• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have had a Chase INK card for a few years paying 2% on office supplies gas and restaurants, and 1% on everything else.

But recently I have noticed Chase INK web ads as I brouse entertainment sites that offer 5% for office supply purchases, so I called Chase to see if I could upgrade.

I was told there are many new Chase INK cards to pick from which offer "5-2-1" which means 5% back on some things, 2% back on other catagories, and 1% on all else. Some have an annual fee, some have none.

I am posting this to say it was easy to upgrade from a 2%-1% card, to a 5-2-1 card. I picked 5% on office suppiles and utilities, but there were other choices.

Each card has a specific name such as INK Bold Plus, INK World Plus, INK World Bold, etc. The names are similar and confuse things, so it is easier just to ask to change to a "5-2-1 INK rewards card with no annual fee".

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If you can spend 5k in 3 months, don't call to upgrade. Just apply for the new one. Only newly applied-for cards can get the signing bonus.

If you're maxed out on credit line with Chase, you can always offer to have your old Ink closed in order for the new card to be approved (often with the same size credit line as the old card being closed).

I'm not really sure anything here is news other than your statement that you "selected" 5% back on certain categories and that you had "other choices"

To the best of my knowledge the INK cards have the following 5-2-1 scheme:

5x office supplies, wireless services, landline communications and cable services
2x gas and lodging
1x everywhere else

The no-fee cards have this up to 25K annual, the paid cards have up to 50K.

If the OP, or anyone else has any info to back-up that you can choose different categories, please provide that information, as being able to choose a different 5x category on an INK card would be a *major* breakthrough.

thanks

BenH said:   I'm not really sure anything here is news other than your statement that you "selected" 5% back on certain categories and that you had "other choices"

To the best of my knowledge the INK cards have the following 5-2-1 scheme:

5x office supplies, wireless services, landline communications and cable services
2x gas and lodging
1x everywhere else

The no-fee cards have this up to 25K annual, the paid cards have up to 50K.

If the OP, or anyone else has any info to back-up that you can choose different categories, please provide that information, as being able to choose a different 5x category on an INK card would be a *major* breakthrough.

thanks

There's one tidbit in there that I'm not sure it's new or a typo, and i'd like more clarification from the OP
you said ... "INK Bold Plus, INK World Plus, INK World Bold"

I know there's:
Chase Ink Bold: 5X office, 5x Phone, Cellular, Internet, 2x gas, 2x hotels, up to $50K per year in spend, after 50k spend, rewards goto 1x. $95 annual fee
Chase Ink Plus: 5X office, 5x Phone, Cellular, Internet, 2x gas, 2x hotels, up to $50K per year in spend, after 50k spend, rewards goto 1x. $95 annual fee
Chase Ink Classic: 5X office, 5x Phone, Cellular, Internet, 2x gas, 2x hotels, up to $25K per year in spend, after 25k spend, rewards goto 1x. No annual fee.
Chase Ink Cash: 5X office, 5x Phone, Cellular, Internet, 2x gas, 2x restaurants, up to $25K per year in spend, after 25k spend, rewards goto 1x. No annual fee.

However, your naming scheme indicates there are two "Plus" cards. I've never heard of an "Ink Bold Plus". The Bold is a charge card, the Plus is a credit card.
Is there a third "ink Bold Plus" card out there that offers something different? Or did you just have a typo?

imbatman said:   
There's one tidbit in there that I'm not sure it's new or a typo, and i'd like more clarification from the OP

I know there's:
Chase Ink Bold: 5X office, 5x Phone, Cellular, Internet, 2x gas, 2x hotels, up to $50K per year in spend, after 50k spend, rewards goto 1x. $95 annual fee
Chase Ink Plus: 5X office, 5x Phone, Cellular, Internet, 2x gas, 2x hotels, up to $50K per year in spend, after 50k spend, rewards goto 1x. $95 annual fee
Chase Ink Classic: 5X office, 5x Phone, Cellular, Internet, 2x gas, 2x hotels, up to $25K per year in spend, after 25k spend, rewards goto 1x. No annual fee.
Chase Ink Cash: 5X office, 5x Phone, Cellular, Internet, 2x gas, 2x restaurants, up to $25K per year in spend, after 25k spend, rewards goto 1x. No annual fee.

However, your naming scheme indicates there are two "Plus" cards. I've never heard of an "Ink Bold Plus". The Bold is a charge card, the Plus is a credit card.
Is there a third "ink Bold Plus" card out there that offers something different? Or did you just have a typo?

Good point that you bring up the InkCash. The OP is stating "Cash Back" not 5x points.

I suppose it is possible that the InkCash might be allowing you to choose one of the categories. It is the only card that offers 2x on restaurants and not hotels like the point cards.

In any case - being able to choose a 5x category in Cash OR Points back would make this interesting - but as I have never heard this before, I think the OP may have either misspoke or been misinformed.

BenH said:   
In any case - being able to choose a 5x category in Cash OR Points back would make this interesting - but as I have never heard this before, I think the OP may have either misspoke or been misinformed.

I'm fairly certain you are correct. The Ink family of cards are pretty well analyzed. If there was a product with the ability to choose, it would be everyone's favorite.

Also, technically 5x UR points is 5% CB IF you redeem UR for cash. But that's for suckers

imbatman said:   BenH said:   

I'm fairly certain you are correct. The Ink family of cards are pretty well analyzed. If there was a product with the ability to choose, it would be everyone's favorite.

Also, technically 5x UR points is 5% CB IF you redeem UR for cash. But that's for suckers

You're right - but because there are both true CB cards from INK - I feel it is important to make the distinction when talking about them. Since, as you mention, 5x points is much better than 5% CB

I just switched my INK card from a 20% bonus point on all purchases to the 5x points. I don't have a lot of spend on that card. 5K in spend would net me 1K in bonus points, now a $200 phone bill nets me the same.

However, I was dumb and should have applied for a new card for the signing bonus because it was under my Company's EIN and wouldn't have affected my credit. So, I might look to get another one for the bonus offer once my AMEX Plat target spend is done

imbatman said:   

I know there's:

I recall most clearly the card that attracted me -- the card I picked. Yes, I am fuzzy on the others, but I do recall that I could pick either Visa or MC, there was a 5% option for hotel and travel, and every option for no foriegn transaction fee would have an annual fee. And I recall there was a non-credit charge card option, but its 5-2-1 was not attactive for me.

Today I received a confirmation in the mail.

The confirmation states the 5% and 2% bonuses have a $25,000 annual spending limit, but the 1% and 10% UltimateRewards spending have no annual limits.

If trying to retrace my steps, I called asking to upgrade my card to 5% office supplies and to have no foriegn transaction fees while keeping no annual fee. I was informed about the 5% utility option during the course of the call. I did not know it would be an option until I called.

INK cards with no foriegn transaction fee options always had an annual fee no matter what bonus options were picked, so I could not pick a Chase card for foreign travel.

If you found info about a chase ink card that provides 5% on all hotel and travel it would be nice if you provided more information on that.

Freedom gives 5x on hotel and air (booked directly with the hotel/airline, not through Orbitz etc). Alas this is just for Q4 2012, and the cap of $1500 spend is not high at all.

imbatman said:   BenH said:   

What's a better way to redeem?

drsauce said:   imbatman said:   BenH said:   

What's a better way to redeem?

There's lots of ways.
Actually an entire thread about it with over 300 posts.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1162773/

I redeem mine for Hyatt points.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014