• filter:
  • 19 10 11121330
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
zgenerale said:   imbatman said:   If you order the card online you don't have to pay the initiation/startup $5.

As previously reported, you can't load ice cream to the starter kit. You'll need the premanent card by mail, so save your $5 and order online.

Thanks for the tip guys! Applied online...will be getting a prescription from the doctor to be filled at Charlie victor samuels later! What is the strength of a safe dosage? 1000 cc or should I start lower?

rated:
more like...."you ready baby?" "yeah, let me get a Trojan....what the....a gift card?"

jcaserta said:   "Mommy why does my new stuffed animal have these vanilla cards stuffed into its ears and why don't they taste like vanilla?"

rated:
I think Trojans wouldn't qualify as low-turning inventory. Although fitting if you think Trojan Horse.

rated:
hebron1427 said:   KYBOSH said:   You should definitely bring it up.

You entered in the numbers correctly and it should have gone through.
Its a legit checking account with funds available.

If it didn't work its due to no fault of your own.
I doubt they will care that its a BB account.

You're not a leper for having one.

i was thinking that, but the bank that runs BB is the one that issued the card...and the one i buy my bird seed with... (although this is payment for a different card than the one i use to buy)

update--called and they reversed. no questions asked. less than 3 minutes total call time.

rated:
So after hitting the caps on Citi Dividend and Chase Freedom... any other cards get you more than 2% at drugstores?

rated:
JeebusSaves said:   So after hitting the caps on Citi Dividend and Chase Freedom... any other cards get you more than 2% at drugstores?
As of this afternoon, my 3 Citi Dividend cards will be all rewarded out. Then if I feel the need, might try to get some SW miles - the airline redeems them in a way that makes them much more valuable than any other airline. I also just got my 2 NFL cards yesterday, so might need to spend $400 twice and $600 twice. I gave up the Chase Freedom a long time ago to facilitate signing up for other Chase cards.

rated:
Citi Premier Elite is 2.2 pts/dollar (1 pt + 20% Drugstore bonus + 1 matching flight point). Then with that card you get 33% bonus redemption on airfare, so call it 3% or so in rewards. That's the best I can find.

rated:
HawkeyeNFO said:   JeebusSaves said:   So after hitting the caps on Citi Dividend and Chase Freedom... any other cards get you more than 2% at drugstores?SW miles - the airline redeems them in a way that makes them much more valuable than any other airline.It's <= 2% with SWA, not >.

rated:
scripta said:   HawkeyeNFO said:   JeebusSaves said:   So after hitting the caps on Citi Dividend and Chase Freedom... any other cards get you more than 2% at drugstores?SW miles - the airline redeems them in a way that makes them much more valuable than any other airline.It's <= 2% with SWA, not >.

Normally, RR points can be redeemed for 1.67 cpp on wanna get away fares. BUT if you have the companion pass, then tickets are basically buy one get one free. So at best you can redeem them for 3.34 cpp.

rated:
Well, I am flying my family of 5 from BWI to Florida and back for about 55,000 miles. I'm no expert, but I think it takes a little bit more than that on other carriers. So yes, better than 2% return on investment.

edit: that's without the companion pass

rated:
HawkeyeNFO said:   I'm no expert, but I think it takes a little bit more than that on other carriers. So yes, better than 2% return on investment.No, you're comparing apples to oranges here. You need to compare the price vs points on the same carrier, and you'll arrive at anywhere between 1.67 and 2 cpp (w/o companion pass). You can value SWA points higher than other FF miles, but comparing it to CB from other CCs, you have to use the comparable cash value of those points.

rated:
scripta said:   HawkeyeNFO said:   I'm no expert, but I think it takes a little bit more than that on other carriers. So yes, better than 2% return on investment.No, you're comparing apples to oranges here. You need to compare the price vs points on the same carrier, and you'll arrive at anywhere between 1.67 and 2 cpp (w/o companion pass). You can value SWA points higher than other FF miles, but comparing it to CB from other CCs, you have to use the comparable cash value of those points.

