• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am a bit flummoxed and need help. I went through a broker called beemalife who in turn ran app through Metlife. I am in good health- but have two rear ending incidents on DMV report that occurred last year and both resulted in points (only violations for last three years). While my medical checkup results were perfect, Metlife rejected my app due to driving record. I am somewhat mad at beemalife at not asking me questions on this topic upfront and warning me abt it. Now situation has got a bit complicated. Beemalife says that I should nevertheless take a small life insurance for an astronomical amount from Metlife to avoid filing of some kind of report by Metlife in consolidated records that will stick around for 9 years and will prevent me from getting life insurance ever (or atleast for next nine years). I find it ludicrous that I pay a kind of penalty for 15 years for ever going through the process. I am 41. My question is that if I keep good health and good driving record for next 3-4 years, should this rejection at all matter.

Thanks for help.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
We are talking about life insurance. That has nothing at all to do with health insurance

SUCKISSTAPLES (Dec. 03, 2012 @ 9:21p) |

"Terrible offers" is about the insurance company. "Scaring you" is about the agent.
Find a new agent and get insurance... (more)

BrodyInsurance (Dec. 04, 2012 @ 7:36a) |

At this point, i really doubt we have the full story. While im no fan of bad insurance agents, im starting to wonder if... (more)

dhodson (Dec. 04, 2012 @ 7:43a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Did either of the accidents involve alcohol or drugs?

no- not at all

no- simple unfortunate rear endind due to following too closely. DMV report says "following too closely" on one and "improper driving" on other.

Please take a driving class , you are not a safe driver and are risking injury to yourself and others

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Please take a driving class , you are not a safe driver and are risking injury to yourself and others

very helpful comment. Can we revert back to question I posed.

Both accidents occurred in 2011?

I would think that you shouldn't feel pressured to buy a policy. It should be assumed that people can shop around.

The problem is that they declined him, and he'll have to answer 'yes' that he has been declined for coverage by another carrier. (If I understand correctly)

pashu said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Please take a driving class , you are not a safe driver and are risking injury to yourself and others

very helpful comment. Can we revert back to question I posed.

Didnt think i had to make the connection for you and spell it out- Your unsafe driving habits are causing this particular life insurer to not want the risk of writing a life policy at preferred risk rates against someone who can't drive properly .

It is no different than Charging higher rates to smokers or declining sky divers. Your poor druving is an increased risk. Take some personal responsibility .

ryoung81 said:   The problem is that they declined him, and he'll have to answer 'yes' that he has been declined for coverage by another carrier. (If I understand correctly)

That is one problem. I assume that insurance companies would investigate in their underwriting policy the reason for rejection in future- but I may be wrong. It is automated underwriting world and possibly they go by what they see in database. If that is the case, I may still go with taking on the penalty insurance for making the mistake of "going through a bad broker". In context of that issue. I am expecting that some fatwalleter may either be an insurance expert or may have faced such a situation himself.

why not start coverage with them and at the same time look with another agent. This time try to find someone who is really independent and get coverage in force. At that time cancel the first policy.

and yes please go to driving school. You seem to minimize the fact that you are at fault for this problem.

Is there a way he can do another application before while still 'considering' the one at MetLife?

pashu said:   I am a bit flummoxed and need help. I went through a broker called beemalife who in turn ran app through Metlife. I am in good health- but have two rear ending incidents on DMV report that occurred last year and both resulted in points (only violations for last three years). While my medical checkup results were perfect, Metlife rejected my app due to driving record. I am somewhat mad at beemalife at not asking me questions on this topic upfront and warning me abt it. Now situation has got a bit complicated. Beemalife says that I should nevertheless take a small life insurance for an astronomical amount from Metlife to avoid filing of some kind of report by Metlife in consolidated records that will stick around for 9 years and will prevent me from getting life insurance ever (or atleast for next nine years). I find it ludicrous that I pay a kind of penalty for 15 years for ever going through the process. I am 41. My question is that if I keep good health and good driving record for next 3-4 years, should this rejection at all matter.

Thanks for help.

I understand the rating, but I don't understand how accepting/not accepting this policy will help you/hurt you when it comes time to get insurance in the future.

Regardless of what you do with this policy, when you apply for insurance in the future, you will still have to answer "yes" to the question of being rated or turned down in the past. It isn't the fact that you have been rated in the past that is going to be the issue. The issue will still be your driving record.

