• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Signed into Discover.com to make sure I have the 5% Cash Back on Internet purchases starting on Oct 1 2012, and was offered to signup for Discover 2% Cash Back bonus on all purchases made on oct. 6 2012. YMMV.

As always, Greatness is hooking my FWF Peeps up!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Here is my result:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Date... (more)

vagrants (Oct. 10, 2012 @ 12:39p) |

Looks like there is another double Cash Back day scheduled for October 26, 2012. It was on my "front page", but go to "... (more)

vquasarv (Oct. 12, 2012 @ 9:45a) |

The CSR I talked to says they use the EST time zone. I guess Discover is quite lenient about how they determine a 'day'.... (more)

HiLine (Oct. 14, 2012 @ 11:17p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I had the same offer on my account. My guess is that this will stack with the 5% on online purchases and department stores effectively making this 7%.

whats the maximum CashBack limit per quarter you can earn?

pyro123 said:   whats the maximum CashBack limit per quarter you can earn?

The 5% is limited to $75.

Anyone know what the 2% is limited to? It never said signing up for this offer.

I wonder if the 5% for online will work for Amazon. If so might just buy a Amazon giftcard on the 6th to use around x-mas.

Think we can stack the 5% & 2% with Shopdiscover?

Myers215 said:   Think we can stack the 5% & 2% with Shopdiscover?

I just happened to phone in to activate a card I was a authorized user on (their automated system unwisely asks about your last social security digits rather than that of the primary on the card) and ended up with a liver representatives who was knowledgeable.

She mentioned this 2% offer existed but had to be phoned in to get it, rather than appearing on line.

A very similar promotion offered double miles for Miles cards on Oct. 6.

She was able to put it on all 4 cards that were in my name or which I was an authorized used on.

Hence you should phone in if you want it.

She said there was no limit and was explicit that it stacked with the Shop Discover and the 5% for on line purchases, if you had signed up for this (making 13% possible). I asked about gift card and it appears there is no Discover rules but it depends on the store. She checked the fine print for one home improvement store, and they excluded gift cards. Perhaps the fine print on some stores does not exclude gift cards.

As to the send cash feature, she had been given no answer but checked the records and told me I had gotten the benefit of this type of promotion in previous months when I sent cash and she presumed it would be handled the same way with this promotion. Hence, if you are planning to use the send cash feature (up to %500 treated as a purchase), this may be the day to do it.

She also had a 1.9% on purchases for 6 months available and could put it on all of the cards.

However, for the miles cards she could put this promotion on only if I did not accept the offer of an extra thousand miles if I used the card next month (worth about $10). Thinking about our usage pattern I chose the 1.9% on purchases (with send cash payment and use of this offer, several thousand may accumulate on these little used cards). This may call for trying to get the credit line increased on cards with low limits, but this may be worthwhile (especially since it may ordinary usage look like a lower percentage of the limit, and makes it look less bad if you start carrying a balance at 1.9%)

She also explained you qualified for the send cash only if you had made three consecutive payments from the same bank in the last three months (a security feature according to her), something other Discover representatives had not known. The obvious point is to use the cards some, and then make payments when due. I did not go into what happened if you paid when no money was owed, but it is possible that I will make a small payment on a card where I am an authorized user but no money is owed, and then plan on using it on Oct. 6.

She said the reason the Oct. 6 offer was not put up on line was there was not enough time for the required disclosures to be prepared and posted, but that she could read them when customers called in.

The availability of the 5% for only line purchases makes this extra Oct. 6 offer more useful. I would not go out of my way to shop on Oct. 6 just to get 2% on my Discover card (especially since I can get 2% anytime on other cards, and sometimes more at some types of stores). However, it may be worthwhile on that Saturday to log on, send money to someone I wish to send money to, and to make some online purchases I might make in the near future anyhow.

In the extreme case I earn 12% back, plus can finance it at 1.9%, plus I get enough usage to make the card eventually eligible for the "Send Money" feature, plus some usage is generated to reduce the risk of the card being canceled for non-use.

I know some have aid the first rule is to "Never Call", but I suggest to pays to call Discover, since you may discover something you did not know, and qualify for some nice promotions.

This 2% offer was not shown under "Home" tab, but when I went to "Account Profile" (gives you all kinds of sign up/signed up stuffs), it was there and I activated it.

It's now available under the Cash Back Bonus section.

