

Does anyone know if at the end of the year we have to pay taxes on these bonuses? I would assume so.

P.S. The credit card add funds fee has been waived until March 2013, however some banks may treat it as a cash advance. I called Serve.com and they said it would go through not as a cash advance but as a point of sale purchase. In case you are wondering, when you fund using a credit card the authorization goes through as "SERVE VIRTUAL ENT INC." I used an American Express Hilton Hhonors card to fund my account. When the charge goes through I will let you know if I was hit for a cash advance fee or not.

P.P.S. When you call to have the $25 added to your account for the bonus if it doesn't posts automatically, they do ask you where you got the URL from. If indeed this is a targeted offer YMMV on getting them to credit you the $25 bonus.

speedbird71 said:   Transfered $25 from bank account to Serve. $50 was deposited. $50 withdrawn to bank account.

How long did it take for your funds to be credited to your Serve account when funding from a bank account? the next day? When did your bonus get credited? My funding from a bank account shows pending. I just funded the account about an hour ago. I think the funds most likely will become available tomorrow when the transaction is presented to my bank. Hopefully, they will automatically add the $25 bonus at that time, too.

MrVietnam said:   Does anyone know if at the end of the year we have to pay taxes on these bonuses? I would assume so.Credit card bonuses are typically not taxable. Only bank account bonuses are. I would think that this is closer to a credit card than a bank account.

Just loaded $25; thanks OP!

speedbird71 said:   Transfered $25 from bank account to Serve. $50 was deposited. $50 withdrawn to bank account.

Sorry for the dumb question but how did you withdraw finds to your bank account? I can't find anywhere on the serve.com website to transfer back to the linked bank account.

brushwood said:   speedbird71 said:   Transfered $25 from bank account to Serve. $50 was deposited. $50 withdrawn to bank account.

Sorry for the dumb question but how did you withdraw finds to your bank account? I can't find anywhere on the serve.com website to transfer back to the linked bank account.

I'd like to know that too. Anybody know?

brushwood said:   

Click Withdraw under balance in the "my account" window, then select transfer funds to bank account.

Edit: follow this link after you are logged in if you can't find it: https://secure.serve.com/Actions/WithdrawMoney

Does AMEX charge any fees (like cash advance) if we fund serve accout using AMEX credit card. Is it safe to link a bank account to this?

makemoney06 said:   Does AMEX charge any fees (like cash advance) if we fund serve accout using AMEX credit card. Is it safe to link a bank account to this?

Terms say it may or may not be treated as a cash advance. I have only funded with debit card so do not know if AMEX charges CA fee or not.
As far as bring safe to link a bank account... Well, it is American Express so it is as safe as you trust American Express. It is no more or less safe than giving any financial institution your bank account info.
You may want to make sure the feature is disabled that will automatically pull more money from your linked accounts if you try and make a charge over your available balance.

makemoney06 said:   Does AMEX charge any fees (like cash advance) if we fund serve accout using AMEX credit card. Is it safe to link a bank account to this?

Like i said in an earlier post, I was not charged for adding money to my Serve account twice. Both times using an American Express Hilton Hhonors card.

Just got one of these targeted mailers (along with an email) today -- so they're still coming out.

Got the promo emails for a family member & me on Monday (we don't live in any of the stated areas). Added $25 to my acct right away. Got the new prepaid cards in the mail yesterday. Unable to activate on the website (kept saying invalid PIN), so had to activate both cards over the phone with no problem. Got the email today from Serve that the funds transfer is complete. Logged into the acct, and see the $25 bonus was also added. Very easy!

tjguitar85 said:   I got the offer today in CA. The back of the promo insert says offer valid in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Florida, Houston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St Paul, NYC tri state area, northern California, Philadelphia and Phoenix.That's just for the "Entertainment Access" benefit, not for the $25 offer (notice the number "4" next to the text you quoted, and the "4" after Entertainment Access).

Does anyone know of the daily and monthly limits with funding of a credit card?

Just got the new card with an insert talking about the $25 bonus. As a data point, I live in New Mexico. When I opened this account, I lived in NYC.

Got the offer, spent the money, now I'd like to get a Blue Bird card, so I need to cancel. Do you think I need to wait a while to cancel, or can I do it now?

espressivo said:   Does anyone know of the daily and monthly limits with funding of a credit card?

You can fund with a credit card up to $250 a month, but no more than $100 a day (that is the credit card daily limit). HTH

MrVietnam said:   espressivo said:   Does anyone know of the daily and monthly limits with funding of a credit card?

You can fund with a credit card up to $250 a month, but no more than $100 a day (that is the credit card daily limit). HTH

Yes, thank you. Somehow I thought it was closer to $1000 but I must have been thinking of Amazon Payments.

TexAgg99 said:   Got the offer, spent the money, now I'd like to get a Blue Bird card, so I need to cancel. Do you think I need to wait a while to cancel, or can I do it now?
Isn't this just a regular prepaid card? Once used can just cut up and throw away. Do we really need to cancel this card?

never mind. Wrong thread.

Signup through the web link serve.com/load25... that says $25 bonus. Do I need to wait for some confirmation, or physical card in email with flyer? Or just add money now?

Signed up, added $25, got my $25 bonus in seconds! Thanks OP! Now I guess I just need to wait a couple days to receive my card so I can use it. No problem, it's worth the double-your-money bonus!

There's no fat cash with this deal, right?

Thanks op for the 25$ double up. Very easy. I don't really understand whats the point of this but it would be nice if it became a paypal alternative.

While they don't charge a CC fee you could use this to build up your rewards points for free for the next few months. Just charge, deposit in your bank account, and then pay the bill.

neophyte said:   OP - please add "Targeted" to title.

Obviously it's for idle accounts, us active users are excluded - can't complain through, Serve had been good to us recently.

I did this from Kentucky.

Skipping 12 Messages...
What CC's are considered as purchase and not cash advances a source of funding on Serve?

I have PENFED, DISCOVER, CHASE, CITI among others?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014