• 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link

Jan - Mar
Restaurants & Movies

Apr - Jun
Spring Style (shows a picture of a flower)

Jul - Sep
Summer Fun (shows a picture of a gas pump handle)

Oct - Dec
Holiday Shopping (shows a picture of a gift bow)

Member Summary

Discover (3.13kB)
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I would think so. Convenient for those of us who used the card at Netflix for last quarter's bonus.

doveroftke (Jan. 17, 2013 @ 11:01p) |

can you prepay Netflix?

kvs25 (Jan. 17, 2013 @ 11:46p) |

Shopdiscover is great. I have used it on things like getting extra 5-10% on HomeDepot/Sears appliances that were alread... (more)

hondo1978 (Jan. 18, 2013 @ 8:55a) |

• Also categorized in:

lame

I wonder what the Spring one entails. The style part makes me think clothing.

So are all Discover cards doing this now? Seems like they're copying Chase Freedom's MO.

Restaurants & movies? That's a subset of Citi Forward's permanent 5x No need to carry an extra card in the wallet for the upcoming 3 months, especially since some restaurants and theaters don't take Discover.

The rest of the year's calendar is really vague... who knows what they are?
My guess: Spring style = clothes & home improvement?
Summer fun = gas, theme parks, hotel?
Holiday shopping = department store and electronics?

Sign up to earn 5% CashBack Bonus on purchases made on movies and at restaurants from 1/1/13 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 3/31/13, subject to a cap of $1500 in purchases. Movie ticket and movie rental purchases are those made at merchants classified as movie theaters, video rental stores, and online movie ticket and movie rental services. Restaurant purchases are those made at merchants classified as full-service restaurants, cafes, cafeterias and fast food locations. These purchases must post to your account by 3/31/13 and do not count towards determining your eligibility to earn 1%. Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, and discount stores are not eligible. Purchases made using Near Field Communication (NFC), virtual wallets, or similar technology may not be eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. Rewards are added to your CashBack Bonus account within 2 billi
ng periods. See CashBack Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details.

Sign up to earn 5% CashBack Bonus on purchases made at clothing and home improvement stores 4/1/13 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 6/30/13, subject to a cap of $1500 in purchases. Clothing stores are defined as stand-alone men’s, women’s and children’s clothing retailers. Home improvement stores are defined as home supply retail stores, lumber/building material stores, paint/wallpaper stores, hardware stores and lawn and garden supply centers. These purchases must post to your account by 6/30/13 and do not count towards determining your eligibility to earn 1%. Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, and discount stores are not eligible. Purchases made using Near Field Communication (NFC) or similar technology may not be eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those or discount stores are not eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. Rewards are added
to your CashBack Bonus account within 2 billing periods. See CashBack Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details.

Sign up to earn 5% CashBack Bonus for gas (at stand alone gas stations) and admission to theme parks, water parks and zoos from 7/1/13 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 9/30/13, subject to a cap of $1500 in purchases. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. These purchases must post to your account by 9/30/13 and do not count towards determining your eligibility to earn 1%. Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, and discount stores are not eligible. Purchases made using Near Field Communication (NFC) or similar technology may not be eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those or discount stores are not eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. Rewards are added to your CashBack Bonus account within 2 billing periods. See CashBack Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details.

centrifuge41 said:   Restaurants & movies? That's a subset of Citi Forward's permanent 5x No need to carry an extra card in the wallet for the upcoming 3 months, especially since some restaurants and theaters don't take Discover.
I will still use Discover instead of Forward because cb can be redeemed at better than par for many gift cards (eg LandsEnd, Staples). There are far fewer choices for redeeming Citi TY at better than par.

bluechalk said:   Sign up to earn 5% CashBack Bonus on purchases made on movies and at restaurants from 1/1/13 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 3/31/13, subject to a cap of $1500 in purchases. Movie ticket and movie rental purchases are those made at merchants classified as movie theaters, video rental stores, and online movie ticket and movie rental services. Restaurant purchases are those made at merchants classified as full-service restaurants, cafes, cafeterias and fast food locations. These purchases must post to your account by 3/31/13 and do not count towards determining your eligibility to earn 1%. Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, and discount stores are not eligible. Purchases made using Near Field Communication (NFC), virtual wallets, or similar technology may not be eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. Rewards are added to your CashBack Bonus account within 2 billi
ng periods. See CashBack Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details.