Before knowing about your driving record, they felt that MetLife would be the best company for you. Now that they know that you have this terrible driving record, have they looked around to see if MetLife is still the best for you?

Doesn't it bother u that his agent doesn't seem to have done that.

dhodson said:   Doesn't it bother u that his agent doesn't seem to have done that.

It would bother me if the agent didn't do that which is why I asked the question. Because the OP specifically mentioned no other driving incidents in the past three years, I wonder if he is intentionally not telling us about older stuff.

dhodson said:   why not start coverage with them and at the same time look with another agent.
OP said "rejected". I take it that Metlife is simply not willing to provide coverage (at any rate classification) to OP.

uutxs said:   dhodson said:   why not start coverage with them and at the same time look with another agent.
OP said "rejected". I take it that Metlife is simply not willing to provide coverage (at any rate classification) to OP.

The OP also said, "Beemalife says that I should nevertheless take a small life insurance for an astronomical amount from Metlife"

OP said: (only violations for last three years)

As if 2 violations, both for rear-ending someone, in the same year, are no big deal...

MetLife is being very SMART by declining you. Your driving is horrible and is the #1 cause of death for people under 40 years old!

BrodyInsurance said:   uutxs said:   dhodson said:   why not start coverage with them and at the same time look with another agent.

The OP also said, "Beemalife says that I should nevertheless take a small life insurance for an astronomical amount from Metlife"

Didnt read that part carefully; my bad.

You are much better informed than me on this but that statement from Beemalife seems like a load of bull, unless there is more to OP's background than revealed in this thread. Metlife might have some hard guideline and OP's two violations might be unacceptable to them. If if that is all there is to it, I suspect other insurance companies would be more than willing to write a policy.

uutxs said:   BrodyInsurance said:   uutxs said:   dhodson said:   why not start coverage with them and at the same time look with another agent.

Didnt read that part carefully; my bad.

You are much better informed than me on this but that statement from Beemalife seems like a load of bull, unless there is more to OP's background than revealed in this thread. Metlife might have some hard guideline and OP's two violations might be unacceptable to them. If if that is all there is to it, I suspect other insurance companies would be more than willing to write a policy.

I don't think that we are getting the full picture. 2 moving violations within the last three years won't stop someone from getting decent rates. It is carrier specific, but let's stick with Met on this one. With Met, if that was the whole story, he would still be able to get standard plus rates from them. When they look at MVR records, they typically go back 5 years. OP, what isn't being told to us?

^ this is true. Met would not decline this case. The fact that the agent is recommending a smaller policy with astronomical cost from Met proves that you were not declined. You may have been issued with standard rates plus an extra charge due to the driving record. This could seem astronomical compared to the preferred rates you probably expected.

At this point, it doesn't matter if you buy a policy from Met or not. They will have already notified the MIB database that you applied for insurance and were not issued as applied for due to driving record. This will not prevent you from getting insurance. When you apply to another company, you will answer the questions honestly (of course). One will be have you ever been issued a rated policy, to which you would answer yes. There will also be a question about driving, which you will answer as asked. The MIB database is only relevant in that it allows the insurer to "check up" on your answers. If you are not honest on your application, and they find something contradictory in the MIB database, it's a red flag for them to dig further. In your situation, you will just answer the questions honestly, and they will underwrite according to their guidelines. If your driving record is acceptable to another insurer, the fact that Met felt differently will have no effect--as long as you are upfront and honest on their app.

RBirns said:   They will have already notified the MIB database that you applied for insurance and were not issued as applied for due to driving record. This will not prevent you from getting insuranceSo when Beemalife told the OP it would be "better" for him to accept the higher cost insurance "to avoid filing of some kind of report by Metlife in consolidated records that will stick around for 9 years" that is simply not correct in any scenario?

It is hard to tell if MetLife rejected the OP outright, or if they offered an alternative policy to the OP which he could accept and avoid reporting of rejection to MIB. Or is that just BS from Beemalife?

RBirns said:   You may have been issued with standard rates plus an extra charge due to the driving record. Would two rear end accidents in the past 3 years really cause Metlife to drop the OP down to standard plus flat extra? I am looking at their underwriting guidelines, which say that while Elite Plus limits moving violations to 1 in the past 3 years, their Elite allows for 2 moving violations within the past 3 years as long as there were no DWI convictions in the past 5 years. I presume that by "moving violations" they probably mean tickets and that accidents are more serious, but would it really knock the OP down to standard plus flat extra?

