• Go to page :
  • 12 3 4
  • Text Only
I usually get gas card at gas station when Chase and Discover offer 5%. Our local grocery store also have 10 cents off per gal when purchase over $50, and some items you purchase also get a penny or two off per gallon. It will allow me to fill 20 gal max for discounted price. I often fill out average 25 cents off per gal to max 20 gal (since I do own a truck). My average price is about $0.35-$0.45 off per gal from the pump price, which yield about 10-15% saving.

depalma13 said:   I buy BP gift cards at Kohls with Discover and Chase Freedom and get the 5% discount at certain times of the year. Sometimes there is an extra bonus like on Black Friday.

During the year Publix will sell gift cards at $10 off $50, with a $50 purchase (used to be $25).

My local BP(next to a Kangaroo so prices are lowest in my area) gives the cash price for gift card purchases, so it lowers the price per gallon by a $.05.

Save just over 12% on my yearly gas purchases with this strategy.

For the record, I do not overspend on groceries to reach the $50. Everything I purchase at Publix is researched to be the lowest price for that item.

Publix has the $10 off $50 gas card going on this week.

Shell can only give you 10 cents per gallon off of gas for 100 points. Only the Kroger branded gas stations are set up to use 2000 points at a time. It was worth driving eight extra miles last night to get gas for $1.53 a gallon.

Costco is not the cheapest on everything, but I save enough a year in dog food and saline solution (Kirkland brands) to pay for my membership. Their customer service is also awesome, especially the return policy.

Consider the distance driven to get to a COSTCO to fill gas. 6% or 3% CashBack might not be worth driving that distance.

CptSavAHo said:   A hose and a siphon pump is the cheapest I've found to get gas around my neighborhood. Just remember not to get greedy, take too much and the neighbors will get suspicious!

Can you post your home address....I promise I won't get too greedy. If you are going to steal from others, it should be okay to steal from you too, right? What goes around will come around. You are warned!

Delete

Cratos said:   E85 biofuel. where I live it's 3.15 vs almost 3.80-4 for regular gas (almost $20 difference on tankful)
just make sure your car is compatible (few are),
I know Mercedes C class is, SAAB 9-5, some Chevy trucks...
+ pay with a Costco AMEX or similar card that gives gas Cash Back.

It's a scam, I tried using E85 for a month until realized that I was filling up alot more. Turns out E85 gave me about 25% less mileage and I was actually spending more! Needless to say I went back to regular gas. They should put a disclaimer on each E85 pump to that effect. Most people just look at the $/gallon and think they're saving money by using biofuel. Do your research.

miqie said:   brettdoyle said:   The absolute lowest price would be to fill up your tank and drive off, while not paying anything. If you can find a gas station that lets you pump before you pay which used to be the norm.
Yes! Just pretend gas is an entitlement. It belongs to you cause you can't afford to pay like everyone else.

Hey I have and idea! How about the people that drive the expensive cars pay 2% more per gallon? And the rest of us get a subsidized lower price? That way I can continue to drive my big SUV which is helping GMC, which helps the unions also. Yay prob solved!

kintro said:   depalma13 said:   jamesboy said:   Buy gift cards at a grocery store that offers 4X gas points. You save $1 per gallon plus an additional 5% off with a good gas rewards credit card. I'm not sure anything can beat that.

What gift cards are you buying?

If you are paying full price for a gift card, you are losing money on the front end (gift card) to save it on the back end (gas).

I doubt it's full price unless the store doesn't allow cc payment for GC's. Presumably he'd buy GC's with a 5 or 6 percent CB card. Some stores are harder to reach 5%+ CB through merchant coding (ie forementioned ARCO who only takes cash/debit, Target, SWA, Alaska Air, PETsMART, TRU, etc).

So it's not like robbing Peter to pay Paul because there's a CB benefit to buying the GC's and also the CB + fuel reward discount when gas is purchased.

i do this at Kroger with AMEX Blue cash (the old one) and Amazon GCs. We use Amazon for all kinds of stuff, so spending $200 on a GC isn't a bad deal. 5% at GC, 5% at gas station, plus 10c for every $100 spent on groceries and 4x gift cards. can lead to some hefty savings.

