• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
OPEN TO ALL: 20K points after $1K spend
20,000 points, redeemable for $200 statement credit, after spending $1,000 w/in 90 days of account opening. Points are posted at close of 4th billing cycle. Must apply by December 31st, 2012.

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/visa/rewards/

PROMOTIONAL OFFER (YMMV): Above + 12 months 0% balance transfer with $0 BT fee

I received a special offer by email that includes the same above terms plus 0% APR 12 months balance transfer with $0 BT fee. Promo code is VISA865. While the promo code is generic the offer appears targeted. Full email text below:

Introductory 0% APR* on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months3,4

Plus earn 20,000 bonus Alliant Rewards points!5

Congratulations, you've been chosen to receive this preapproved1 offer for an Alliant Credit Union Platinum Rewards VISA credit card. Enjoy a preapproved introductory 0% APR* on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months.3,4 Plus earn 20,000 bonus Alliant Rewards points!5

Enjoy a year of big savings.
With your introductory 0% APR on purchases and no-fee balance transfers for the first 12 months your account is open,3,4 you'll enjoy a year of savings. After the introductory period, your low variable rate on purchases and no-fee balance transfers will be 12.24% APR.3

No annual fee
No balance transfer fee
Earn Alliant Rewards points redeemable for Cash Back2, travel, brand-name merchandise and more
Manage your account with Alliant's mobile and online banking
Earn Alliant Rewards points - get started with 20,000 bonus points!5
To help you start earning points, you'll get 20,000 bonus Alliant Rewards points after you make $1,000 or more in qualifying purchases during the first 90 days your account is open.5 You can redeem them for nearly $200 in Cash Back2 or accumulate more points as you earn one point for every dollar spent on qualifying purchases using your Alliant Platinum Rewards VISA.5,6 Accept today, bonus points offer expires December 31, 2012.

Stop by an Alliant Branch
Call 800-328-1935(24/7)
Be sure to use promo code VISA865.

Terms of Offer | Learn more about the Alliant Platinum Rewards VISA® credit card.

*APR=Annual Percentage Rate

This offer is nontransferable and may only be used by the person to whom it is addressed. Introductory rate offer is not valid for Alliant members with an Alliant Credit Union VISA® credit card account.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
My $200 credited on 2/11, so it did not take 45 days, but just under 30.

tjguitar85 (Feb. 14, 2013 @ 1:12p) |

A minor problem is what to do with small numbers of points.

I (and I suspect others) got the card and did $1,000 in spend... (more)

ProfessorEd (Feb. 25, 2013 @ 5:08p) |

11% Cash Back at Trader Joe's and 16% at Starbucks is pretty good, though -- of course -- these change every month.

stanolshefski (Feb. 25, 2013 @ 5:33p) |

$10 to become an Alliant CU member visa Foster Care to Success:
http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/membership/eligibility/ofa/
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

for Alliant CU members only. Any easy way to become eligible ?

kvs25 said:   for Alliant CU members only. Any easy way to become eligible ?
Yup, $10 donation to Foster Care to Success will do it. Updated Quick Summary with info as well

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/membership/eligibility/ofa/

How much $ in gc or credit can you get with 20,000 points?

This deal is covered here a bit.

eli0125 said:   How much $ in gc or credit can you get with 20,000 points?

You get "nearly" $200 in cash rewards. "Nearly" means they charge a small fee (about $5) for each redemption to discourage small redemptions.

Does anyone knows how conservative they are with CL? Can they send a BT check for depositing in your own bank account or does it have to be a real BT? Would it possible to get CL in access of $20K?

TIA

I applied for this card a few weeks ago, got approved and did a BT but I still have around 5K's left not being used on the entire CL.

If I purchase something (will pay the purchase amount right away) with this card (keeping the above on mind) so I can get the 20K points; will I incur in any extra fees or will it affect the BT terms?

kvs25 said:   for Alliant CU members only. Any easy way to become eligible ?

If a family member is already a member you then have grounds for membership too.

Keep in mind they are known to request paystubs to prove income before approval.

paystub + fed tax of 2 years if self-employed

Is this an easy credit card to apply?

sky101 said:   paystub + fed tax of 2 years if self-employed

Is this standard with credit unions? Usually, aren't tax returns only required for a mortgage? I don't have pay stubs or two years of tax returns since the business was just started a few months ago. Oh well .

Anyone know if Alliant allows members to have two cards?

NOTE to ALL. I applied today and got a pending Approved with a 640 credit score. However, they told me that the 20,000 points only applies for those with a score of 720 or above. WTF....so I told him, there was no mention of the specific FICO score to obtain the 20000 points on the application. The REP told me it's the internal policy. This is kindda low...so i cancelled the application.

