• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Went to a restaurant I have been to before without problems. Paid the bill and left. Noticed during real time alerts that a charge was processed which I did NOT make.

So the initial charge processed and in addition, a large charge also went thru from the same merchant.

Anyone else had this happen to them before?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
What and no thank you!

JaxFL (Dec. 12, 2012 @ 4:56p) |

What do you mean "what"?

golfball7773 (Dec. 12, 2012 @ 8:31p) |

Esp since there is ironclad federal law protecting your rights (and money) for 60-90 days.

Zaos (Dec. 12, 2012 @ 11:01p) |

Grex did not provide all the information in his original post. Nothing is out of the ordinary here. Restaurant ran a pending charge for the amount of his bill pre-tip and when the restaurant closed out at the end of the night they ran the full correct amount all the way through. Two charges did not make it through. The OP is extremely misleading, as usual. Stop now and do not continue wasting your time.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Had a double charge once from a restaurant. I would call them first and tell them what happened and see if they will remove the charge....if they know you there (or see that you have been there multiple times based on the transaction) they probably will. Otherwise call the CC company and dispute the charge.

Call the restaurant and ask to have the erroneous charge reversed. If that doesn't work, then dispute with credit card company.

I imagine either the server swiped once and thought it didn't go through or someone gave themselves a big tip. Only the establishment will know if this is a one-off or a trend, and they probably won't share that info with you anyhow.

Yeah I'll do that.

It was so blatent though. I did recall the person who took my card wasn't the same person who returned it, but I didn't think anything of it.

But making a false transaction at the same restaurant seems like it would be easy to get caught.

The restaurant has multiple locations with a good reputation.

An additional option is to yell and fuss and hope they give you free food to make you happy.

but seriously, the advice given by others is the correct advice.

Nope, don't want free food, just an explanation for why it happened and my money back.

Happened to me. I called Citibank and the rep said I need to go back to the restaurant and collect. I hung up on that rep. Called back and spoke to another who knew how to handle it. Got credit then.

grex23 said:   Nope, don't want free food, just an explanation for why it happened and my money back.

Either the restaurant or your credit card company should be able to provide a refund in short order.

As for why it happened, I think its safe to assume that either:
1) An employee made a mistake and placed either someone else's charge on your card.
2) The restaurant is encouraging their employees to run excess transactions to people's cards and hope they miss them.

I'm got my suspicions on 2. Probably just an error. What sort of explanation are you looking for exactly? I'm 99% sure they'll just say "whoops, we screwed up...sorry" and refund you. I have a hard time imagining that the restaurant will fess up to 2 if you call them. If you're that concerned about the possibility, you'll need to bring it up locally (call the local news and see if others have had the same issue?).

Happened to me a month ago for a biz meeting with a 4 figure bill . Apparently their CC processor were the one that caused the issue and many patrons that week were impacted. Issue resolved in about 5 days.

Are you sure there were actually two posted charges? It's fairly common to see two pending transactions. One is the initial authorization for the amount of the meal, and then a second one for the amount + tip. The amount + tip ends up posting, and the other authorization eventually falls off.

edit: just realized you're saying one charge was for an odd/large amount. Nevermind!

This happened to me on New Years Eve a few years ago. I think they froze a chunk of money in advance, and then either forgot to unfreeze it or were slow to unfreeze it after our dinner. This resulted in 2 charges. I called the restaurant. A few days later, one of charges disappeared leaving only the correct amount.

I wonder if you could get double reimbursed legally? Once from restaurant. And again by bank.

The bank will catch it. They review there claims to be sure they are not out an money

How long has it been? If it's been more than a few days then yeah call the restaurant and your bank. Otherwise wait at least a couple days to see if it clears on it's own.

I had this at a neighborhood coffee shop. The total was 8. I gave a dollar tip. Then I saw a $9 charge on the same day. CAlled AMEX and disputed. Was credited back. The rep asked if I spoke to the restaurant about it. I told her, it's an $8 charge from a month ago. I don't have the receipt.

cr3s said:   I had this at a neighborhood coffee shop. The total was 8. I gave a dollar tip. Then I saw a $9 charge on the same day. CAlled AMEX and disputed. Was credited back. The rep asked if I spoke to the restaurant about it. I told her, it's an $8 charge from a month ago. I don't have the receipt.

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but it sounds like you disputed a valid transaction?

cr3s said:   I had this at a neighborhood coffee shop. The total was 8. I gave a dollar tip. Then I saw a $9 charge on the same day. CAlled AMEX and disputed. Was credited back. The rep asked if I spoke to the restaurant about it. I told her, it's an $8 charge from a month ago. I don't have the receipt.

So essentially you stole $8 of food if I'm reading this correctly.

Keep in mind that sometimes your credit card company will credit back the money, as a courtesy to you, esp for small amounts. They may not even go through official dispute. So it may be best to deal with merchant.

Not sure why so many here want to assume theft before mistake. Call or drop by restaurant and explain, allow them to correct mistake. I don't agree with others who say to dispute with credit card without first contacting the restaurant. Recently I was overcharged at a restaurant and when I went back a few days later to correct the mistake, the manager explained that the employee had already been fired for tip overcharging. The manager reached in his pocket and gave me back the overcharge amount in cash, seemed like I wasn't the only one.

This happened to me once. All I did was call the customer service number for the restaurant (this was a chain) and they took care of contacting the restaurant and refunding the second charge for me. If I remember correctly, I think I also got a gift card out of the deal as well, to make up for the inconvenience.

Sad to see it has happened so many times. I contacted the restaurant via email who said they would look into it and get back to me. Last I saw charge was still in pending. So I am hopeful it will be removed and if not I will dispute the transaction with the CC issuer.

