• 123 4 520
  • Page
  • Text Only
What?!? So I was flying through the application as usual, when I got to the State box...

"This offer is not available for residents of Iowa or Puerto Rico."

Discrimination against Iowans!!!

you can load upto $250 per month in serve that will bring your spend to $750. Another $250 in GC maybe?

CowbellMaster said:   Is anyone getting any emails from Barclay? Wife was approved and I'm a wait 'n see, and neither of us have received any emails.

DW received hers in a couple of hours. I doubt this would matter... but she also signed up for paperless during the app process. Received emails for both at the same time.

Thanks! Applied and got instant approval.

PS: what's best- keep the card dormant or cancel it (and after how long?)

Instantly approved. Thanks.

xkunalx said:   Thanks! Applied and got instant approval.

PS: what's best- keep the card dormant or cancel it (and after how long?)

Since there is no annual fee I would just keep it dormant. Canceling lowers the average age of your credit cards as far as your credit card score but it is a low percentage of the score when used as part of the credit score. Only cancel if you apply for other cards and they say your outstanding credit is too high. Then you can cancel to lower outstanding credit if necessary. Higher credit limit lowers your utilization rate of your credit which is a good thing.

ETA: I am not sure if what is posted below in this post changes MO of what I posted above or not. It never hurts to do a small transaction on a dormant card if you plan to possibly use this card in the future or keep them from outright canceling the card for lack of use. I have plently of Citi Cards I have not done a transaction for in years and they have never canceled the card. Have no familiarity with Barclays however.

""To participate in the rewards program, your account must remain open and in good standing, you must maintain your creditworthiness and you must use your card for at least one (1) purchase transaction every six (6) months (or have some type of account balance every six months). Failure to meet these requirements may result in account closure and/or forfeiture of all outstanding Points earned."

dukerau said:   Al3xK said:   curtisekarr said:   invisible said:   Omitting balance transfer portions and concentrating on bonus point conditions:

"Bonus Points: Cardmembers will receive a one time bonus award of forty thousand (40,000) points after at least $1000 in Net Purchases (that are not later returned or rescinded) has been charged to the new account in the first ninety (90) days after account opening. These Bonus Points will be posted within approximately thirty (30) days after the qualifying transaction. "

and redemption conditions omitting NFL related:

"3. Redemption Options: Cardmembers may redeem Points for a variety of rewards including Cash Back via a statement credit towards any purchase transactions of $25 or more that posted to your account within the last 90 days. Statement credit redemption amount cannot exceed the amount of the qualifying purchase transaction."

So as soon as charges of $1000 or over post, within approx 30 days, the bonus posts, that then can be redeemed for past transactions of 90 days that are $25 and over -- but what is not clear is would they count the purchases not in the current statement (they should per past 90 days wording) -- and the last line I italicized seems to be for transactions that are under, so basically if all transactions are 25 and under then you get nothing, nada ...
This card appears identical to the Barclays Priceline card, in which case you're absolutely correct. That's why you can structure the purchases as imbatman mentioned above, so that you have a single $410 purchase. Or really any combination of purchases greater than $25 each, which total about $410.

Example: make the purchases below and you should be able to redeem all of them for statement credit.

$123.00
$45.89
$62.00
$179.00

So if I just buy two Vanilla Visas at CVS for $500+5.95 + $500+5.95 for $1011.90+tax, I should meet this spend requirement just fine right?

You would meet the min spend, but you would be able to redeem only 40,000 of your 41,000 points. Barclays has an odd redemption system wherein you can redeem for any purchase above $25. If you have the points to "pay" for the whole purchase, you can do that, but if you do not have enough, you can do a partial redemption ONLY in increments of 2500 poins ($25). So by having a $410 purchase, or purchases that are >$25 each and total $410, you can get the most redemption dollars out of your points.

Just went thru the T&C to find I don't have to redeem at once. The points earned can be redeemed at user choice it seems so that's a relief. Basically get to $1K purchase quickly, once points post then or before make qualifying purchases for 410 to get those back....

But also see this added items in case someone plans to or ends up keeping points any longer:

"To participate in the rewards program, your account must remain open and in good standing, you must maintain your creditworthiness and you must use your card for at least one (1) purchase transaction every six (6) months (or have some type of account balance every six months). Failure to meet these requirements may result in account closure and/or forfeiture of all outstanding Points earned."

In for two, instant approval for the wife and I was given the 10 day notice. I do have a Priceline card -- but have top notch credit so I should be fine. Would it be wise to call the 800 number here or just wait? Otherwise, thanks OP!

imbatman said:   Arris1 said:   Is it bad to hit the min spend then cancel the card outright?

it would definitely be bad if you did that before getting the bonus.

Well that was worded incorrectly, I meant hit the spend, get the bonus and close it after I cash out.

CowbellMaster said:   Thanks, quick $8k approval for the wife... considering doing it myself too but between the discover card "spend $2500/mo" promo and two of these I'd have to really amp up the spending.

Ok, I think I'm up for the challenge.

What is this promo you have on your account? I have a spend 3k/month for 5 months get 500$ which I'm 1 month away from

sorry double post

Arris1 said:   imbatman said:   Arris1 said:   Is it bad to hit the min spend then cancel the card outright?

it would definitely be bad if you did that before getting the bonus.

Well that was worded incorrectly, I meant hit the spend, get the bonus and close it after I cash out.

There's other discussion in this thread about keeping the card open or closing it.
I also don't know your definition of "bad".

Worst case scenario, if you were to do what you are proposing. You'll lose a few points on your credit score for a few months and Barclay's may decide they don't want to do business with you anymore.

If that's bad, don't do what you're talking about. If you don't mind, it's fine.

Instant approval, $7K C/L. Maybe will try in wife's name later tonight. $400 rocks. Thanks OP!

