• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
When I login to the Citi bank accounts website I get an offer for the Thank You Preferred.

It gives 15000 points after 1000 spend in three months. 5 points per dollar on gasoline, drug stores, and groceries for the first twelve months. Zero interest on purchases and balance transfers for twelve months. No mention of a cap for the amount of points so it appears this could be very lucrative for some people. The standard offer is 10000 points after 500 so this is a little better. I know most people on here only do $300+ bonuses, but the 5 points per dollar is really good in my opinion.

I also see no mention of it not being transferable and only intended for certain people.


https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-thankyou-preferred-card/

Member Summary

Citi Promo
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Go for it and let us know how it works out for you.

TDSAX (Aug. 22, 2013 @ 10:57a) |

But in a different thread. This one almost was put to rest. Almost kwest!

BradisBrad (Aug. 22, 2013 @ 11:50a) |

Yes, you can contract hives or gastric disturbances.

qwerty12345otron (Aug. 22, 2013 @ 9:09p) |

.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I like this promotion is better: 40,000 bonus points, spend $3000 in the first six months and $3000 in the second half of the year
http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc/thankyou/Preferred/2012/Nov...

If your 6k spend is on grocery/drug/gas, then you'd net more points with the OP deal, plus 0% APR and you wouldn't have to make sure to split it evenly between the two semesters. Just sayin

You will benefit more from OP's card when you spend at least $521+/mo on the items with "x5 points", which should be easy to do for most. Below is $521/mo for 12 months, assuming the full $521 on OP's card is gas/Drugstore/grocery.

With OPs card: you would get 15,000 bonus + 31,260 from purchases = 46,260

With MediKits card: you get 40,000 Bonus + 6,252 from purchases = 46,252

Does anyone know if GC purchases at, lets say, safeway would count as a grocery purchase? I figure they would try to differentiate between GC and other purchases, but really have no idea.

And I was just about to sign up for a penfed card! This is the best I see for the next 12 months unless I'm missing something...

chrislk1986 said:   Does anyone know if GC purchases at, lets say, safeway would count as a grocery purchase? I figure they would try to differentiate between GC and other purchases, but really have no idea.

I've pre-bought a year's worth of safeway gift cards to later spend myself, once on a Citi and once on a Citizen's bank. No surprises either time.

Edit: Also included some 3rd party gift cards in there and they were no different. I did always buy groceries too at the same time... I've read people say that some banks take action if they see exactly the amount of a VS or MC gift card plus the activation fee for that gift card, like $504.95 or whatever it is.

so...

get this citi preferred card, buy lots of VR's at CVS, load on bluebird, pay bills and make an easy 5%

Thanks OP!

T&C for card looks like unlimited 5% grocery, gas & drug store spend for first 12 months - PLUS - an annual bonus based on length of time card is open. Year 0-1 is a 1% points bonus and should get you total of 6% on grocery & drug store spend, if I am reading this correctly. I did not see it stated that the annual or monthly earnings are capped. Can someone else take a look and advise if I am reading this correct? This might be a good one year play.

update: I just applied for the card and received a "further review necessary" message.

you'll only get 1% of the earnings of the total points you earn for the first year so it wouldn't be 5% + 1%

The 1% annual bonus should be on the 1% base that you earn, not on the 4% bonus. So it is only worth 0.01%. That makes this a 5.01 TYP/$ card. With a Premier used for flying, the CashBack would be worth 5.01 * 1.33 = 6.66%

Medikit said:   I like this promotion is better: 40,000 bonus points, spend $3000 in the first six months and $3000 in the second half of the year
http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc/thankyou/Preferred/2012/Nov...


That is a good bonus. Too late for me as I already have the card. Some people may have difficulty spending 6000 though, so this deal is better for them. For me the 5% on drugstores and groceries will net a lot of points.

couponking1953 said:   

update: I just applied for the card and received a "further review necessary" message.


So did I, but I applied for this and the Premier at the same time, so it was expected. Be prepared to wait on hold for a while. I went to at least three different departments with this application and was on hold for around three minutes for the first two and ten minutes for the last one. The Premier was about a five minute hold but still a while. I came out with 5000 for this and 6500 for the Premier.

In for one. I've needed a good 5%. Thanks OP.

has anyone heard of $25 Shell cards costing only $20, if you redeem 5 thank you points? Does anyone have link to this (I wonder what the limit is, I need $1,000 of gascards for NY-FL-NY Xmas trip)?

has anyone heard of $25 Shell cards costing only $20, if you redeem 5 thank you points? Does anyone have link to this (I wonder what the limit is, I need $1,000 of gascards for NY-FL-NY Xmas trip)?

Wonder if I can get approved for this card if I have one already?

Anyone try converting the citi Ty premier card to this one for the 5% cb?

ymarker said:   Anyone try converting the citi Ty premier card to this one for the 5% cb?

It's a signup promotion, you won't get it by converting.

SinglePapa said:   has anyone heard of $25 Shell cards costing only $20, if you redeem 5 thank you points? Does anyone have link to this (I wonder what the limit is, I need $1,000 of gascards for NY-FL-NY Xmas trip)?

I've heard of such a thing from an old bag lady wandering aimlessly through the snow covered streets of New York. I could tell you of this mysterious woman, but she also gave me another tip. She said, should someone ask you of this day, tell them about the google.

Damn these are nothing like the previous deals. I redeemed $500 for spending $3000 in 3 months. I would just wait for that to come along

Did anyone save the link for OP's card. When you click on the very first link, it only shows $150 and not the 5 points per dollar.