Sign up to earn 5% CashBack Bonus on purchases made at clothing and home improvement stores 4/1/13 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 6/30/13, subject to a cap of $1500 in purchases. Clothing stores are defined as stand-alone menís, womenís and childrenís clothing retailers. Home improvement stores are defined as home supply retail stores, lumber/building material stores, paint/wallpaper stores, hardware stores and lawn and garden supply centers. These purchases must post to your account by 6/30/13 and do not count towards determining your eligibility to earn 1%. Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, and discount stores are not eligible. Purchases made using Near Field Communication (NFC) or similar technology may not be eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those or discount stores are not eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. Rewards are added
to your CashBack Bonus account within 2 billing periods. See CashBack Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details.

Sign up to earn 5% CashBack Bonus for gas (at stand alone gas stations) and admission to theme parks, water parks and zoos from 7/1/13 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 9/30/13, subject to a cap of $1500 in purchases. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. These purchases must post to your account by 9/30/13 and do not count towards determining your eligibility to earn 1%. Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, and discount stores are not eligible. Purchases made using Near Field Communication (NFC) or similar technology may not be eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those or discount stores are not eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. Rewards are added to your CashBack Bonus account within 2 billing periods. See CashBack Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details.

Would you mind sharing where you quoted the text from?

HiLine said:   Would you mind sharing where you quoted the text from?
It came from here. But you need to view the source to see it, because its commented out!

bluechalk said:   HiLine said:   Would you mind sharing where you quoted the text from?
It came from here. But you need to view the source to see it, because its commented out!

You are amazing. I was able to search the code for the hidden bonus categories. Thanks a lot!!!

Totally agree... Why is this OP even still there...

sunspotzsz said:   lame

HiLine said:   You are amazing. I was able to search the code for the hidden bonus categories. Thanks a lot!!!Don't thank me yet. If they change their mind and the categories end up being different, its going to be hard to hold them responsible for what the commented out text says.

wmnetid said:   centrifuge41 said:   Restaurants & movies? That's a subset of Citi Forward's permanent 5x No need to carry an extra card in the wallet for the upcoming 3 months, especially since some restaurants and theaters don't take Discover.
I will still use Discover instead of Forward because cb can be redeemed at better than par for many gift cards (eg LandsEnd, Staples). There are far fewer choices for redeeming Citi TY at better than par.

I stopped using Forward, I didn't think that the Thankyou program is that great. The CB on discover is better, plus, it is 1:1 to be used at Amazon when linked to your Amazon account.

However, I opened a US Bank Cash+. Basically, restaurants are the 1 category I select every quarter, so I'm getting 5% on eating out using that card. Look up the thread on the forums, you get to choose your categories every quarter and can keep the same ones if you wish.

Good to see restaurants are on 1Q, since that is when the local Restaurant Week is. It's also when I'll discover (pardon the pun) once again how many non-chain restaurants do not accept Discover.

Discover added some nice perks that are worthwhile on electronics under $500.00. Perfect for buying an ipad mini or something like that. extended warranty + 90 day returns + price protection.

HiLine said:   bluechalk said:   HiLine said:   Would you mind sharing where you quoted the text from?

You are amazing. I was able to search the code for the hidden bonus categories. Thanks a lot!!!

I click on the link and see nothing more than the 4 calendar quarters and the categories. So how do you view the source and search for the hidden bonus categories?

TIA

Righ click on the page, choose View Page Source. Then navigate the code. You can use the search function to look for "gas".

I've seen other store gift cards sold at Lowe's and Home Depot, so the second quarter could be another category similar to the grocery store category in that you can get cards for the categories you really want.

confused200 said:   

I click on the link and see nothing more than the 4 calendar quarters and the categories. So how do you view the source and search for the hidden bonus categories?

TIA

Right click the page background and view source in FireFox. Here it is (ignore all of the HTML coding:

*<span id="disclosure-tab4-text1"> Sign up to earn 5% <em>CashBack Bonus</em> for Department store and online purchases from 10/1/12 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 12/31/12, subject to a cap of $1500 in purchases. Department stores are defined as retailers selling a wide variety of merchandise, with separate checkout counters in each department. Amounts that are not charged to your card during your online purchase will not qualify. These purchases must post to your account by 12/31/12 and do not count towards determining your eligibility to earn 1%. Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, or discount stores are not eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. Rewards are added to your CashBack Bonus account within 2 billing periods. See CashBack Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details.</p>
</div>
<div class="hide" id="disclosure-tab2">