DFW06 said:   NOTE to ALL. I applied today and got a pending Approved with a 640 credit score. However, they told me that the 20,000 points only applies for those with a score of 720 or above. WTF....so I told him, there was no mention of the specific FICO score to obtain the 20000 points on the application. The REP told me it's the internal policy. This is kindda low...so i cancelled the application.

It is fairly common for credit card applications to be for more than one card. Usually one is for higher credit scores, and one is for lower credit scores.
Looking at the T&C in the OPs link, the application is either for the Platinum VISA or the Platinum Rewards VISA. The points only come with the Platinum Rewards VISA.

imbatman said:   DFW06 said:   NOTE to ALL. I applied today and got a pending Approved with a 640 credit score. However, they told me that the 20,000 points only applies for those with a score of 720 or above. WTF....so I told him, there was no mention of the specific FICO score to obtain the 20000 points on the application. The REP told me it's the internal policy. This is kindda low...so i cancelled the application.

It is fairly common for credit card applications to be for more than one card. Usually one is for higher credit scores, and one is for lower credit scores.
Looking at the T&C in the OPs link, the application is either for the Platinum VISA or the Platinum Rewards VISA. The points only come with the Platinum Rewards VISA.

i did apply for the Platium Reward Visa. I don't care for the 0% promo rate. Just the 20000 points, but he said only good for those who are in the 720 and above.

DFW06 said:   imbatman said:   DFW06 said:   NOTE to ALL. I applied today and got a pending Approved with a 640 credit score. However, they told me that the 20,000 points only applies for those with a score of 720 or above. WTF....so I told him, there was no mention of the specific FICO score to obtain the 20000 points on the application. The REP told me it's the internal policy. This is kindda low...so i cancelled the application.

i did apply for the Platium Reward Visa. I don't care for the 0% promo rate. Just the 20000 points, but he said only good for those who are in the 720 and above.

the T&C for the Platinum Rewards VISA is actually an application for the Platinum rewards VISA OR the regular Platinum VISA. It's in the T&C and disclosures. You can't only apply for one of them.

imbatman said:   DFW06 said:   imbatman said:   DFW06 said:   NOTE to ALL. I applied today and got a pending Approved with a 640 credit score. However, they told me that the 20,000 points only applies for those with a score of 720 or above. WTF....so I told him, there was no mention of the specific FICO score to obtain the 20000 points on the application. The REP told me it's the internal policy. This is kindda low...so i cancelled the application.

the T&C for the Platinum Rewards VISA is actually an application for the Platinum rewards VISA OR the regular Platinum VISA. It's in the T&C and disclosures. You can't only apply for one of them.

Yes sir. I did choose the Reward VISA. Even the REP told me this. It's just i'm not qualified because my score was approved but not high enough. This is where i'm getting at.

I'm assuming there is no instant approvals? Mine went to a generic page that had a link to go to the homepage, but the title said "thanks for your submission".

Hard pull on Equifax.

Has anyone gotten this card and got Cash Back or a statement credit? Although the front of the invitation letter says you can get
Cash Back, the footnotes 5,6 on the backside of that letter suggest you can get rewards but not cash or statement credits.

I'm not sure what Equifax FICO score they are using for these cards, but in the disclosure letter they sent me it shows a range of 400 to 950, so it does not appear to be the usual score (which I thought had a scale up to 850).

Got an email to call them. Verified some personal information and approved for $20K. Thanks OP and I got the 20K points offer, 12 months 0% balance transfer with $0 BT fee. Credit score is 800.

The score they refers to is call Vantage score.

tjguitar85 said:   I'm not sure what Equifax FICO score they are using for these cards, but in the disclosure letter they sent me it shows a range of 400 to 950, so it does not appear to be the usual score (which I thought had a scale up to 850).

Has anyone received the 20k points yet?

Can't you read!!!
What part of this don't you understand-
"Points are posted at close of 4th billing cycle."

anybody got a check for deposit in your checking account for the balance transfer ? I was shot down as they said I can only transfer for existing cards.

Near the deadline for applying for the card. This card appears good because
1. The 20,000 points for a $1,000 spend.

2. and then the 0% interest on purchases and balances transfers for the first year.

3. The absence of balance transfer fees. The later is valuable because if you ever need a short term loan (possibly if you are short of cash once) you can get it without a large fee, and pay only interest for a short period. This may be better than failing to pay the full statement balance on a card, and then owing interest on a large amount for an extra statement period.

4. They are not one of the large credit card issuers, and getting a card from them is unlikely to prevent getting another card in the way that with Chase, CITI, etc. you may come up against rules on total number of cards, or their total exposure to you.

I applied on line and had a call the next day for more details. I have little income (in the sense of periodic payments coming in), and I had to fax in proof of large retirement accounts. They offered a $10,000 line, but said I could get a $25,000 line if I supplied 1099's for the last two years, which I was able to fax in. The result was that I was approved within 24 hours for $25,000. Courteous and professional treatment, although a little more work. She did confirm that they pulled Equifax, and required a score of 720 for the 0% first year's rate.