Tranft said:   Cratos said:   E85 biofuel. where I live it's 3.15 vs almost 3.80-4 for regular gas (almost $20 difference on tankful)

It's a scam, I tried using E85 for a month until realized that I was filling up alot more. Turns out E85 gave me about 25% less mileage and I was actually spending more! Needless to say I went back to regular gas. They should put a disclaimer on each E85 pump to that effect. Most people just look at the $/gallon and think they're saving money by using biofuel. Do your research.

I thought it was actually well known. Anyway, the best use of E85 is to put in a rental car when you're supposed to come back with a full tank, assuming that you're renting an FFV vehicle that is.

Tranft said:   Cratos said:   E85 biofuel. where I live it's 3.15 vs almost 3.80-4 for regular gas (almost $20 difference on tankful)

E85 and E10 IS a scam, in fact any pump fuel with ethanol is a scam. Ethanol, in the mixed form with gasoline is just bad. It is another crock the government has cooked up. It is simply watering down gasoline. Cars do not run as well on it, nor do they get any better gas mileage. The gas mileage is always worse. You can't store gasoline with ethanol with out adding an expensive stabilizer. And to top it off, it's yet another government subsidy.

I live close to a very large lake. Lots of boats, big and small. Ethanol gas in boats is a no-no due to poor long term storage, and many boats engines specifically say NO ETHANOL GAS. I can buy ethanol free gas, at the pump for about .50 more per gallon.

henry33 said:   Tranft said:   Cratos said:   E85 biofuel. where I live it's 3.15 vs almost 3.80-4 for regular gas (almost $20 difference on tankful)

I thought it was actually well known. Anyway, the best use of E85 is to put in a rental car when you're supposed to come back with a full tank, assuming that you're renting an FFV vehicle that is.

May karma ensure the previous renter of every car you rent in the future has the same philosophy.

Tom9999 said:   Shell can only give you 10 cents per gallon off of gas for 100 points. Only the Kroger branded gas stations are set up to use 2000 points at a time. It was worth driving eight extra miles last night to get gas for $1.53 a gallon.

This is not true. Specific regions can get $2.00 off at Shell also. Check your area here: Text

^^ I used to think that too. Until I got $.20 off at a shell station a few weeks ago.

>>I thought it was actually well known. Anyway, the best use of E85 is to put in a rental car when you're supposed to come back with a full tank, assuming that you're renting an FFV vehicle that is.

Wow. Makes sense if you ignore the fact that E85 is an inferior product. This is why E85 should be banned outright. Harm is guaranteed to be done.

1) Buy "groceries" at Smith's (Kroger), taking advantage of 4x point promo for gift cards. Buy Shell $100 gift cards, to double-dip.
2) use AMEX Blue Preferred or 5% CashBack grocery card.
3) Up to $2 off per gallon using Smith's points, pay with Shell gift card.

Anywhere from $500-1000 to get 2000 points, so that is either $30 or $60 CashBack from the AMEX depending on gift card spend, with a savings of anywhere between $26-30 to fill my small gas tank. It would be more if I had a gas guzzler, but then I would also be spending more money on gas.

I actually heard there are people buying gas on the side, I don't know how legal is that, I'll speculate on this, but I heard prices such as $3.2 for premium in NYC. It was not a surprise when I heard of it, there are many things sold illegally in NYC, such as cigarettes, because stores have them for $13 a pack. Also prescription drugs, such as strong painkiller.

The only card that works other then debit cards is the Costco American Express card. It is free with the membership. I was upgraded,for a year,to the card that gives you Cash Back...paid the normal $55 instead of the $111. Im honestly not sure how great a deal the gas is...will give it a shot for a year and see how it goes. Not really wild about Costco itself...store too large,parking horrible,pricing not that wonderful (I have compared),have to purchase in large quanities. All said,will give it a year.

unnamedny said:   I actually heard there are people buying gas on the side, I don't know how legal is that, I'll speculate on this, but I heard prices such as $3.2 for premium in NYC. It was not a surprise when I heard of it, there are many things sold illegally in NYC, such as cigarettes, because stores have them for $13 a pack. Also prescription drugs, such as strong painkiller.

I have access to so much cheap grocery store gas that I considered parlaying it into futures contract with local business fleets and such, but too much headache.

