• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Like Chase, Q1 looks like a bag of suck:

Zappos.com
Fitness clubs
Drugstores

Perhaps Fitness clubs offsets Discover's Restaurant category for Q1

*Update* signup is now active. Login and view your account activity. Q1 Link will be at the bottom.

I'm not sure that this is a valid data point, but I've had an unused Citi card that I never bothered to sign up for any of the quarterly bonuses. Part-way into October this year, I received a snail-mail targeted offer that added restaurants as a category, in addition to the other Q4 categories for that card. I wonder if there's value in *not* signing up for the lousy quarterly deals, in hopes of coaxing more out of 'em...

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I had sockdrawed my card so long I couldnt find it. When I called to request a replacement, the rep noticed I hadn't us... (more)

Zoot (Mar. 26, 2013 @ 7:43a) |

Wish I had called... How is Citi with the charge date/post date? If the purchase date is in the correct month, but the p... (more)

infogirlgeek (Mar. 26, 2013 @ 7:08p) |

Seems like they should? I will find out on 04/06 unless someone else confirms sooner.

s3riously (Mar. 26, 2013 @ 7:19p) |

• Also categorized in:

No healthcare either this year. bah.

Time to buy gift cards at CVS, perhaps?

yup, that's the best bet. Giftcards at pharmacies, might earn some ECB or UP Rewards like last couple of weeks on specific GCs.

I am surprise every talk about the Chase Freedom card 5% Drugstore C.B. but no one responded to this post. I believe Citi Dividend is better than Chase Freedom this quarter, simply because the Freedom card has a limit cap of $1500 per quarter (max $75 CB), where as Dividend card has no quarterly cap, only yearly cap of $6000/yr (max $300). So it's time to take out your Dividend card from the drawer to get some GC's at drugstores.

Already maxed it buying vanilla beans.

On my way. Citi folks will be surprised on why card is no longer sock drawered.

echip said:   I am surprise every talk about the Chase Freedom card 5% Drugstore C.B. but no one responded to this post. I believe Citi Dividend is better than Chase Freedom this quarter, simply because the Freedom card has a limit cap of $1500 per quarter (max $75 CB), where as Dividend card has no quarterly cap, only yearly cap of $6000/yr (max $300). So it's time to take out your Dividend card from the drawer to get some GC's at drugstores.

I have both cards and am using Chase Freedom for drugstores precisely because of Citi Dividend's flexibility. The reason is that none of Freedom's other categories this quarter are of interest to me, and it's very unlikely that I'll spend $1500 this quarter on drug stores. So, I might as well use Freedom for drug stores this quarter and save the Citi Dividend card so that I can spend up to $6000 on it the rest of the year, if they have good categories in subsequent quarters.

TooManyCards said:   echip said:   I am surprise every talk about the Chase Freedom card 5% Drugstore C.B. but no one responded to this post. I believe Citi Dividend is better than Chase Freedom this quarter, simply because the Freedom card has a limit cap of $1500 per quarter (max $75 CB), where as Dividend card has no quarterly cap, only yearly cap of $6000/yr (max $300). So it's time to take out your Dividend card from the drawer to get some GC's at drugstores.

I have both cards and am using Chase Freedom for drugstores precisely because of Citi Dividend's flexibility. The reason is that none of Freedom's other categories this quarter are of interest to me, and it's very unlikely that I'll spend $1500 this quarter on drug stores. So, I might as well use Freedom for drug stores this quarter and save the Citi Dividend card so that I can spend up to $6000 on it the rest of the year, if they have good categories in subsequent quarters.

You don't have to spend $1500 on Drugstore this quarter. What category do you need? There are gc's for gas, Ammazon, and all kind of retails stores such as Home Depot, Lowes, Macys. If you're unsure, maybe get $500 Visa gc's for a $4.95 fee. But you still net around 4%.

So one could potentially max out this card's rewards in one quarter and return it to the sock drawer...

echip said:   You don't have to spend $1500 on Drugstore this quarter. What category do you need? There are gc's for gas, Ammazon, and all kind of retails stores such as Home Depot, Lowes, Macys. If you're unsure, maybe get $500 Visa gc's for a $4.95 fee. But you still net around 4%.

