Got Discover Cashback to burn?

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Greetings Fatwalleteers!

So, I have been looking for awhile for a good way to use my Discover Cash Back. I really wish that Shell promotion would come back. Well anyway, I settled on Crutchfield.com.

They are generally overpriced but if you are looking for one of those items that is pretty much the same price everywhere, you can score a good deal. You can get gift certificates at 80% of face value ($40 for $50) and get them instantly.

In my case, I got a $250 sound bar(YAS-101) less $20 (coupon 3A172, doesn't work on everything) and then bought $200 if e-certificates for $160 Discover CashBack. I ended up getting the sound-bar for $190. I also used Fatwallet 2% CashBack, not sure if I will get 2% of the whole $230 or just the $30 I paid for.

Other ideas:
Bose Soundlink $269 - $50 savings = $219 (really anything Bose is hard to find at Discount)
All the ZVOX soundbars, they are hard to find at any discount

Just thought I would share.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Can I do
Lowe's GC and buy other GCs (BB, AMZN) at Lowe's?

4RainyDays (Apr. 12, 2013 @ 1:03a) |

Covered in other threads - no, Lowe's registers won't allow it.

mactv (Apr. 12, 2013 @ 1:29a) |

I get the Starbucks gift cards. $45 gets you $50.
Not the greatest deal, no, but I with two starbucks near my work I pre... (more)

Kanosh (Apr. 12, 2013 @ 5:00a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Klauven said:   Greetings Fatwalleteers!

So, I have been looking for awhile for a good way to use my Discover Cash Back. I really wish that Shell promotion would come back. Well anyway, I settled on Crutchfield.com.

They are generally overpriced but if you are looking for one of those items that is pretty much the same price everywhere, you can score a good deal. You can get gift certificates at 80% of face value ($40 for $50) and get them instantly.

In my case, I got a $250 sound bar(YAS-101) less $20 (coupon 3A172, doesn't work on everything) and then bought $200 if e-certificates for $160 Discover CashBack. I ended up getting the sound-bar for $190. I also used Fatwallet 2% CashBack, not sure if I will get 2% of the whole $230 or just the $30 I paid for.

Other ideas:
Bose Soundlink $269 - $50 savings = $219 (really anything Bose is hard to find at Discount)
All the ZVOX soundbars, they are hard to find at any discount

Just thought I would share.

I'm still waiting for the Shell promotion to return. :-D

I prefer statement credit. I don't see how buying anything (that I don't otherwise buy) for the sake of redeeming a bonus is a good deal.

I just spend it at Amazon.

SPLS gc's --> FAR --> $$$

My favorite is to buy Lands End e-certificates ($40CB->$50 LE GC or $80CB->$100LE GC).
I wait for one of Lands End 40% off coupon codes, click through a rebater, and redeem the GC. I'm usually buying enough that shipping is free.

I have three boys, and the Lands End quality is wonderful, especially on the backpacks.

Sam's Club is my choice. Redeemable at Wal-Mart or Sam's Club (WM for me, since I've let my Sam's membership lapse) is almost as good as cash. $50 for $40 is icing on the cake. Sure, I'd love to see something like that Shell deal again, that's why I'm keeping $250 of CashBack in our accounts. You never know...

Chris.

Sam's Club can't be beat.

Staples, $20 for $25, tons of stuff always for sale that is FAR. If you follow the Staples threads in Hot Deals, you'll make money and get some free stuff along with it too.

Whats the shell deal that everyones talking about? Can someone fill me in?

My fav. used to be Staples giftcrds at 20% off, to buy hard drives.
Now my fav. is pep boys gift cards at 20% off, to get timing belt changes.

Chatterbox, Discover was selling (I think) $40 Shell gas cards for $20 in Discover CashBack rewards. Even if you assume a Shell station is 5% higher than you'd get elsewhere and you can get 5% back using a good card, it was still almost as good as cash, but at $1.90 per $1 of reward dollars. It was a limited number of cards for a limited time, and the deal is long gone, but was quite awesome. I had something like $160 in rewards dollars at the time.

tooldogg1 said:   Sam's Club can't be beat.

what Sam's Club? I only see $40 membership + $10 gift card. That is not the same as $50 gift.

I use it for Banana Republic

I went to check the Sam's Club/WalMart deal based on messages here, but unfortunately....

