Need Help Choosing a New Bank

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have had enough with Wells Fargo and am looking for a new Bank/Credit Union.

Things I am looking for, in order of importance:
-iPhone/Android Deposit
-ATM fee reimbursement
-ACH Push/Pull

USAA seems like the best choice, but I do not qualify. Any other good options?

Member Summary

Where are you located? There are many great local or state banks as well as credit unions.

If you don't care about local branch access (or are located in the Bay Area), then Provident Credit Union meets all your criteria.

looking for a bank? select a credit union

ally, it meets all your needs, and free antivirus software, with above average yield, except sign up bonus.

Schwab has free checks in addition to the above

Ally looks good. I am also seriously considering Schwab and Fidelity as well.

Schwab is fantastic - I have nothing but good things to say about them. Basically there are no fees for anything and their customer service is excellent. The only downside I can think of is that their interest rates aren't very good, but honestly you shouldn't be keeping much money in your checking account anyway so that shouldn't matter

SueWF said:   Ally looks good. I am also seriously considering Schwab and Fidelity as well.

There is no min requirement balance for Ally. So you can always open an account and put nothing in there.
They also have free check printing service.
In my opinion, Ally has great customer service too.
There is one time, one of my checks has bounced due to insufficient fund. However, I immediately deposit the fund back in and call them, the CS waives my fee without further inquiry, not like other major banks. You have to keep talking and talking.

Con
-They do hard inquiry when you open an account. They will ask you to fax in your driver license.
-If you have a name difference in other banks, you will have a hard time to link other bank accounts with Ally. You will have to call them to manually link them.

bbmak said:   SueWF said:   Ally looks good. I am also seriously considering Schwab and Fidelity as well.

There is no min requirement balance for Ally. So you can always open an account and put nothing in there.
There is one time, one of my checks has bounced due to insufficient fund. However, I immediately deposit the fund back in and call them, the CS waives my fee without further inquiry, not like other major banks. You have to keep talking and talking.

Con
-They do hard inquiry when you open an account. They will ask you to fax in your driver license.
-If you have a name difference in other banks, you will have a hard time to link other bank accounts with Ally. You will have to call them to manually link them.

I second this. This is the best bank in the USA, period. Free checks. The customer service is there 24/7. Everytime I call I wait 1 minute before a person answers the phone. No stupid automatic system telling me to press this or that. They reiumburse ATMs fees. So basically, any ATM is your ATM! The new app lets you deposit checks remotely. It has everything you asked, except the bonus. Screw that dude. You want a good bank. Ally is the best.

bbmak said:   SueWF said:   Ally looks good. I am also seriously considering Schwab and Fidelity as well.

Con

Hey bbmak,

Is the name difference issue with linking accounts new? I have linked accounts before that belong to my parents, no issue. But lately, the last 2 accounts I tried to link, which belong to me, have required me calling Ally. What's up with that?

I thought anyone could open a USAA checking/savings account now. My understanding is that you can have access to their banking but not to their insurance and lending products..

If so, USAA is certainly one of the best choices. I've never had an account with Ally, but USAA has been fantastic towards me at every turn.

BradisBrad said:   I thought anyone could open a USAA checking/savings account now. My understanding is that you can have access to their banking but not to their insurance and lending products..

If so, USAA is certainly one of the best choices. I've never had an account with Ally, but USAA has been fantastic towards me at every turn.

It would appear that the bank products are open to non-military persons.

Our investment products, most checking and savings products, credit cards, life insurance, and shopping and discounts are available to other individuals.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014