Chris.

imbatman said:   buno said:   Got need for further review message.. clicked on application status and says they cannot offer me credit card.
Is there a reconsideration line to call?

866-369-1283
good luck.

Thanks, this number worked for me. I had just applied for the Priceline card a few days ago and they said they automatically assign Pending status to current cardholders so that their analysts can look at history with their own cards. It only took a couple of minutes to approve me.

surfsidebeach said:   In for two, instant approval for the wife and I was given the 10 day notice. I do have a Priceline card -- but have top notch credit so I should be fine. Would it be wise to call the 800 number here or just wait? Otherwise, thanks OP!
If you want it sooner, call them and they'll likely approve it immediately (see my above post).

For those who have this card, how long till you get the card in the mail?

I have a sizable expense that can be charged on a credit card coming up next. Wish there was a way I could get the # rather than waiting 2 weeks

Nice, got one..

Go Bears !

ymarker said:   For those who have this card, how long till you get the card in the mail?

I have a sizable expense that can be charged on a credit card coming up next. Wish there was a way I could get the # rather than waiting 2 weeks

They offer to express the card during application. If I recall correctly it indicated 3 days and was $29.99.

Thanks imbatman!!!
I greatly appreciate you sharing yet another super deal/promotion.
Instantly approved with low credit line but that's more than fine with me.

Congratulations, you have been approved for your

Green Bay Packers Extra Points MasterCard with a Credit Line of $1,500.00

Instant approval, thanks OP! Too bad I just paid my insurance for the next 6 months, that would have helped with the spend...

For those of you applying / applied for this card today, thinking of applying for any other today as well? Citi TYP? ($2500 spend), or Chase Slate $3000 spend seem to be the only viable choices. Any others?

ymarker said:   For those of you applying / applied for this card today, thinking of applying for any other today as well? Citi TYP? ($2500 spend), or Chase Slate $3000 spend seem to be the only viable choices. Any others?

Check out Hustler Money's Best Credit Cards Bonus list: http://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/card-bonuses/

Thanks for the link, but hoping to avoid hotel/airline points which can't be easily cashed out, such as being able to cash out the points with atleast $0.01 / point or redeem at that rate for gift cards to places like Amazon.com. I did like the southwest airlines deal back from chas3 as you could cash those points out for amaz0n gc

$7.5 instant approval (got the same terms for the wife as well). Seems like a great deal.

BrianGa said:   kn9ght said:   mathfaster said:   Any issues with Barclay cards and using Amazon Payments to meet the spend requirement?
I want to know this also.
TIA
You guys don't have $1,000 in CC spending over 3 months? Utilities, phone, insurance bills, etc...?

I have this card and the Delta to burn through, so $6k in 3 months, but I'd like to knock it out in 1.

Great work OP. Yeah, got denied for all the times I applied for this earlier this year due to number of apps but this one went through. Sweet!

In for one (mayhaps two if I can convince the missus) - thanks OP!

Edit: Bear down

I got deferred. I have a William Sonoma card with them that I've used maybe once.

In for two (myself and DW), great deal!

Had previous card (US Airways) from earlier this year still open. Tried applying this morning online, however got the "review" response, and as soon as I went to the application status website, was dinged.

BUT, I just called the recon number, answered same info, approved a credit pull (since apparently they hadn't done one yet), offered to move over some CL from US Airways card, and voila, approved with $5k CL!!

So, those of you with an existing Barclays card, I'm guessing that could preclude the ap from initially going through and you might have to call.

Al3xK said:   BrianGa said:   kn9ght said:   mathfaster said:   Any issues with Barclay cards and using Amazon Payments to meet the spend requirement?
I want to know this also.
TIA
You guys don't have $1,000 in CC spending over 3 months? Utilities, phone, insurance bills, etc...?

I have this card and the Delta to burn through, so $6k in 3 months, but I'd like to knock it out in 1.

Delta is 5k in 6 months, no?

I called and got approved by a very nice guy in Delaware. I told him I only needed $5k credit limit and he didn't even take it off my WS card credit limit.

Interesting: the hard credit inquiry hits immediately, I thought it may take a day or so atleast to show up.
I had one inquiry coming off from Aug 2010 deal (what was the FW deal I forget) and this go added at the same time so next zero difference in scores
This dinged autoinsurance score (no real auto ticket or claim activity so must be just this) by 26 and vantage score by 23 ... whatever those mean ...
all this from free creditkarma ...

In 4 a bunch. Thanks OP

Thanks. Approved for me, pending for spouse.

I like the idea of buying $410 gift card to receive credit.

Not available in Iowa, or Puerto Rico... what do they have against people in Iowa?

ThreeDJMay said:   ... what do they have against people in Iowa?

well duh

ThreeDJMay said:   Not available in Iowa, or Puerto Rico... what do they have against people in Iowa?

My guess is that the Iowa legislature passed some type of regulation that Barclay's just doesn't want to deal with. Tried to Google but not finding much. Google "Iowa Consumer Credit Code (ICCC)". Seems there might be something using that: http://www.iowa.gov/government/ag/protecting_consumers/assignees...

I got the "We'll get back to you with an answer" message, that lead to a page where I can check the status, and I immediately checked it to find I was accepted for 7.5k, oddly, I still haven't seen an e-mail from them (and checked my spam).
I'm not too worried about it, just odd.
$400 is an AWESOME perk!

Lucky1Lxe said:   I got the "We'll get back to you with an answer" message, that lead to a page where I can check the status, and I immediately checked it to find I was accepted for 7.5k, oddly, I still haven't seen an e-mail from them (and checked my spam).
I'm not too worried about it, just odd.
$400 is an AWESOME perk!

Email took an hour or so (maybe 2) after my instant approval.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014