• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
tony6730 said:   Glitch99 said:   tony6730 said:   Glitch99 said:   
If you aren't making what you are worth, why are you waiting "a few years" before moving on? Get a new job, that pays you what you are worth, now.

But if by "not making enough" you mean you arent able to buy everything you want, that has nothing to do with the value of your job or what you are worth to the company - that's your problem, not your employer's.

I feel as if 2 years experience is necessary before I start looking elsewhere. I want to be established and have over 2 years experience before I would move on.

You still dont answer the question - if you think it'll take 2 years experience for anyone else to pay you what you want, why would you expect your current employer to pay you that amount without having that 2 years experience?

because they know me and the quality of my work.

Is $55,000 really an unreasonable salary for a guy who is no longer in an entry level role, has a bachelors degree, and does a good job at work, while living in a high COL area? I don't think so.
Are you a seller or a servicer? Do you generate revenue or are you a cost center? If the latter, you are replaceable.

Its impossible to say without really knowing the situation. It sounds like they are prepared to offer you a nice raise. That's great. The only one who knows how much your worth is you but people overestimate their skills. If you are some rock star at work, and want a big fat raise, you'd better be damned sure of your market value (have another job offer in hand) before you play hardball. IF you have another offer or are 100% certain youbare worth X, then tell them- be prepared to walk.come more beurocratic companies simply cannot generally offer a 20%-30% raise like that. Often times the only way to get a big pay hike is to move jobs.

Why don't you tell us what you really do? It's not just how well you can do the job. It's also how many people can do it as well as you.

Despite what others have said, I think you should push for a salary in line with the market. The idea is that it helps both parties ensure that they are being appreciated for the work they are doing. It says to you that you are valued and it tells the employer that they've got a good employee, because he can command a market-based salary. Just because you're younger doesn't mean you will produce less - if you've been here a year or two, you have likely picked up on 80% of the technical things you need to learn for that role. Someone with 10 years of experience will no doubt be a little more polished, fluent, and have a lot more experience, and at the same time, it becomes marginal after a certain point. (On a technical basis... softer skills may not have as much of a barrier)

Make sure you're fairly compensated, otherwise I would consider looking at competitors in the future.

I know that I wouldn't have taken this advice at your age, but honestly, as someone who was in what sounds like your exact position, you are prepping yourself for WAY too much of a bump in pay. As I've matured and grown through moving employers to get more money, I've realized that you'd be LUCKY to get a 10% bump in pay with a promotion (if you can even get that much).

I too was once an entitled fresh faced millennial straight out of college, expecting big things, but the problem is that no one tells you that you are expecting way too much. That's not necessarily your fault, but I recommend you take some of the feedback you've received thus far to heart. The mockery you have received, while not necessarily just, should be informing you that your expectations are too high. Your HR department doesn't care what "Market" is, they care what your experience is, and in the scheme of things you have 1 year of experience (not even).

So, IF you get a promotion, bite your tongue and take it graciously, and instead of negotiating for more money off the bat, try to negotiate for a formal review with raise potential every 6 months. That compounding money will take you further than coming across as an ungrateful entitled kid.

I know this, because I had set my expectations for 10%, and when I didn't get it, I showed it. My boss read my face and knew I wasn't happy. Luckily he was awesome, and I talked it through with him. I felt like an idiot, and I called him later that night to apologize for how I acted.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014