• Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
patch96 said:   Take that "$5,000" or "$10,000" or "$30,000" diamond ring to a jeweler and see how much you get for it.

Diamonds are a scam. If it weren't for women (GENERALLY emotionally competitive groupthink creatures (except man FWF females) and the "sex" component and the "committment" component, this ponzi scheme would have died decades ago.

Yep. But it hasn't. And (to an extent) if you want a fish, you gotta put bait on the hook.

Many of us girls like the bling! I didn't say I wanted to get married, I just want the ring.

RussellJohnson said:   Why do you even need to get married?Her parents didn't want us living in sin.

RedCelicaGT said:   djtitati said:   "that could be... a year's car payments"
FWF members make payments on cars?

At 1.49% interest I plan to make payments forever.

xerty said:   DesiVibe said:   RedCelicaGT said:   Dividend payout > interest rate on car note.
Penfed 1.49% loans can easily be made relatively risk free

If you've got a RCA paying more after taxes than your auto loan, that's relatively risk free. Buying a good, blue-chip dividend paying stock with a 5% yield and hoping that covers your interest costs, well, it didn't work so well for BP.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=5y&s=BP&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=bnd&ql=1

Actually it worked out fine... when you own a dividend stock you don't need to rely on capital appreciation. You buy it for the income. Now that the stock is dirt cheap you can simply reinvest the dividends.

djtitati said:   What made the thought enter my own mind was that ShaneCo has a pretty respectable trade-in policy. They'll give you the full credit of what you paid for your initial stone towards another one. So, as far as trade-ins go, you don't have to clinch your cheeks when you walk to the register. But I find myself saying, "that could be a dining room table, or a bathroom, or a year's car payments" etc. I suppose a lot of the value of the decision weighs on the perceived benefit a larger ring would give the wife (increased security feel-goodness, oogling friends, that "we finally made it" feeling).

I'd be horrified if my husband tried to trade in my ring.

Granted, he bought it off QVC for $100, but hey, I was completely against him spending money on something like an engagement ring, even though I'd secretly wished we'd been in the position to be able to buy each other rings. He'd gotten it as sort of a joke, sort of not. He knew how I felt, deep down, and he wanted to make me happy, but it wasn't in the cards.

It was the sweetest, dorkiest, most heartfelt gift I've ever gotten. And now, I wouldn't trade it for the world. It means everything to me, because it's about what it symbolizes-and nothing to do w what it's made out of or what size it is.

That being said, for our big anniversaries he's added to it-a diamond wedding band (yes, real, and not from QVC) and a ring wrap w diamonds. But never, ever, ever will they get this fake QVC thing off my finger.

brettdoyle said:   xerty said:   DesiVibe said:   RedCelicaGT said:   Dividend payout > interest rate on car note.
Penfed 1.49% loans can easily be made relatively risk free

If you've got a RCA paying more after taxes than your auto loan, that's relatively risk free. Buying a good, blue-chip dividend paying stock with a 5% yield and hoping that covers your interest costs, well, it didn't work so well for BP.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=5y&s=BP&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=bnd&ql=1

Actually it worked out fine... when you own a dividend stock you don't need to rely on capital appreciation. You buy it for the income. Now that the stock is dirt cheap you can simply reinvest the dividends.

This applies to both wives and loans

We swapped my wife's wedding ring's 2 side stones from sapphire to Tanzanite to match some ear-rings I got her a few years later. I'm on my 2nd wedding ring (first one is in the pacific ocean.) Neither swap has affected our marriage.

I would like to publicly thank GEO123 for his help when I bought my diamond for my wife over 5 years ago.

umcsom said:   I would like to publicly thank GEO123 for his help when I bought my diamond for my wife over 5 years ago.You're quite welcome. I cannot believe it has already been 5 years!

wife did not want a diamond or gold band. We have titanium. Actually changed from tungston. We like that it is lighter. $25 for both.

Used to say cz is ez, as the color is better than most diamonds, clarity is better and if You lose the rock then a replacement is just a few $.

Go on a trip or upgrade her crown vic.

geo123 said:   umcsom said:   I would like to publicly thank GEO123 for his help when I bought my diamond for my wife over 5 years ago.You're quite welcome. I cannot believe it has already been 5 years!

Geo- What did you do to help?

nothingevertodo said:   geo123 said:   umcsom said:   I would like to publicly thank GEO123 for his help when I bought my diamond for my wife over 5 years ago.You're quite welcome. I cannot believe it has already been 5 years!

Diamong/engagement ring considerations.

geo123 said:   nothingevertodo said:   geo123 said:   umcsom said:   I would like to publicly thank GEO123 for his help when I bought my diamond for my wife over 5 years ago.You're quite welcome. I cannot believe it has already been 5 years!

Diamong/engagement ring considerations.

I used that thread as well to get a rock from Good Old Gold for a really good price 4 years ago. Thanks, Geo!!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.