• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hello,
I have two quotes for my condo + car insurance. One is from State Farm and the agent selling the insurance is highly rated on yelp but is a little about $50 more expensive than the other quote which is from AllState. I don't really know much about the agent from AllState and can't find any reviews on him. The State Farm agent I can say with high confidence is pretty passionate and hardworking about their business. I was wondering when it come to claims does this make a difference. After all the claims is going to be handled by a different department. I am most interested in ensuring that when it comes to claims I get good service and a legitimate claim is not rejected.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
the best service i have ever had was from travelers insurance, they went above and beyond to make my claim hassle free, ... (more)

2547612 (Feb. 01, 2013 @ 9:47a) |

I do think beside the agent, the adjuster also plays a big role in your claim process. I has been with Farmers and actua... (more)

tgif777 (Feb. 01, 2013 @ 10:00a) |

oh i forget always get the umbrella ! ask for it ! it provides an extra million dollars of protection as a blanket poli... (more)

2547612 (Feb. 01, 2013 @ 10:50a) |

You're right that the agents don't handle claims - that is done by corporate offices. That said, it's possible that a good agent can point you to the proper resources if the need should ever arise, like a lawyer. I would personally recommend checking around with Geico, because they will get you car insurance directly, and condo coverage through traveler's.

Agents just sell policies these days and are not involved in claims

The thing about a GOOD agent is that they might know things inside and out even better than the claims adjusters. When I had State Farm, I had a couple of occasions where the adjuster said things weren't covered and my agent knew exactly how to demonstrate they were. I doubt I would have been able to accomplish the same.

I'm not saying it's necessarily worth paying more for, but just that it can make a difference in some cases.

ankitgu said:   You're right that the agents don't handle claims - that is done by corporate offices. That said, it's possible that a good agent can point you to the proper resources if the need should ever arise, like a lawyer. I would personally recommend checking around with Geico, because they will get you car insurance directly, and condo coverage through traveler's.

Rule of thumb is to check with at least three insurance companies, it is interesting how they calculate your insurance rate. It is different for every single person. I called for a friend and checked with AllState, State Farm and Geico, though my friend had a minor accident State Farm was offering the cheapest rate , down by about $90 for six months. I am insured with Geico, seeing the good rate he got ,i called Stat Farm and AllState, but amazingly Geico was still the cheapest for me.

Also, I believe Geico gives 3 percent discount on your car insurance if you have homeowners insurance with them. By the way , they don't have homeowner insurance policies themselves but they offer it through other companies.

Nope, most insurance companies have a separate claims department for claims. Your agent MAY help by suggesting body shops, or comforting you in the event of an accident.

Agents only sell policy and will of NO help. I had allstate agent who didnt help me at all. He was hard working polite and nice until I had a claim. Wherein he told me he cannot do anything. Its handled by claims and he has NO SAY.

I have had claims exp with Geico state fram and allstate. Allstate is the worst of the bunch. Its the worst organization when it comes to claim. Geico was much better. State Farm is so so.

Per my own analysis, allstate's corporate culture is to NOT pay at all or worse case pay as little and make it hard on the customer and repair shops to settle any claim or supplements.

Choose an insurance company based NOT on their agents politeness,but their claim exp. Check consumer reports. Allstate is at the bottom in their rankings.

Allstate also has some fine prints in their policy by which you cannot pursue "DIMINISHED value" claim.

gonewiththewind said:   Agents only sell policy and will of NO help. Doesn't this sentence embarrass you?

i think a good agent is important. Let me give you an example. I had food spoilage during Hurricane Sandy, 8 days without power. I called the agent, he walked me through all my options, explained what to do, not to do and his office also started my claim, I didn't even have to call separately to my insurance company. I got a call from adjuster later, and one small conversation resolved and finished my business. It was as painless as humanly possible. I have all my insurance with this agent - car, home, etc. Every year he checks all insurance companies to see their rates and suggest who to go with.

Go with State Farm.
Just remember to say "Like good neighbor State Farm is there..." and your agent will appear next to you.

RareWS6 said:   i think a good agent is important. Let me give you an example. I had food spoilage during Hurricane Sandy, 8 days without power. I called the agent, he walked me through all my options, explained what to do, not to do and his office also started my claim

You filed a claim for food spoilage?

RareWS6 said:   i think a good agent is important. Let me give you an example. I had food spoilage during Hurricane Sandy, 8 days without power. I called the agent, he walked me through all my options, explained what to do, not to do and his office also started my claim, I didn't even have to call separately to my insurance company. I got a call from adjuster later, and one small conversation resolved and finished my business. It was as painless as humanly possible. I have all my insurance with this agent - car, home, etc. Every year he checks all insurance companies to see their rates and suggest who to go with.
I presume you have your insurance through an independant agent rather than a captive agent like State Farm or Allstate. In that case, a good agent can help with a claim should things start going badly, particularly if the agent has a large book of business with the insurance company. The last thing an insurance company wants to do is piss off one of their top-producing agents.

Many people buy their insurance online or through a captive agent. But you do lose the potential influence of an independant agent if you go that route.

dewolfxy said:   RareWS6 said:   i think a good agent is important. Let me give you an example. I had food spoilage during Hurricane Sandy, 8 days without power. I called the agent, he walked me through all my options, explained what to do, not to do and his office also started my claim

Many HO policies provide food spoilage coverage due to power failure. Typically there is a limit of $500-$1,000, subject to a special deductible, typically $50-$100. Make a list and take a couple of pictures and you should be good to go.

