• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Ok, I received a CRA demand for an unpaid Parking Ticket from 1997. I don't recall if I received the ticket, but if I did not sure whether it was paid or not. This is in Chicago.

Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this? CTI is the agency, which appears to have a lot of reviews on harassing people. From what I can tell there is no SOL on tickets, but my credit is totally clean and this popped up. I'm no longer in Illinois and not sure how they found me. I heard they have a new law and are going back 22 years for unpaid parking tickets. Any ideas or experience with this is appreciated. Thanks.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I am so pissed right now, I havent had time to call for a while but I called and left a couple of nice messages on the a... (more)

codename47 (Mar. 22, 2013 @ 5:07p) |

I dont blame you! They are after me too and I dont live in the State anymore and my ticket goes back to 2002...really??!... (more)

mskoleb (Apr. 05, 2013 @ 5:02p) |

Calm down, then write a letter to the Chicago Tribune Opinion page, naming the attorney's office and stating that you pa... (more)

StevenColorado (Apr. 05, 2013 @ 5:37p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Obligatory comment: Pay your bills, deadbeat!

You may have better luck in the Finance forum...

send them a letter telling them to validate the debt.

I did post it in the Finance forum but somehow it ended up here. How can I move it to the Finance forum? If a Mod could move I would appreciate it.

Also not attempting to be a deadbeat, but having a clean credit report, I'm not sure how parking tickets are reported. Along with the information that people reported calls at all hours from this agency, harassment, calls at work, etc. I'm not even sure the CRA is legit. Add the fact that Chicago is a criminal enterprise and that I'm unable to verify this. I checked Creditboards but couldn't find anything.

search creditboards for i dispute, please validate.

Just be thankful they didn't accrue $105k in parking fines under your name. These people make BofA look like amateurs

Squeezer99 said:   i dispute, please validate.
Mail that sentence back to them , certified mail

fasttimes said:   send them a letter telling them to validate the debt.

I don't know all the specifics, but back when I was in college, I found that for some reason Chicago Parking Ticket Fines are not debts that can be disputed. You can't even go to court to dispute them until you have exhausted the entire administrative process which I believe is designed to be prohibitively costly.

To further back my opinion that Chicago Parking Tickets are a joke, the entire "Adminstrative" process is administered by the Chicago Department of Revenue.

If I recall correctly, I believe your only two options are:

=Pay it

=Ignore it and hope that they ignore it too.

Also, don't ever get booted or towed in Chicago. They will use your car as ransom until you pay any and every ticket that comes up for a search under your name, license plate number, Drivers License number, or any random five tickets.

Please don't take anything I just typed as gospel as I left Chicago behind me many years ago and a lot has changed. Use FWF as a pointer to the info you are looking for, but don't rely solely on anything you read here (including my post).

Above all else, remember this, Chicago sets the bar for legalized racketeering.

is this the first time you are hearing of this ticket? is there any possibility you were in chicago at the time of infraction?

Do you have a legal benefit from your work ? Try getting a lawyer through there, it should be free for you. They could help determine legit-ness.

Chicago parking tickets - yet another tax that us living and/or working in the 312 have to endure. Yes, these aren't normal debt. If I'm not mistaken, the collection agency is either an arm of the city or an entity set up solely to collect Chicago parking tickets.

However, Chicago has an unoffical policy about parking tickets. You can really let one rot on your record, and they won't go after you so long as you keep your nose clean. I'm letting one sit from a couple of years back. The fine increased from $150 to something like $400 now. The collection agency sends me an update on it every 6 months or so, telling me the new total and reminding me of what will happen if I don't pay. Nothing has made it's way onto my credit report, and there are many web-based anecdotes with similar scenarios. YMMV of course, but I honestly wouldn't sweat it especially if you aren't living or driving in Illinois any more.

Isn't there a Statute of Limitations?

gatzdon said:   fasttimes said:   send them a letter telling them to validate the debt.

I don't know all the specifics, but back when I was in college, I found that for some reason Chicago Parking Ticket Fines are not debts that can be disputed. You can't even go to court to dispute them until you have exhausted the entire administrative process which I believe is designed to be prohibitively costly.

