• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Apparently a large class action suite is in the process of making settlement funds available to select claimants:

The main site with details and an online claim form is here.

See here for distribution information.

---------------

Below is what the claim form will present to each filer:

---------------

PART 1: QUALIFICATIONS

*Did you reside in one of the following states or the District of C_olumbia between January 1, 1999 and December 31, 2006: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, West Virginia and Wisconsin?

*2. Did you buy a television, monitor and/or notebook computer containing an LCD Flat Panel within one of these states or the District of C_olumbia, for your own use and not for resale, while residing in that state or the District of C_olumbia between January 1, 1999 and December 31, 2006?

*3. Did you buy a television, monitor and/or notebook computer containing an LCD Flat Panel from a company other than the following LCD Flat Panel manufacturers: AU Optronics, Chimei, Chunghwa, Epson, HannStar, Hitachi, LG, Samsung, Sharp or T_oshiba? For example, if you purchased one of these products from a retailer like Best Buy or a computer manufacturer like D_ell, your answer should be "Yes." The brand of product does not change your answer. So, if you bought a Samsung-branded television or a T_oshiba-branded notebook computer from Best Buy your answer is still "Yes." However, for example, if your only purchase was a television or notebook computer bought directly from Samsung or T_oshiba, your answer would be "No."

PART 2: PURCHASES
*In the fields below, please enter the total number of the following products you purchased from January 1, 1999 through December 31, 2006
containing an LCD Flat Panel:
*Total Number of Televisions:
*Total Number of Monitors:
*Total Number of Notebooks:

Certification

By clicking "I (We) Certify" below, I (We) certify that the information I have set forth in the foregoing online Claim Form is true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge. I (We) certify that I (we) purchased # televisions, # monitors and/or # notebook computers containing an LCD Flat Panel in January 1, 1999 - December 31, 2006.

I am not an officer, director, agent, or employee of any of the Defendants in this litigation (AU Optronics, Chimei, Chunghwa, Epson, Hannstar, Hitachi, LG, Samsung, Sharp, T_oshiba) or an immediate family member of such persons; and I am not a judge or a member of the Judge's staff in this lawsuit or an immediate family member of such persons; and I have not requested to be excluded from the Classes or Attorneys General Actions.

I certify that the foregoing information supplied by the undersigned is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Is this settlement targeted?

Submitted.

i dont know about giving th last 4 of SSN to some random site...

importcf said:   i dont know about giving th last 4 of SSN to some random site...

I ignored that part.

importcf said:   i dont know about giving th last 4 of SSN to some random site...
Not required.

Thank you for the heads up on this. I (my household) actually bought quite a few that would qualify during this period (3 TV's, 3 notebooks and 4 monitors). I am not holding my breath for any payout but this is a nice surprise if it does come through.

Thank You. Just 1 notebook claimed .

AugustFour said:   Is this settlement targeted?Targeted as in 'invitation only'? Anyone meeting the qualifications as shown in the OP is 'invited' unless they took action to exclude themselves from the class membership or do so now (a couple ways remain to do that for a subset of the class). Generally speaking, no, this isn't targeted in the way that I understand you to mean.

==========

Deadline to submit claims is 12/6.

---

Even though the distribution write up sounds like the funds are already sitting in an escrow account and chomping at the bit to find new homes, the site FAQ soberly states:

"Payments will be distributed after the Court grants final approval to the new Settlements and after any appeals are resolved. If the Court approves the new Settlements after a hearing on November 29, 2012, there may be appeals. We donít know how much time it could take to resolve any appeals that may be filed. In order to receive a payment you must file a valid claim."

For those of you who don't bother with these... my last class action settlement check in my mailbox was for $6,700.

Yeah, you read that right.

Crazytree said:   For those of you who don't bother with these... my last class action settlement check in my mailbox was for $6,700.

That's a lot of TV's...

Crazytree said:   For those of you who don't bother with these... my last class action settlement check in my mailbox was for $6,700.

Zoinks! $6.70 or $67.00 is probably still more typical, no?

At any rate, the claimants here are capped at "three times ... estimated money damages". I suppose that is out of some concern that a relatively small pool of validated claimants could see a windfall otherwise. Drat.

The site also mentions that TV panels are considered to be preferred in some way without much detail on that point. My WAG is that most claimants, even with multiple items, should be thinking well south of $100 potential benefit.

itsausername said:   Crazytree said:   For those of you who don't bother with these... my last class action settlement check in my mailbox was for $6,700.

Zoinks! $6.70 or $67.00 is probably still more typical, no?

At any rate, the claimants here are capped at "three times ... estimated money damages". I suppose that is out of some concern that a relatively small pool of validated claimants could see a windfall otherwise. Drat.

The site also mentions that TV panels are considered to be preferred in some way without much detail on that point. My WAG is that most claimants, even with multiple items, should be thinking well south of $100 potential benefit.
Honestly when I filled out the claim form, I couldn't understand what the claim was for... and I'm a lawyer. I figured it was worth maybe $5. Apparently my old apartment building's management company was illegally recording calls... people got up to $10k. And honestly... I almost disregarded the notice.

From the bottom of the first link:

Eligible consumers and businesses in 24 states and the District of Columbia may be able to collect $25, $100, $200 or more by answering a few simple questions about the LCD flat screen TVs, monitors, and laptops they bought from 1999 to 2006.

I got $167 or something from Reebok about those toners i bought for gramma n xwife ...

Plus i already did this one a while ago...

Does this case have any merit? I got a really good deal on the TV I bought during the class period. I'm not sure how I was harmed in any way getting this good deal. Are the defendants simply paying to make this "go away" and will pass the costs of this onto future product sales?

I understand its effectively free money and the lawyers will get paid either way. But I really wish there was a way to voice my displeasure that the suit was brought in the first place.

I understand people like new thread to draw attention and may have missed the original one but this is 2+ months old: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1170656/m1715887...

circular reference!!! I'm stuck in an endless circle between threads.

RedCelicaGT said:   circular reference!!! I'm stuck in an endless circle between threads.

You'll never get to the end... much like the asymptotic reference in your avatar.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014