Drain FSA in 2012

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am trying to drain the FSA this year. Need some helpful ideas. I have already used it for gas to the doctor, got in a routine checkup that would be needed next Feb.. Turned in all med got new glasses for me and hubby. I have used it for dental and everything else that is always mentioned. Still have a balance, so I need some ideas maybe aren't used often. The only thing I can come up with is a pair of high end frames for sunglasses. We have to travel several miles sometimes to see a doctor so I always use it for gas but I am wondering what about food or hotel. If the doctor is so many miles away would that work? Thanks!!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
IIRC there is some kind of line drawn about sunscreen being OK but if it's a "lotion" containing sunscreen it's not elig... (more)

satchelsofgold (Dec. 30, 2012 @ 7:59a) |

The printer is gone...

Sold out or removed?

computerquest (Dec. 31, 2012 @ 12:58p) |

Glucosamine is definitely an fsa eligible expense. You do not need a prescription for it. If you have an FSA debit card,... (more)

Nina47 (Mar. 07, 2013 @ 3:06p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The only food you can claim is hospital=provided meals while you are a patient in the hospital. You can claim lodging under some circumstances, but it doesn't sound like it applies to you. Did you claim mileage for trips to the pharmacy, glasses store, etc.?

A nice blood pressure monitor is good to have, if you don't already have one.

Miles to the eyeglass store, no I didn't count that it is only a few miles but every one counts, thanks great idea.

Got two blood pressure cuffs, guess one could have one spare, one upstairs, one downstairs. I could get a fancy one. Thanks!

Thanks for the link, great information. I am going to get this thing drained.

If it were me, I would call the optical place and order duplicates of your regular glasses. I always get two copies of the same prescription, in the same frame so fit is not an issue and I don't have to get used to them. It is a good thing to have an exact spare.

condoms

sunblocks (I think you can buy expensive kind, as long as the invoice say SPF 30 or above)

How much money are you looking at? Many plans allow you to apply spend up until March 15, 2013 to your 2012 balance

Yep, good idea to have a spare, however I think I have 4 spare pairs now. Can match different outfits maybe. Single vision is all I need so I use Zenni Optical for a couple extra when they have a sale. My Rx changes very little. Perhaps a spare pair of sunglasses this year! Thanks!

Sunblock could be useful, I always wondered why it isn't covered when all reports say skin cancer is on the rise. I could use some sunblock. Thanks!!

Ellory, mine says through Dec 31. Have time though till March to submit claims. It was $600 but I am getting it down now with all this information. I am always on the hunt for a good deal on FW. They are paying off and now I can't think like a person who spends a lot of cash. LOL!
Guess I will need to call my mother-in-law, man she can burn the cash. She always buys the most expensive of everything. I can't do that, I want the best product at the best price.

In this area there are abundant radio commercials for virtualphysical.com

FSAstore.com says Glucosamine is FSA eligible without a doctor's note. Is this true? If so, then I can easily drain my FSA this year. Thank you!

shadow1woman said:   Sunblock could be useful, I always wondered why it isn't covered when all reports say skin cancer is on the rise. I could use some sunblock. Thanks!!

Sunblock is covered. Go to drugstore.com and type in FSA sunblock and the options come up. Free shipping over $25 if you do not have Shoprunner. Drugstore has a lot of FSA covered items. I am preshopping for items I will use next year.

My husbands plan allows us to send in receipts until June 2013 for any medical bills from 2012.

At costco, it shows this printer is FSA eligible.. http://www.costco.com/PRINTER%2cLASER%2cDUPLEX.product.100000257...

obrian100 said:   At costco, it shows this printer is FSA eligible.. http://www.costco.com/PRINTER%2cLASER%2cDUPLEX.product.100000257...
Laser Printer qualifies under FSA
More evidence of why our tax code needs massive reform/simplification. Get rid of all the deductions, credits, and reduce the rates across the board. /rant

Queue the "Happy Ending" but...

Massages qualify. Usually a ton of places like Massage Envy have a special for the first one.