Alcibiades said:   RBirns said:   They will have already notified the MIB database that you applied for insurance and were not issued as applied for due to driving record. This will not prevent you from getting insuranceSo when Beemalife told the OP it would be "better" for him to accept the higher cost insurance "to avoid filing of some kind of report by Metlife in consolidated records that will stick around for 9 years" that is simply not correct in any scenario?

It is hard to tell if MetLife rejected the OP outright, or if they offered an alternative policy to the OP which he could accept and avoid reporting of rejection to MIB. Or is that just BS from Beemalife?

It is BS from Beemalife, or at least their attempt to save a sale. There is no such policy or procedure to avoid reporting to MIB.

By the way, why was the application made with Metlife in the first place? If the OP really is as healthy as he describes himself and is 41, there are quite a few other companies that have better rates and, at least on paper, have more relaxed underwriting when it comes to motor vehicle violations.

I don't know if this will be as stringent or not but I was able to get a couple 100k policies with no physical from autoowners for $125/yr each. They might have lighter underwriting standards and work for you to at least have something.

geo123 said:   RBirns said:   You may have been issued with standard rates plus an extra charge due to the driving record. Would two read end accidents in the past 3 years really cause Metlife to drop the OP down to standard plus flat extra? I am looking at their underwriting guidelines, which say that while Elite Plus limits moving violations to 1 in the past 3 years, their Elite allows for 2 moving violations within the past 3 years as long as there were no DWI convictions in the past 5 years. I presume that by "moving violations" they probably mean tickets and that accidents are more serious, but would it really knock the OP down to standard plus flat extra?

Most likely, 2 violations would drop him down to standard plus without any flat extra. As I said previously, we are missing from the OP what happened before the past three years.

geo123 said:   By the way, why was the application made with Metlife in the first place? If the OP really is as healthy as he describes himself and is 41, there are quite a few other companies that have better rates and, at least on paper, have more relaxed underwriting when it comes to motor vehicle violations.

Good question.

geo123 said:   RBirns said:   You may have been issued with standard rates plus an extra charge due to the driving record. Would two read end accidents in the past 3 years really cause Metlife to drop the OP down to standard plus flat extra? I am looking at their underwriting guidelines, which say that while Elite Plus limits moving violations to 1 in the past 3 years, their Elite allows for 2 moving violations within the past 3 years as long as there were no DWI convictions in the past 5 years. I presume that by "moving violations" they probably mean tickets and that accidents are more serious, but would it really knock the OP down to standard plus flat extra?

It's possible, especially if they interpret "improper driving" on the MVR to be same as reckless driving. When combined with a second "following too closely" in such a short period of time, an underwriter could get very cautious. Regardless, I would certainly recommend the OP apply elsewhere (perhaps through a more honest agent). Don't be afraid of the MIB.

See this thread to better understand why OP was rejected..

Thanks all for your responses and it is giving me more fodder to talk to Beemalife and explore other companies. And yes, I am being honest about my health and prior violations. The mention of MIB and the fact I need to necessarily obtain a 100K insurance at $50 per month scared me off. Also for 40+ age, I did not see better rates on my research (i was being quoted $56 p.m. for $1 MM insurance) and here I simply went trusting beemalife that they would have explored those options as eventually they will make a commission only if I buy insurance. If there are any suggestions to explore, let me know. And yes, I realize that I should be drive more safely and am working on it. and stay away from beemalife.

Thanks all for your responses and it is giving me more fodder to talk to Beemalife and explore other companies. And yes, I am being honest about my health and prior violations. The mention of MIB and the fact I need to necessarily obtain a 100K insurance at $50 per month scared me off. Also for 40+ age, I did not see better rates on my research (i was being quoted $56 p.m. for $1 MM insurance) and here I simply went trusting beemalife that they would have explored those options as eventually they will make a commission only if I buy insurance. If there are any suggestions to explore, let me know. And yes, I realize that I should be drive more safely and am working on it. and stay away from beemalife.

pashu said:   Thanks all for your responses and it is giving me more fodder to talk to Beemalife and explore other companies. And yes, I am being honest about my health and prior violations. The mention of MIB and the fact I need to necessarily obtain a 100K insurance at $50 per month scared me off.Is this for a 30 year term life policy? That's the only way that I can see to come up with such a quote for a $100K policy for a 30 year old. This means that they approved you as "standard."