Thanks for your thoughts, but there's only so far I'm willing to go with the Cash Back thing. I've done the gift card thing and found it not worth the trouble to figure out what I wanted, buy all the cards, hold them until I wanted to use them, remember to use them when I actually made the relevant purchase, etc. If you're willing to do that, more power to you. In my case, though, I'm just going to go the drug store and buy cold medicine and razor blades or something. For that, I'd rather use (some of) Chase Freedom's quarterly cap than Citi Dividend's annual cap, since I don't know what Citi Dividend will be giving 5% Cash Back on the rest of the year and it might be something I do want to spend a lot on.

TooManyCards said:   echip said:   You don't have to spend $1500 on Drugstore this quarter. What category do you need? There are gc's for gas, Ammazon, and all kind of retails stores such as Home Depot, Lowes, Macys. If you're unsure, maybe get $500 Visa gc's for a $4.95 fee. But you still net around 4%.

Thanks for your thoughts, but there's only so far I'm willing to go with the Cash Back thing. I've done the gift card thing and found it not worth the trouble to figure out what I wanted, buy all the cards, hold them until I wanted to use them, remember to use them when I actually made the relevant purchase, etc. If you're willing to do that, more power to you. In my case, though, I'm just going to go the drug store and buy cold medicine and razor blades or something. For that, I'd rather use (some of) Chase Freedom's quarterly cap than Citi Dividend's annual cap, since I don't know what Citi Dividend will be giving 5% Cash Back on the rest of the year and it might be something I do want to spend a lot on.

You are right, don't buy and hold gc's, but I would buy only those gc's I know I'll be using them. For me, $500 of gas, $500 of Home Depot, $500 of Amazon, and the rest on Visa GC's to pay for bills online such as cellphone, utilities, insurance, EZ-pass, etc.

I wish there were generic gas giftcards like the generic Home Improvement GCs sold at RiteAid and CVS. I don't stick to Shell or BP or any other site consistently. Gas Buddy helps determine lowest gas station along my route so would be nice to have a generic gas GC.

echip - totally agree with you, buy GCs in advance on things to spend. For the last two years I haven't made good use of Citi's 5%, 1Q will change that for sure.

I have calendars that can be added to google calendar for the 5% rotating categories on discover and chase freedom. Is there one for Citi Dividend?

famewolf said:   I have calendars that can be added to google calendar for the 5% rotating categories on discover and chase freedom. Is there one for Citi Dividend?

No, because Citi doesn't announce them for the whole year. The quarter's categories are generally announced about 15 days before the quarter begins.

5% (72.42kB)
Disclaimer
I got an email today with an offer for 5% Cash Back on gas, groceries, and Restaurants. This might just be because I haven't used the card since April but it's worth checking your email.

Sashinator00 said:   I got an email today with an offer for 5% Cash Back on gas, groceries, and Restaurants. This might just be because I haven't used the card since April but it's worth checking your email.I got that too (and was looking for an appropriate thread to put it in), on an unused CashReturns card. Except mine said "and everything else" after "dining, groceries, shopping, travel". So it's basically 5% back on the first $500 of purchases. Of course, then I have to come up with another $25 before I can cash it out. What I don't like about Citi is that they tell you that the offer starts "within 4 business days". That means there is no way I'd try using it this weekend and find out that it was not active until Monday.

no "special" email on Dividend for me. Could be because there are purchases from drugstores already this quarter after months of inactivity.

Do they have a restriction on getting the 5% Cash Back on buying "cash equivalents?" I googled to find the card's terms and conditions but it had no paragraph at all in there about "rewards." I noticed that AMEX had such language in their T&C (was pointed out in another thread).

We may just have to wait and see what happens for the person that went on a spending spree on 1/1/2013 (rewards would post or not post to their account first).

I've spent over 3K at drug stores so far, the majority in the first week of the year. All my rewards posted to my statement, and I just requested a check.

All three Dividend cards in the family are done and dusted for the whole year. Thanks Citi for making us $800 (after all the cost) richer this quarter!