"Get 2% CashBack Bonus

OCT

Camiolo, any purchases you make with your Discover card on Saturday, October 6 earns you extra rewards!"

There is a potential problem with this promotion for online purchases: "These purchases must post to your account on 10/6/12."

c3 said:   There is a potential problem with this promotion for online purchases: "These purchases must post to your account on 10/6/12."

What is the issue?

Most online stores do not charge the credit card until the order is shipped, so the transaction date may not be 10/6.

c3 said:   Most online stores do not charge the credit card until the order is shipped, so the transaction date may not be 10/6.

The ones you are interested might not. In my experience big online stores, they charge you immediately after click "purchase".

Transaction date is not important according to the fine print. MUST BE POSTED. On my account, usually transaction date & posting date are the same, but sometimes there is one day delay.

vagrants said:   In my experience big online stores, they charge you immediately after click "purchase".

Not stores like Amazon and Staples.

If you want to us Amazon buy a gift card , will be charged same day and emailed to you in a few min. Then use it to make your purchase. His works other places like WalMart to.

So Amazon payments would yield 7%, correct? 5 for shopping online, plus 2 for shopping on Saturday.

thanks for the heads up OP.

Thanks OP. How do I redeem this $75? Stashed away my discover after the 0% ended.

I happened to have already done an Amazon Payments payment on a Saturday with a Discover card.

I submitted this at 3:15pm Eastern. Post date of Saturday and POS Mode description of Online. The "original network post date" is Sunday, but the post date column on the statement is Saturday. IMO, it's a go.

07/07/12 07/07/12 Amazon PAYMENTS 866-749-7545 WA
XXXXXXXXXXX $ 950.00 Merchandise

General Transaction Information
Original Network Post Date 07/08/2012
Original Network Trans Date 07/07/2012
Approval Code 00748R
Merchant Name Amazon PAYMENTS
Merchant City Name 866-749-7545
Merchant Zip Code 98102
Partial Shipment Indicator N
Merchant Category Description DIRECT MRKTNG-ALL OTHER DIRECT MRKTRS
Broad Industry Description RETAIL-MAIL/PHONE ORDER
POS Mode Description ONLINE
Recurring Billing Indicator N
Authorized Merchant Name Amazon Payments
Authorized Merchant Street 1200 12TH AVE
Authorized Merchant State Code WA
Authorized Merchant Zip Code 98102

Serve takes a long time to process from the pending status, so maybe send payments on the 4th, 5th and 6th to ensure at least one goes through for the 2%.

SERVE VIRTUAL ENT INC SAINT PETERSBFL
Original Network Post Date 10/03/2012
Original Network Trans Date 10/01/2012
Merchant Category Description BUYING/SHOPPING SERVICES, CLUBS
Broad Industry Description SERVICES-GENERAL

i3ighead said:   Thanks OP. How do I redeem this $75? Stashed away my discover after the 0% ended.

for me, most painless way is to credit this back to credit card.

c3 said:   vagrants said:   In my experience big online stores, they charge you immediately after click "purchase".

Not stores like Amazon and Staples.

On Amazon, are you buying from 3rd party? I don't buy much from Amazon, but they do charge me immediately on my FIA if you get stuffs directly from Amazon.

vagrants said:   On Amazon, are you buying from 3rd party? I don't buy much from Amazon, but they do charge me immediately on my FIA if you get stuffs directly from Amazon.

What happens immediately is just pre-authorization. Actual charge is not processed until the "shipping soon" stage.

c3 said:   vagrants said:   On Amazon, are you buying from 3rd party? I don't buy much from Amazon, but they do charge me immediately on my FIA if you get stuffs directly from Amazon.

What happens immediately is just pre-authorization. Actual charge is not processed until the "shipping soon" stage.

Probably not a good idea to use this card just to get 2% more CashBack then.

c3 said:   There is a potential problem with this promotion for online purchases: "These purchases must post to your account on 10/6/12."
c3 said:   Most online stores do not charge the credit card until the order is shipped, so the transaction date may not be 10/6.
Moreover, 10/6/12 is a Saturday and most credit cards that I have do not post a transaction on weekends. So in a typical scenario, a purchase made on 10/6/12 would have a transaction date of 10/6/12 and a post date of 10/8/12. I wonder if it would be the same for Discover and whether they will award the 2% CashBack for such a purchase.

