• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
A couple of years ago, we had this thread up.

The hypothetical is the same: you have a million dollars (tax free in liquid assets).

The million dollars is earmarked for investment - it is not money that the owner lives on or needs for daily survival.

Now, how would you invest it?

Think about the following investment elements and lifestyle choices:

1. Rate of return
2. Government backed guarantee or not
3. Liquidity
4. An investment that gives a return that may be intangible in terms of ecomomics, but gives in other ways like a beach house for family gatherings... you get the the point.

What have I missed?

How would you invest it?

Go!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts

makinbutter (Dec. 11, 2012 @ 7:06a) |

Go away attention hwoar, you're distracting the nerds.

JTFH (Dec. 11, 2012 @ 5:29p) |

STOP!!!

1st in the Finance FAQ.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=52&thre...

Now, can this be beloit... (more)

Technologist (Dec. 12, 2012 @ 11:57a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'll tell you what I'd do man. Two chicks at the same time.

Wait, I think all you need is $200 and a passport to get into Tijuana... but we digress.

Break it up with muni funds, tax free investments (funds or ETFs), p2p lending, some cash on hand.

Five dunkin donuts franchises.

Well built, multi-plex rental properties.

For several years, I lived in a 30 year old apartment complex. This place wasn't fancy and didn't have the gyms, pools, tanning, lounges, etc. that a lot of the places have today. But man, was it built solidly. It was all brick on the outside, very well insulated, adequate sound-proofing, and despite being 30 years old, the floors didn't have a single creak.

I view this as a balanced investment. It's a decent hedge against the dollar losing significant value. It is not directly subject to stock market volatility. The maintenance and management can be delegated to a management company or I can do it myself if I get bored. And the rate of return will be somewhat proportional to changes in the average American salary as time goes on, so I can maintain a healthy standard of living.

$.10 superfectas at the horse track.

RedCelicaGT said:   Five dunkin donuts franchises.

Only $200K for one of those, eh? That doesn't seem too bad.

Rental properties in cash for half, a quarter in safe investments, $50k cash, $200k risky investments. Not much of an investor myself so I won't try to get more specific.

1/5th foreign stocks
1/5 mix of short, medium and long term bonds
1/5 domestic growth stocks
1/5 domestic value stocks
1/10 reits
1/10 bank deposits

10% Fixed Deposit account in India. You'd have 2 million in 7 years...

Somewhat of a conservative portfolio...

60% Index funds with expense ratios under 0.10%
20% REITS or Real Estate Mutual Fund like FRIFX
15% Individual Stocks in companies I like long term (V, COST, WFM)
5% Bank Deposits in various maturities

Would 1 million gold dollar coins be enough to fill a vault and swim in it like Scrooge McDuck?

LaChupacabraj said:   I'll tell you what I'd do man. Two chicks at the same time.

Wish I could give you 10 greens for this. I just watched Office Space last night.

50% on Red

50% on Black

Can't lose

DaGimp said:   50% on Red

50% on Black

Can't lose

Green.

100% in LNCO .. 7.6% dividend yield

Same as I always do, find best rates in FDIC insured accounts. To me it's not what I can make but what I wont lose

LaChupacabraj said:   I'll tell you what I'd do man. Two chicks at the same time.

At our house, it doesn't cost a thing.

Classics cars, that way I would enjoy the investment. Maybe a Miura, and some under appreciated Ferrari.

suezyque said:   LaChupacabraj said:   I'll tell you what I'd do man. Two chicks at the same time.

Go on..

Ten-way Couch Potato Portfolio, with small modifications. Then I go and enjoy family, friends, etc.

It's a good time for real estate. That's where I'd put it. I would look for returns in the 20-50% per year rate. 20% would require capital only, such as being an investor in a private equity fund, and 50% would require weekly involvements as a principal on a project. $1M isn't a whole lot in my area, however. It's about enough to go in on the low side of returns. $2-$3M is required for something with higher returns.

BradisBrad said:   suezyque said:   LaChupacabraj said:   I'll tell you what I'd do man. Two chicks at the same time.

Go on..

And of course... pics or it didn't happen.

You know what I would do if I had a million dollars? I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities.

I would open a gym next to his DD locations

suezyque said:   LaChupacabraj said:   I'll tell you what I'd do man. Two chicks at the same time.

pics?

Wait, your just down the road in Buffalo, aren't you?

MonkeyingAround said:   I would open a gym next to his DD locations

I would open a GNC next to his gym locations.

put it into my current asset allocation, tweak asset allocation to be a bit more conservative.

BradisBrad said:   suezyque said:   LaChupacabraj said:   I'll tell you what I'd do man. Two chicks at the same time.

Go on..

Suffice it to say my BF would tell you that he is a very lucky man.

IrateConsumer said:   What have I missed?

How would you invest it?

Go!

Churn, baby, churn. Imagine the Cash Back check after pushing that capital through your card each month....

I would put it all into "The million dollar home" bag then proceed to beat the next person who asks "What would you do with a million dollars".

build a doomsday bunker.... world is coming to an end

swimming in coins reality
Disclaimer
orangecrushv said:   Would 1 million gold dollar coins be enough to fill a vault and swim in it like Scrooge McDuck?

Even if it could, you would want to avoid doing that.

/physics

DaGimp said:   50% on Red

50% on Black

Can't lose

What if you hit 0 or 00?

SilverII said:   build a doomsday bunker.... world is coming to an endif the world comes to an end, will it matter if you are in a bunker or not?

You mean, besides two chicks at the same time? Nothing. I'd do nothing.

BradisBrad said:   MonkeyingAround said:   I would open a gym next to his DD locations

I would open a GNC next to his gym locations.

I would install coin operated defibrillators inside all of your locations.

Pfffffffffft. 5 Quickie marts in da hood.

Skipping 19 Messages...
STOP!!!

1st in the Finance FAQ.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=52&thre...

Now, can this be beloited from FWF to FWOT???

Thanks!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.