Selling an Auction Rate Security

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have $25K worth of an auction rate security (54471RCF2) from 2008 currently offering 0.46% auction rate and continuously failing in auction, which means, I cannot get rid of it. My question is, is there any way and how I can get rid of this, even at a loss? You can see auction results here: https://www.wellsfargoadvisors.com/auctionrates/index.htm

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

City of LA metro debt, huh? I'd take it off your hands, but I don't think you'd like the price.

not sure how you purchased it, but back then in 2008 mines were purchases through Citi and it was a nightmare when the auction market failed. Mines got cashed out at full value in 2009 when the big banks settled failing to disclose the risks to retail customers.

recklessmax said:   not sure how you purchased it, but back then in 2008 mines were purchases through Citi and it was a nightmare when the auction market failed. Mines got cashed out at full value in 2009 when the big banks settled failing to disclose the risks to retail customers.
I bought them un-solicitated through Fidelity Investments (online purchase and not through a broker).

Somebody needs a money manager.

I thought when an ARS auction fails the interest rate resets to some maximum rate. How can a failed auction result in a 0.46% rate ?

BitemeIamtoxic said:   Somebody needs a money manager.

Are you crapping on OP or do you have a suggestion?

ananthar said:   I thought when an ARS auction fails the interest rate resets to some maximum rate. How can a failed auction result in a 0.46% rate ?
Different securities had different terms. In many cases the failure (and maximum) rate was a floating rate based off of LIBOR or a similar index, often with a premium or multiplier applied, sometimes varying by the issue's rating.

A maximum rate of, say, two times 1-month LIBOR sounded reasonable when that meant 10%. Now that it means 0.42%, it sounds awful. That's the reason the auctions are failing - a bid is effectively an offer to buy at face value at below-market interest rates.

When did you buy the ARS? When did you transfer them from Fidelity to Wells?

Didn't this help?

ThePessimist said:   ananthar said:   I thought when an ARS auction fails the interest rate resets to some maximum rate. How can a failed auction result in a 0.46% rate ?
Different securities had different terms. In many cases the failure (and maximum) rate was a floating rate based off of LIBOR or a similar index, often with a premium or multiplier applied, sometimes varying by the issue's rating.

A maximum rate of, say, two times 1-month LIBOR sounded reasonable when that meant 10%. Now that it means 0.42%, it sounds awful. That's the reason the auctions are failing - a bid is effectively an offer to buy at face value at below-market interest rates.

So even though almost every other LIBOR based adjustable loan rate is structured as LIBOR + X% these ARS issuers structured the penalty rate (for failed auctions) as LIBOR * X ? That makes absolutely no sense since the risk premium for a loan should not go down when interest rates go down.

Donate it to your favorite charity if you have a high passive income to take the passive losss against.

Claymore said:   Donate it to your favorite charity if you have a high passive income to take the passive losss against.
Isn't the ARS just a type of muni debt, not some pass through investment entity? Where do the passive loss limits come into play? I found a lot of good discussion of charitable donations of complicated securities here:

http://www.nycommunitytrust.org/ProfessionalTaxEstatePlanningNot...

germanpope said:   archived thread

clue#1: the screen-names are AugustFour and BrunoB --- could be the same person

clue#2: same cusip number on an auction rate security that needs to be dumped (the only one discussed in FW)

umm, perhaps these aren't the same person --- but if they aren't, that is one pretty weird coincidence

what say you Bruno?

ananthar said:   So even though almost every other LIBOR based adjustable loan rate is structured as LIBOR + X% these ARS issuers structured the penalty rate (for failed auctions) as LIBOR * X ? That makes absolutely no sense since the risk premium for a loan should not go down when interest rates go down.
I agree with you that it makes no sense, but among muni ARSs that I've seen, by far the most common maximum rate applied in failed auctions is 1 month LIBOR times 2.

This issue was a common and popular purchase among investors (as ARS was extensively discussed in the aforementioned thread). I did not read (or pay enough attention to) the Official Statement for the specifics of rates and the consequences.

DogFase said:   When did you buy the ARS? When did you transfer them from Fidelity to Wells?

Didn't this help?

Securities had to be purchased before Feb. 2008. I did not qualify.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014