• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
SUCKISSTAPLES said:   You are a minor , it doesn't count

Just don't do it after you turn 18

I'm now in my early 30's... I retired from it 17ish yrs ago. Such a good scheme. But imagine today? Go to prison for grand theft, fraud, god knows what else... "What are you in for?" "Ummmm... baseball cards...."

Buy a six-pack of Coke on sale for about $1.50 or less... sell each can for $1.00 during school lunch... You'll be shocked how many cans you will sell.

How funny. I made a killing in 4th and 5th grade reselling contraband gum. Bought it at about 5 cents each and sold for 15 cents (that is how much kids had left over from the dollar they used to buy their 85 cent lunch. I also got shut down by the man (actually a woman). wasn't old enough to know how to bribe correctly.

I'm going to get a lot of red for this...

1) Start a non-profit, make the kids the board of directors
2) Have kids put up donation jars in convenience stores for whatever cause they choose(save the raccoons, protect the grass, dyslexics untie, etc)
3) Split profits(donations) however you feel comfortable with between the board and whatever cause you are supporting(90-10, 70-30, 50-50, whatever)

The kids learn the benefits of charity, running a business, and how to make money combining the two

(sorry for not having "???" as step two)

RealEstateMatt said:   I'm going to get a lot of red for this...

2) Have kids put up donation jars in convenience stores for whatever cause they choose(save the raccoons, protect the grass, dyslexics untie, etc)
3) Split profits(donations) however you feel comfortable with between the board and whatever cause you are supporting(90-10, 70-30, 50-50, whatever)

The kids learn the benefits of charity, running a business, and how to make money combining the two

I teach my kids to avoid such nonsensical requests for "charity". Can't imagine teaching them to do it, more invidious than teaching them to steal outright. Sounds like you are raising little Bernie Madoffs.

Back in jr high school, the big thing was cinnamon flavored toothpicks. We'd buy cinnamon oil and tootpicks, soak 'em overnight or longer, then package a few (5?) in a small piece of tinfoil that we'd sell for a quarter (a nickel each I think). Eventually the school banned toothpicks due to choking concerns and that ended our business.

We didn't start the fad but barriers to entry were low and we got in pretty early, made some nice money for Turbo Grafix 16 games...

Funny to see so many similar child entrepreneur stories , and how we all got busted by The Man

Kanosh said:   RealEstateMatt said:   I'm going to get a lot of red for this...

I teach my kids to avoid such nonsensical requests for "charity". Can't imagine teaching them to do it, more invidious than teaching them to steal outright. Sounds like you are raising little Bernie Madoffs.

Actually, it would teach the kids how most charities actually operate. It would provide an opportunity for people to dump their spare change and feel good about it instead of giving it to the panhandler in front of the store who is going to use it for booze.

And, you really shouldn't use words you don't know how to use correctly.

NikeFace said:   Oh man, this brings me way back...

That story reminds me of the time I was 16 and worked at pizza chain restaurant that sold beer. I had to stock the beer cooler at the end of the night and would always take out empty boxes to put in the trash. I quickly discovered that no one ever watched me take out the empty boxes. I could easily sneak out a beer and no one would notice. Of course I knew the missing beer would eventually be found out because it wasn't being paid for. So I came up with an ingenious plan.

I went to work one day and asked the manager if I could train to be a cashier. She apparently loved my initiative and I was a trained cashier within a couple of days.

The next day I paid for a bottle of beer while working the register. That night I took out the boxes along with my bottle of beer and casually placed it in my car.

I eventually turned my little beer a night habit into a very lucrative side business.

By the time I graduated high school and went to college I was selling six packs, for a very healthy markup, to just about every kid in town.

its one thing to brag, quite another to admit commiting criminal acts on a public forum.

I definitely agree with the soda idea, back in 6th grade we had a money project in class where we got fake money for doing "jobs" for instance I was a banker (50 a week) and paid everyone for their jobs (and no i didn't embezzle anything, though it would have been easy), and of course the teachers pet got paid the most 250 a week, at the end of every week students brought in junk like pencils candy sodas to sell for w/e price they wanted. A couple rich kids had their parents buy 24 packs of Pepsi and sell for fake money, and it sold for 50/75 a can. I noticed it sold so well kids were spending their weekly pay on soda. So I waited for a couple weeks, then when I had enough to buy a few, I bought out the last cans and upped the price to 150, kids still bought it like crazy and I made mad (fake) cash. Wash rinse repeat, soon I was buying the half the 24 pack controlling the entire soda flow and upping the price to 200. At the end of the semester we summed up the money we had and I had about 20k, way more than anyone else even at my cheap salary.

We had an auction at the end where the teachers put up items like giant bags of starbursts, mechanical pencils, etc and the next richest person had only 3k. So needless to say I was going to buy out everything. Sadly the teachers then cam up with a rule that said only one win a person, so I spread my "wealth" had other purchase everything for me and I paid them with one bag of starburst to split. In addition the fake cash could be used the next semester to get out of hw, quizzes etc. I never let the teachers know exactly ho much cash I had, but lets say second semester was pretty easy for me.

Back on topic, kids will spend way too much money on sugar and caffeine, supply both and your kids will rake in the dough.

Hehe we had a similar points system in the 5th grade where we would redeem the points at the end of the year

I was the banker too for a while , and I might have had sloppy accounting and paid myself too much

It was sweet beating the class nerd at the end of the year for the top prize

lousygolfer said:   Definitely focus on integrity in any business endeavor.

A few years back, I bought a Logitech 1.3mp webcam off eBay that was advertised as new. Turned out it was an old sub-VGA model (for years the Logitechs all had that same ball shape, so I can partially forgive some confusion) that was beaten up, scratched, broken, DOA and shoved into a 1.3mp container that looked like it had been run over by a truck and had obviously been re-sealed with tape on at least four separate occasions. The seller had included some religious nonsense in their "Just mailed your webcam" e-mail. I complained vociferously to the seller and stated that it was highly ironic that such religious people could be so incredibly dishonest. I got a lengthy response back from the seller's dad, who advised me his middle school-aged son (who he had been home schooling to provide a faith-based education) had been selling on eBay for a few years which he had encouraged him to do to develop his entrepreurial spirit. The dad's response was kind of weird, half highly defensive, half acknowledging that his kid had badly screwed up. However, he stated that he was going to make his kid go to Best Buy, buy me a brand new webcam, and give me a full refund. I told him a refund was enough,as I had already bought a replacement locally. I found it was highly ironic (but rather typical for ultra-religious types) that their devotion to their religion did not incorporate a commitment to strong integrity-based ethics; apparently lots of praying exempts one from bothering with being an honest, good person.

I would highly suspect there was no kid at all and they weren't particularly religious.

But they may have just thrown in the religious language and blamed their fraud on a fictitious kid. I bet a large % of people would simply drop it or look the otherway if they thought they were dealing with a child of a religious family.

When I was in school, I did other student's homework for a fee.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.