>>>>Offer Currently Unavailable

This offer is currently unavailable for rewards redemption. If you would like to redeem for this offer, please check back later. Please call 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683) if you have further questions.
<<<<<

If you shop at Staples, that's the place to spend your discover CashBack. $25 for $20 means everything is always 20% off. You can transform your giftcards to rewards with free after rewards deals on paper, batteries, boxes, backpacks, and school supplies. You can monetize rewards via free after rebate antivirus downloads and the like. The rebates can be other gift cards, paypal deposits, or old fashioned checks. Of course, these can be plowed right back into more Staples purchases until you are a premier rewards member which doubled the ink you can recycle and gives you six months to redeem rewards.

At the end of the day, you get free paper, computers, and ink plus a lot of your CashBack wrings out as gift cards than can be re-spent. This afternoon, I'm going to take $183 in rewards plus a $50 coupon plus a $100 gift card into Staples to see if I can't pick up an inexpensive desktop. While I'm there, I'll drop off 20 ink carts for $40 in rewards.

tomprc said:   tooldogg1 said:   Sam's Club can't be beat.

what Sam's Club? I only see $40 membership + $10 gift card. That is not the same as $50 gift.

I know that's what it looks like, but the "$40 membership" is just a $40 gift card; you can use it on anything.

But drdobro is correct, it's currently unavailable. I hope that's only a temporary situation...

Chris.

chatterbox22 said:   Whats the shell deal that everyones talking about? Can someone fill me in?

May 2011, you could buy $40 Shell card for $20 using your Cash Back. It was around Memorial Day. I bought 8.

South Floridians have a great gas deal down here. I'm sure everyone already knows if you are a local (but just in case).....
every two weeks or so Publix grocery stores run a promo of spend $50 get a $50 gas card for $40. No limit to how many you can get even in a single purchase. I majorly stock up of papertowels, cat food, water, and all the other things I constantly use. Then I get 10 gas cards in one shopping trip.

I am still waiting for shell gc

mom2jel said:   My favorite is to buy Lands End e-certificates ($40CB->$50 LE GC or $80CB->$100LE GC).
I wait for one of Lands End 40% off coupon codes, click through a rebater, and redeem the GC. I'm usually buying enough that shipping is free.

I have three boys, and the Lands End quality is wonderful, especially on the backpacks.

As an added bonus, you can use your Lands End GCs at Sears and Kmart, although I am finding that returns at the two that require crediting the GC can be a hassle.

I get the lands end cards and redeem them at Sears or Kmart for BP gas cards.

I'm waiting on Shell GC as well. I have enough CB in there to buy 6.

+1 Shell GC
-1 Crutchfield (I don't need to buy more stuff already have too much junk as it is, I believe that I have OCD so I quit buying stuff)

vegas4x4 said:   I just spend it at Amazon.Yes, and may I ask how's it better than cash?

Besides, for the time being you can get Amazon GCs at supermarkets or drugstores with 5-6% CashBack using different CCs, so you're in negative redeeming Discover points at Amazon

neophyte said:   vegas4x4 said:   I just spend it at Amazon.Yes, and may I ask how's it better than cash?

Besides, for the time being you can get Amazon GCs at supermarkets or drugstores with 5-6% CashBack using different CCs, so you're in negative redeeming Discover points at Amazon

Major advantage (if you do not accumulate Discover points rapidly and will take a long time to reach $50) is that you can redeem only a few points on items at Amazon. Also, for miles, you do not have to wait for a trip costing over $100 to redeem.

I often buy used books for $.01 (plus 3.99 shipping) and they can be covered by Discover points.

Discover points and miles usually accumulate slowly because other cards are so much more generous. Discover is used only for things like "Send Money", and 5% quarterly promotions (which are usually no better than other cards quarterly promotions).

cpaynter said:   tomprc said:   tooldogg1 said:   Sam's Club can't be beat.what Sam's Club? I only see $40 membership + $10 gift card. That is not the same as $50 gift.I know that's what it looks like, but the "$40 membership" is just a $40 gift card; you can use it on anything.
But drdobro is correct, it's currently unavailable. I hope that's only a temporary situation...

Chris.
It's available in my account as of the moment. And a $40 gift card + a $10 gift card are, in fact, the same as a $50 gift card. Like Clinton said, "It's Arithmetic." They work at Wallmart, too.

From Discover's Redeem CashBack Bonus page:

"If you are a current Samís Club Member, the membership card has a $40 value and can also be used for merchandise at Samís Club in addition to the $10 Samís Club gift card."

bargainhunter3 said:   chatterbox22 said:   Whats the shell deal that everyones talking about? Can someone fill me in?

