• Go to page :
  • 123 4
  • Text Only
Newer vehicles won't see as much reduction in fuel economy when using e85. But the components in the entire car have to be adapted to withstand the increase of h2o in ethanol.

do you have direct link to that?Just log into www.thankyou.com periodically. Mornings are best as the daily deal is a limited quantity.

Which PenFed card are you all talking about: PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Card? I see that one give 5% on gas.

But then I see PenFed Platinum Rewards Card give 5 points on gas and 3 points on groceries.

Which one is a better option?

Hi Axiom, you sound pretty bright about this, and are also from Minnesota like me, so I read your post carefully. All this talk of Kroger this and Kroger that is making me confused, but jealous because it sounds like something that would be nice to have here in Minnesota.

I try to avoid holiday because the few minutes I am pumping gas I want to just zone out and look at the sky peacefully. Then they install that goddam television screen right in the pump yapping and yelling at me trying to sell me 2 bags of potato chips for 3 bucks and a bigbuddy soda with a hotdog and all this crap for petes sake. Enough to drive a man seeking just a little peace and quiet to madness.

But I do agree that the cub rewards are really nice if you have them. Everyone has to eat so its really easy to get them, since its something you would buy anyway and using penfed on top of that really sweetens the deal.

HOWEVER..... I am not sure how much longer I am going to go the Cub/Holiday route. After reading many the posts on here, I learned about that AMEX card offering 4% CashBack on costco gas. I quickly got one of those. That 4% card coupled with the fact that costco gas was 10 cents/gal cheaper than other stations has motivated me to go that route. And in most areas, it appears that costco has better prices and/or better quality food than Cub. In addition, Costco is a decent company with a CEO that doesn't make millons per year while the employees are treated like crap, so I feel good about shopping there. Thus, because I will start doing most of my shopping at Costco, I anticipate I will earn fewer Cub rewards. To make it worth my while to go the Cub/Holiday route, I need at least 15 cents of rewards banked, and I need to use them before they expire. They seem to expire quick.

I am also thinking of using gas cans to transport gas from costco. But I have a minivan and am worried that gas fumes may seep out of the container while I am driving home. Dscline if you are reading this, do you have any comments on that concern of mine?

I know I can do slightly better, but this route to me is the best all around option I have come across.

OliverQuackenbush said:   
I am also thinking of using gas cans to transport gas from costco. But I have a minivan and am worried that gas fumes may seep out of the container while I am driving home. Dscline if you are reading this, do you have any comments on that concern of mine?

No reason to worry about the fumes, gas can caps were changed years ago to contain the fumes, just like the car fill caps were (making them harder to get on/off.) My concern would be that if some moron hits you and cans are able to move about, they could break the lids off. I know that is a remote possibility, but the thought of sitting with a firebomb inside my car leaves me less than thrilled.

Can you add capacity to your tank outside the passenger compartment? That is only way I would feel safe about doing it.

OliverQuackenbush said:   I am also thinking of using gas cans to transport gas from costco. But I have a minivan and am worried that gas fumes may seep out of the container while I am driving home. Dscline if you are reading this, do you have any comments on that concern of mine?
There's no reason for fumes to get out of the containers if you have the caps on tight. I have a wagon, and I don't smell fumes when bringing gas home. As Mickie3 points out, gas is very flammable, so it can add extra risk in case of a freak accident, though I wouldn't be overly concerned if you're just bringing it straight home from the station. People carry gas home in their cars all the time for their lawn mowers, etc. I just do a larger volume of it, more often.

If you have a proper container and use THAT much gas, you can have it delivered. A lot of my neighbors have it delivered, but don't think you will get away with using farm fuel in your car. That trick hasn't worked in at least 50 years, as I am told.

I carry 20 gallons or so with me in gerry cans from station to home, but that is for the equipment here (just a few things I have - tractor, generators, lawn equipment, etc.) Not paranoid about it, but always fill those cans right before I come home.