To further back my opinion that Chicago Parking Tickets are a joke, the entire "Adminstrative" process is administered by the Chicago Department of Revenue.

If I recall correctly, I believe your only two options are:

=Pay it

=Ignore it and hope that they ignore it too.

Also, don't ever get booted or towed in Chicago. They will use your car as ransom until you pay any and every ticket that comes up for a search under your name, license plate number, Drivers License number, or any random five tickets.

Please don't take anything I just typed as gospel as I left Chicago behind me many years ago and a lot has changed. Use FWF as a pointer to the info you are looking for, but don't rely solely on anything you read here (including my post).

Above all else, remember this, Chicago sets the bar for legalized racketeering.

I agree. You have to pay the bill THEN dispute it for a refund.
I live in NYC and I was in a similar situation as you. It took me 2.5 years to get my money back.

IgorSkovoroda said:   Isn't there a Statute of Limitations?

Sure but scumbag Debt Collectors can still contact you and try and collect the debt. They will try and pretend like you need to pay it with false pretenses.

I'd be curious to how much debt collectors pay for these accounts... I would think less than 3 cents on the dollar as they would be nearly impossible to collect.

15 years...no matter what they are trying to collect, it should be SOL. I've heard uneven stories about those trying to collect on these tickets. Not heard of anyone having anything on their CR for years.

Thanks for all the replies. Thinking back on this I can't recall or should I say can't find evidence I paid. I always pay any tickets, etc at the time, so it seems that I would have paid it. But 15 years is a way back on my documentation.

So the general consensus is either:
1) pay
2) dispute & validate
3) ignore

I don't have access to a company lawyer for advice. However I looked and found this story on how Chicago ( back in December, the Local Debt Recovery Program became law in Illinois) is taking unpaid tickets out of tax returns now. In that article it mentions the tickets go back to 2005, so going back to 1997 seems a bit excessive.

New Chicago Ticket Law

The fact that I haven't lived in the state for more than a decade, and never heard about this 'so called' unpaid ticket, makes me inclined to ignore it, if it does not show up on a credit report. It is less than $50 too. Seems that if it was legit they would have added some fines to it?

I don't plan on driving in Illinois again, I live on the other side of the country. And when I visit that region, I do not visit Illinois.

Paying that small amount I don't mind, but when I receive a notice that they are going to garnish my wages (that's just one of their threats) I don't know who I'm dealing with. And if I dispute then I've acknowledged my current address.

Still not sure how they got that as I've had about 5 different addresses, not in Illinois since then.

So I don't know... Flip a coin?

Should be beyond the 7 year + 6 month statute of limitations for putting it on your credit report.

I suspect that the City can't garnish you in another state without getting that state's courts to domesticate their 'judgment'.

If you had an Illinois driver's license they could suspend it or prevent it and your car registration being renewed. Being out of state and no property connections to Illinois - think I would ignore (unless your state has reciprocity with Illinois) or simply tell them that you did indeed pay it. There was article recently in newspaper about cities being strapped for cash due to falling housing values and resulting real estate tax revenue. Article stated there was NO statute of limitation (NY has 8 yr limit) BUT how on earth would they expect you to show a cancelled check from that far back! Even IRS isn't that anal. They ought to be required to produce copy of registered letter sent within 90 or 120 days after ticket was originally written.

http://autos.aol.com/article/beware-cities-hunting-you-down-for-...

Chicago, the bastion of examples to top all others on what true corruption and government oppression is.

Stay classy Chicago. How's that gun ban working out for ya?

Tell them to ram that ticket where Rham doesn't shine

Interesting how the people who brought up statute of limitations were red. I successfully pleaded statute of limitations for moving violations outside Philadelphia twice. The law in PA gives the commonwealth 2 years from the date of the infraction to exercise due diligence in enforcing the infraction or lose their ability to enforce it. I can't imagine that a moving violation would have a statute of limitations but a parking fine would not or is that the case?

