• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have my mother in law stays with me and i pay all her expenses. Can i pay 1000$ to her for taking care of my 5 year old during some week in summer?
I also claim her as dependent on my 1040 form. She doesn't have any other income.

Question:
1) can I claim her as dependent if i just pay her 1000 for year?
2) does she need to file any forms as she got 1000 income for the year?
3) can i claim those money in FSA what i paid her ?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I am pretty sure that if they are a dependent, then you cant claim a deduction/credit//disbursement from a tax-free fund for childcare.

You can pay her any amount you want. She has to treat is as income. If that income, or other income puts her over the filing limit, then she has to file.

techwomen said:   I have my mother in law stays with me and i pay all her expenses. Can i pay 1000$ to her for taking care of my 5 year old during some week in summer?
I also claim her as dependent on my 1040 form. She doesn't have any other income.

Question:
1) can I claim her as dependent if i just pay her 1000 for year?
2) does she need to file any forms as she got 1000 income for the year?

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p929/ar02.html#en_US_2011_publin...

Thanks , i think that explains it

techwomen said:   ...

No. If you claim your mother in law as a dependent then you can not use FSA money to pay her for child care.

Is there a limit to how much you can claim for dependent care? I saw that it's $3,000 to care for 1 person/child and $6,000 for 2 or more. Does that mean that you can pay your mother-in-law up to $6K (for 2 children) and claim the dependent care deduction instead of claiming her as a dependent and then have her file taxes on that $6K? There should be no income tax on that $6K but she may have to pay self employment tax (Social Security and Medicare).

Dependent care FSA maxes out at $5,000.

There are two different things here.

Dependent care credit has a $6000 limit for married family on expenses you can claim.
FSAs have a $5000 limit.

They are separate benefits, you can do one or the other.

Yes, there is the Dependent Care FSA (5,000 max) and the Dependent/Child Care Tax credit. There are online calculators that compare the two, but in most cases, the Dependent Care FSA wins out. Ideally, OP would use the dependent care FSA, but the caregiver is OP's dependent too, so no go.

I think we are overlooking something. OP declares her as a dependent. IF her "earnings" exceed half her income support, he looses the dependent deduction. At least that is the way it used to be.
I'm not sure what the numbers are, but MIL and OP would be on the hook for Social Security and Medicare taxes / withholding if earning over $300.00 per year. I'm thinking that those additional taxes would really dent any gain from the options OP is looking over.

*** Please allow while the basic comment is on solid ground, it has been a while since I knew the current trigger numbers.

Give her the money as a gift. Be done.

How old is your MIL? Does she not receive SS?

I just researched this a bit for *my* MIL, who is not a dependent (doesn't live with us).

Still can't use a dependent care FSA. That's only for real daycare centers.

Could qualify for child tax credit. Would have to fill out a form 2441 I think.

We'd almost definitely have to give her a W-2 or 1099 for the payments, so she'd have to pay her income taxes on that.

Man, i wish my baby could just get a job and be done with it.

we were able to use FSA for a nanny that we household employed. We paid her regularly and paid/witheld all appropriate taxes (FUTA, FICA, state unemployment), and submitted documentation to our employer, who accepted that and paid out the FSA benefit.

psychtobe said:   we were able to use FSA for a nanny that we household employed. We paid her regularly and paid/witheld all appropriate taxes (FUTA, FICA, state unemployment), and submitted documentation to our employer, who accepted that and paid out the FSA benefit.
looks like it's a restriction of just my employer's dependent care FSA, so probably my bad.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014