No. Southwest RR is revenue based redemption program. It can't get higher than 1.67 cpp if no companion pass.
My guess is the tickets were purchased during their most recent big sale for around 11,000 points a piece ($183.70 per ticket).

rated:
I don't know what you're saying "no" to, batman.

I recently purchased a ticket that was $89.40 at wanna-get-away fare for 4860 pts. (1.84 cpp). And I've seen it get closer to 2cpp. It wasn't a sale.

Anyway, I think we went way off-topic. Point being is SWA is only > 2% with a companion pass. Citi TY Premier could be 2.92% with flight points and Drugstore bonus, when redeemed for flights using TYN travel redemption (33% bonus), as kwest pointed out above.

rated:
http://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/how-to-redeem
60 points always gets you a dollar for wanna get away fares.
Or 1.67 cpp

For your fare you still had to pay $10 in the 9/11 fee. So you got a $79 or so ticket for 4860 or so

rated:
Way OT, but the goal is to pay nothing, or as close to it as possible for airfare. Almost any other airline forces you to cash in 25,000 miles for a r/t ticket, but with SW it only takes 11,000. I typically value miles at 1 cent/mile, but now that I don't really pay cash any more, it has become irrelevant. The key is to conserve your miles (which is easier with SW than anybody else), and find an inexpensive way to accumulate them. And that is where I can see a benefit to the Bluebird account.

The point is that if I accumulate miles via my SW card, I will have free tickets more than twice as quickly than if I spend the same amount with a United card or Delta card.

rated:
HawkeyeNFO said:   Way OT, but the goal is to pay nothing, or as close to it as possible for airfare. Almost any other airline forces you to cash in 25,000 miles for a r/t ticket, but with SW it only takes 11,000. I typically value miles at 1 cent/mile, but now that I don't really pay cash any more, it has become irrelevant. The key is to conserve your miles (which is easier with SW than anybody else), and find an inexpensive way to accumulate them. And that is where I can see a benefit to the Bluebird account.

The point is that if I accumulate miles via my SW card, I will have free tickets more than twice as quickly than if I spend the same amount with a United card or Delta card.

To bring it back on topic. You would be better off using a 2% card the using the cash to buy the tickets.
Spend 11,000 to get 11,000 SW points for a ticket.
Or spend 9,200 on a 2% card to purchase that same ticket for $184.
You would be even better off if you used the Citicard mentioned above- spend $8360 to get the enough to get that same $184 ticket.

rated:
imbatman said:   HawkeyeNFO said:   Way OT, but the goal is to pay nothing, or as close to it as possible for airfare. Almost any other airline forces you to cash in 25,000 miles for a r/t ticket, but with SW it only takes 11,000. I typically value miles at 1 cent/mile, but now that I don't really pay cash any more, it has become irrelevant. The key is to conserve your miles (which is easier with SW than anybody else), and find an inexpensive way to accumulate them. And that is where I can see a benefit to the Bluebird account.

To bring it back on topic. You would be better off using a 2% card the using the cash to buy the tickets.
You would be even better off if you used the Citicard mentioned above- spend $8360 to get the enough to get that same $184 ticket.

OK, you are correct. Once I have enough miles for the companion pass, the SW cards go back to the sock drawer to await cancellation, and the card with TJ Hooker returns to the wallet.

rated:
The only thing you have to make sure you take into account is the fee on the card... It eats into your return.. so rather then 20 bucks per 1K, its really 12, so I think you have to spend 15K in reloads.. but its pure profit at that point.

HawkeyeNFO said:   imbatman said:   HawkeyeNFO said:   Way OT, but the goal is to pay nothing, or as close to it as possible for airfare. Almost any other airline forces you to cash in 25,000 miles for a r/t ticket, but with SW it only takes 11,000. I typically value miles at 1 cent/mile, but now that I don't really pay cash any more, it has become irrelevant. The key is to conserve your miles (which is easier with SW than anybody else), and find an inexpensive way to accumulate them. And that is where I can see a benefit to the Bluebird account.