Like other posters already on this thread, my strategy involves use of gift cards. There are limits, though. I'm about a year out now and that's as far as I'm willing to go, even for this:

I get a straight 10% off whatever the price of gas might be. This is owing to a CC rewards deal which allowed me to buy my GCs at 10% off. My savings are reduced, though, by the carrying cost for the gift cards. Right now that carrying cost is slightly over 0.5%/year on average, taking tax into consideration. Hence the one year limit I have placed on myself. It's still a decent saving, just not the full 10%.

I don't really understand the idea of spending a bunch of time trying to save 10 cents a gallon on gas? Unless you are buying huge volumes how can you not be wasting more time than it is worth?

You're talking about 1.20-1.50 savings on an average sized tank.

PatrickM213 said:   I don't really understand the idea of spending a bunch of time trying to save 10 cents a gallon on gas? Unless you are buying huge volumes how can you not be wasting more time than it is worth?

I can do most of the planning between commercials of a sporting event I'm watching on TV. My search for IllinoisGasPrices took me about two minutes to set up and is on my favorites bar in Chrome, and my Speedway, Shell, and Thornton gift cards are next to the monitor.

PatrickM213 said:   I don't really understand the idea of spending a bunch of time trying to save 10 cents a gallon on gas? Unless you are buying huge volumes how can you not be wasting more time than it is worth?

All savings are relative. I like to measure mine in terms of the time I would have to work to earn that savings. $3 every trip to the pump, 52 times a year pays for my food on vacation.

axiom said:   All savings are relative. I like to measure mine in terms of the time I would have to work to earn that savings. $3 every trip to the pump, 52 times a year pays for my food on vacation.You sound like my dad... he measures according to how many weeks he can have a rotisserie chicken from Costco.

If it was for $1.50 or just 10 cents per gallon, nobody would bother. People that do it properly save $25 to $60 per fill up. Yes, there is added effort and time wasted but I consider it worthwhile.

I mean, walk into a fuel rewards grocery store, buy a few hundred dollars of GCs at 6% CB + whatever promo they are offering like the recent $25 off $50 catalina coupon at safeway. Fill up the tank and gas cans. Is that really spending a lot of extra time?

It is pretty easy to save $1 per gallon (or $2 per gallon for the lucky people in the correct geo-region)

" buy a few hundred dollars of GCs at 6% CB + whatever promo they are offering like the recent $25 off $50 catalina coupon at safeway. Fill up the tank and gas cans."

Spending hundreds of dollars at once on gas if you aren't a truck driver is just silly.

krutis said:   No need to worry my friend, this Amex card will give you 4% back at Costco gas stations.

Though not for the impatient as you get your bonus check only once a year.

clemente21 said:   axiom said:   All savings are relative. I like to measure mine in terms of the time I would have to work to earn that savings. $3 every trip to the pump, 52 times a year pays for my food on vacation.You sound like my dad... he measures according to how many weeks he can have a rotisserie chicken from Costco.I'm in Dad spring training myself.

PatrickM213 said:   " buy a few hundred dollars of GCs at 6% CB + whatever promo they are offering like the recent $25 off $50 catalina coupon at safeway. Fill up the tank and gas cans."

Spending hundreds of dollars at once on gas if you aren't a truck driver is just silly.

I don't buy gas gift cards, so your comment may not be directed at me, though I don't see what you find so silly about it. If that's the most economical choice for the OP, then why not? I pay my electric bill three months at a time, because I net more through my credit card CashBack than the fee charged for paying the bill via credit card. Paying three months at a time reduces the total fees paid. Like the OP, I fill up my car AND gas cans, to maximize the $2 off per gallon I get through Kroger. Paying less per unit when buying in quantity is fairly typical across most forms of commerce. If buying a larger volume for a net savings seems silly to you, then spending valuable time on a forum to find good deals must seem asinine, yet here you are.