For me, I went to the local law library and asked what the statute of limitations was. The helpful guy behind the counter found everything I needed and pointed me toward a photocopier. The judge in both cases was royally ticket off but there was little he could do - the tickets were over 4 years old at that point.

stiltner said:   Chicago, the bastion of examples to top all others on what true corruption and government oppression is.

Stay classy Chicago. How's that gun ban working out for ya?

Tell them to ram that ticket where Rham doesn't shine

You mean privatization of government services did not work out.

OP have you done anything recently in your state with your motor division such as get a new driver's license or renew a plate? Sometimes these tickets come out when your current address gets registered in a national database.

If the answer is yes, that might explain why you're just now hearing about it.

dgarby said:   Thanks for all the replies. Thinking back on this I can't recall or should I say can't find evidence I paid. I always pay any tickets, etc at the time, so it seems that I would have paid it. But 15 years is a way back on my documentation.

So the general consensus is either:
1) pay
2) dispute & validate
3) ignore

I don't have access to a company lawyer for advice. However I looked and found this story on how Chicago ( back in December, the Local Debt Recovery Program became law in Illinois) is taking unpaid tickets out of tax returns now. In that article it mentions the tickets go back to 2005, so going back to 1997 seems a bit excessive.

New Chicago Ticket Law

The fact that I haven't lived in the state for more than a decade, and never heard about this 'so called' unpaid ticket, makes me inclined to ignore it, if it does not show up on a credit report. It is less than $50 too. Seems that if it was legit they would have added some fines to it?

I don't plan on driving in Illinois again, I live on the other side of the country. And when I visit that region, I do not visit Illinois.

Paying that small amount I don't mind, but when I receive a notice that they are going to garnish my wages (that's just one of their threats) I don't know who I'm dealing with. And if I dispute then I've acknowledged my current address.

Still not sure how they got that as I've had about 5 different addresses, not in Illinois since then.

So I don't know... Flip a coin?

If they're threatening to garnish your wages, you need to send the above suggested request for validation using CMRRR. - I typically use a postage stamp, but for a case like this you need to spend the $5 for your good records.

Unless they have the ability / intent to garnish your wages they have already committed a violation of the FDCPA. So you have one of two situations:

Scumbag collector 1:

They have a debt that may not even be yours, or out of statute of limitations. They are violating the FDCPA.

Scumbag collector 2:

This is a legitimate debt they believe to be yours, and in statute of limitations. They indeed may have the right to garnish your wages if you don't respond. I find this unlikely, but based on your other research, I would take this possibility seriously.

Either way send the Validation request Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested (CMRRR). The following is a preference, any request for Validation will work. Rather than just saying "Please validate", I would ask for all evidence, date and location of violation (if not already provided), Make / model/ license of car the ticket was given to, etc. (Anything else you can think of to ask for). Otherwise (Either way really) you are likely to get back a piece of paper with your name, ticket number, and amount due.
- If this happens dispute that they have provided you with proper Validation.

Because a ticket could fall off or be stolen, I find it possible that you may not have been notified. Whether it should have taken 15 years, I'm not sure.

FinancialAnalyst said:   Interesting how the people who brought up statute of limitations were red. I successfully pleaded statute of limitations for moving violations outside Philadelphia twice. The law in PA gives the commonwealth 2 years from the date of the infraction to exercise due diligence in enforcing the infraction or lose their ability to enforce it. I can't imagine that a moving violation would have a statute of limitations but a parking fine would not or is that the case?

For me, I went to the local law library and asked what the statute of limitations was. The helpful guy behind the counter found everything I needed and pointed me toward a photocopier. The judge in both cases was royally ticket off but there was little he could do - the tickets were over 4 years old at that point.

Interesting. In my state they suspend your license (Not paying amount due) / and or put a warrant out for your arrest (Missing court date assigned when given ticket) if you ignore a traffic ticket. I think this might count as due diligence.

for everyone suggesting to request validation or dispute, i would appreciate a link to just one success story involving Chicago that doesn't involve intervention by the media.

Thanks in advance

gatzdon said:   for everyone suggesting to request validation or dispute, i would appreciate a link to just one success story involving Chicago that doesn't involve intervention by the media.