FLGAL said:   The only card that works other then debit cards is the Costco American Express card. It is free with the membership. I was upgraded,for a year,to the card that gives you Cash Back...paid the normal $55 instead of the $111. Im honestly not sure how great a deal the gas is...will give it a shot for a year and see how it goes. Not really wild about Costco itself...store too large,parking horrible,pricing not that wonderful (I have compared),have to purchase in large quanities. All said,will give it a year.Any AMEX card is accepted at Costco.

If your not happy with your new Costco membership, you can cancel it in store.

Vanilla10 said:   Tom9999 said:   Shell can only give you 10 cents per gallon off of gas for 100 points. Only the Kroger branded gas stations are set up to use 2000 points at a time. It was worth driving eight extra miles last night to get gas for $1.53 a gallon.

This is not true. Specific regions can get $2.00 off at Shell also. Check your area here: Text

In my area, it reads:

Can I choose my discount at Shell locations?

No. At participating shell stations you can only use 100 fuel points at a time.

So must vary by area.

Also, when buying GCs at Kgr, make sure to get appropriate points. During the last 4x sale, they only gave 2x points, called number on back of card and was corrected.

anyone sees pre-Xmas offers from any gas chain? It used to be:
1. Speedway used to sell its $50 cards for $46.
2. ExxonMobil would mail $10 card for every $100card you'd purchased
3. Any other gas-cards sold at discount along I-95 between NY and FL?

I'll be driving huge vehicle (55gal. tank) down that route Dec.22, and I face gas spending of $600 on that one day! What might be my best savings?

if someone wants a $70 kroger giftcard for $60, there is one on eBay now http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kroger-Plus-Card-with-2000-points-gas-di...

Buy $50 Shell gas card in Ralph
Find the cheapest credit/cash(2 different price) Shell Gas station in your area.
Surprise yourself by filling gas in that Shell with Ralph card.

6% CashBack with you know what credit card.
200 Ralph points is just enough to get you $.20 off per gal in Shell gas station.
Last is the best ---> you pay cash price with shell gas card.

Same scheme applies to Vons/safeway deal but with a different brand gas station with unverified cash price deal(if you verified it, post a followup.)

Does anyone else have a problem using the Penfed card at Shell? I pretty much boycott Shell because I've gone to several Shells and my Penfed card always gets declined, with a message to call the card issuer. Penfed says they can see no activity (authorizations, declines, etc) from Shell.

Zipcode is entered correctly, and my card works everywhere else.

It used to tick me off big time because there is a Shell station next to my boat storage yard.

any on East Coast?

JATL said:   Consider the distance driven to get to a COSTCO to fill gas. 6% or 3% CashBack might not be worth driving that distance.
True. My Costco is about 2 miles from my house in the direction away from work. Since my gas-guzzling SUV is lucky to get 17 mpg city, that 4 mile RT can cost me 75 cents to fill 17 gallons. So I only stop there if I'm going to Costco or a business where the Costco is on the way. Conversely, if the price is right, I'll stop when I pass it by just to put in 3-4 gallons.

jonesjeremya said:   Tranft said:   Cratos said:   E85 biofuel. where I live it's 3.15 vs almost 3.80-4 for regular gas (almost $20 difference on tankful)

E85 and E10 IS a scam, in fact any pump fuel with ethanol is a scam. Ethanol, in the mixed form with gasoline is just bad. It is another crock the government has cooked up. It is simply watering down gasoline. Cars do not run as well on it, nor do they get any better gas mileage. The gas mileage is always worse. You can't store gasoline with ethanol with out adding an expensive stabilizer. And to top it off, it's yet another government subsidy.

I live close to a very large lake. Lots of boats, big and small. Ethanol gas in boats is a no-no due to poor long term storage, and many boats engines specifically say NO ETHANOL GAS. I can buy ethanol free gas, at the pump for about .50 more per gallon.

Owch.. 50 cents more per gallon.. Here 711 has it for 6 cents more per gallon.

I just buy gas here with my Penfed card.

thanks for link to Hess; but aren't gas cards always on sale one way or other? So why not use a proper CC to buy discounted cards?
bksavings said:   I just buy gas here with my Penfed card.

I already posted how I do it. Here's a picture I found on my phone from May that might interest you.

