• 1 2 34530
  • Page
  • Text Only
Multiple ways to use this. Travel blogs have been all over it.

1. Refill with Vanilla Reload. Best done at Office Depot with an Ink card, but they'll be watching for abusers. Also helps meet minimum spend for CC bonuses, just make sure you use the card for other legitimate purchases. Don't just meet the minimum on reload cards.
2. Refill with miles/Cash Back debit card at Wal-Mart for no fee. Only a few options here, but there are some AA, Delta, and Alaskan Airline cards that pay either 1 pt per $1 or 1 pt for $2. Not the best way to get miles, but also free. (There is a fee for reloading via debit online, but not in-store.)
3. Use the card to earn points on things you can't earn points on. Bluebird will cut a check (kind of like ING checking's payment option) to whoever you want. So you can find a way to load the card with Vanilla or reward cards, earn points, and use the money to then payoff things like your mortgage that you usually can't earn points on without paying a hefty fee.

Seems like a winner to me, but abusers will get caught. Take it slow as with any other potentially big deal...

Any reports on how to qualify for DD if you don't have it via employer? Will PayPal ACH work?

How are people getting around this? Feel free to pm.

Spoon... feed... overload...

ironfist99 said:   Spoon... feed... overload...
There is already plenty of information out on blogs and I think it will be shut down relative fast or at least parts of it (Chase anybody).

GermanExpat said:   ironfist99 said:   Spoon... feed... overload...
There is already plenty of information out on blogs and I think it will be shut down relative fast or at least parts of it (Chase anybody).

arrrrg. Spoon feeding.

/pirate exits.

AMEX is supposed to annouce new features early next year which might keep it relevant even if the chase route is shut down. I know I don't want to play with chase, they have too many excellent credit card offers.

anks329 said:   groundhog said:   AMEX does not allow you to open Bluebird if you already have Serve. It seems very stupid to me.
Any idea for workaround?

Cancel Serve and get a Bluebird... If you do this, it takes a few hours for the systems to update and let your bluebird application process.

Hmm, closed my Serve yesterday and more than 24 hours later, still wouldn't let me apply for Bluebird.

Ywah, don't get too thrilled there, sport. My Chase CSR told me that the 5% at office supply stores for Ink Business Bold was capped at $5K yearly. It's still worth 25K UR points, but it's not like it's a bottomless well....

Your chase CS was wrong.
It's a 50k annual limit. Not 5.

And red for calling CS for this. That'll kill it faster than any blogger.

Red for calling CS, and it's 50k for Ink Plus/Ink Bold, for ink basic its only 25k.

Green to imbatman for setting the record strait.

imbatman said:   Your chase CS was wrong.
It's a 50k annual limit. Not 5.

And red for calling CS for this. That'll kill it faster than any blogger.
Oh, pi$$ off and check for status first, OK? All I did was confirm the basics of the rewards plan. It's not like mentioned WalMart or BlueBird or any specific tactic. N00b.

okay so moving forward anybody wanna share some bluebird usage patterns with me and has anybody found an ACH that qualifies for DD yet?

PM is fine if you don't want to post here.

So you called then to ask something that is all over Chase.com for free. They got it wrong. Then you posted here as if it were a true fact.
Did I get that right?
Whatever status your talking about you made three "N00b" mistakes there.

Anyone have issues registering this weekend? I tried to register a new card a couple of times and kept getting the "Technical Difficulty" message.

-Pak

Pak. Do you also have serve? I was getting technical difficulties until I closed my serve account.

imbatman said:   Pak. Do you also have serve? I was getting technical difficulties until I closed my serve account.

You could try a different email than Serve (got the card today)

Some people claim you can't have Serve and Bluebird, but I presently have both. Unlike Serve, you can't send or load funds w. a credit card.

Without either a 5% at Office Depot credit card or a OD near my home any more, the benefits per $500 are not exciting. But with elderly parents, there are other benefits to having a prepaid card that can be reloaded essentially for free without direct deposit (using the free check deposit from phone). So I'm in for one.

Has anybody been able to get a VRN card at 7-11 with a credit card, or do they insist on cash.

Lokimoki, How did you manage both accounts? I am getting error msg for my Serve account.

Used different email address. It does not work either.

Is there anywhere to buy Vanilla cards online other than WalMart? Also, anybody get a slow BlueBird confirmation email? I received the welcome email immediately, but haven't seen the confirmation in a day (even asked to resubmit it).

Data point. Went to an Office Depot here in Northern Virginia on Tuesday and they had no Vanilla Reloads for sale. I ran into a fellow FatWalleteer who also said he was looking for them., Went to a different OD this AM and same story: display is all out. Plenty of Vanilla cards; no reloads.

While I'm there, a cashier comes over, looks at the display, pulls a Vanilla card and takes it back to his station. He talks on the fone for a few minutes, then hangs up and returns to replace the Vanilla card. I say

"Let me guess: someone wants to know if you have any Vanilla reloads for sale?"
"Yes. I guess there's some promotion on them."
Me" "Hm. So you don't have any? Maybe some that have to be restocked?"
Him: "No. In fact, we were told to pull them and destroy them about 10 days ago...."

kenblakely said:   "No. In fact, we were told to pull them and destroy them about 10 days ago...."