Never mind. Googled everywhere and all offers were the 15,000 but only 1 point. Called Citibank, told them the offer I was looking for and they offered it to me. They did the application over the phone and approved me on the spot emphasizing over and over about the 5 points for gas, grocery, drug for 12 months. That means I go back to buying gift cards at the grocer or CVS for Home Depot, restaurants, etc. to get the 5% on those type of purchases.

i only use all my cc bonus points for CashBack. when i called to find out how the thank you preferred card worked for this option, i found that you only get a $50 check for 10,000 points or a $100 credit card for 14,000 points, so not so great

I do not see the additional points for gasoline etc at the link in the OP.

Do I have to be logged in to the citibank site to see that?

Onenote said:   I do not see the additional points for gasoline etc at the link in the OP.

Do I have to be logged in to the citibank site to see that?


OP link has been redirected to a crappier card.

remmymom said:   i only use all my cc bonus points for CashBack. when i called to find out how the thank you preferred card worked for this option, i found that you only get a $50 check for 10,000 points or a $100 credit card for 14,000 points, so not so great

If you bank with someone other than Citibank, you can request the Mortgage Payment option (1:1) and they will send you a check you can deposit. I have my "mortgage payments" made out to Chase Bank.

Edit: Checks do NOT mention anything about a mortgage. I've had no problems depositing my checks directly to savings/checking account using both the ATM and the Chase iPhone check deposit app. Checks ARE made out to the name of the bank you tell when you request the mortgage payment.

Not sure what is going on, but I posted the actual link. I reckon they noticed a slew of applications so may cancel it soon. I suggest people apply for it now while they can.

twofacelady said: Googled everywhere and all offers were the 15,000 but only 1 point. Called Citibank, told them the offer I was looking for and they offered it to me. They did the application over the phone and approved me on the spot emphasizing over and over about the 5 points for gas, grocery, drug for 12 months. That means I go back to buying gift cards at the grocer or CVS for Home Depot, restaurants, etc. to get the 5% on those type of purchases.

OP-I explained how I got Citibank to offer me the 5%. I had seen your actual link yesterday morning showing the 5% and by lunchtime it was changed to 1%. I'm good for 12 months of 5% plus the $150. I don't need Cash Back as I can always use the points for cruises ($100=10,000 points), WalMart, Home Depot etc. Same as Cash Back for me as I frequent these places all the time.

Just showed 5x points back when I applied...

naas said:   I've pre-bought a year's worth of safeway gift cards to later spend myself, once on a Citi and once on a Citizen's bank. No surprises either time.

Edit: Also included some 3rd party gift cards in there and they were no different. I did always buy groceries too at the same time... I've read people say that some banks take action if they see exactly the amount of a VS or MC gift card plus the activation fee for that gift card, like $504.95 or whatever it is.


I bought some safeway gift cards (at Genuardi's) last year for the same purpose to max out my Grocery store reward for a quarter, but I took my time using them. Luckily I found out beforehand that safeway was closing all local Genuardi's stores and selling them to Giant. I had less than two weeks to spend $400 in gift cards, which isn't that easy for just two people. There are no other local stores that I would have been able to use those cards for and would have probably had to sell them online. So just be careful on how much you stock up on gift cards to Any store.

Around here safeway sells lots of 3rd party gift cards, that I sometimes buy with my safeway gift cards. Did Genuardi's do that? This was to be part of my exit strategy if I found myself in the same spot you did. It would be good to know if the "other" brands of safeway are different.

I applied for this card (thanks, OP) and was approved after an online chat rep moved some of my credit line from another Citi card. He confirmed the 15K bonus after spending $1K, as well as the 0% for 12 months, but he was unable to confirm the 5X on gas, groceries, Drugstore. He said there would be more information in the materials that came with the card. I hope I end up getting the 5X, as it was clearly stated on the application page at the time I applied.

How did u get the online chat? I can't seem to find it?

RagingBull said:   How did u get the online chat? I can't seem to find it?


Immediately right after you submit your application, sometimes Citi doesn't approve you instantly but will give you an option to chat or a phone number to call.

strange i didn't get that option

Pick one (probably the 1st one):

Citibank Credit Card
800-763-9795 (Credit Dept.)
888-201-4523 (? Business New App Approval Status)
888-662-7759 (AA)
800-645-7240, 800-288-4653, 800-750-7453 (App Status)
800-444-2568 (Retention Dept BEST#)
866-713-5028 (Credit Bureau Dispute Fax)
866-606-2961 (? Business Apps)
Citi: 866-606-2787 (Account Analyst)
Citi: 800-763-9795 (Credit Dept.)

is there a live link at this point?

echip said:   RagingBull said:   How did u get the online chat? I can't seem to find it?
Immediately right after you submit your application, sometimes Citi doesn't approve you instantly but will give you an option to chat or a phone number to call.
Yes, what happened for me is that after I applied, Citi sent me an email saying further processing was needed, and giving me a link to check my application status. A couple days later, when I checked the link, I got a message asking me to call them, and at that time, a link popped up with the chat.

pwm112 said:   is there a live link at this point?Link in OP is still working for me at this point.

mjoply said:   I reckon they noticed a slew of applications so may cancel it soonCITI can and will kill posted links

Skipping 185 Messages...
kwest said:   Anyone w/ experience purchasing more than 1k beans at a time now that it's possible - any adverse reactions from Citi?
Yes, you can contract hives or gastric disturbances.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014