The end of Chase Cash Plus Rewards

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
(The old thread: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/746242 is archived so I thought I might start a new one for the last of our kind )

Well it was a nice run 6 year run, and somehow my VISA managed to avoid round after round after round of downgrades, but today was finally the day I got the dreaded letter

Chase isn't even making it a Freedom like they used to, but rather they are moving it to the "Chase Flexible Rewards" program which only offers a lame 1 point on everything, no bonus categories. Looks like a definite sock drawer card.

The switch takes effect "on or about October 30, 2012". Guess I still have a month left to get all I can out of it. I'd like to think I am part of the last batch of downgrades, but perhaps there are still holdouts somewhere out there

p.s.
If anyone wants an image of the letter I can provide that.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Call and complain; they might let you change it to a Freedom

I just got the letter too, , it isn't going to be worth using this card any more now that we have to spend $5000 before we get a measly $50 check. We did good last year, may be done with chase now, unless I can at least get them to switch mine to a freedom.

After you call, let us know how it turns out.

I have Rewards Plus Visa and mastercard for 5% gas/grocery/Drugstore since 2005 or 2006.
Got the letter for the mastercard last Sept. Hopefully I won't get the letter this round.
But even if I do, I actually didn't really miss the 5% g/g/d for the last 18 months. I didn't even use it that much.

Reason was because I got the AARP 5% on everything for 6 months, then DW also got the AARP card for another 6 months after mine was ended.
Now I am still using my Citi Preferred Visa (again with 5% for 6 months). Hoping another 5% on everything card is coming up soon.
If not, I'll apply for cc with big sign up bonuses, such as Chase INK card with 50K bonus, with $5000 spending requirement.
After that, DW will get another Chase INK card. So basically 100K bonus for $10K spending. Pretty much like getting 10% on everything. LOL.
Occasionally, I've seen AMEX Business Gold offers 75K bonus pts also. Just too many good sign up bonus offers. Don't think I am going to miss Chase Rewards cards.

echip said:   I have Rewards Plus Visa and mastercard for 5% gas/grocery/Drugstore since 2005 or 2006.
Got the letter for the mastercard last Sept. Hopefully I won't get the letter this round.
But even if I do, I actually didn't really miss the 5% g/g/d for the last 18 months. I didn't even use it that much.

Reason was because I got the AARP 5% on everything for 6 months, then DW also got the AARP card for another 6 months after mine was ended.
Now I am still using my Citi Preferred Visa (again with 5% for 6 months). Hoping another 5% on everything card is coming up soon.
If not, I'll apply for cc with big sign up bonuses, such as Chase INK card with 50K bonus, with $5000 spending requirement.
After that, DW will get another Chase INK card. So basically 100K bonus for $10K spending. Pretty much like getting 10% on everything. LOL.
Occasionally, I've seen AMEX Business Gold offers 75K bonus pts also. Just too many good sign up bonus offers. Don't think I am going to miss Chase Rewards cards.

Yeah. There are quite a few deals out there right now. In the g/g/d space I'm currently enjoying 10% at Citizens Bank. Elsewhere, though, I'm not doing as well. I use Priceline outside g/g/d. That only gives me 2% Cash Back and I don't know how to do better.

I got the same letter. I called and asked if it were possible to change it instead to a Freedom Card, and they said yes. So I should get my new Freedom card in 5 business days. Rewards points transfer over and do not expire.

My dreaded letter arrived today I've had the Chase Cash Plus for a while - maybe 2005? Once it becomes Chase Flexible Rewards, will these points merge with my existing Chase Freedom Ultimate Rewards points? At some point in the future I'll have to get Sapphire Preffered to get those into airline miles.

I'm really surprised that there are any of those old cards around. I thought they'd closed them out last year at the latest (like mine).

I just got the same letter today. I thought it was because I hadn't used it as I was using other cards chasing bonuses...but I guess I'm not alone. I already have the Chase Freedom card which was converted a long time ago from a First USA Bank card or something. I don't even remember. So can I transfer the points to ultimate rewards cause we weren't able to do so when it was Cash Plus?

I just noticed that my Chase Cash Plus Rewards, which was downgraded from 5% to 3% for g/g/d, just become 1% for everything, starting November. I don't recall getting a notice, I would have sock drawered the card, which I will do now.

I got my letter a couple of months ago too...I was able to hold out until the end. It was replaced with a Freedom.

It was fun while it lasted. I haven't paid too much attention to the rotating categories yet, but that's on my list of things to do.

My 5% g/g/d finally also died after many potential deaths, and I closed the card. For the first time in many years the wife and I have no Chase relationship at all. The big surprise was that Chase cashed out every earned point to the penny, even though we were part way between the normal $50 redemption points. At least we were Chased away friendly.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.