*<span id="disclosure-tab2-text1"> Sign up to earn 5% <em>CashBack Bonus</em> on purchases made on movies and at restaurants from 1/1/13 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 3/31/13, subject to a cap of $1500 in purchases. Movie ticket and movie rental purchases are those made at merchants classified as movie theaters, video rental stores, and online movie ticket and movie rental services. Restaurant purchases are those made at merchants classified as full-service restaurants, cafes, cafeterias and fast food locations. These purchases must post to your account by 3/31/13 and do not count towards determining your eligibility to earn 1%. Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, and discount stores are not eligible. Purchases made using Near Field Communication (NFC), virtual wallets, or similar technology may not be eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. Rewards are added to your CashBack Bonus account within 2 billing periods. See CashBack Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details.</p>
</div>
<!-- <div class="hide" id="disclosure-tab3">

*<span id="disclosure-tab3-text1"> Sign up to earn 5% <em>CashBack Bonus</em> on purchases made at clothing and home improvement stores 4/1/13 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 6/30/13, subject to a cap of $1500 in purchases. Clothing stores are defined as stand-alone menís, womenís and childrenís clothing retailers. Home improvement stores are defined as home supply retail stores, lumber/building material stores, paint/wallpaper stores, hardware stores and lawn and garden supply centers. These purchases must post to your account by 6/30/13 and do not count towards determining your eligibility to earn 1%. Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, and discount stores are not eligible. Purchases made using Near Field Communication (NFC) or similar technology may not be eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those or discount stores are not eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. Rewards are added to your CashBack Bonus account within 2 billing periods. See CashBack Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details.</p>
</div>
<div class="hide" id="disclosure-tab4">

*<span id="disclosure-tab4-text1"> Sign up to earn 5% <em>CashBack Bonus</em> for gas (at stand alone gas stations) and admission to theme parks, water parks and zoos from 7/1/13 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 9/30/13, subject to a cap of $1500 in purchases. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. These purchases must post to your account by 9/30/13 and do not count towards determining your eligibility to earn 1%. Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, and discount stores are not eligible. Purchases made using Near Field Communication (NFC) or similar technology may not be eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those or discount stores are not eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. Rewards are added to your CashBack Bonus account within 2 billing periods. See CashBack Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details.</p>
</div>
<div class="hide" id="disclosure-tab5">

*<span id="disclosure-tab4-text1"> Sign up to earn 5% <em>CashBack Bonus</em> for Department store and online purchases from 10/1/12 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 12/31/12, subject to a cap of $1500 in purchases. Department stores are defined as retailers selling a wide variety of merchandise, with separate checkout counters in each department. Amounts that are not charged to your card during your online purchase will not qualify. These purchases must post to your account by 12/31/12 and do not count towards determining your eligibility to earn 1%. Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, and discount stores are not eligible. Purchases made using Near Field Communication (NFC) or similar technology may not be eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those or discount stores are not eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. Rewards are added to your CashBack Bonus account within 2 billing periods. See CashBack Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details.</p>
</div> -->

lonestarguy said:   confused200 said:   

TIA

*<span id="disclosure-tab4-text1"> Sign up to earn 5% <em>CashBack Bonus</em> for Department store and online purchases from 10/1/12 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 12/31/12, subject to a cap of $1500 in purchases. </p>
</div> -->

Note this is for last quarter of 2012, not 2013. We do not know if they will again provide online purchases as a category.

Of course, they may be waiting to see how the current promotion turns out.

That's a big yawn. I have Citi Forward and cash out at Hyatt, so I'm not particularly interested. I cashed out $25 of my $27 in rewards to a gift card and the card will stay put away until it's time to buy flowers for the front of the house from Home Depot in May.

It does seem like Discover has really gone downhill in the last couple of years. The change to 1/4% for the first $3,000 spent per account year and 1% after that has prompted us to stop using Discover for anything other than the 5% category, and now the 5% categories are getting a little skimpy, especially during the summer. How many theme parks are you going to visit? I'm also a bit worried that I cannot really know whether my purchases are going to/have been credited to the bonus program accurately. I suppose that's true of any rewards card... I wish there was a way to check up on these programs.

Remember that they often add a extra 5% category for one month here and there at the last minute too.

is it possible to have 2 or more discover cards and get the 5% bonus on each of them separately? (since they normally cap the 5%.)

awesome1000 said:   is it possible to have 2 or more discover cards and get the 5% bonus on each of them separately? (since they normally cap the 5%.)

