Hotel Cancellation

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Short story: Booked a Hotwire Hot rate reservation in my name, for tomorrow Friday to Thursday. The person that is supposed to be staying in the room is no longer coming so I need to cancel. Can I purchase trip insurance and be covered due to depression?
http://www.etravelprotection.com/hotwire/

Long story: Online date was supposed to travel to meet me. My ex gf tracked her down and called her father defaming my character and telling him not to let his daughter come see me. Parents and daughter are understandably freaked out and will not allow daughter to come. Airfare, hotel, theater tickets, flowers, etc already paid for and non-refundable. Total is over 3k. I would like to lessen my losses and get back the Hotel fee by buying trip insurance. Since the reservation is in my name, can I claim a medical emergency, which I am suffering right now due to the anger and depression this has caused and get some of my money back? My Psych doc may write a letter testifying to my emotional state of being unable to "travel".

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I found bikini pics of a posters wife once.

Crazytree (Dec. 06, 2012 @ 12:52a) |

Maybe the "type" he's looking for is a minor.

marketingmike (Dec. 06, 2012 @ 8:31a) |

Don't say a word my virgin child
Just let your inhibitions run wild
The secret is about to unfold
Upstairs before the night... (more)

sackoloot (Dec. 06, 2012 @ 12:05p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Sorry, this is too funny. Sucks to be you.

Hotel is in your name, so get on backpage and make the most of it!!

No need to be depressed when h&b is but a mouse click away!!

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Hotel is in your name, so get on backpage and make the most of it!!

I'm a FWFer, paying that much per night to sleep in a bed less than 10 miles from my own is nauseating.

Why did you get a hotel then ?

Does your exgf still live with you?

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Why did you get a hotel then ?

Does your exgf still live with you?

It would have been awkward being that this would have been our first meeting. No the ex is gone but, she listened in my conversations which is how she got her info.

Geez that sux.

I don't think your travel insurance idea will work since they've seen all kinds of tricks like this . Buying it the night before you claim benefits won't work

I once sold a Priceline room that i coupdnt use on eBay, but i had more time. How about putting the room on Craigslist if its in a popular city like NYC sf etc ?

Good idea, it is a in a popular city which is why the room is damn expensive. Would I still be liable for hotel damages?

Yes. But since you'll be meeting the buyer in person , you can easily screen them

just by looking at them , getting their business card etc youll get a good idea whether they are a family or a professional , or some degenerate loser

So you planned a whole week and spent 3K for a first meeting. thats a big risk

Call the airline and ask for a future credit reasoning some sickness. if your online date changes her mind.....it might work.
i did this for my family via Delta and used that on a later date for the same people on the original ticket.
They hold the ticket value until one year.

money2011 said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Hotel is in your name, so get on backpage and make the most of it!!

I'm a FWFer, paying that much per night to sleep in a bed less than 10 miles from my own is nauseating.

But 3k isn't?

jumroo said:   So you planned a whole week and spent 3K for a first meeting. thats a big risk

Call the airline and ask for a future credit reasoning some sickness. if your online date changes her mind.....it might work.
i did this for my family via Delta and used that on a later date for the same people on the original ticket.
They hold the ticket value until one year.

yeah its typically a $150 change fee, if you can convince her to fly out some time later. and if flight prics go down you may not need to pay anything.

STRATEGY TO SAVE THIS DISASTER:
1. Reroute the flowers to her house . Most florists work through a network and can reroute, or if you must pick them up, FedEx them.
2. Cancel flight ticket and get voucher for future travel.
3. Craigslist the hotel and show tickets.
4. Step up your game.

Think of this as a challenge, dont sit and sulk. Its Thanksgiving. Be thankful you have $3000 to spend meeting someone. Some people dont have $3000 or even $300 to make rent this month.

money2011 said:   ... My Psych doc may write a letter testifying to my emotional state of being unable to "travel". A psychiatrist. You definitely need one of those...

Thanks for the help SIS.

I vouchered the airfare, she has 1 year to change her mind. I honestly, doubt I'll ever talk to her again. If the role was reversed I'd be freaked out as well.

The flowers are in my possession now. I was going to arrange them in the hotel room before I picked her up at the airport as a surprise. Gift basket is non-refundable.

Tickets and hotel are both on craigslist at Black Friday prices, hopefully someone will bite. I'll throw in the flowers for free.

I'll call crate+barrel in the morning to cancel furniture delivery. I wanted to spruce the place up a bit. IDK, if canceling is even possible. I can return the champagne and wine. I can get store credit for the new clothes.

My game was pretty damn good to get someone to fly out to meet a total stranger, I was sabotaged by an ex that apparently loves me enough to hate me.

FedEx the flowers to her with an apology tomorrow, for saturday delivery. Girls like nothing more than for a man to say he is sorry. Even if if wasnt your fault. Just say youre sorry.

All guys are dogs. She might forget about whatever your vindictive ex told her.

BTW what did she tell her?

Getting new furniture to impress the date you're meeting for the first time? Wow, I'm impressed for sure.

Just that I am not who I say I am and that she should not come to see me. I don't know what, if anything else she said, that was all that was relayed to me. Wish I could FedEx her an apology gift but, I don't know her address and I doubt, she'll give it to me after this.

Take the flowers to a random stranger at the hospital, will give you a nice feeling after a rough week.

I am sorry but your decision-making is poor. When someone does not have skin in the game, they can back out any time, for any reason.

Let's assume this is your future soulmate we are talking about.
Let's assume it is really worth for you two to have a first-time meeting by traveling long distance.
Let's assume that it is worth spending $3K to arrange that.

All of the above are unlikely, but possible, no?