I presume OD loses money on every one of these sold via CC right? They must pay what, a $10 interchange fee on the transaction, and only a $3.95 fee is collected - and I presume Vanilla is taking a cut someplace too. Just curious how the business model must work.

How does loading with a debit card at WalMart work?
Is there a kiosk? OR you just go up to a register and say you want to reload for X amount of money? I'm envisioning blank stares from the cashiers.

dl73 said:   kenblakely said:   "No. In fact, we were told to pull them and destroy them about 10 days ago...."

I presume OD loses money on every one of these sold via CC right? They must pay what, a $10 interchange fee on the transaction, and only a $3.95 fee is collected - and I presume Vanilla is taking a cut someplace too. Just curious how the business model must work.

Business model:

1. Merchant gets a flat kickback from Vanilla on each card they sell, thus making it worth their while. You can bet your last dollar that OD is not losing money selling Vanilla cards.
2. Vanilla makes money
a. collecting interchange fees
b. on the float
c. on the money people forget about, abandon or lose

My guess is most money is made on b, followed by c, followed by a.

kenblakely said:   Data point. Went to an Office Depot here in Northern Virginia on Tuesday and they had no Vanilla Reloads for sale. I ran into a fellow FatWalleteer who also said he was looking for them., Went to a different OD this AM and same story: display is all out. Plenty of Vanilla cards; no reloads.

While I'm there, a cashier comes over, looks at the display, pulls a Vanilla card and takes it back to his station. He talks on the fone for a few minutes, then hangs up and returns to replace the Vanilla card. I say

Him: "No. In fact, we were told to pull them and destroy them about 10 days ago...."

Wow okay, guess the deals dead then - no more vanilla cards :p (i'll play along lol).

Well, unless you can come up with another office supply place - or another place that gets you 5x points with a credit card - that sells the Vanilla reloads, then yeah: most of the goodness here is gone. That's how I'm seeing it at least.

Are other people still finding Vanilla reloads at Office Depot?

kenblakely said:   Well, unless you can come up with another office supply place - or another place that gets you 5x points with a credit card - that sells the Vanilla reloads, then yeah: most of the goodness here is gone. That's how I'm seeing it at least.

Are other people still finding Vanilla reloads at Office Depot?

Even if you can find a place that sells this, it's still a net positive for just about any card.
3.95 load for $500 is under 1%. Use a 2% card, and you're still netting 1%+ on all payments.

kenblakely said:   Data point. Went to an Office Depot here in Northern Virginia on Tuesday and they had no Vanilla Reloads for sale. I ran into a fellow FatWalleteer who also said he was looking for them., Went to a different OD this AM and same story: display is all out. Plenty of Vanilla cards; no reloads.

Which location in northern VA was this?

This OD Vanilla reload trick...I see PayPower by Meta Bank thing in one of grocery stores...looks similar to the Vanilla reload...and I assume it works the same way. Just an idea.

Haplo859 said:   kenblakely said:   Data point. Went to an Office Depot here in Northern Virginia on Tuesday and they had no Vanilla Reloads for sale. I ran into a fellow FatWalleteer who also said he was looking for them., Went to a different OD this AM and same story: display is all out. Plenty of Vanilla cards; no reloads.

Which location in northern VA was this?
Bailey's Crossroads and Groveton

siliconbd said:   Lokimoki, How did you manage both accounts? I am getting error msg for my Serve account.

No clue about allowing both accounts. I haven't bought anything with Bluebird yet. Just activated it a few days ago.

lokimoki said:   siliconbd said:   Lokimoki, How did you manage both accounts? I am getting error msg for my Serve account.

No clue about allowing both accounts. I haven't bought anything with Bluebird yet. Just activated it a few days ago.

I have both serve and bluebird as well, no idea how though.

Did you use a different address/email/nickname? anything else?? I think they verify based on your informtaion on the signup form.

vagrants said:   This OD Vanilla reload trick...I see PayPower by Meta Bank thing in one of grocery stores...looks similar to the Vanilla reload...and I assume it works the same way. Just an idea.

Did they let you charge it?

siliconbd said:   Did you use a different address/email/nickname? anything else?? I think they verify based on your informtaion on the signup form.

Yes to all 3.

Has anyone tried and had success with using the mobile app to deposit a check? I have tried numerous times with perfect images but my images keep getting rejected. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bdard said:   Has anyone tried and had success with using the mobile app to deposit a check? I have tried numerous times with perfect images but my images keep getting rejected. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had a sh*tload of a time trying to make a mobile check deposit as my first deposit. I was about to give up when the images were finally accepted. I was bracing my cellphone on top of a book on the floor to prevent any shaking while I had the check taped to the wall in bright light. I needed all the skill of Hollywood's best cameramen to make it work.

I won't be doing this again. I set up the ACH stuff with my checking account afterward.

Does anyone know if opening this card will put a hard inquiry on your credit report? I've heard that happens when opening some bank accounts.

TrueValue said:   Does anyone know if opening this card will put a hard inquiry on your credit report? I've heard that happens when opening some bank accounts.

Not with me. The video on the website mentions no credit review. That's the only reason I went ahead and applied. But they do ask for your SSN.

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 1 2 34530
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014