Yes

centrifuge41 said:   Restaurants & movies? That's a subset of Citi Forward's permanent 5x No need to carry an extra card in the wallet for the upcoming 3 months, especially since some restaurants and theaters don't take Discover.

The rest of the year's calendar is really vague... who knows what they are?
My guess: Spring style = clothes & home improvement?
Summer fun = gas, theme parks, hotel?
Holiday shopping = department store and electronics?

I dump my Forward card for Discover/Chase when they run the restaurant promotion, as the Cash Back is much better than Citi's limited rewards program in that you can get cash/statement credits.

awesome1000 said:   is it possible to have 2 or more discover cards and get the 5% bonus on each of them separately? (since they normally cap the 5%.)

2 is the maximum number of Discover accounts you're allowed to have as an individual. Apparently the time between applications has to be at least one year.

Do you think bars count as restaurants for the 5% in Q1? If so between restaurants and bars I should easily get to the limit

newnorley said:   Do you think bars count as restaurants for the 5% in Q1? If so between restaurants and bars I should easily get to the limit They've worked for me in the past. I think it's a case by case basis. Once it posts you'll know if it's coded as such and then you can go binge there.

Used to be the only 1% Cash Back few stores accepted card.
Then came recomanding us to upgrade to "Up to 1% Cash Back card."
Then switch over to up to 1% CashBack card with no warning.

We stop using it.

Then split to gas and 5% rotation cards.
They change the cap all the time.
Now the Rotating Categories include nothing we can use.

They keep calling us "why we use not their cards?"

Because we use 5%, 6%(4.81%) CashBack AMEX exclusively last couple years.
We do use BoA World point for AirFare due to their 1M$ travel insurance.
Otherwise, 4.81% CashBack is much better than 0.25% CashBack.

The 4Q is revealed to be Holiday Shopping, so likely department store and online shopping like last year.

bicker1 said:   It does seem like Discover has really gone downhill in the last couple of years. The change to 1/4% for the first $3,000 spent per account year and 1% after that has prompted us to stop using Discover for anything other than the 5% category, and now the 5% categories are getting a little skimpy, especially during the summer. How many theme parks are you going to visit? I'm also a bit worried that I cannot really know whether my purchases are going to/have been credited to the bonus program accurately. I suppose that's true of any rewards card... I wish there was a way to check up on these programs.

They now want you to switch from 'More' to 'It'. 'It' will give instant unlimited 1%...not sure about discount store, etc limitations (WalMart, Sam's Target, etc.) though. 'It' looks like everything 'More' is plus little more...like "No late fee for your first late payment", "Paying late won't increase your APR", etc. If these features are on the 'More', I didn't know the card agreement.

I don't switch to 'It' 'cause I don't wanna risk losing money messenger. If I talk to a CSR, they probably grantee me not losing the feature, but I don't wanna mess with it at the moment.

I track all of my spending on a spreadsheet, so I know where my money is going (not just purchases) + easier to track my CBs.

Good luck!

I really don't like what I'm reading. I'm slowly coming to the realization that it may be time to close our Discover account. We've had it since Day One. (Anyone else remember the old Sears cards, the ones that were wider and shorter than regular credit cards?) We got it because of Cash Back - it was the only option back then. Now, we have a Visa card and an AMEX card that both pay better Cash Back on a day-to-day basis, and I just don't see Discover fitting in much longer. I don't know of any places that take Discover but don't take Visa, but I do know of places that don't take Discover. I'm not not seeing the compelling reason, anymore, to hold a Discover card.

Is there anything that makes Discover better than the best Visa card out there anymore? Or is it really just a matter of all the best credit cards being pretty much as good as each other (in which case, for me, Visa wins solely on the places that accept it that don't accept Discover)?

bicker1 said:   Is there anything that makes Discover better than the best Visa card out there anymore? Or is it really just a matter of all the best credit cards being pretty much as good as each other (in which case, for me, Visa wins solely on the places that accept it that don't accept Discover)?

Just when Discover is offering 5% Cash Back in a category where I can't do better with another card. I've had my Discover card in a drawer for three to six months, for example, but pulled it out on January 1 because Discover is offering 5% Cash Back this quarter on restaurants, and no one else is this quarter (actually, Discover is offering an additional 2% right now through an additional promotion). I've never used Discover for some random non-5% purchase except for the occasional extra Cash Back promotion, but it's a free card, so why not hold onto it for the 5% categories?