PatrickM213 said:   " buy a few hundred dollars of GCs at 6% CB + whatever promo they are offering like the recent $25 off $50 catalina coupon at safeway. Fill up the tank and gas cans."

I am not a truck driver. Typically the gas portion is around $60 for me, not hundreds.

The hundreds of dollars spent required to receive a discount on fuel isn't limited to gas or gas GC's. I'll occasionally buy an ARCO GC since they are convenient for me but really it's more about buying GC for the merchants I like.

At this time of year, it is 4x rewards. Buy $250 on Target GC's at safeway. That's $15 in CB from AmX. Receive $25 catalina coupon (which I realize is worthless to some people). Buy 25 gallons. Save $25 here + ~$4 from credit card CB

Is that "silly" or too much "wasted time"? To each his own.

Buy 10,000 Gallons of Diesel at auction, trade for regular gasoline gallon for gallon at truck stop:

http://rasmuscatalog.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?rasmus1371/18220

Doing the math:

Trip into Kroger to buy gift cards: 10 minutes
Trip TO Kroger gas (10 extra miles round trip): 10 minutes
Refill tank from 15 gallons of cans: 10 minutes

Savings: $70 (35 gallons X $2/gallon)
Costs: 1/2 gallon of gas @ $1.35 = $.68 (ignoring cost of extra gas can I had to buy - that was paid for from first visit)
Hourly rate: $138.64

I do this about twice a month and if I time things right, those are the only two times I have to visit a gas station.

Tom9999 said:   Doing the math:

Trip into Kroger to buy gift cards: 10 minutes
Trip TO Kroger gas (10 extra miles round trip): 10 minutes
Refill tank from 15 gallons of cans: 10 minutes

Savings: $70 (35 gallons X $2/gallon)
Costs: 1/2 gallon of gas @ $1.35 = $.68 (ignoring cost of extra gas can I had to buy - that was paid for from first visit)
Hourly rate: $138.64

I do this about twice a month and if I time things right, those are the only two times I have to visit a gas station.

Hah, that's almost identical to me. The Kroger I buy stuff at is less than a block away. But I walk there, so it's still probably about 10 mins. The closest Kroger that has gas is probably about 3 miles away. But the error in your calculation: spending 10 minutes to refill from gas cans. At least for me, it would probably take just as long to go to a gas station and fill up as it would to fill up at home from cans. I also wouldn't include the time to buy gift cards, as I buy those when I'm already at Kroger anyway, and I typically would be getting those gift cards anyway, since that gets me 6%CB as opposed to often less at those stores. So really, the only extra time involved is driving to the 3 mile away Kroger to get gas and filling up extra cans, as opposed to just filling up at some place more convenient.

For me, one trip a month (35 gallons) typically does it.

Obviously mine are all estimates. I usually don't shop at Kroger (Costco and meijer are my preferred stores), so it is usually a special trip when I need cards. There are three Krogers within a mile of my daily travels, so it is just the extra time in line. I am surprised more people don't - the cashier was shocked when I bought $1500 in Home Depot cards the other day. The bagger was confused as to why a bag of rice cost $1501.75. The newer five and six gallon cans that don't have air inlets are a PITA to fill the tank from, so it does take more time than just a stop at a random station I pass. I should probably invest in a siphon/pump. Hope they keep the 2000 point usage going in the new year - being limited to 1000 at a time would be more of a pain.

dscline said:   elist said:   As others have mentioned CB credit cards and grocery stores is what we do.

Our Kroger grocery stores have a point system for purchases and 4x points on gift cards during certain times when we stock up. This is redeemed with up to $2 off a gallon of gasoline up to 35 gallons pumped. Lets run the numbers.

Assumptions:

$3.50/gallon regular price for gas.
Purchased gift cards to gas stations from Kroger, Currently Shell and BP (equates to 14% off)
AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (6% off at grocery stores)

So for 35 gallons of gas you end up getting it for $2.80/gallon.