Also for 40+ age, I did not see better rates on my research (i was being quoted $56 p.m. for $1 MM insurance)Check our term4sale.com, which is based on Compulife's excellent software. They won't sell you a policy and it is just a quote engine to give you a general idea about the companies and the quotes that you can expect.

You'll then need to find a good independent agent who can figure out what company is best for you. Brody and RBirns are the insurance experts here, but at least on paper, with 2 at fault accidents and everything else being ideal you ought to be able to get preferred and maybe even ultra-preferred with a number of companies.

Why are you considering a 30 year term policy when you are 41? What will the risk be to your beneficiary that you'll be trying to cover when you are 70 years old?

Are you sure it's spelled beemalife and not beamalife?

http://www.beamalife.com/default.aspx

This agency mentions MetLife and targeted desi clients .

pashu said:   Thanks all for your responses and it is giving me more fodder to talk to Beemalife and explore other companies. And yes, I am being honest about my health and prior violations. The mention of MIB and the fact I need to necessarily obtain a 100K insurance at $50 per month scared me off. Also for 40+ age, I did not see better rates on my research (i was being quoted $56 p.m. for $1 MM insurance) and here I simply went trusting beemalife that they would have explored those options as eventually they will make a commission only if I buy insurance. If there are any suggestions to explore, let me know. And yes, I realize that I should be drive more safely and am working on it. and stay away from beemalife.

Are they trying to sell you a form of whole life? $50/month for $100k sounds like whole life.

That might explain the whole thing. Fatter commission.

Agree with the suggestion to start the policy (make sure it is cancellable), pay monthly.

What do you need life insurance for, and how much do you need?

If you can't get good rates anywhere else due to driving record, and you do need life insurance, you might look into a group policy. Rates aren't fantastic usually, but probably better than beamalife. Do you belong to any professional organizations? AAA? Your college? Other? I often see fixed group rate offers in the mail. Perhaps take one of those policies until the accidents fall off your driving record, then shop for a preferred rate policy.

Agree with driving school. Maybe also check your tires and brakes, and buy new sticky tires if needed. Much improves your stopping distance. My last accident occurred when someone stopped dead on a freeway onramp in light rain. I was driving my wife's car, and she hadn't replaced the nearly bald tires I had been bugging her about. Skidded right into that Volvo. (Wife's front bumper disappeared, found it _inside_ the Volvo after much looking, the rear hatch had popped open, eaten the bumper, and slammed closed.)

And of course then cancel the beamalife policy at the earliest appropriate opportunity.

pashu said:   Thanks all for your responses and it is giving me more fodder to talk to Beemalife and explore other companies. And yes, I am being honest about my health and prior violations. The mention of MIB and the fact I need to necessarily obtain a 100K insurance at $50 per month scared me off. Also for 40+ age, I did not see better rates on my research (i was being quoted $56 p.m. for $1 MM insurance) and here I simply went trusting beemalife that they would have explored those options as eventually they will make a commission only if I buy insurance. If there are any suggestions to explore, let me know. And yes, I realize that I should be drive more safely and am working on it. and stay away from beemalife.

Do you smoke? Insurance companies can't make money by giving people terrible offers. You have to fill us in here. Something is absolutely not adding up. It may be that there is something that is a big issue and you don't think that it's an issue. You may not be telling us everything or the agent isn't telling you everything or something.

I can't figure it out, but I do know that if it is nothing more than the driving violations, you can get decent coverage from someone, but you should give the business to someone else since Beemalife didn't help you like they should.

jerosen said:   pashu said:   Thanks all for your responses and it is giving me more fodder to talk to Beemalife and explore other companies. And yes, I am being honest about my health and prior violations. The mention of MIB and the fact I need to necessarily obtain a 100K insurance at $50 per month scared me off. Also for 40+ age, I did not see better rates on my research (i was being quoted $56 p.m. for $1 MM insurance) and here I simply went trusting beemalife that they would have explored those options as eventually they will make a commission only if I buy insurance. If there are any suggestions to explore, let me know. And yes, I realize that I should be drive more safely and am working on it. and stay away from beemalife.

Are they trying to sell you a form of whole life? $50/month for $100k sounds like whole life.

That might explain the whole thing. Fatter commission.

That wouldn't be a whole life premium. They also wouldn't go to MetLife for WL. The guy behind Beemalife is a MassMutual guy.

Skipping 8 Messages...
At this point, i really doubt we have the full story. While im no fan of bad insurance agents, im starting to wonder if this is really a convenient excuse.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014