• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi guys, any help/advice will be great.

I bought my house in 2010 and did not move in until July of 2011 due to interior remodeling. There was a hail storm on Aug 2011 and we have no idea of it until July 2012 while working outside. I notice i have a policy that states 1 year from lost to claim depreciation money back after i file for the claim already. When the inspector came and did an adjustment after i file the claim. I have about 2 weeks left till my 1 year date passes. Here is my problem, once you made the claim there is no turning back cuz you can not tell the insurance just to wipeout my claim and pretend that i never made a claim. So i got part of the money and the rest can be claim after the job is done. the other problem is that the adjuster only paid for 2 sides of the house and the other 2 side he don't care. So i file another claim for the other 2 side that went well without issue and paid in full already. So now that the job is done, the company is not willing to pay the depreciation cuz we did not finish the job by the 1 year date of loss. Before the 1 year date was over i did contact the adjuster for an extension for the claim and i got ignored and was told NO EXTENSIONS. I also explained that we only have 2 weeks from the inspection and it's not enough time (inspector don't care and keep saying that it's plenty of time). He use the excuse about we waited for the 2nd claim that is why we didn't have enough time. Just to be reasonable how in hell can someone get all the prep work and finish the job in just 2 weeks. We have to see samples, decide on what color we want, order the items, have it ship, schedule an inspection, and if weather permits the job to be work on. Spoke to the manager and same answer. One year from lost is one year from lost nothing else.

Anything i can do at this point or i am just out of luck and have to eat the few grands.

MODS PLEASE DELETE THIS TOPIC FROM DEAL DISCUSSION. PLEASE KEEP IT UNDER FINANCE

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

So let me get this straight.

There was a hailstorm and it took you nearly a year to tell if there was damage?

Then when you finally got the insurance company involved, you waited 5 months before coming here?

FWIW, two weeks is plenty of time. If that's all the time you have.

You don't need to pick colors or materials. You put back up what was there already.

Sorry.

Just pocket the cash and don't get it fixed

yes eat the few grands, cuz
the other 2 side he dont care

BEEFjerKAY said:   So let me get this straight.

There was a hailstorm and it took you nearly a year to tell if there was damage?

Then when you finally got the insurance company involved, you waited 5 months before coming here?

FWIW, two weeks is plenty of time. If that's all the time you have.

You don't need to pick colors or materials. You put back up what was there already.

Sorry.

Like i said in my OP. I moved in and did not work outside until next summer. Hailstorm is hard to spot if you don't look at it closely. Can you give me an estimate example how 2 weeks is enough to get the prep work and have the job done. I don't have a new house so what use to be on it is not being sold anymore. It use to be aluminum siding now i have vinyl replacement.

OliverQuackenbush said:   yes eat the few grands, cuz
the other 2 side he dont care

I file a 2nd claim on the other 2 side and it's already paid for by the insurance company without issues. The problem right now is that the 1st claim is not willing to pay the depreciation because the job was done after the 1 year deadline by a 10 days.

Ok. So this is siding and not roofing. And it took you a year to walk around your house. I get it.

Still wondering how one gets 4-sided hail damage.

And I'm clueless as to what "depreciation" means in this case.

Regardless, when the adjuster is a problem, speak with your agent.

Im sure you know this beef, but It means they initially settle the loss at ACV , the depreciated value of the siding...and will not issue the second payment for replacement cost till it actually gets replaced ,

and sounds like there are terms in his policy stating he must replace within a year if he wants that supplemental payment

Thanks. The wall of text was hard on the eyes.

FWIW, rule of thumb is when it takes a year for the owner to spot the damage it's either a case of the owner trying to get insurance to pay for what's really just normal wear and tear OR a case of neglect.

Neither of which is something underwriters much care for.

I think it is too late now if you are past the year deadline. Presuming they provided and you signed something like this:
Statement for Replacement

Where I worked the insured just needed to notify the insurer of INTENT to make a claim for the recoverable depreciation within the stipulated time. Damage cannot always be repaired within 180 or 365 days, either because the damage is so extensive or there was a dispute that delayed settlement.

Did you happen to communicate to the insurer in writing that you intended to repair the damage?

dnickerson said:   I think it is too late now if you are past the year deadline. Presuming they provided and you signed something like this:
Statement for Replacement

Where I worked the insured just needed to notify the insurer of INTENT to make a claim for the recoverable depreciation within the stipulated time. Damage cannot always be repaired within 180 or 365 days, either because the damage is so extensive or there was a dispute that delayed settlement.

Did you happen to communicate to the insurer in writing that you intended to repair the damage?

I have not sign anything with the insurance company. I don't know if this is normal policy with my insurance or what but what i did is (i called to make a claim, they send an adjuster out to look at the damage, the adjuster gave me a check the same day, from there i was suppose to fix the damage). Like i said in my OP i have 1 year from day of lost to have the repairs done. So what happen is that i did not notice the damages until i was working outside the next summer and 11 month and 2 weeks has been past from the date of lost. By the time i call in to my insurance to make a claim i only have 2 weeks left to have the job done. My insurance is telling me that 2 weeks is plenty of time to have the sidings replace. Which we did not finish the job in 2 weeks so now we cannot claim the depreciation money. Which i did call them and explain that 2 weeks is not reasonable to get the job done.

My insurance know that i was working with a contractor to have the job done. They got all the receipts my contractor sent them. They are denying my claim for the depreciation because we finish the job after the 2 weeks.

BEEF. I honestly did not see damages until the next summer while i was working outside. My siding have no wear and tear only hail damages. Even the adjuster said my sidings are fine and only a few hail damages. You know a few spot here and there. Which is very hard to spot if you don't look at it closely. I don't have to replace my siding if i haven't made the claim with my insurance for hail damage. It's like once you stir the pot you can not stop. What i mean is that i made the claim so either fix the damage or loose the depreciation. So i decide to fix the damage and now i have problem getting the depreciation money because it was done after the 2 weeks.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014