OK, you are correct. Once I have enough miles for the companion pass, the SW cards go back to the sock drawer to await cancellation, and the card with TJ Hooker returns to the wallet.

rated:
HawkeyeNFO said:   JeebusSaves said:   So after hitting the caps on Citi Dividend and Chase Freedom... any other cards get you more than 2% at drugstores?
As of this afternoon, my 3 Citi Dividend cards will be all rewarded out. Then if I feel the need, might try to get some SW miles - the airline redeems them in a way that makes them much more valuable than any other airline. I also just got my 2 NFL cards yesterday, so might need to spend $400 twice and $600 twice. I gave up the Chase Freedom a long time ago to facilitate signing up for other Chase cards.

Thanks for the tip - SWA may actually be good for me. I could get >3% that way because I converted points to AirTran and back to SWA (not sure if you can still do that) to get a partial old-style RR credit. If I get up to 16 old credits, that's worth a round-trip regardless of price. But other than that, probably not worth it.

I guess there's still the Citizens card if you haven't done that, at least for a few months.

rated:
imbatman said:   http://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/how-to-redeem
60 points always gets you a dollar for wanna get away fares.
Or 1.67 cpp

For your fare you still had to pay $10 in the 9/11 fee. So you got a $79 or so ticket for 4860 or so
That fee was $2.50, and it was not included in the $89.40 I quoted. I paid 4860 pts + $2.50. I know what the math is supposed to be, and it had always been 1.67cpp before, but not for the past few months as far as I can tell. I priced a random one-way trip just now, and one that costs $83.90 comes out to 4380pts+$2.50 (=> $81.40=4380pts => 1.86 cpp).

Here's another completely random flight, so you can check yourself:
OAK-BOS on 3/27 at 11am: $198.90 or 10620+$5. Meaning 10620pts = $193.90, or 1.82cppHawkeyeNFO said:   imbatman said:   You would be better off using a 2% card the using the cash to buy the tickets.
OK, you are correct.
So if you agree your math was off, why did you still give me red for stating exactly the same thing?

rated:
You're right. Reward tickets don't have fees that cash tickets have which does increase the value of the points even though you are redeeming at 1.67 cpp, you're not paying more

rated:
Hrm. My bluebird seems to be refusing my helpings of vanilla beans. Does anyone know the cause of this? I know that BB has a daily max of $1000.

rated:
catanpirate said:   Hrm. My bluebird seems to be refusing my helpings of vanilla beans. Does anyone know the cause of this? I know that BB has a daily max of $1000.

And 5k monthly.

rated:
Thanks. Does anyone have suggestions for vanilla beans that I can't feed my bluebird for another two weeks?

rated:
catanpirate said:   Thanks. Does anyone have suggestions for vanilla beans that I can't feed my bluebird for another two weeks?
Put them on a MyVanilla debit card, and take it to your bank/credit union. Ask them to cash it out for the full value. Vanilla may charge you 50 cents for the transaction, but they add the fee after the transaction, not at that time. So you might end up with a 50 cent negative balance on the card.

rated:
net spend

rated:
Do you know if bluebird works with paypal? Can i link paypal Payment account to Bluebird. Move money from paypal Payments to Blueird. Thanks

rated:
lmk7102 said:   Do you know if bluebird works with paypal? Can i link paypal Payment account to Bluebird. Move money from paypal Payments to Blueird. Thanks
only in one direction. you can deposit PP to BB. you cannot initiate BB payments from paypal like you could with a bank account.

rated:
Just an FYI for anyone who has trouble opening up a BB account because of an existing Serve account: Just closing the Serve account online was not enough for me (and I waited 2 days trying to sign up for BB online), I had to call in to the Serve help line and have them manually close my account. In addition, I had to have them update my old Serve profile information to match what I wanted in my new BB account before I could finish the registration process with BB.

rated:
scripta said:   I don't know what you're saying "no" to, batman.

I recently purchased a ticket that was $89.40 at wanna-get-away fare for 4860 pts. (1.84 cpp). And I've seen it get closer to 2cpp. It wasn't a sale.

Anyway, I think we went way off-topic. Point being is SWA is only > 2% with a companion pass. Citi TY Premier could be 2.92% with flight points and Drugstore bonus, when redeemed for flights using TYN travel redemption (33% bonus), as kwest pointed out above.

