• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Does anyone known what is the definition of online shopping? Is that mean every transaction made online eligible for 5%? thanks

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I bought a dryer last summer on Sears.com and it took 2 billing cycles before my ShopDiscover CashBack was credited.

mbzoltan (Dec. 28, 2012 @ 2:54p) |

Some of my online purchases recently under the description for "POS mode" stated "manually keyed" vs "online" - anyone k... (more)

VanishingElephant (Jan. 02, 2013 @ 2:04p) |

Dont worry about that -- Paypal shows up as manual but still gets 5%

Just add up all your online purchases and see how mu... (more)

jatan1986 (Jan. 02, 2013 @ 3:36p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

That's what it says to me....

-Pak

shenshenstone said:   Does anyone known what is the definition of online shopping? Is that mean every transaction made online eligible for 5%? thanks

Unfortunately, the mouse print describing the bonus is quite nonsensical. It says:Department stores are defined as retailers selling a wide variety of merchandise, with separate checkout counters in each department. Amounts that are not charged to your card during your online purchase will not qualify. This could almost be interpreted as meaning that the you only get the 5% bonus for online purchases at department stores.

Last year, quite a few of my transactions did not get the 5% Cash Back and I had to call and ask for it. They had no problem giving it to me, but it was still a hassle.

When I go to discovercard.com, I get a headline that says specifically "5% Cash Back everywhere you shop online." Click on the Sign Up button, and you learn that it applies to department stores and online purchases, with this fine print:

>>>* Sign up to earn 5% CashBack Bonus for Department store and online purchases from 10/1/12 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 12/31/12, subject to a cap of $1500 in purchases. Department stores are defined as retailers selling a wide variety of merchandise, with separate checkout counters in each department. Amounts that are not charged to your card during your online purchase will not qualify. These purchases must post to your account by 12/31/12 and do not count towards determining your eligibility to earn 1%. Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, or discount stores are not eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. Rewards are added to your CashBack Bonus account within 2 billing periods. See CashBack Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details.>>>

Also, here's part of the e-mail I got after I signed up for the current 5% deal:

<<<Just use your card at Department Stores and for all Online Shopping from October 1, 2012 through December 31, 2012 and get 5% CashBack Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases. >>>>

Someone in the other thread mentioned online bill payments (ie utility bills) even though paid online would not count...

I wonder if Amazon.com purchases or even gift cards qualify...

So, sounds like I'm being optimistic in expecting my Amazon Payments and money messenger transactions to qualify? My statement closes in a few days

I have just paid:
AT&T bill online
Tmobile bill online
eBay seller fees
eBay seller

Plus Amazon payments and Serve.

My statement closes on the 6th, so I will update what counts and what doesn't.
In the past, sometimes there is a delay on Cash Back availability on purchases that barely made the cutoff to my statement. Does this happen to anyone else?

AP probably won't, Amazon purchases and GCs probably will (afaik there's no way to distinguish if you purchased an physical item or a gift card).

"Amounts that are not charged to your card during your online purchase will not qualify" -- I think it means if you shop on some website and pick up your item at the B&M location, they'd better process your payment online, NOT at the B&M location. I think Staples takes your credit card info online, but actually charges whatever card you give them during in-store pickup.

I did some digging and came up with this:

Merchant Name DENNY'S INC
Merchant Category Description FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS
Broad Industry Description ENTERTAINMENT/AMUSEMENT
POS Mode Description CARD SWIPED

Merchant Name PG&E
Broad Industry Description UTILITIES, GOVERNMENT & EDUCATION
POS Mode Description ONLINE

Merchant Name Groupon INC
Broad Industry Description SERVICES-GENERAL

Merchant Name Amazon PAYMENTS
Broad Industry Description RETAIL-MAIL/PHONE ORDER

Merchant Name Staples

In other words, Amazon Payments will count as Online transaction. If you do it on the 6th, you should get 7% CashBack. Anyone see otherwise?

starcrossed said:   Merchant Name PG&E

Wow, I didn't know that's available, for $1.25 fee.

hightide said:   
In the past, sometimes there is a delay on Cash Back availability on purchases that barely made the cutoff to my statement. Does this happen to anyone else?

Happened to me with a purchase two months ago. Got the Cash Back with my last statement.

I've asked the Discover rep via chat. If merchant's name shows up on statement as a .com, then it will be considered online purchase. Can't say I was too happy with the rep's interpretation, but its a data point.
I don't have Discover More yet (am waiting for it), but those who do might copy/paste a few txn details here (as starcrossed did above).