Thanks in advance

If you don't hear from them within 30 days after they got the validation, the debt will become invalid. This is why you need to send it CMRRR, else they could say they didn't get it.

At the point where you are being worked over by thugs with brass knuckles in a back room, consider paying.

Nah, don't do it even then.

Don't pay them a dime! Chicago Department of Revenue blows BIG TIME!

chicago is the most corrup city in usa.

Has anyone considered the possibility of this being a scam to fool unsuspecting populace?

Al3xK said:   OP have you done anything recently in your state with your motor division such as get a new driver's license or renew a plate? Sometimes these tickets come out when your current address gets registered in a national database. If the answer is yes, that might explain why you're just now hearing about it.

I'm not sure how to answer with multiple quotes from the replies so I'll start here.

No. Nothing new, been at current address for over 8 years, renewed license almost a year ago (no problem).

SOL: From online research it appears there is no SOL for Chicago Parking Tickets.

Scumbag Collector 2: Sending a CMRRR, I can do this, but on the notice they sent (which is dated all the way back three months ago - but just received) it lists all the information. Location, Citation #, Make, Model, Tag, Date, Location, and Description of Citation.

Since they already sent this and I ask in detail for Validation, what else would they have to send in 30 days to be considered legit? And if they did respond, could I argue that the environment of the location they describe may be different. (I don't know, maybe there is still a meter at this spot, but if not??)

I guess the other concern is asking for validation and the garnishing wages part. What if they send the same notice back and I pay, how do I know they still won't come after more? And as the last post mentions, is this a scam?

I suppose the Dispute, Validate CRMMM is the way to go, but if anyone else has dealt with something like this I'd appreciate hearing about it. And as mentioned in a prior post, it has a return P.O. address to Chicago Dept. of Revenue Remittance Center.

IgorSkovoroda said:   Isn't there a Statute of Limitations?

No. According to Kramer, it's a Statue of Limitatation.

Dgarby- you ask some great questions that I am wondering too. Too bad nobody has answered these.

Codename47 might go in with you to show you how to profit from this!

I had a similar problem what was your luck, I got one in January from an attorney that supposibly has been hired by the city of chicago and the balance is like 980 for 5 tickets and 3 of them I know I paid, or contested, but its was back in 2005. I am out of state and its ridiculous

I want to drive upthere and puch someone in the face, and then look for the prrof and punch someone else haha

I am so pissed right now, I havent had time to call for a while but I called and left a couple of nice messages on the attorneys voice mail, and the secretary was such a bi**c and she said that if I cant prove them I would have to pay, and that they would garnish my wages in the future, I swear if I find the recieps that should be somewhere at my dads house, I would let them garnish my wages so I can sue them.

Sorry people Im just a little pissed, and venting here lol

I am so pissed right now, I havent had time to call for a while but I called and left a couple of nice messages on the attorneys voice mail, and the secretary was such a bi**c and she said that if I cant prove them I would have to pay, and that they would garnish my wages in the future, I swear if I find the recieps that should be somewhere at my dads house, I would let them garnish my wages so I can sue them.

FDCPA violation?

I dont blame you! They are after me too and I dont live in the State anymore and my ticket goes back to 2002...really??! Maybe this has something to do with the State filing for bankruptcy...maybe if the State stop stealing money, they would be in a better place.

Skipping 1 Messages...
ozzycopyright said:   I am so pissed right now, I havent had time to call for a while but I called and left a couple of nice messages on the attorneys voice mail, and the secretary was such a bi**c and she said that if I cant prove them I would have to pay, and that they would garnish my wages in the future, I swear if I find the recieps that should be somewhere at my dads house, I would let them garnish my wages so I can sue them.

Sorry people Im just a little pissed, and venting here lol

Calm down, then write a letter to the Chicago Tribune Opinion page, naming the attorney's office and stating that you paid them, that they are violating the "innocent until proven guilty" firmament of US law, and that it's not your fault that Chicago's so strapped for funds that they're illegally extorting their citizens.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014