• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have an old Citi card sockdrawered from a 0% BT offer some years ago. It's one of those "Extra Cash" cards, that offer discounts on gift cards. I've used it once or twice to get Staples GC for FAR items and whatnot, but I still have quite a high balance just sitting there. I got the following email from Citi earlier this week:

Get great deals on the Web, backed by the Low Price Guarantee. Beginning October 15th, Extra Cash from Citi will become Citi Easy Deals℠. You’ll get one Citi Easy Deals Point for each Dollar in Extra Cash you already have – and the best part is, your points never expire, as long as your Citi® card account remains open.

To celebrate this change, we’re giving you 1,000 bonus points that you can use for great savings opportunities. So you’ll want to register for this free Citi cardmember benefit today.

• Each month you'll earn 10% of your Citi card spending in Citi Easy Deals Points.

• You can redeem for great deals on everything from gift cards to travel and entertainment, as well as deals right in your neighborhood.

• Shop with confidence knowing that your purchases are covered by the Low Price Guarantee.

Is it possible that this program is becoming more worthless than it currently is?!?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Just a carrot to keep you hang around the website for advertisements.

stevebuyonline (May. 17, 2013 @ 2:22p) |

Let's keep this very simple and straightforward, folks. There are credit card rewards programs out there (e.g., Chase Vi... (more)

jyunesque (Jun. 03, 2013 @ 9:38a) |

It's not only Taco Bell. I also found Burger King coupons a while back.
I no longer visit that site. What a waste of ti... (more)

View (Jun. 03, 2013 @ 9:49p) |

• Also categorized in:

I wasn't able to find any more information about it. It seems like exactly the same thing with a different name, plue "deals right in your neighborhood", whatever that means. Yes, it is possible it is becoming even more worthless, but my guess is nothing is really changing.

When was it ever worthwhile lol

I was placed into this card, its predecessor went away, and was able to convert it to Forward

pietromoon said:   I was placed into this card, its predecessor went away, and was able to convert it to Forward

Sadly, I already have the Forward Card. If they'd upgrade to Dividend, I might be interested (the crappy Oct-Dec. categories notwithstanding). But I hear this has been a pain since about 2010 or so.

doveroftke said:   It seems like exactly the same thing with a different name, plue "deals right in your neighborhood", whatever that means.

My intuition was that this would be a sort of Groupon-type thing. I might call early next week and try to find out (in case anyone is burning to know! :-/ )

how to earn points...so I can bid on the items...I only have abt 1000 points not enough to play bid...now they r not even giving surveys..is th any other way...n they 10% of each eligible purchase which is 10 points of spending $100 not worth it.

Its worthless, I used the card to build up extra cash for a vacation for my wifes 50th. After using the points it is still cheaper on Travelocity. Airfare, forget it. As soon as the 0% intro rate is done they lost a customer.

I have 3 Credit Card one is Citibank. They allowed me 10% back on a Gift Card. The other two mailed me completely the gift cards did not have to buy and get 10% off. The person responsible for citicbank program is the worst program I have ever seen

Worst "awards" program of any card I have ever had. What a joke! I put that one away.

bbbeaniebabies said:   I have 3 Credit Card one is Citibank. They allowed me 10% back on a Gift Card. The other two mailed me completely the gift cards did not have to buy and get 10% off.
I read this 3 times and still don't understand what you are trying to say.

This program is OK if you want to buy select gift cards at 10% off. Not as cool as Forward's TruAxis where you can sometimes score giftcards at 40% off but still OK. I only use this card to buy giftcards.

Citideals is a waste of time. Virtually every credit card today has a point system that, amazingly, lets you actually redeem your points for items that you want. For example, if I want a gift card, my AMEX membership rewards allows me to actually get the gift card, not offer a crappy 10% discount.

I think of this way, credit card reward programs essentially give you cash to go to the mall and buy things you want- while citi deals sends you straight to the dollar store to 'bid' on useless junk.

The points auctions are the worst. I never won anything because I've always been outbid.

Thats because you, me, and thousands of others suckered into this crapcard are all bidding on the same $10 Walgreens gift card. Id give it 6 months, a year tops til this program is dead. Nobody will stick around.

Citi screws over customers royally, then tales taxpayer bailouts every few years. Don't expect anything from it even if seemingly advertised.

The citi extra cash auctions are just a way for them to collect clicks for advertisement. Don't waste your time.

the gift cards are a scam. there are better deals on other credit cards where you actually get to use the points to buy the gift card.
on Discover I used 20 points to get a $25 dollar gift card. no need to pay extra money. Here you need to use 5 points and pay $95 to get a $100 gift card. Also the daily deals are impossible to get. The minute it opens and you click on it. Its gone all in carts or sold out. When I managed to get one. Had to go through the tedious check out process. Will not acccept AMEX card to pay for shipping. After plugging in all the info, it says does not ship to Hawaii. As for the deals near you forget it. You get those for free anyway in the flyers they mail to your home or find them in the local free papers. what a big scam. All my points are useless. They just make you visit the website to collect clicks. Don't waste your time

Does anyone know if we can transfer these 'points' to something that has actual value? For example, many programs allow you to redeem points-albeit at a discount, to another program. I highly doubt it but with thousands of useless points in my account i thought i would ask...

Daisymonster said:   Does anyone know if we can transfer these 'points' to something that has actual value? For example, many programs allow you to redeem points-albeit at a discount, to another program. I highly doubt it but with thousands of useless points in my account i thought i would ask...

You can redeem them for coupons at restaurants if you'd really like. I found a few Taco Bell coupons that I can redeem points for.

googled about these darn citi points and ended up here. totally worthless program, no question about it. much better cards out there with Cash Back options that are truly useful.

kvs25 said:   You can redeem them for coupons at restaurants if you'd really like. I found a few Taco Bell coupons that I can redeem points for.

can't stop laughing at this, because it's true! that's about what this program is worth - discount on taco bell.

kvs25 said:   When was it ever worthwhile lol

What he said.

Just a carrot to keep you hang around the website for advertisements.

Let's keep this very simple and straightforward, folks. There are credit card rewards programs out there (e.g., Chase Visa) that actually let you convert points *directly* to CASH! It's actual cold hard cash you can use to even pay off your current credit card bill. This Citi points program is different. It does NOT let you convert points directly to cash. Instead, you have to either spend extra money to use the points (e.g., to buy gift cards at discount) or use it to bid on items, which sounds pretty useless. The only time you can get extra free cash with Citi is when they offer percent off rebate program, which they offer only during certain times of the year and only for specific types of purchases (e.g., gas, grocery, hotel, etc.). I actually found that pretty useful, if the rebates applied to purchases I make regularly anyway. And the rebates were pretty generous, something like 5% up to maximum of $500 or $1000. Otherwise, I use my Chase Visa card.

bradnic said:   
can't stop laughing at this, because it's true! that's about what this program is worth - discount on taco bell.

It's not only Taco Bell. I also found Burger King coupons a while back.
I no longer visit that site. What a waste of time.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014