You have to jump through the hoops of buying the gift cards at the right times with the right card, but it is worth it for our household. Also the investment in a couple of gas cans if your vehicles don't hold 35 gallons at once (ours don't).

Still, you DID say the absolute lowest price...

I do a variation of this... Since there are always things I need at stores where I don't get max CB from my cards, I'll buy gift cards @ Kroger. I've been doing a lot of home projects, so I'll buy Lowes giftcards @ Kroger using AMEX BCP. That's a net 4% savings, because I'm now effectively getting 6% CB @ Lowes vs. the 2% I'd normally get using the Priceline Visa. Then there's an effective 14% savings at the current Kroger promotions of 4x points for gift cards and max $2 off 35 gallons, and I use my Penfed card for another 5%. This is before factoring in the fact that Kroger already tends to have the lowest price for premium in my area anyway.

For anyone struggling to maximize the savings by getting 35 gallons at one time... my car only holds about 16 gallons for a fill-up, so I bring gas cans and get a full 35 gallons. Four of these 5 gallon fuel cans will easily get you to 35 gallons, even on a smaller tank (they will hold closer to 6g if you push them). I love these fuel cans, because they are meant for track duty, and don't have to conform to the same regulations that have made all other gas cans such a PITA to use. They have very large openings to add gas, and good size non-restrictive hoses, so you can actually fuel your car up fairly fast with these. Current gas cans like you'd buy @ HD/Lowes are very slow, and tend to drip or have other issues. Note that these cans are ONLY cans. You also need to buy a separate filler tube. It screws into the caps that come with the cans. I only bought one tube for the four cans, since I only need one filler hose. I wish I'd bought an extra cap so I could easily bring the four cans with me w/o the filler hose attached. These cans come four to a case, so if you buy four, they come in a box that is perfectly sized to carry four to the gas station rather than having four individual cans loose in the back of your vehicle.

The only question now is: will Kroger extend the max $2 off again? If not, the possible 14% portion of the savings gets reduced to 7%.

Where do you store theses gas can? ( In car, House or outside the house )

We are here (have time)to share idea. We usually have more time less money.

It is ok if you can not figure it out, because it does not fit your life style.

If you want something bad, you can always figure out ways to save both time and money.

Gas gets stored in the detached garage. Inside the house is never a good idea, nor is anywhere near an ignition site - like a water heater.

Typically, Costco is the same price (or cheaper) as the cheapest Arco in my area. (SoCal) That's before the 3% off using the Costco AMEX card. Sometimes, if the price is moving quickly, Costco won't be the cheapest, but that's rare for me.

I've got a Cosco on my way to work, and when I'm there around 7:30 AM, 95% of the time, I drive right up to an empty pump. Don't go in the evening unless you have to, and NEVER on the weekend.

PhinTron said:   Where do you store theses gas can? ( In car, House or outside the house )
Tom9999 said:   Gas gets stored in the detached garage.

Same here.

If you want to get really anal about it-- how much fuel are you wasting by driving with a full tank?

Tom9999 said:   The newer five and six gallon cans that don't have air inlets are a PITA to fill the tank from, so it does take more time than just a stop at a random station I pass. I should probably invest in a siphon/pump.
Check out the cans I linked to in my first post in the thread. They are intended for track use, so they don't have to follow the same regulations as "consumer" cans. I can fill up quite fast with these. The new consumer grade cans are worthless.

The best way to save on gas is to drive less!

If you keep going to Costco Gas, make sure you ignore which side of your car the gas goes in and get on the shortest line possible. They got enough cabling slinking above that you can fill your gas in any position you'd like. When it's super busy this is a negligible time saver, middle of the day or something though it may be the difference between filling up right away and waiting 5mins for the idiot in front of you to figure out how to pay at the pump.

Yep, that's why I don't bother with Costco gas. I do not want to waste 15 minutes getting gas and worse waiting in a line. The gas station by my house, I pull up and get gas. Every time.

Costco is the closest gas station to my house, so that's where I go, usually at an hour when it's not jam packed.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.