TooManyCards said:   echip said:   I am surprise every talk about the Chase Freedom card 5% Drugstore C.B. but no one responded to this post. I believe Citi Dividend is better than Chase Freedom this quarter, simply because the Freedom card has a limit cap of $1500 per quarter (max $75 CB), where as Dividend card has no quarterly cap, only yearly cap of $6000/yr (max $300). So it's time to take out your Dividend card from the drawer to get some GC's at drugstores.

If there's a GC opportunity with a quarterly category I see no reason not to max it out. Plus who knows what Dividend's quarterly offers will be for the rest of the year. Last year I only had use for it in the 1st quarter.

Quick question & Kinda nervous (new to churn). I have purchased 3 VR at local Drugstore in the past week. My "earned dollars" CashBack balance has not changed. Does this accrue with the new statement, or on a rolling basis? Much thanks.

catanpirate said:   Quick question & Kinda nervous (new to churn). I have purchased 3 VR at local Drugstore in the past week. My "earned dollars" CashBack balance has not changed. Does this accrue with the new statement, or on a rolling basis? Much thanks.

Statement. No reason to worry.

Got an offer on my dividend card via regular mail.

- Earning is through 03/31/2012
- 5% CashBack on groceries, gas, restaurants, commuter expense
- $10 CashBack bonus after activating this offer and making first purchase of $10 or more (Note: Already see this on my online account after making first purchase of more than $10)
- Max CashBack is $300 per calendar year.

man, I wish I recd. that offer.

Any rumors yet? We should be days away from an announcement,

Military supply stores, magazine subscriptions and ice cream stands.

Citi_Q2 (152.22kB)
Disclaimer
Earn 5% Cash Back on select purchases with your CitiŪDividend Card

Enroll your CitiŪ Dividend Card to earn 5% Cash Back at The Home DepotŪ, home furnishing and home & garden stores from April 1 through June 30, 2013*

Thanks, Vagrants. It's not actually letting me sign up yet, but it's nice to know what they're offering.

Am I the only one who finds this category to be not terribly useful? It seems to come up every spring, and usually just means me putting the card in the drawer for three months unless a light bulb burns out or something.

Same as Discover for next quarter.

After cleaning out CV$'s supply of ice cream, my $300 maximum has already been hit for all 3 cards. Into the drawer with these until '14.

Has anybody visited CO and purchased weeds? I was joking about weeds, and just popped in my mind. Do they fall "drugstores" category? I google "purchase weed credit card colorado" as key words and this "Payment Options - Denver Relief | Credit Cards Accepted..." came back as my first search result...so I know they take CCs...at least some of them.

Edit: Oh, then the second search result seems to negate all that. I guess I was too hasty.

"Cash-only for medical marijuana at some dispensaries | 9news.com
www.9news.com/.../Cash-only-for-medical-marijuana-at-some-dispe....
Sep 28, 2011 – "She said, 'You can't use your credit cards in here no more,' and I said, 'What? ... no longer allowing purchases to be used for medical marijuana," the ... a medical marijuana advocate and lawyer with Sensible Colorado, said."

Enrollment is live now.

https://dividend.quarterlyoffer.citi.com/

For me, it didn't work when I logged in using my accountonline.com username. Got an error when I picked the card. Worked without error with my citi.com username/password.

dataadmin said:   Same as Discover for next quarter.
Overlapping, but not completely the same.

Citi covers Home & Garden (e.g. nurseries, florists) and Home Furnishing. Discover does not.
Discover covers the whole Home Improvement category. Citi only covers Home Depot in that category, not Lowes or your local hardware store.

sackland87 said:   Military supply stores, magazine subscriptions and ice cream stands.
Please don't excite the rednecks. It's cruel, and they'll riot when they find out you were joking.

I know some people who'd likely reach an annual rebate cap with a weekends shopping for ammunition!

Discover's Home Improvement category includes Lawn & Garden centers... so the only thing Discover doesn't get you is Home Furnishing.

Skipping 4 Messages...
infogirlgeek said:   Wish I had called... How is Citi with the charge date/post date? If the purchase date is in the correct month, but the post date is in the next month with different categories, do they usually still give the 5% rate?

Seems like they should? I will find out on 04/06 unless someone else confirms sooner.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014