Never fill your own car with E85.
Always fill the rental with E85.

kvs25 said:   If I buy a gas station GC at a supermarket and try to use it, they will count that as cash, correct?? and NOT credit?
Depends on the chain, actually, and sometimes on individual gas stations. In my area, Exxon/Mobil and Shell charge credit card price when I pay with GCs, but next to my work, Shell charges cash price. I called Shell corporate and they told me it was up to each station.

Vanilla10 said:   Tom9999 said:   Shell can only give you 10 cents per gallon off of gas for 100 points. Only the Kroger branded gas stations are set up to use 2000 points at a time. It was worth driving eight extra miles last night to get gas for $1.53 a gallon.

Seems that the Shell site does state some Shell stations can do the $2/gal. The Kroger link shows shell stations that I know for a fact (at least as of a month or so ago) could only process 100 points per fillup. I will have to check to see if it has changed locally since that would be slightly more convenient than running to the closest Kroger gas station. The Shell right across the street has the Kroger prices as the big numbers on their sign, with tiny print "with 100 Kroger points". If they could process 2000 at a time, I'm sure they would be advertising gas at $1.35/gallon with tiny "with 2000 Kroger points".

http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/products_services/on_the_ro...

elist said:   As others have mentioned CB credit cards and grocery stores is what we do.

Our Kroger grocery stores have a point system for purchases and 4x points on gift cards during certain times when we stock up. This is redeemed with up to $2 off a gallon of gasoline up to 35 gallons pumped. Lets run the numbers.

Assumptions:

$3.50/gallon regular price for gas.
Purchased gift cards to gas stations from Kroger, Currently Shell and BP (equates to 14% off)
AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (6% off at grocery stores)

So for 35 gallons of gas you end up getting it for $2.80/gallon.

You have to jump through the hoops of buying the gift cards at the right times with the right card, but it is worth it for our household. Also the investment in a couple of gas cans if your vehicles don't hold 35 gallons at once (ours don't).

Still, you DID say the absolute lowest price...

I do a variation of this... Since there are always things I need at stores where I don't get max CB from my cards, I'll buy gift cards @ Kroger. I've been doing a lot of home projects, so I'll buy Lowes giftcards @ Kroger using AMEX BCP. That's a net 4% savings, because I'm now effectively getting 6% CB @ Lowes vs. the 2% I'd normally get using the Priceline Visa. Then there's an effective 14% savings at the current Kroger promotions of 4x points for gift cards and max $2 off 35 gallons, and I use my Penfed card for another 5%. This is before factoring in the fact that Kroger already tends to have the lowest price for premium in my area anyway.

For anyone struggling to maximize the savings by getting 35 gallons at one time... my car only holds about 16 gallons for a fill-up, so I bring gas cans and get a full 35 gallons. Four of these 5 gallon fuel cans will easily get you to 35 gallons, even on a smaller tank (they will hold closer to 6g if you push them). I love these fuel cans, because they are meant for track duty, and don't have to conform to the same regulations that have made all other gas cans such a PITA to use. They have very large openings to add gas, and good size non-restrictive hoses, so you can actually fuel your car up fairly fast with these. Current gas cans like you'd buy @ HD/Lowes are very slow, and tend to drip or have other issues. Note that these cans are ONLY cans. You also need to buy a separate filler tube. It screws into the caps that come with the cans. I only bought one tube for the four cans, since I only need one filler hose. I wish I'd bought an extra cap so I could easily bring the four cans with me w/o the filler hose attached. These cans come four to a case, so if you buy four, they come in a box that is perfectly sized to carry four to the gas station rather than having four individual cans loose in the back of your vehicle.

The only question now is: will Kroger extend the max $2 off again? If not, the possible 14% portion of the savings gets reduced to 7%.

can anyone confirm that Kroger store and Kroger gas in Richmond VA near I-95 exit are all GO for all these strategies?

I'm driving multi-passenger vehicle with 55gal tank Dec.22 from NY-FL and Jan.1 FL-NY and looking to max. out any gas/cards trick in the book

rpi1967 said:   There is a lot to like about burning food in our cars rather than having to do so in our bodiesYea right. The food we burn in our combustible engines isn't just food for humans. It's also feed for domesticated animals.

The math alone shows that ethanol produced from corn is a giant waste of resources. The only ethanol produced from crops that is cost effective is from sugar cane and switch grass.