Buy Blood Pressure monitors and resell on eBay?

boob job/lipo/lasik

TheGMan said:   This gets asked every year it seems.
I agree. But keep in mind that FSA eligible items is a moving target. 2011 replies might not all be valid for 2012.

alamo11 said:   Buy Blood Pressure monitors and resell on eBay?Fraud

uutxs said:   TheGMan said:   This gets asked every year it seems.
I agree. But keep in mind that FSA eligible items is a moving target. 2011 replies might not all be valid for 2012.

So true, moving target, that is why I asked it again. Thanks!

uutes, moving target is right.

Silverll, don't want any surgery.

obrian100 said:   At costco, it shows this printer is FSA eligible.. http://www.costco.com/PRINTER%2cLASER%2cDUPLEX.product.100000257...

Is this for real or just Costco is making a mistake? I can certainly use an all-in-1 to scan receipts and print forms to file FSA claims.

Get contacts. In one shot you will run out of thousands of dollars for yearly supply. Usually, at the end of the year, rugstore/VisionDirect runs promos to give you some good CashBack to boot.

Medical marijuana.

Or so I've heard.

ellory said:   alamo11 said:   Buy Blood Pressure monitors and resell on eBay?Fraud

Anyone have any official links saying that this is actually not allowed? Does the IRS care what I do with the blood pressure monitor/breast pump/case of condoms once I get reimbursed for it?

obrian100, laser printer, is that possible? I don't have a membership with Costco but that shouldn't have anything to do with it. Thanks, I may check that out.

Thanks for all the great ideas, I knew I could count on FW folks to help!

ellory said:   alamo11 said:   Buy Blood Pressure monitors and resell on eBay?Fraud

I here RA has a good return policy.

JeebusSaves said:   ellory said:   alamo11 said:   Buy Blood Pressure monitors and resell on eBay?Fraud

Anyone have any official links saying that this is actually not allowed? Does the IRS care what I do with the blood pressure monitor/breast pump/case of condoms once I get reimbursed for it?
See here

To qualify for reimbursement, health care expenses not covered by your medical and dental plan must be considered expenses for medical care under Section 105(b) or 213(d)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code.
and IRS code here There shall be allowed as a deduction the expenses paid during the taxable year, not compensated for by insurance or otherwise, for medical care of the taxpayer, his spouse, or a dependent (as defined in section 152, determined without regard to subsections (b)(1), (b)(2), and (d)(1)(B) thereof), to the extent that such expenses exceed 7.5 percent of adjusted gross income.

An item resold (or bought in excess) is clearly not for your medical care and selling it is "otherwise compensated"

The fact that you got reimbursed from your FSA administrator does not constitute IRS approval. In point of fact, your FSA administrator could get audited for compliance, exposing your fraud

By the way OP, gas is not a qualified expense, but 23 cents per mile plus tolls and parking is

VerbalK said:   ellory said:   alamo11 said:   Buy Blood Pressure monitors and resell on eBay?Fraud

I here RA has a good return policy.
Fraud

If I purchase 4 ~ 5 Sisley Sunblocks which is like ~$160 each, will this be denied?
I also have some money left over for FSA, and buying few expensive sunblocks seems easiest way to get rid of FSA.

And this is why HSA are so superior. Wish everyone would switch to them, I sure was happy when my employer did. Especially when OTC stuff became non-eligible. Can your doc give you a script for pain reliever stuff, so you can get advil/asprin/etc under FSA? Do you need baby stuff? pumps can be expensed. etc.

yupkisama said:   If I purchase 4 ~ 5 Sisley Sunblocks which is like ~$160 each, will this be denied?
I also have some money left over for FSA, and buying few expensive sunblocks seems easiest way to get rid of FSA.

Only your plan administrator can tell you their specific rules

Skipping 19 Messages...
Glucosamine is definitely an fsa eligible expense. You do not need a prescription for it. If you have an FSA debit card, all you have to do is pay with it and there is no paperwork to submit! If for any reason your benefit provider declines that charge later, FSAstore.com has a 100% FSA eligible guarantee and will return your money.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014