Unrelated note: I also attempted to pay my broadband connection with a different card on an unrelated note and the transaction gave conflicting messages and I didn't resubmit the card. But I paid it early so I'll wait a week to see if it went through or not.

2 errors, 2 different times.

Sometimes the bill is put in a "pending" state, then the bill+TIP is charged, then the pending bill charge is canceled.

Does the amount sound like a tip or a tip with an extra zero mistakenly added? Were you drinking heavily? This happens to me when I drink.

No I was not drinking and it was not right in any way shape or form. The 1st amount was the pending charge without tip. Amount got charged the right amount. The other charge is still pending. Place said they would get back to me but they haven't so far but the charge has not been put into final state.

Both charges were placed the same day in the same evening. Will be disputing with the CC issuer IF the charge moves from pending to final. It has not so far. I was alerted to a charge I did not make. The 1st processed charge was correct.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're in the right and I'd give them a few days. They'll try and pull a receipt and see that you were mistakenly charged and just refund you.

They can't have much to gain by double charging a customer, and when you show two charges...they'll know you didn't eat there twice within 20 minutes.

Could be a simple mixup. I often see shared credit card machines. Server swipes your card, sets it down and walks away to do something else while it processes. Second server comes by and swipes someone else's card, or swiped yours again thinking it was in queue.

I did have a restaurant in the Memphis airport over charge me once. I usually just tip in even dollar amounts. Say my bill was $14.58. I would tip $3.00 for a total of $17.58. Since this was a business trip, when I reconciled my expense report I found they had charged me $18.00. Probably a great scam - hundreds of people a day, no regulars, business people that don't worry too much about 50 cents. I did report it and got a credit for the 42 cents. Not sure if AMEX went after them, but at least it might show a pattern.

So what are the charges on your card? It was a "large amount" earlier, now it's a pending transaction without the tip.

Did you tip higher than usual? Restaurants setup under older processing agreements authorize for meal plus a predetermined tip percentage and adjust for the correct amount afterwards. Newer agreements allow restaurants to submit a charge for the amount of the authorization plus a certain percentage (authorizing only the meal amount).

Either way if the tip is higher than that, the system automatically gets a new authorization and lets the old one expire (cancels it, but few banks properly handle canceled authorizations so basically you are left to wait for it to expire). I've had it happen when I have a small bill and tip an even number -- bumping my tip over the 20% they're allowed to submit under the original authorization.

Did you use a different card than usual? I've also found, repeatedly, one of my Visa cards will always keep the original charge pending for days and never properly matches it up with the charge+tip transaction submitted under that authorization.

bump for another useless thread. once the charges are finalized, call or visit restaurant if there is a problem. if not resolved, dispute with cc.

That has happened to me a couple of times. The charges were removed within a couple of days, before I even called anyone on it.

Great... all these for a pending charge?! You are wasting everyone's time.

Stop feeding the troll.

Especially ones that have been on this forum long enough that it would be near impossible for them to not know what to do in this situation.

I just forgot my wallet at home. I think I'll start a thread about that in finance forum.

king0fSpades said:   I just forgot my wallet at home. I think I'll start a thread about that in finance forum.Judging from some of the responses in this thread, I think some would wrongly recommend that you call the credit card that you bought the forgotten wallet with, dispute the charge, and get your money back.

grex23 said:   No I was not drinking and it was not right in any way shape or form. The 1st amount was the pending charge without tip. Amount got charged the right amount. The other charge is still pending. Place said they would get back to me but they haven't so far but the charge has not been put into final state.

Both charges were placed the same day in the same evening. Will be disputing with the CC issuer IF the charge moves from pending to final. It has not so far. I was alerted to a charge I did not make. The 1st processed charge was correct.

Did you not read the post above this? This is how many restaurants do things. They run a pending charge for the amount of your dinner and then at the end of the night when they close out they run the real amount all the way through. The pending charge will fall off. I still can't decide if you're a worthless troll or a notorious too-much-time-on-my-hands society clogger. Like if my grandma knew how to post to a forum, this is what it would be like.

Seriously, freaking out about a pending charge? Do you check the credit card website every 15 minutes?

*PENDING*

This forum post might remain in this thread between 1-14 business days.

Real time alerts?

You need to calm down a bit.

Crazytree said:   Real time alerts?

You need to calm down a bit.

Us hustlers need to be on top of our CC bills, yo.

This is somewhat common. Server may have entered an incorrect amount and swiped the card before they noticed they made a mistake. Had manager void the charge, and then reran it with the correct amount.
Both charges will show as pending, but only one will go through. Will auto-correct on your statement after a few days.

The correct thing the server needs to do is drop off the check, inform the patron that an additional charge was made, will show up for a few days, but will not go through. Showing the mini-printed "Charge Voided" slip is always a plus.

OTOH, manager needs to make sure the server knows what going on and/or inform them.

Lesson learned...don't spaz over pending charges.

Screw this, I'm off to bed.

I work for a bank on the teller line and it is people like you that make me want to drink after work everyday. No need to freak out like the senior citizens that call in every 10 minutes for a balance inquiry. Relax and it will be okay.....

golfball7773 said:   I work for a bank on the teller line and it is people like you that make me want to drink after work everyday. No need to freak out like the senior citizens that call in every 10 minutes for a balance inquiry. Relax and it will be okay.....

What and no thank you!

Skipping 2 Messages...
golfball7773 said:   I work for a bank on the teller line and it is people like you that make me want to drink after work everyday. No need to freak out like the senior citizens that call in every 10 minutes for a balance inquiry. Relax and it will be okay.....

Esp since there is ironclad federal law protecting your rights (and money) for 60-90 days.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.