FutureDilemma said:   Moreover, 10/6/12 is a Saturday and most credit cards that I have do not post a transaction on weekends. So in a typical scenario, a purchase made on 10/6/12 would have a transaction date of 10/6/12 and a post date of 10/8/12. I wonder if it would be the same for Discover and whether they will award the 2% CashBack for such a purchase.If they're going to base it on that, then no one is going to get their 2%. I have to imagine it will be based on the transaction date.

billrubin said:   FutureDilemma said:   Moreover, 10/6/12 is a Saturday and most credit cards that I have do not post a transaction on weekends. So in a typical scenario, a purchase made on 10/6/12 would have a transaction date of 10/6/12 and a post date of 10/8/12. I wonder if it would be the same for Discover and whether they will award the 2% CashBack for such a purchase.If they're going to base it on that, then no one is going to get their 2%. I have to imagine it will be based on the transaction date.

According to the fine print, no.

I put in a bunch of orders at 10 pm on Oct 6. It shows up immediately as Pending when I logged into my CC account, and still no change after 12 am. Wonder if I'll get that bonus.

As you as you purchase before 12:00 AM in your own time zone u get 2%. Discover has good customer service, just write to them if you don't

mmyk72 said:   I put in a bunch of orders at 10 pm on Oct 6. It shows up immediately as Pending when I logged into my CC account, and still no change after 12 am. Wonder if I'll get that bonus.

On my account, it takes a couple of day for the transactions to come out of Pending. Although transactions are sat in the Pending for a couple of day, transaction date & posting date are the same when they come out of the Pending on many. But, I've seen there were 1 - 2 day delays in the transaction & posting dates time to time. Just wait and see.

Purchased a stuff online from Lowe's for store pick up on 6th. Finally came out of Pending today:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trans Date: 10/06/12
Post Date: 10/06/12 Click Description to Show Details Lowe's OF ***** $ 42.67 Home Improvement

General Transaction Information
Original Network Post Date 10/07/2012
Original Network Trans Date 10/06/2012
Approval Code 0***
Merchant Name Lowe's ****
Merchant City Name ****
Merchant Zip Code ****
Partial Shipment Indicator N
Merchant Category Description HOME SUPPLY WAREHOUSE STORES
Broad Industry Description RETAIL-GENERAL
Recurring Billing Indicator N
Authorized Merchant Name Lowe's NC INTERNET
Authorized Merchant Street 1502 RIVER RD BLDG C
Authorized Merchant State Code NC
Authorized Merchant Zip Code 2***

Probably safest not to depend on time zone issues.

I noticed money messenger usage made in wee hours of Oct. 6 was shown as done on Oct. 5 on statements even though there web site at the time gave the date of completion as Oct. 6. Their customer service reps show a Octr. 6 date, but in the future I will try to avoid any wee hours usage just to avoid issues.

There reward computation system has odd features. My wife earned the 5% on Amazon payments made Oct. 6, while similar expenditures by me did not. Both statements closed on the 9th. Their customer service people say expenditures made 5 days before the closing may not show up earning rewards for that cycle, but they will be credited later. They are probably right, but it is odd. I had changed the closing dates so that may have produced odd results.

ProfessorEd said:   Probably safest not to depend on time zone issues.

I noticed money messenger usage made in wee hours of Oct. 6 was shown as done on Oct. 5 on statements even though there web site at the time gave the date of completion as Oct. 6. Their customer service reps show a Octr. 6 date, but in the future I will try to avoid any wee hours usage just to avoid issues.

Here is my result:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Date Post Date
10/06/12 10/06/12 Click Description to Show DetailsMONEY MESSENGER ID# 0***T
***@*** $ 100.00 Services
10/05/12 10/05/12 Click Description to Show DetailsMONEY MESSENGER ID# 0***T
***@*** $ 200.00 Services
10/04/12 10/05/12 Click Description to Show DetailsMONEY MESSENGER ID# 0***T
***@*** $ 200.00 Services
Usually it takes 1-day to change status from Trans. Date -> Post Date like you see on the 10/4/12 transaction. Not this time!

Looks like there is another double Cash Back day scheduled for October 26, 2012. It was on my "front page", but go to "account profile" and it should be listed there to register.

RagingBull said:   As you as you purchase before 12:00 AM in your own time zone u get 2%. Discover has good customer service, just write to them if you don't

The CSR I talked to says they use the EST time zone. I guess Discover is quite lenient about how they determine a 'day'.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014