• Text Only
tony6730 said:   ubermichaelthomas said:   Will you be happy living in that low COL area?
Will your wife be happy there?
If no wife, will you be able to get laid in the low COL area?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this plan and I think about it frequently. If you'll be happy there, that's all that matters. Build up a nest egg of how ever much money you can love off 3%, which might be $150k plus owning a $100k house in full. Or maybe it's $400k plus the small house. Run the numbers, do the math. Enjoy your 80% federally subsidized healthcare if you can keep your annual income below the poverty line of around $13k (perhaps through only withdrawing $13k or less per year from your IRAs through SEPP.

The area I personally would be going to is either Northern Delaware, or Albany NY. Jobs in my field are not THAT difficult to get in those locaitons

I am sure I could get laid, but will I be happy? That I don't know. Really depends if I were able to make friends with some good people or not. If I were to make this move I would want to enjoy the extra money and go out a lot

I have been thinking about buying a house Delaware for a couple years now. I visit there often and love it. The housing is very reasonably priced, the property taxes are some of the lowest in the country and there's no sales tax. Three things I cannot say about NJ(where I am currently renting now). Plus it's only about 30 minutes away from Philadelphia.

dollarshort said:   tony6730 said:   ubermichaelthomas said:   Will you be happy living in that low COL area?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this plan and I think about it frequently. If you'll be happy there, that's all that matters. Build up a nest egg of how ever much money you can love off 3%, which might be $150k plus owning a $100k house in full. Or maybe it's $400k plus the small house. Run the numbers, do the math. Enjoy your 80% federally subsidized healthcare if you can keep your annual income below the poverty line of around $13k (perhaps through only withdrawing $13k or less per year from your IRAs through SEPP.

The area I personally would be going to is either Northern Delaware, or Albany NY. Jobs in my field are not THAT difficult to get in those locaitons

I am sure I could get laid, but will I be happy? That I don't know. Really depends if I were able to make friends with some good people or not. If I were to make this move I would want to enjoy the extra money and go out a lot

I have been thinking about buying a house Delaware for a couple years now. I visit there often and love it. The housing is very reasonably priced, the property taxes are some of the lowest in the country and there's no sales tax. Three things I cannot say about NJ(where I am currently renting now). Plus it's only about 30 minutes away from Philadelphia.

There are some decent spots in Delaware, but if you have kids or plan to have kids, you have to put them in private school. The public school system in DE is unusable.

MaxRC said:   StudioTraffic said:   I'm Asian myself, moved here when I was 16, I think I have accomplished more than the majority of the people in the last 12 years.So what are you saying, that you are above average?

Thats right biatch!

I enjoy living in Asia and I love Asian women, people in Asia are not as judgmental and close minded as some of the people in this country. I disagree with this assessment. Women in under-developed/developing (compared to first world countries) Asian countries are far more opportunistic in my experience. The traditional female role in a relationship in these countries are much more dependent and subservient to the male role. Women in these countries will do what it takes to secure a better life and are subject to an alarming amount of exploitation by those who prey on this weakness.

I guess you got all your "news" and information from the brain washing propaganda by your TV stations. Everything you said are full of negativity. Wake up and see the world through your own eyes!!

cr3s said:   Look. If you've never lived in a world class city, don't knock people for living in it. There's a place and time for everything. Life isn't all about money. It's about the enjoyment that money brings.

If you like to save that extra 200/week and prefer to live with the squirrels, then do so. But there are lots of us that prefer to walk down the streets and have a choice of 30 restaurants w/in a mile radius. And then take the rail to the theatre, airport, and seaport.

We like to see famous bands, plays, etc perform. You don't get that in a smaller town.

If you like nature and don't do much except watch tv when you get home, sure, living out in the hinterlands is the way.

There's a certain irony to telling people not to knock others for living in a world class city if they haven't done so themselves, and then proceeding to describe the alternative as "living with the squirrels" and "out in the hinterlands."

StudioTraffic said:   MaxRC said:   So what are you saying, that you are above average?

Thats right biatch!
Whoosh.

I guess you got all your "news" and information from the brain washing propaganda by your TV stations. Everything you said are full of negativity. Wake up and see the world through your own eyes!!Negativity? Did you read what you just wrote surrounding this charge of negativity? That's rather ironic. And how are you in a position to assume anything about my source of knowledge regarding Asia?

MaxRC said:   StudioTraffic said:   MaxRC said:   So what are you saying, that you are above average?

Thats right biatch!
Whoosh.

I guess you got all your "news" and information from the brain washing propaganda by your TV stations. Everything you said are full of negativity. Wake up and see the world through your own eyes!!Negativity? Did you read what you just wrote surrounding this charge of negativity? That's rather ironic. And how are you in a position to assume anything about my source of knowledge regarding Asia?

You are right, I am in no position to assume anything about your source.

But for one thing, I'm from there, most of the things that you said maybe true to 1% of the population, 99% of the people in Thailand are regular people just like you and I. The same can apply to the USA, perhaps 1% of the population are being exploited into different kind of slavery. The difference is, our media keeps on running negative campaign about other countries and yet we are in no better shape then some of these third world countries.

If you have lived in Thailand you will realize that they have more freedom in some areas then we do here in the States, but our media propaganda completely blind us from knowing that. Lets get back to the topic on moving to low COL area, shall we?

ceobeaver said:   dollarshort said:   tony6730 said:   ubermichaelthomas said:   Will you be happy living in that low COL area?

There are some decent spots in Delaware, but if you have kids or plan to have kids, you have to put them in private school. The public school system in DE is unusable.

That's fine. I don't have any children.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   There are numerous areas where you can get a nice house for $50-70k , not even $100k required

I never can understand those who pay 50% + of their income to live in a high cost area. You are sacrificing quality of life .

It depends on your perspective. You may have family ties, jobs, friends, etc. that hold you in a particular location. Or some people may think that living in a 500 sq ft apartment and having access to restaurants, Broadway shows, theaters, etc. is better quality of life than living in 3000 sq ft house in a cornfield. What people value is different.

I've done the opposite and moved to a higher COL area. I am regretting it. City people always talk about how there is nothing to do in the country, but the city doesn't offer anything that I like. From my point of view, there is "nothing to do" in the city.

My preferred activities are hunting, hiking, fishing, boating, and other outdoorsy things. You can often find these in low COL areas, but not the other way around.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014