So whats the best trick of doing this balance transfer into a checking account?

oh wait. you know what.

For those that are interested in putting money into their checking account. its quite easy.

1. Buy Vanilla reloads at your local CVS all on multiple credit cards.
2. Load it up to your BlueBird account
3. Use your alliant credit card balance transfer and pay off the credit cards that you used to pay for the vanilla reloads.
4. Now transfer the balance from your bluebird account into your checking account.
5. TADA

So now we're feeding with a ladle instead of a spoon?

brawa said:   So now we're feeding with a ladle instead of a spoon?

So what?

brawa said:   So now we're feeding with a ladle instead of a spoon?

isnt this why we love fatwallet?

flyalexair said:   brawa said:   So now we're feeding with a ladle instead of a spoon?

isnt this why we love fatwallet?

No really, some will tell you what he stated on his post and defend that posture as he did. Basically greed, that's all. Thanks for sharing!

And here comes the red....

flyalexair said:   oh wait. you know what.

For those that are interested in putting money into their checking account. its quite easy.

3. Use your alliant credit card balance transfer and pay off the credit cards that you used to pay for the vanilla reloads.
4. Now transfer the balance from your bluebird account into your checking account.
5. TADA

I have a serve account and when I am trying to sign up for bluebird account, it does not let me saying that I have an existing serve account. What to do ?

thanks

A technical question.

When does the one year interest free period begin? Why I ask.

I have been approved for the card with a $25,000 limit. I have done enough spending on other cards (very recently, trying to make end of month and year deadlines)) so I can use this. However, the other cards will not close till about the 24th or 28th. If they count from when you applied or got your card, I may as well do the transfer now and get it out of the way, reducing the small risk of forgetting or being disabled.

However, if they count from when you activate or first use the card,it might pay to delay until the other cards have closed or are approaching the due date, to get a little longer period interest free. I am hoping those that have done balance transfers will report how long it really takes the other firms to get the money, since that may give some guidance as to how closely to cut it.

In my case, I will have little trouble spending the $1,000 so I do not have to start early, although I once I activate it I will use the card whenever I would have other wise used a 2% card in order to have this done as soon a practical, and out of the way.

sunrise said:   flyalexair said:   oh wait. you know what.

5. TADA

I have a serve account and when I am trying to sign up for bluebird account, it does not let me saying that I have an existing serve account. What to do ?

thanks

Uh, close the serve account.

ProfessorEd said:   A technical question.

When does the one year interest free period begin? Why I ask.

<snip>

On the phone, the rep indicated that the period was exactly 1 year from the date of approval -- in my case 12/28. However, the approval letter I received in the mail added 10 (or 11) days to that, stating an end date of 1/8/2014.

You may want to initiate the transfer immediately. As suggested in the Alliant CU thread, they state that it can take up to three weeks for a transfer to post. I initiated mine this past Monday. While the transfers have posted to my Alliant account (while also appearing as "Pending" -- strange), they have not been received by the payees yet. Also, if the transfers post to your target accounts before they close, your credit score won't take the temporary ding of having the same balance outstanding twice over.

Skipping 25 Messages...
ProfessorEd said:   A minor problem is what to do with small numbers of points.

I (and I suspect others) got the card and did $1,000 in spending, earning us 21,000 points. Since they seem to charge 495 points on most gift card and statement credit redemption, the true earnings rate is slightly less than $.01 in value per $1.00 of spending. This is sufficiently below what other cards provide that the card will be little used in the future for purchases. (I can see using it in special circumstances for balance transfers, since there is no balance transfer fee). The best redemption seemed to be for a statement credit, which took up 20,495 points. This left 505 points.

Normally such odd amount would just be left and I would expect in the future to earn enough points for another redemption. However, I do not expect much future spending on the card (although they may some day run a promotion to get the cards to be used again).

I did notice the points can be redeemed for books and videos. There is a way to sort from low to high in points price, and fortunately there are several items available for less than 505 points (and possibly a little more if you ended up with more points, or wanted to spend a little extra to be able to afford something slightly more expensive).

I found several items of some value and chose a DVD of TV cartoons. There was also a Sponge Bob sticker book, and a Mega Piranha DVD, which judging from the Amazon Reviews has the virtue of being so bad, it is good.

One reason to keep using this card is the unpublicized offers that you need to activate through the rewards account each month. This month they are:

Ann Taylor
15 points per dollar

Barnes & Noble
10 points per dollar

Gymboree
20 points per dollar

Sports Authority
20 points per dollar

Starbucks
15 points per dollar

Trader Joe's
10 points per dollar

Urban Outfitters
10 points per dollar

The Vitamin Shoppe
20 points per dollar

11% Cash Back at Trader Joe's and 16% at Starbucks is pretty good, though -- of course -- these change every month.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014