I have a Citi TY Premier card. How do I earn flight points? I know I can get 1.2% on Drugstore purchases and there is a 33% redemption bonus of TY points for flights, but how does flight points factor into all of this?

rated:
dogbyte said:   scripta said:   I don't know what you're saying "no" to, batman.

I have a Citi TY Premier card. How do I earn flight points? I know I can get 1.2% on Drugstore purchases and there is a 33% redemption bonus of TY points for flights, but how does flight points factor into all of this?

you get them when you fly on tickets purchased with the TY card.
you should goto this thread for more info http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/596403/ it's OT here.

rated:
HawkeyeNFO said:   catanpirate said:   Thanks. Does anyone have suggestions for vanilla beans that I can't feed my bluebird for another two weeks?
Put them on a MyVanilla debit card, and take it to your bank/credit union. Ask them to cash it out for the full value. Vanilla may charge you 50 cents for the transaction, but they add the fee after the transaction, not at that time. So you might end up with a 50 cent negative balance on the card.

Have you done this before? For only a 50 cent fee, that's very useful. I wonder if that $1.95 over the counter cash withdrawal fee gets hit too.

https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/myvanilla/fees.html?csrfToken...

rated:
The Vanilla Debit is my workaraound to the limits on Bluebird. The max cash you are allowed to take out is $2500 per day on the MyVanilla debit card. As I said in the above post, you might incur a 50 cent charge, so if you want to avoid it, tell the bank that you want the full value of whatever amount you have on the card (again the max is $2500). Navy Federal doesn't charge anything to do this. I've done it 3 times and Vanilla gave me the 50 cent charge only once, so that card will have a negative balance until they sue me, I'm not using it ever again since my other debit card hasn't incurred any charges yet. The $1.95 doesn't apply here.

rated:
Just a datapoint...I went to 2 walgr33ns and their computer would literally only ring up $3.95 and the remaining cash tender. I also went to 3 ColaVerificationStations and two didn't have any on the shelves, and the one that did tried to ring it up and said cash tender only...also allowing me to only pay $3.95 on a CC.

rated:
robbierob03 said:   Just an FYI for anyone who has trouble opening up a BB account because of an existing Serve account: Just closing the Serve account online was not enough for me (and I waited 2 days trying to sign up for BB online), I had to call in to the Serve help line and have them manually close my account. In addition, I had to have them update my old Serve profile information to match what I wanted in my new BB account before I could finish the registration process with BB.
As previously stated, your BB info MUST match Serve info. So with new address I closed my Serve account and when opening BB account used the old info that I had on my Serve account. Immediately after opening BB account I went in and updated my address to my current address and my BB card arrived to the new address a few days later.

rated:
Got shotdown trying to buy icecream with creditcard at Charlie victor samuels. Where does that option work?

rated:
TheWalL said:   Got shotdown trying to buy icecream with creditcard at Charlie victor samuels. Where does that option work?This has never happened to me. Try another store location.

rated:
dbond79 said:   TheWalL said:   Got shotdown trying to buy icecream with creditcard at Charlie victor samuels. Where does that option work?This has never happened to me. Try another store location.

Same...hardest thing is finding them on shelves. Two stores that had them...only issue I had was where I pre-called fraud on a Citi card and they misheard the dates I was planning on making a purchase. Got the "alternate tender" message on that one, but a call to Citi cleared it up. Also, at one of the stores, manager was telling cashier that only limitation is $1k/day/customer. On the other hand, other store allowed me to get $1500 over two back to back purchases, no problems.

rated:
dbond79 said:   TheWalL said:   Got shotdown trying to buy icecream with creditcard at Charlie victor samuels. Where does that option work?This has never happened to me. Try another store location.

This is the only location around me that carries the icecream. When the cashier scanned the first one, it popped up a message on his screen stating this item will require cash tender....no other forms of payment will be accepted. This is a brand new store with newer POS system thats different from the ones in the other store. I'm wondering if the software loaded on this POS is a sign of things to come at other places as well...

rated:
Yes, I think it's dead. I hit 5 different locations on the same day and got shut down at every one.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014