But back to saving money on gasoline. I too live in Minnesota so these are my strategies.

Penfed + gasoline reseller coupons(gallon limit) + double coupon Tuesday at gasoline resellers + grocery store rewards discount per gallon = max reduced gas prices

So say gas is $3.25 per gallon for 87 octane unleaded 10% ethanol blend. Holiday station stores routinely mail me $.10 off per gallon coupons. Their website has $.05 coupons nearly all the time so I'll use this figure for the example. Then I use my Cub Foods rewards card to save another $.05 per gallon since I purchased $50 in groceries this week. Then I pay with Penfed.

+$3.25
-$0.05 coupon
-$0.05 doubled coupon for Tuesday
-$0.05 discount when cub rewards card is swiped
=$3.10
-$0.155 penfed reward
=$2.945 per gallon

$2.945/$3.25 = .906
So my $1 is worth $1.094 if I want to expend some additional time. And when Holiday sends me the $.10 per gallon coupon I'm getting the most out of my fuel dollars where $1 is worth $1.123.

Sams Club is across the street and sells gas as a loss leader. They typically sell at $.07 - $.10 less than Holiday's advertised price if you want a no hassle(membership cost) pump experience.

Other deals I look for are on gas gift cards.

Cub Foods has seasonal offers where they will give you $5-10 in grocery gift cards when you buy $100 from their gift card mall display. Shell Stations are on the display so you can save 10% on fuel and all you have to do is buy more food.

Citibank's thank you points regularly has a daily deal for Shell Station gift cards where a $25 card can be purchased for $20 in exchange for 5 thank you points. This one is a no brainer so I buy as many as they will sell me.

Lastly, I also never fill up my tank all the way. I only fill three quarters of the tank just to save on MPG. Avoid carrying around a lot of stuff in your car to reduce weight. Take the early shift if your work allows it to avoid traffic.

All of this is really a pain in the ass when gas prices would fall if we did not have so many regulations that mandate local refineries produce 25-40 fuel blends. The effect of these mandates is a supply chain that is choked 24 hours a day. The United States has twice as many vehicles on the roads today that it did in 1980. We have half as many refineries today as we did in 1980. Most refineries closed their doors because they could not compete with the big players that could comply with the mandates. These mandates come from the Feds, the States, and Muni governments.

"Citibank's thank you points regularly has a daily deal for Shell Station gift cards where a $25 card can be purchased for $20 in exchange for 5 thank you points"

do you have direct link to that? I assume this works in NY - but what are the limitations? I need $1000 in gas cards for my 55-gal tank NY-FL-NY Dec.22-Jan.2

Solandri said:   Cratos said:   E85 biofuel. where I live it's 3.15 vs almost 3.80-4 for regular gas (almost $20 difference on tankful)

E85 ethanol has 27% less energy per gallon than gasoline. So while you're paying $3.15 per gallon, on a per mile traveled basis you're paying the equivalent of $4.31 gas.

Or put another way, if you fill a 15 gallon tank with E85 at $3.15/gallon, you'd pay $47.25. But that tank will only take you as far as 10.95 gallons of gasoline. 10.95 gallons of gasoline would've cost you $43.76 at $4/gallon.

E85, according to that website is actually between 50 and 85% ethanol. I believe the 27% figure is approximately for 85% ethanol. Ethanol has about 66% the energy content of gas, so it would be .85 * .66 + .15. If it were 50%, it would be .5 * .66 + .5, or about 17%. However, the energy content is not the whole story. ethanol has much higher octane than gasoline does. If the vehicle is properly tuned, the engine management computer can take advantage of the increased octane by adjusting the ignition timing to more efficiently extract the energy content and turn it into mechanical energy. Your typical internal combustion engine is between 20 and 30% efficient at turning the energy content of fuel into mechanical energy, so there is quite a bit of wiggle room here. You really need an honest mileage test to get real numbers. Unfortunately it may vary from vehicle to vehicle and from one batch of fuel to the next making this difficult.

I saw another website that claimed typical mileage drop was 20-25% (which seems reasonable to me), but they also quoted someone with a Flex Fuel Chevy Avalanche that claimed he saw a 50% mileage drop (seems hard to believe). So I guess the bottom line is, never have truer words been uttered... Take this for what its worth, your mileage may vary...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014