But footing all of $3K on that on your own is just stupid.
If she spent even 30% of that, she would think twice before just deciding to back out.

Go to your local UPS Store, and send it to the UPS Store nearest her "in care of her name". You at least know her city and general area right? FedEx/Kinkos might do this too if you talk to the manager of the FedEx/Kinkos location its being sent to.

Tell her you didnt know her address, and did not want to ask, but she should go to the UPS store to pickup a gift.

money2011, you should send a gift to SIS for being so helpful!

If the story in the OP is even 50% true, then the hotels, airplanes, and clowns on unicycles are all second priority. First priority, before you do anything else, is to deal with your ex and make it clear to her that her behavior was not only psycotic but also illegal. You need to make it clear to her that you are 100% through with her, and any further "single white female" style BS will be met with a lawyer, a rotweiler, and a sawed off shotgun.

soundtechie said:   If the story in the OP is even 50% true, then the hotels, airplanes, and clowns on unicycles are all second priority. First priority, before you do anything else, is to deal with your ex and make it clear to her that her behavior was not only psycotic but also illegal. You need to make it clear to her that you are 100% through with her, and any further "single white female" style BS will be met with a lawyer, a rotweiler, and a sawed off shotgun.

Id go bang the ex since its clear she still wants it.

Whatever......can we get back to the deals? you need medication....not trip insurance. NEXT.

useless gifts
Disclaimer

useless gifts
Disclaimer

useless gifts
Disclaimer

useless gifts
Disclaimer
soundtechie said:   If the story in the OP is even 50% true, then the hotels, airplanes, and clowns on unicycles are all second priority. First priority, before you do anything else, is to deal with your ex and make it clear to her that her behavior was not only psycotic but also illegal. You need to make it clear to her that you are 100% through with her, and any further "single white female" style BS will be met with a lawyer, a rotweiler, and a sawed off shotgun.

The OP is genuine. Use it as a cautionary tale "Kids when you break up with someone make sure they can't eavesdrop or access your personal information before you tell them gtfo"

The ex is in the wind. I do not know how to contact her or where she is currently living.

Sis,

I'm going to err on the side of caution and just leave this girl alone. I passed the online dating website background check and her own investigation. She will contact me if she wants to ever speak to me again.

Your call, but I would at least make it clear you're sorry and apologize.

She had feelings hurt, and probably would be happy to see you really cared too

Im curious how/why you met someone on an online dating site that lives out of town? Why not date within your town, especially since it looks like you might live in NYC?

scotto777 said:   Im curious how/why you met someone on an online dating site that lives out of town? Why not date within your town, especially since it looks like you might live in NYC?

My time is very limited, work dominates my life. I was also looking for someone that fit a specific criteria.

story: Online date was supposed to travel to meet me. My ex gf tracked her down and called her father defaming my character and telling him not to let his daughter come see me. Parents and daughter are understandably freaked out and will not allow daughter to come.

Obviously your ex is much smarter than you.....

NEXT!

Ok we gotta know- what is the criteria ?

I think most on this forum know mine

money2011 said:    I was also looking for someone that fit a specific criteria.

You sound like one of my Indian friends...

money2011 said:   The OP is genuine. Use it as a cautionary tale "Kids when you break up with someone make sure they can't eavesdrop or access your personal information before you tell them gtfo".
Beautiful gifts. Maybe ex got J.

This might be one of my favorite FWF Threads ever!

OP, why would you spend 3k on a girl you've never met?

So the prostitute you hired for the hotel room changed her mind?

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Ok we gotta know- what is the criteria ?

I am going on a trip around the world for one year beginning in Jan and was looking for someone to accompany me.

bigdinkel: 2/3 of that 3k is hotel and airfare. The rest was prepaid event tickets,flowers and gift basket. Beyond the 3k was furniture, my clothing, and my grooming (facial, wax, mani/pedi), champagne/spirits

I keep wanting to type a response, but I am almost completely at a loss...so I'll just say good luck with where this all goes in regards to both 1) crazy ex and 2) dating strategy. Hotel cancellation, the very underwhelming title of this thread, is a veeeeeeeery distant third point.

My only (completely unsolicited) advice (FWIW) is that, unless you are aiming to attract major gold digging, this whole enterprise might be coming on a little bit strong for a first meeting.

What an interesting nightcap for a day of digging for deals.

from a female perspective: why would she have been willing to fly to meet you when she wasn't willing to give you her address prior?

You need to look further into the type of woman you are wanting. That's just strange.

money2011 said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Ok we gotta know- what is the criteria ?

I am going on a trip around the world for one year beginning in Jan and was looking for someone to accompany me.

bigdinkel: 2/3 of that 3k is hotel and airfare. The rest was prepaid event tickets,flowers and gift basket. Beyond the 3k was furniture, my clothing, and my grooming (facial, wax, mani/pedi), champagne/spirits

Wow that takes the cake .. just when I thought this was about all the quirkiness there was in the story, comes this revelation!

So in a month+ you are off to a world tour, arranging to fly in someone you've never met, and take this to the level of convincing her to come along for the year long(?) trip ... even if ex hadn't totally crushed the plan the stakes were quite high on something not happening per the plan ...

Skipping 209 Messages...
marketingmike said:   Glitch99 said:   
The "online date" is being forbidden from attending by HER PARENTS! I'm thinking there were multiple reasons he didnt want her to know where he lives...

Maybe the "type" he's looking for is a minor.

Don't say a word my virgin child
Just let your inhibitions run wild
The secret is about to unfold
Upstairs before the night's too old.

In the Rod Stewart video, you never see the girls face. OP won't show her face either. I think OP's post was inspired by this video.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014