May 2011, you could buy $40 Shell card for $20 using your Cash Back. It was around Memorial Day. I bought 8.

whaaat? How did I miss this? I just burned 700$ CBB and only have like 400 left...better start saving up again

bpydimer said:   I prefer statement credit. I don't see how buying anything (that I don't otherwise buy) for the sake of redeeming a bonus is a good deal.

Unless they've changed the terms, you're hurting your own CashBack with statement credits.

In the past (and I'm assuming now) when they calculate the CashBack for that month they do it like this:

Assumptions-$1000 spent that statement period, $100 statement credit, 2% CashBack rate

We would normally think it works like this:

$1000(balance) x 2% (CashBack rate)=$20 (CashBack earned) THEN $1000 (balance)-$100(statement credit)=$900 due

When in fact it works like this:

$1000(balance)-$100 (statement credit) x 2% (CashBack rate)=$18 (CashBack earned) THEN $900 due

In this example you're cheating yourself out of two dollars.

So for many of us, it is worth getting the gift card with maybe 10% more value, plus not cannibalizing our own CashBack. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

edit:fixed a label

jmorgans said:   I get the lands end cards and redeem them at Sears or Kmart for BP gas cards.i'm surprised that works. i tried using a jcp GC to purchase some other GC's at jcp, and it didn't work. is just Sears more relaxed on how the GC is spent? thanks,

I just collect mine to see how much I can collect =/

Ughh...I didn't realize Crutchfield is on Discover. I ordered lens from them on Monday. So, you can stack multiple e-coupons in a single order? I plan to order a camera from them soon. Thanks.

Snyder81 said:   
I'm still waiting for the Shell promotion to return. :-D

Not seen since May 2011 and not in this year's cycle plan so I assume gone for ever

I have enough to get 20 cards waiting ... till year end then Staples it will be ... to ready for the jan-feb FAR items ...

matthewk said:   jmorgans said:   I get the lands end cards and redeem them at Sears or Kmart for BP gas cards.i'm surprised that works. i tried using a jcp GC to purchase some other GC's at jcp, and it didn't work. is just Sears more relaxed on how the GC is spent? thanks,http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1001041/

elist said:   bpydimer said:   I prefer statement credit. I don't see how buying anything (that I don't otherwise buy) for the sake of redeeming a bonus is a good deal.

Unless they've changed the terms, you're hurting your own CashBack with statement credits.

There is a direct deposit option (maybe new) that appears to have the same redemption rates as statement credits. Should prevent the Cash Back cannibalization.

I find that even getting Cash Back is a waste. Getting the $50 Sam's Club for $40 can usually be flipped right away to Plastic Jungle for $45.

I redeem GAP cards most of time. It is 20% off. Then wait for tax free day or holiday season to spend and buy cloth for whole seasons.

Thrilla said:   I find that even getting Cash Back is a waste. Getting the $50 Sam's Club for $40 can usually be flipped right away to Plastic Jungle for $45.

Sam's Club back in stock.

DO NOT, cash out in statement credit or 1 to 1 Amazon like people are suggesting. Discover bonus is the only reward I have that I consider more valuable than cash. I netted over $600 from the Shell deal.

Patience. Wait for the deals to drop... In the meantime the $20 for $40 at car rentals has given me some real deals on 1-2 day car rentals. $40 for $100 off 2 night Hyatt and Cruise deals might be promising.

JTFH said:   DO NOT, cash out in statement credit or 1 to 1 Amazon like people are suggesting. Discover bonus is the only reward I have that I consider more valuable than cash. I netted over $600 from the Shell deal.

Patience. Wait for the deals to drop... In the meantime the $20 for $40 at car rentals has given me some real deals on 1-2 day car rentals. $40 for $100 off 2 night Hyatt and Cruise deals might be promising.

OMG, you are redeeming for car rentals? do you know that if you use that your credit card insurance for rental car is gone?

$20 for $40 at car rentals is worth nothing!

Skipping 32 Messages...
I get the Starbucks gift cards. $45 gets you $50.
Not the greatest deal, no, but I with two starbucks near my work I pretty reliably get something there every morning.
I don't buy that much other "stuff" therefore I have no interest in gc's from other stores, even at good discounts. I've lost/forgotten about a couple of gc's in the past that are from places I don't go to regularly, so unless it is something I know I can use on a regular basis, I don't want the giftcard.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014