Discover is the worst. Sometimes I get CashBack 3 months later. You can never tell if it works or not.

starcrossed said:   I did some digging and came up with this:

Merchant Name DENNY'S INC
Merchant Category Description FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS
Broad Industry Description ENTERTAINMENT/AMUSEMENT

Merchant Name PG&E

Merchant Name Groupon INC
Broad Industry Description SERVICES-GENERAL

Merchant Name Amazon PAYMENTS
Broad Industry Description RETAIL-MAIL/PHONE ORDER

Merchant Name Staples

In other words, Amazon Payments will count as Online transaction. If you do it on the 6th, you should get 7% CashBack. Anyone see otherwise?

maybe discover distinguish the transaction by the field of POS Mode...

expired said:   Discover is the worst. Sometimes I get CashBack 3 months later. You can never tell if it works or not.
+1

expired said:   Discover is the worst. Sometimes I get CashBack 3 months later. You can never tell if it works or not.

It is a pain but you can ask online CSR if purchase WAS valid or not ...

Its not that bad if you get a CSR credit in the correct month and the system auto credits it again several months later!

infogirlgeek said:   expired said:   Discover is the worst. Sometimes I get CashBack 3 months later. You can never tell if it works or not.

Its not that bad if you get a CSR credit in the correct month and the system auto credits it again several months later!

+1

that's the trick, such thing just happened to me.

I wonder if Google checkout or Paypal will count as online purchase when I buy something online.

Anyone know if Newgg counts?

hanahwy said:   I wonder if Google checkout or Paypal will count as online purchase when I buy something online.

I answered PayPal question on the other thread.

Newegg, most likely.

My rewards have been updated but statement hasn't been published yet (statement closed on the 6th).
I'm pleasantly surprised by the rewards I earned. Amazon payments earned 5% for sure.

Just saw my statement:

Counts for 5%:
Amazon payments
Paying people with via paypal
Paying eBay seller's fees

Doesn't count for 5%:
(deleted)
Serve
AT&T bill payment
T-Mobile bill payment
Discover send money

Correction: Paying eBay seller's fees does count for 5%

interesting topic~

Good info, thanks!

-Pak

hightide said:   Just saw my statement:

Counts for 5%:
Amazon payments

Doesn't count for 5%:
Serve
AT&T bill payment
T-Mobile bill payment
Discover send money

hightide:

Would you mind contacting Discover to ask them about the charges that didn't get 5%? It would be useful to hear a response from one of their CSRs.

bluechalk said:   hightide:

Would you mind contacting Discover to ask them about the charges that didn't get 5%? It would be useful to hear a response from one of their CSRs.

On the list, only thing he/she might be able to negotiate is eBay. Utility bill payments are not covered according to ProfessorED...and Serve and Discover's Money Messenger are a derivative of cash advance...so as Amazon WebPay, but don't tell 'em.

bluechalk said:   hightide:

Was curious too so I just called Discover and I'm glad I did.
The CSR confirmed that PAYPAL *eBay INC 4029357733 CA (paying eBay seller's fees) does count for 5%. As my charge went through near the statement cutoff, he said the 5% will appear on my next statement.

I just noticed on my statement: It looks like the $3,000 spending tier resets after my anniversary (have always thought that they reset on a new calendar year). Can anyone else confirm that spending tiers reset after your anniversary as opposed to every January?

hightide said:   
I just noticed on my statement: It looks like the $3,000 spending tier resets after my anniversary (have always thought that they reset on a new calendar year). Can anyone else confirm that spending tiers reset after your anniversary as opposed to every January?

That's how it suppose to work. Anniversary is when you opened the account with 'em, so it's special.

I got 5% on Amazon payments... didnt get the 2% though... It is not worth calling for 2%.

I got NOTHING for AP, not even 0.25%. Hoping it's a temporary glitch for a late-posting transaction (just before stmt closed).

Does anyone know whether purchases at Cardpool will be considered online?

Hate the $1500 quarterly cap.

psychtobe said:   Hate the $1500 quarterly cap.Better than the $300-$500 caps they used to have -- thanks to Chase and all their commercials about Freedom having $1500 cap made Discover finally change it to $1500

hightide said:   Just saw my statement:

Counts for 5%:
Amazon payments

Doesn't count for 5%:
(deleted)
Serve
AT&T bill payment
T-Mobile bill payment
Discover send money

Correction: Paying eBay seller's fees does count for 5%

Thanks for the digging! So we know that utility bills do not count as online shopping. How about online service subscriptions such as online gaming and credit monitoring?

Skipping 95 Messages...
VanishingElephant said:   Some of my online purchases recently under the description for "POS mode" stated "manually keyed" vs "online" - anyone know if this affects the 5% promotion? I have no idea why an online purchase would state "manually keyed" unless it was a glitch.Dont worry about that -- Paypal shows up as manual but still gets 5%

Just add up all your online purchases and see how much you're short each statement and then send them an online message

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014