Op, while at face value, many will say an agent makes no difference, however I have to disagree.

earlier this year, I needed to make a glass claim on my auto policy and for some reason the glass coverage was missing on one of my cars, and he went to bat for me to have it retroactively written into the policy so i received coverage and it was paid for. this was after I went directly to the claims department and they wouldn't help me.

fyi, he is an independent agent.

if you are in CA and OR, take a look at wawanesa. it's the lowest rate for me and it's ranked the one of the best, if not the best. Also take a look at Amica.

I must say my State Farm agent and his office were really helpful in a recent claim (located in SF Bay Area). Sure someone at a corporate office handled most of the information gathering but the agent (or one of his admins) kept us updated, followed up on several issues for us, and for the most part, kept it really hands off for us while leaving us with the impression that they were really going to bat for us.

I've never had to file a claim but my State Farm agent is friendly, helpful, and smokin' hot. Sometimes I drop by her office to do the /discount double check/.

Pics? On her website maybe ?

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Pics? On her website maybe ?ubermichaelthomas, did you log into the wrong account again?

gonewiththewind said:   I have had claims exp with Geico state fram and allstate.
Getting the safe driver discount these days? (or any insurance at all?)

qcumber98 said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Pics? On her website maybe ?ubermichaelthomas, did you log into the wrong account again?
No
Just had a very good experience with my insurance agent a few years ago, but now looking for a new one

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   qcumber98 said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Pics? On her website maybe ?ubermichaelthomas, did you log into the wrong account again?
No
Just had a very good experience with my insurance agent a few years ago, but now looking for a new one
How far would you go? http://www.southocinsurance.com/

I've flown halfway across the globe . LA is nothing .

Not bad at all. Not my type though .

No I meant, how far would you go on her? All the way??

What's your type? The chicks from India? You can click through the State Farm agent locator search results like a dating website. Maybe there should be a separate thread for hot insurance agents that give you the best discounts and a happy ending.

A good insurance agent puts his ethics aside and works for you over the company to make sure you get paid and quickly. That's how all of these guys in small towns are in business for 30 years and everybody in town uses the same guy. Crap hits the fans he's got your back no matter what.

kensat30 said:   A good insurance agent puts his ethics aside and works for you over the company to make sure you get paid and quickly. That's how all of these guys in small towns are in business for 30 years and everybody in town uses the same guy. Crap hits the fans he's got your back no matter what.
That typically works better with an independent agent who sells many different carriers

Captive agents don't go against the only company that feeds them

dnickerson said:   dewolfxy said:   RareWS6 said:   i think a good agent is important. Let me give you an example. I had food spoilage during Hurricane Sandy, 8 days without power. I called the agent, he walked me through all my options, explained what to do, not to do and his office also started my claim

Many HO policies provide food spoilage coverage due to power failure. Typically there is a limit of $500-$1,000, subject to a special deductible, typically $50-$100. Make a list and take a couple of pictures and you should be good to go.

Yes, food spoilage. $500 max, $100 ded on my policy. Food I tossed was a lot more than $400 I got. I live alone and all my food is per-packaged gourmet, easy to cook meals/soups/steaks with a ton of different dressings/sauces. All thrown out.

Claim turned out to be a very easy process. First they said keep all receipts for new food purchased... then when I finally got a call from adjuster, she just listened to me describe what was in my fridge/freezer and at some point when I had listed enough different foods, she said stop, you reached $500 limit. check in mail 3 days later.

the best service i have ever had was from travelers insurance, they went above and beyond to make my claim hassle free, also they treat their customers like they are human beings, not dollars signs. I recommend them for car and home insurance if your concerned about claims experience. some companies play games trying to delay claims or deny claims, as always GET A LAWYER, even just a free consultation if your involved in a claim situation and it involves other people , like a car accident or a home owners claim , where someone slips and falls on your property. Hope this helps !

I do think beside the agent, the adjuster also plays a big role in your claim process. I has been with Farmers and actually they are really great in one of my property claim process. House was damage by water pipe leak. Since there is no occupant in the house (a rental property but no one in there yet) when the water pipe burst, (I didn't find out until a week later), needless to say, carpet is damage, mold is on drywall, tile was damage, etc. I called the agent and there is not much he can do and the whole claim is going to base on what the adjuster said. And when the adjuster came, we are so nervous and finally he approved all the repairs and restoration. The only thing was not cover is the pipe that burst. It only cost me $200 to have it replace. I can live with that. So, all in all. I am glad the adjuster was being reasonable to the whole claim process.

oh i forget always get the umbrella ! ask for it ! it provides an extra million dollars of protection as a blanket policy that covers both your car and home ! if for some reason your policy taps out and your liability pays in full, the umbrella kicks in and covers you upto an additional 1million. Best of all most umbrellas policies can be had for $10-20 per month extra, its a steal. You don't want to lose your home, because your covered was exhausted and you didn't have enough. Also there are some amazing home owners riders I can recommend for your home insurance, that gives you soo much extra cover for just a few extra dollars. and there are things excluded in your home owners policy that you would be shocked if you knew about. That a simple rider can fix. Most companies won't tell you about them, because its not profitable for them. If anyone is interested let me know, I am happy to share !

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014