Refinance or not?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Since I told my friends what a great place Fatwallet is, everyone is asking me questions...

So here is a friend's question regarding refinancing:

Current Loan: 165,000.00
APR: 3.5
Terms: 30 Fixed
Payment: 916.00
Extra Payment towards principle: 500 every month.

Does it make sense for him to refinance?

Refinance APR: 3.0
Terms: 15 Fixed
Refinance closing cost: $3,000.00

Makes about 50K a year

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

UZ22 said:   Since I told my friends what a great Fatwallet is, everyone is asking me questions...

So here is a friend's question regarding refinancing:

Current Loan: 165,000.00
APR: 3.5
Terms: 30 Fixed
Payment: 916.00
Extra Payment towards principle: 500 every month.

Does it make sense for him to refinance?

Refinance APR: 3.0
Terms: 15 Fixed
Refinance closing cost: $3,000.00

Makes about 50K a year

You can do this using one of the several online refi calculators. Here is a link to the mortgage professor refi calculator.

What you should be looking for is:
(a) the breakeven period: Since you pay 3k upfront, it takes a while to recover that with the lower APR. How long that is and are you likely to be in this house (or with this mortgage) for at least that period?
(b) 15 years would mean higher payments. Can you afford this based on monthly cash flow. Since extra payment of $500 is already being made, perhaps. But with the refi, that is no longer optional but required.

3000 is 6% of your loan for only a .5% reduction. Back of my hand math says no. Just keep paying extra principle or look for a "no closing cost" loan @ Penfed.org.

Red for you, only because he should come post his own question instead of asking you to do it as well as not searching (we had a similar thread pop up recently).

On a 15 year mortage he should be able to get something like 2.675, which is what penfed offers.

I think he can do better than 3% for a loan amount of that size. I have been in the market for refi and for any loans greater > 100k the rates are definitely better than 3%.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.