Because of your namesake... I don't want to have "too many cards" - mainly because when a better overall deal comes along, I'd like to be able to apply for that card and get it without being denied for having too much outstanding credit already. Now this won't work for everyone: Closing accounts adversely impacts credit for a short period of time. But we just bought two brand-new cars, and we're not moving out of our home, and we cannot foresee any need for any borrowing whatsoever beyond making credit card purchases that we pay off within a couple of weeks. (We don't even wait for the statements. We generally pay credit card balances whenever we happen to be on the bill pay page.)

mistadeal said:   

I dump my Forward card for Discover/Chase when they run the restaurant promotion, as the Cash Back is much better than Citi's limited rewards program in that you can get cash/statement credits.

Good call - I think I might do the same. I use my Forward card exclusively for restaurants and Amazon purchases for the 5% points, though using Discover for restaurants this quarter might make more sense because you can get straight up Cash Back.

For those of you talking about closing your Discover or not using it because of the changes in their Cash Back program, I would encourage you to look at their Shop Discover program for online purchases. I've found that they are typically the highest compared to other Cash Back sites. I typically use it for booking hotels/rental cars (typically 5% Cash Back) and for Groupon purchasees (15% Cash Back). And their deal last quarter for additional 5% back on all online purchases netted me some good cash from all my Christmas shopping. I would agree that their program sucks for normal day-to-day spending, but if you selectively use their quarterly bonus program and Shop Discover deals, it's actually a great card.

So I'm not gonna be able to max this out...any good restaurants or movie places to buy gift cards or something else of value?

I don't know if this is already common knowledge or not but it might be useful to some so I will post it here. Discover's statements don't itemize the CashBack, providing only a summary instead. If you go to the account activity page in your account and select a period for which the statement has posted, then on the right it lists the rewards activity for that period. I noticed that until about September 2012, this had just the same information as the statement. However, from October onwards, there is a bit more information displayed here as compared to the statement. In particular, under the ShopDiscover and Promotional category, the rewards earned at each store, and for each promotion (such as 2% on a specific date) are now listed separately. It doesn't list the transaction for which the reward was earned, but there is more information than is found in the statement. This should make it easier to check whether the expected rewards were indeed received.

bicker1 said:   I really don't like what I'm reading. I'm slowly coming to the realization that it may be time to close our Discover account. We've had it since Day One. (Anyone else remember the old Sears cards, the ones that were wider and shorter than regular credit cards?) We got it because of Cash Back - it was the only option back then. Now, we have a Visa card and an AMEX card that both pay better Cash Back on a day-to-day basis, and I just don't see Discover fitting in much longer. I don't know of any places that take Discover but don't take Visa, but I do know of places that don't take Discover. I'm not not seeing the compelling reason, anymore, to hold a Discover card.

Is there anything that makes Discover better than the best Visa card out there anymore? Or is it really just a matter of all the best credit cards being pretty much as good as each other (in which case, for me, Visa wins solely on the places that accept it that don't accept Discover)?

Discover gives you access to ShopDiscover, the best online shopping mall out there. It's inevitable that Visa and Mastercard have the widest acceptance, but it's been that way for decades. Discover has top notch customer services, tied with AMEX at number 1 I think. Purchase protection, warranty extension, and other perks are as good as those of AMEX. The lack of late payment fees is unrivaled. And Discover cards do not carry a maintenance fee, unlike most AMEX cards. And Discover dollars are worth more than money dollars, since you can use them to buy gift cards at a discount. I know I'm missing other benefits; others can chime in on this.

Skipping 24 Messages...
bicker1 said:   I've actually never found anything on ShopDiscover worth buying. Right now, the only relatively interesting 20% offer is restaurants.com, and they don't offer a single restaurant that we would ever eat at. At 15%, I selected an item, and received "No results found." Well why they heck would you show it as an option if there were no deals to be had? Oh yeah - marketing. Nice. And I've found this sort of thing to be the general case with ShopDiscover. It's not a money savings arrangement, but rather an arrangement aimed to try to direct customers to specific vendors and to a great extent to motivate them to spend money on things they wouldn't otherwise have purchased at all.

Shopdiscover is great. I have used it on things like getting extra 5-10% on HomeDepot/Sears appliances that were already on sale and heavily discounted. Then 5% on Hotwire for cheap hotels. Also buying apple products at 5% off which is very difficult to get anywhere. Any items I buy online I basically check shopdiscover first then FatWallet CashBack. One time, I had over $400 in my discover CashBack account and bought shell gas card for 50% off, and basically double my reward to $800.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014