IRA for partial year worker

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi Gurus

I was in US till 2009 and contributed to traditional IRA 2 years till then. Then I moved to Canada.
This year I started working from Aug 1st for US employer , remotely (at home) in Canada.
I moved to US back from Nov 12. I did not plan to contribute anything to Canadian RRSP(IRA of Canada)
Will someone be kind enough to let me know hoe much I can contribute this year for IRA (5 months work and 2 month stay till this year end)

Also how much my wife can contribute who worked in Canada till Oct end(no contributions there) , no job started here ye and no plans to work for her till year end?

Appreciate your help!!
Andy

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You: The amount that will show on your joint US tax form 1040 line seven or $5000, whichever is less.

Your wife: The amount shown on your joint 1040 line seven less the amount that you contributed or $5000, whichever is less.

Between the two of you, the total of line seven or 10k.

thanks! So I will come to know only when I file taxes?

Andy

The length of time you worked is a non-issue. It's all about your earnings in US. How much did you make while you lived in the USA?

But you have until mid April 2013 (roughly) to make contributions for 2012, so you have lots of time and will have figured out your 1040 line 7 by then.

samandy said:   thanks! So I will come to know only when I file taxes?

Andy

Or as soon as you you know what will wind up on there. And as mentioned you can make the contribution even after you file, up until April 15th 2013. It's the sure way to get it right.

Got it! Thanks all. I made more than 5K this year in US.

samandy said:   Got it! Thanks all. I made more than 5K this year in US.

If between you and your wife, you've earned 10k or more you can EACH contribute up to 5k, even if she earned less than 5k.

What if my wife did not earn in US? We just moved ,and she earned in Canada but not here yet?
Appreciate any input!

samandy said:   What if my wife did not earn in US? We just moved ,and she earned in Canada but not here yet?
Appreciate any input!

No go.
ETA: This was mentioned above but worth repeating. If YOU have 10k in US earned income, both you and your spouse each qualify for the max 5k contribution.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.