• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
A COPPER penny is worth 2.2 cents TODAY, IF you could design a machine to sort Copper/Zinc Pennies could you make a fortune? Melt the copper ones into ingots and pass back the near worthless zinc ones to banks?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
This isn't as crazy of an idea as it might seem. This is actually already being done. Check out PortlandMint.com. They ... (more)

tightfistedmiser (Nov. 26, 2012 @ 9:17p) |

How horrible would this job be without a machine? Even if it profitted you $15/hour after all expenses. Looking at those... (more)

BradisBrad (Nov. 26, 2012 @ 10:31p) |

Anyone catch the latest Pawn Stars episode? The old man hoarded buckets of copper pennies. If you look closely you can... (more)

ungar2000 (Feb. 13, 2013 @ 4:00p) |

• Also categorized in:

Let's say you buy $1,000 worth of pennies per round... you go to the bank and say, "hey, can I have 2,000 rolls of pennies???" that's about 550 pounds.... let's just call it 500 pounds to make the math easier. Let's assume the bank has 2,000 rolls of pennies in their vault and the cashier and bank manager doesn't laugh you out the door right there.

Assume maybe a 75% zinc, 25% copper penny distribution. So take $750 in pennies back the next day and let the cashier deal with 375 pounds of zinc pennies for deposit... "here you go!" (And you thought the looks we got for dropping off $1K or $2K of $1 coins at a time were bad). Let's assume again the cashier and bank manager doesn't laugh you out of the door right there.

Meanwhile, after your magic machine did it's thing, you've got yourself $250 of pennies worth $500, give or take. Now, find someone to buy all that copper at spot (good luck with that one). If you even get 75% of spot, congratulations, you've just pocketed $125 for your hard work minus whatever you think your time, gas, expense to build/maintain the machine, aspirin for your back, etc is worth.

Google ryedale penny sorter...

This sounds like the scam they ran in Superman 3

huh; looking at just the title I assumed this was going to be a new BBB thread.

It's illegal to destroy pennies for their copper, so unless you plan on melting them yourself, you may have a hard time unloading them.

imbatman said:   It's illegal to destroy pennies for their copper, so unless you plan on melting them yourself, you may have a hard time unloading them.

I didn't google 'Refining Furnace' or what it would cost to have an OFFICIAL assaying permit, but it's ALL about quantity...ALL those things make sense if the quantity is present.

Is this what it's come to?

ubermichaelthomas said:   Is this what it's come to?

are you just upset you didn't post this thread first?

Yes, the metal in the coins are worth more than the devalued US dollar

I mentioned the penny sorter to 2 relatives on Thanksgiving, and they looked at me like a criminal and both pointed out that melting down currency is illegal. This may be over the line.

Perhaps there is some foreign currency you could do this with instead?

What foreign country would be stupid enough to have a coin whose face value is less than its melt value ?

beanie4me said:   ubermichaelthomas said:   Is this what it's come to?

I mentioned the penny sorter to 2 relatives on Thanksgiving, and they looked at me like a criminal and both pointed out that melting down currency is illegal. This may be over the line.

I mention my 4-figure Cash Back checks and they look at me like a criminal, too. General reactions may not be the best barometer of an idea's merits.

Silver dollars, quarters, and dimes (at least used to) routinely fetch close to the spot value of their silver content on eBay.

Glitch99 said:   beanie4me said:   ubermichaelthomas said:   Is this what it's come to?

I mention my 4-figure Cash Back checks and they look at me like a criminal, too. General reactions may not be the best barometer of an idea's merits.

Silver dollars, quarters, and dimes (at least used to) routinely fetch close to the spot value of their silver content on eBay.

Shipping kills the deal.

ubermichaelthomas said:    Is this what it's come to?

seems to be getting worse since you came back

germanpope said:   ubermichaelthomas said:    Is this what it's come to?

seems to be getting worse since you came back

I always did bring the worst out in people.

Yeah.. No. This scares me.

skagen said:   Let's say you buy $1,000 worth of pennies per round... you go to the bank and say, "hey, can I have 2,000 rolls of pennies???" that's about 550 pounds.... let's just call it 500 pounds to make the math easier. Let's assume the bank has 2,000 rolls of pennies in their vault and the cashier and bank manager doesn't laugh you out the door right there.

Assume maybe a 75% zinc, 25% copper penny distribution. So take $750 in pennies back the next day and let the cashier deal with 375 pounds of zinc pennies for deposit... "here you go!" (And you thought the looks we got for dropping off $1K or $2K of $1 coins at a time were bad). Let's assume again the cashier and bank manager doesn't laugh you out of the door right there.

Meanwhile, after your magic machine did it's thing, you've got yourself $250 of pennies worth $500, give or take. Now, find someone to buy all that copper at spot (good luck with that one). If you even get 75% of spot, congratulations, you've just pocketed $125 for your hard work minus whatever you think your time, gas, expense to build/maintain the machine, aspirin for your back, etc is worth.

Plus rolling the pennies too. I cant even imagine that.

This thread has been forwarded to the Secret Service.

Once I thought it would be fun to buy a Ryedale machine and sort. Then I realized all the hassle of going to multiple banks to pick up / dump pennies, sorting, selling on eBay, paying fees, shipping, basically negate the 50% or so markup that you could get.

If you have a job or some other reasonable way to make money - then no this is a terrible idea. If you are retired and bored out of your gourd and don't have anything to do while you're watching the Price is Right and the Weather Channel all day, get a penny sorter and knock yourself out.

This isn't as crazy of an idea as it might seem. This is actually already being done. Check out PortlandMint.com. They seem to be making a good business from sorting out the copper pennies and selling them.

How horrible would this job be without a machine? Even if it profitted you $15/hour after all expenses. Looking at those tiny numbers all day would drive a man crazy.

Anyone catch the latest Pawn Stars episode? The old man hoarded buckets of copper pennies. If you look closely you can see the "shield" on some of them, making those zinc obviously.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014